State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to watch past State Opening of Parliaments online from 1952 and onward online? And read The King/Queen Speech from before 1952?

Last edited:
Isn't this something the Prince of Wales should be doing every year? Why is this the first time since 1996 he has attended the State Opening of Parliament. Surely he can make sure his diary is free for such an important event.

After the horribleness of the 90s and assault on the cost of the monarchy, the "other royals" quit attending the Opening of Parliament. It brought down the cost of the event, apparently. Public opinion was not in favor of the whole family trotting out for the event as had happened in the past.

And if you think about it, the Queen is reading what Parliament has written for her, rather than what she might choose to say, right? Much less what Charles might chose to say. Not really Charles' cup of tea, when you think about it.

Perhaps it's no longer wise for the Gloucester's and Kent's to attend the State Opening but I think it's best for the Wales's and Cambridge's to attend. Since they are the main ones that will be attending this very important event yearly anyway.

I noticed a difference this year..
Usually the QUeen first sits down, and then asks the Lords "pray be seated".
But this year, even before sitting down, she asked them to be seated at 1.12, so The Queen and all peers took seat the same time. Not a big thing, just an observation.
And one more thing, at the end of the video, after the Queen's entourage has left the House, the Commons Speaker,PM,Opposition Leader, all bowed in unision before turning back to leave at 13.35
Was that bow for the Queen? Even after she left? Or were they bowing to all the Lords together?
And I also noticed for first time that Queen and DoE bow to House of Lords before leaving..12.57..Maybe they do this thing every year..

Last edited:
long life to Elizabeth II the great!!!!!!!! she realy look healty, thank god for that!

Thank goodness this is one event when we can guarantee there willl be some bling! ( Sorry if this is a rather superficial response to this important occasion.)

Whats different his year..

I ve seen almost every video in Youtube on Parliament Opening today.
But not even one simgle one shows The Queen/PoW arriving at Westminster/walking inprocession nothing.
Everything starts with theQueen entering The House of Lords and ends once she leaves. Why is this? have they changed it?
Will we never see them walking in Sovereign's procession in the future years?

And if you think about it, the Queen is reading what Parliament has written for her, rather than what she might choose to say, right? Much less what Charles might chose to say. Not really Charles' cup of tea, when you think about it.

This could make things interesting when Charles is on the throne.:ROFLMAO:

Whether its his cup of tea or cup of coffee or bowl of soup or not, Charles also has to "read" whatever was put in front of him. No other choice.
And BTW the Princess Royal didnt attend as Gold Stick. Maybe this year the position is rotated to another regiment instead of Blues&Royals..

Last edited:
This could make things interesting when Charles is on the throne.:ROFLMAO:

Why?

Charles knows full well that when he becomes King his outspokenness will have to stop. He also knows that the Queen's/King's speech will be written for him.

She rarely falters when delivering speeches that she has read multiple times before so it is newsworthy when she does falter over words like 'government'.

I somehow think the DM and other rags have been on death watch for awhile now.

I somehow think the DM and other rags have been on death watch for awhile now.

You are right, They have been for awhile. The Globe has been saying that The Queen is dying and is on her Deathbed for the last Ten Years Now! I pretty much ignore them. If Queen Elizabeth was ill Buckingham Palace would be the first to say she was Ill!

I ve seen almost every video in Youtube on Parliament Opening today.
But not even one simgle one shows The Queen/PoW arriving at Westminster/walking inprocession nothing.
Everything starts with theQueen entering The House of Lords and ends once she leaves. Why is this? have they changed it?
Will we never see them walking in Sovereign's procession in the future years?
Last night I watched it live on BBC World on my computer. I don't know if this is available to all but we got the departures from the Palace, the carriage ride, the arrival, the procession to the Robing Room, everything. I didn't think I would be able to watch it all but there it was. I loved every moment of it and appreciated watching history in action.

As an observation may I say that the BBC Commentary was terrific, as were their invited guests. They gave a full running history of what we were seeing. Further, I have to be honest and say that for the first time the Queen seemed "smaller" and a little fragile, weighed down with her regalia as well as sombre, which would be normal for such an occasion but for me it was the first time I actually thought "well she is 87 after all" and she really deserves a very much lighter load.

You are right, They have been for awhile. The Globe has been saying that The Queen is dying and is on her Deathbed for the last Ten Years Now! I pretty much ignore them. If Queen Elizabeth was ill Buckingham Palace would be the first to say she was Ill!

I don't know if that's true or not. They downplayed the illnesses of Princess Margaret and of King George VI quite a bit. Possibly things have changed, but my guess is that the Queen's medical information is regarded as extremely private and is released only on a need to know basis.

They tend to downplay illness in general, unless a hospital is involved.

I doubt we'll know that the Queen is dying (when she does die) until it's imminent, if even then.

Maybe she just had difficulty seeing. (New glasses, headache, poor lighting.)

A few missed words doesn't mean much.

I don't know if that's true or not. They downplayed the illnesses of Princess Margaret and of King George VI quite a bit. Possibly things have changed, but my guess is that the Queen's medical information is regarded as extremely private and is released only on a need to know basis.

We all know there was absolutely nothing physically wrong with HM while reading her speech at Parliament. She was see later on in the day all smiles at the Windsor Horse Show. Watching it all early yesterday morning, I thought that for a couple at 87 and almost 92, they did a tremendous job and looked absolutely regal in their bearing.

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone fumbling over a few words in an 8 minutes speech! Everyone does, including politicians.

The Queen must now be slower and stooped physically, but she doesn't seem to wind down mentally at all. She still has a very commanding voice when reading speeches.

It was the first time I followed the State Opening live on the BBC and I really liked the commentary : it was entertaining, informative and respectful, but with a little bit of mischief and distance too. Just great !:)

I don't know if that's true or not. They downplayed the illnesses of Princess Margaret and of King George VI quite a bit.

The most hilarious downplaying of those times was calling Queen Mary's lung cancer "some gastric problems"..

Queen's new lady-in-waiting took part in ceremony. Who is she?

Attachments

• soop.jpg
    soop.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 293
Whoever the lady is, its a pity she wore off-white instead of the white dress of all the other women in he royal party !

Trivial, i know, but there is intended to be a visual unity on display...

Oman- Thank you for posting the You Tube videos. So much history!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom