State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could some1 plz help me with my previous post about ladies in waiting like who are they , are there any better pictures of there jewels and why dont the other royal members come to the opening of Parliament anymore ?

I think that the L-i-W were The Countess of Airlie and Lady Susan Hussey but I'm not 100%. They wore their own Tiaras and necklaces and the bow which the L-i-W are given by The Queen.

Other members of The RF do attend sometime but it all depend whos free and whether they want to go. It has always been touch and go if anyone apart from The Queen attends. Though in more recent years there has been a decline in how often The PoW or Princess Royal attends.

I don't believe "extra" royals have attended the opening since around 1998 when the Queen decided to constrict the entourage to herself, The Duke of Edinburgh, and two attending ladies, just prior to the reforms in the House of Lords. As far as I know, The Prince of Wales has attended since that time only in his father's absence.

I don't believe "extra" royals have attended the opening since around 1998 when the Queen decided to constrict the entourage to herself, The Duke of Edinburgh, and two attending ladies, just prior to the reforms in the House of Lords. As far as I know, The Prince of Wales has attended since that time only in his father's absence.

One does suppose that constitutionally this does make sense since the Duke of The Blood Royal no longer sit in the House of Lords, though it is a pity that The Position of The Royal Family has been diminished in this ceremonial manner.

Note: I only put a year behind a royal or dignitary if I could confirm from a picture their attendance at this event in that year. I'm aware the list is far from complete. It's just a working list.

The Prince of Wales: 1996, 1994, 1970, 1967
The Princess Royal: 2001, 1999, 1985, 1974, 1970
Princess Margaret: 1997, 1996, 1987
The Gloucesters: 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995
The Kents: 1998, 1995, 1987

The Duchess of Grafton (Mistress of the Robes)
2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1993

Lady Susan (Baroness) Hussey (Woman of the Bedchamber)

Baroness Farnham (Lady of the Bedchamber)
2004, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1997, 1993

Lady Elton: 1993

The Pages of Honour 2006 and 2007*
1) George FitzRoy, grandson of The Duchess of Grafton
2) Arthur Hussey, grandson of Lady Susan (the lady-in-waiting who endeared herself to The Prince of Wales and who is godmother to Prince William)
3) Henry Naylor, grandson of Lady Farnham
4) Hon. James Lindsay, grandson of The Earl of Crawford
* See Court Circular for 6 November 2007 as it contains some of this information and more.

Last edited:
Thank You so much for the help that means alot to me :D

The Princess Royal attended in 2006.

As the Queen is advancing in age, shouldn't Prince Charles be attending the opening of Parliament in preparation for his role as King? I wonder why he isn't--it doesn't make sense.

State Opening of Parliament 2008

The State Opening of Parliament for the 2008-2009 session will take place on Wednesday 3 December 2008.

The thread for the state opening in previous years is here.

I was wondering what would happen if the Queen was "indisposed " and unable to attend the State Opening of Parliament. I recall reading somewhere that the Lord Chancellor deputised & read the Queen's speech on two occasions quite early on in her reign, but Charles would have only been a young boy then. Would he deputise now? I would think there must be a contigency plan.

Just saw the Queen deliver her speech, whch she did with usual aplomb. Just wondered if anybody knew who the two ladies in gowns standing behind her and the DoE were?

Also, wonder how people feel about C&C starting to accompany the Queen to the state opening of parliament? In years gone by, C&D used to.

BBC NEWS | Politics | The Queen's Speech in full

:previous:
As well as the video of HM reading the speech, at the end is a link to an interesting account of what takes place behind the scenes and how the process works. The ceremonial aspect we see today is largely the creation of Edward VII who was also responsible for restoring the imposing throne and surrounds in the House of Lords.

"Behind the Scenes at The Queen's Speech" - video
BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Behind the scenes at Queen's Speech

Also, from Lucien's PPE link:
The Princess Royal - pic
http://www.ppe-agency.com/preview.php?start=15&id=27207&zoektype=2&search=03-12-2008%20London

Last edited:
I was wondering what would happen if the Queen was "indisposed " and unable to attend the State Opening of Parliament. I recall reading somewhere that the Lord Chancellor deputised & read the Queen's speech on two occasions quite early on in her reign, but Charles would have only been a young boy then. Would he deputise now? I would think there must be a contigency plan.

I don't believe he would. When the Queen's back was bad in 2006, there were talks that she might not attend, and the reports said it would be a Commission opening if she didn't. Perhaps he could be a Lord Commissioner, though.

Just saw the Queen deliver her speech, whch she did with usual aplomb. Just wondered if anybody knew who the two ladies in gowns standing behind her and the DoE were?

One was the Countess of Airlie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every year when I see the old Duke of E. I am thinking , that wll be the last time..
But he is still doing well and the Queen with the ages never change..

She's the Lady of the Bedchamber, one of the most senior ladies in waiting. I think she accompanies the Queen to lots of ceremonial occasions.

When was the last time that Charles attended? It would seem that he should be at these events, as he will eventually become king.

When was the last time that Charles attended? It would seem that he should be at these events, as he will eventually become king.

He hasn't been there, I believe, ever since the event was (ever so slightly) downsized during the early years of Tony Blair's government. That's also when the royal peers stopped attending (although that's also because they are no longer members of the House of Lords, which may very well be why Charles no longer attends, as he ceased to be a member of the house in 1999). The number of ladies in waiting was also cut down from three to two, and black rod starts from halfway down the corridor instead of starting from the Lords' chamber.

C & C should be introduced as part of the procession just to get us used to the idea. What role did Princess Anne have this year? Was she in the procession?

sorry for my ignorant, but why the Queen always wear white on the occasion of the SOP? Is it the same dress every year? She also always wear the same necklace isn't she?? Is there any special dress code to the event?

sorry for my ignorant, but why the Queen always wear white on the occasion of the SOP? Is it the same dress every year? She also always wear the same necklace isn't she?? Is there any special dress code to the event?
I'm not really exactly sure banda_windsor, but it has always been a long time that for the Opening of Parliament, HM chooses white dress colour. Some years ago, back in 2004, she wore a gold dress though. I do not think it is the same dress for every year, but the one this year definitely not a new piece, it has been worn in Canada in 2005 i believe.

It isn´t every year the same dress, but in 1998 and 2003 it was. And the neckless is a coronation peace. But I know it not exactly

Ever since her coronation the Queen has always worn her robes of state with a white gown (or predominantly white with gold embroidery etc). White is the symbol of purity and very fitting for her high office. It is also a "colour" that goes best with her crimson robes of state otherwise it would look to colourful. I think the Queen is a traditionalist and is a great upholder of continuity so that the familiarity of the ceremony remains the same. Sudden changes or differences from the previous year such as wearing a blue or red dress might deflect from the solemnity of the occassion and people would comment on what she is wearing rather than her speech. Don't forget, the Queen has no interest in fashion as such and isn't the type to say "right I want something even more flamboyant than last year so lets go for green and pink stripes!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom