The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Courtier

As always, Her Majesty looked marvelous. She has an air of elegance about her that no one else has. Even at her age, she is BEAUTIFUL.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I don't think it was that, , but I definitely thought she was struggling to read it, which I thought was due to her age. She seemed to keep losing track. She also showed her age when she reached for Philips hand to help her down the few steps.
Maybe.... but it seems like she always, every year, reaches for his hand as she begins the journey to leave.

I don't know about the ladies in waiting. The ladies and pages that attend the royal couple every year are different, aren't they? The names of the Pages of Honour are listed here (Palace Press Release) but the names of the Ladies are not mentioned.

I just love to see HM wearing the George IV Diadem.

Getty Gallery
Abaca Gallery (includes fab multi-angle views of the diadem, and the Imperial Crown)
Polfoto Gallery (ten pages of pics)
IBL Gallery (2 pages)

Old 11-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Maybe.... but it seems like she always, every year, reaches for his hand as she begins the journey to leave.
I didn't mean because she reached for his hand, it was more the doddery way she did it. She is certainly showing her age.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I'm still dying for the day when she leads a sing-song from the throne.
My Old Man, perhaps?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:38 AM

Keith Waterhouse, columnist for The Daily Mail, has delivered his thoughts on The Queen's Speech....

It must be the way the Queen tells 'em | the Daily Mail 7 November 2007

Quote:
My Lords and Members of the House of Commons, keep taking the tablets - I cannot think of a fairer way of summarising this week's Queen's Speech.

Like all political speeches nowadays, it followed the old drill sergeant's rule of thumb: First I tells 'em what I'm going to tell 'em. Then I tells 'em. Then I tells 'em what I've told 'em.
Quote:
Like most Queen's speeches down the years, the contents of this one are destined to be made a hash of, watered down or dumped.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbevb View Post
Could some1 plz help me with my previous post about ladies in waiting like who are they , are there any better pictures of there jewels and why dont the other royal members come to the opening of Parliament anymore ?
I think that the L-i-W were The Countess of Airlie and Lady Susan Hussey but I'm not 100%. They wore their own Tiaras and necklaces and the bow which the L-i-W are given by The Queen.

Other members of The RF do attend sometime but it all depend whos free and whether they want to go. It has always been touch and go if anyone apart from The Queen attends. Though in more recent years there has been a decline in how often The PoW or Princess Royal attends.

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Courtier

I don't believe "extra" royals have attended the opening since around 1998 when the Queen decided to constrict the entourage to herself, The Duke of Edinburgh, and two attending ladies, just prior to the reforms in the House of Lords. As far as I know, The Prince of Wales has attended since that time only in his father's absence.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
I don't believe "extra" royals have attended the opening since around 1998 when the Queen decided to constrict the entourage to herself, The Duke of Edinburgh, and two attending ladies, just prior to the reforms in the House of Lords. As far as I know, The Prince of Wales has attended since that time only in his father's absence.
One does suppose that constitutionally this does make sense since the Duke of The Blood Royal no longer sit in the House of Lords, though it is a pity that The Position of The Royal Family has been diminished in this ceremonial manner.

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:44 PM

Note: I only put a year behind a royal or dignitary if I could confirm from a picture their attendance at this event in that year. I'm aware the list is far from complete. It's just a working list.

The Prince of Wales: 1996, 1994, 1970, 1967
The Princess Royal: 2001, 1999, 1985, 1974, 1970
Princess Margaret: 1997, 1996, 1987
The Gloucesters: 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995
The Kents: 1998, 1995, 1987

The Duchess of Grafton (Mistress of the Robes)
2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1993

Lady Susan (Baroness) Hussey (Woman of the Bedchamber)

Baroness Farnham (Lady of the Bedchamber)
2004, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1997, 1993

Lady Elton: 1993

The Pages of Honour 2006 and 2007*
1) George FitzRoy, grandson of The Duchess of Grafton
2) Arthur Hussey, grandson of Lady Susan (the lady-in-waiting who endeared herself to The Prince of Wales and who is godmother to Prince William)
3) Henry Naylor, grandson of Lady Farnham
4) Hon. James Lindsay, grandson of The Earl of Crawford
* See Court Circular for 6 November 2007 as it contains some of this information and more.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Aristocracy

Thank You so much for the help that means alot to me
Old 11-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

The Princess Royal attended in 2006.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
The Princess Royal attended in 2006.
True, but she attends in her cermonial capacity as Gold Stick in Waiting rather as a royal per se.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

As the Queen is advancing in age, shouldn't Prince Charles be attending the opening of Parliament in preparation for his role as King? I wonder why he isn't--it doesn't make sense.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

State Opening of Parliament 2008

The State Opening of Parliament for the 2008-2009 session will take place on Wednesday 3 December 2008.

The thread for the state opening in previous years is here.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Royal Highness

I was wondering what would happen if the Queen was "indisposed " and unable to attend the State Opening of Parliament. I recall reading somewhere that the Lord Chancellor deputised & read the Queen's speech on two occasions quite early on in her reign, but Charles would have only been a young boy then. Would he deputise now? I would think there must be a contigency plan.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen Attends The State Opening Of Parliament, Dec 3 2008.
Getty gallery
Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Just saw the Queen deliver her speech, whch she did with usual aplomb. Just wondered if anybody knew who the two ladies in gowns standing behind her and the DoE were?

Also, wonder how people feel about C&C starting to accompany the Queen to the state opening of parliament? In years gone by, C&D used to.

BBC NEWS | Politics | The Queen's Speech in full
Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Majesty

PPE Agency

courtesy PPE/Nieboer.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

As well as the video of HM reading the speech, at the end is a link to an interesting account of what takes place behind the scenes and how the process works. The ceremonial aspect we see today is largely the creation of Edward VII who was also responsible for restoring the imposing throne and surrounds in the House of Lords.

"Behind the Scenes at The Queen's Speech" - video
BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Behind the scenes at Queen's Speech

Also, from Lucien's PPE link:
The Princess Royal - pic
http://www.ppe-agency.com/preview.ph...-2008%20London
Old 12-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Pics:
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank