ID:	144429   Click image for larger version

Name:	52858689.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	144430  

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 05-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks everybody for the wonderful pictures! This is truly one of the few grand ceremonials left in the royal world todday, it's such a wonderful thing to see! And now we can look forward to the Trooping of the Colours!

Old 05-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

i got news from http://www.telegraph.co.uk check it out!

Blair seeks to secure his legacy with 'reform and respect' at centre of 45-Bill marathon
By George Jones, Political Editor
(Filed: 18/05/2005)

In pictures: State occasion

Tony Blair sought to secure his legacy with a Queen's Speech yesterday packed with 45 Bills aimed at restoring respect in society and "reclaiming the streets" for the law-abiding majority.

The first parliamentary session of his third term in power could be his last. It will run until nearly Christmas 2006, around the time when Labour MPs believe Mr Blair will be under increasing pressure to hand over to Gordon Brown.

Her Majesty, the QueenThe "reform and respect" Queen's Speech was delivered amid tight security coupled with traditional pomp and pageantry in the House of Lords.

Even before the Queen had started to outline the Government's legislative programme promising to foster a "culture of respect", the Left-wing Labour MP Dennis Skinner, used the occasion to make a jibe at the Monarch.

As Black Rod arrived in the Commons chamber to demand the presence of MPs in the Lords to hear the speech, Mr Skinner was heard to say: "Has she brought Camilla with her?" He was among several MPs who ostentatiously stayed behind in the Commons.

The programme of 45 Bills, with another five to be introduced in draft form, was intended to show that Labour has still got plenty of drive and commitment to reform public services, making them more responsive to parents and patients.

The Queen's Speech after Mr Blair's 2001 election victory contained just 25 Bills.

Tony Blair and Michael HowardMr Blair put moves to tackle crime and disorder at the heart of the legislative programme. He acknowledged that many people were in fear of a "lawless minority" and told MPs it was time to "reclaim the streets".

Downing Street said law and order measures, such as new curbs on gun crime, knives and drink-related violence, reinforced "the Prime Minister's commitment to generating a greater sense of mutual respect in society".

The mood on the government benches was subdued as MPs and ministers came to terms with the sharp reduction in Labour's majority from over 160 to 67.

Ministers acknowledged that they would have to adopt a more conciliatory approach if they are to get controversial legislation on to the statute book.

With Mr Blair aware that the longer he stays the weaker his authority becomes, he confirmed that the identity cards Bill would be one of the first to be introduced.

He urged the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats to rethink their opposition to ID cards, saying they were the way to combat identity fraud and tackle illegal immigration.

Michael Howard, the defeated Conservative leader, making probably his last big Commons speech, congratulated Mr Blair on his victory.

He claimed that the Prime Minister had adopted many of the Tories' key election themes including controlled immigration, school discipline, cleaner hospitals and more police.

Recalling the Tories election slogan, he added: "We had no idea he was thinking what we're thinking.

"The only one of the five that's missing is lower taxes. I wonder why?"

He said the Conservatives would back the Government when it did the "right thing".

"We will support more choice in schools and hospitals, and greater use of the independent sector where it provides quality and value for money.

"Likewise with genuine reform of incapacity benefit; and proper controls on immigration. On these measures, if the Prime Minister means what he says - if he takes a stand on the things that matter, and sends a clear message to his backbenchers - we will support him."

Mr Blair reminded Mr Howard which party won and which party lost the election.

"He has 197 MPs. We have 356. I stand here and he sits there. There are only three elections since the war that the Conservative Party has had fewer than 200 seats.

"This was one and the others were 1997 and 2001."

Mr Blair said the Tory party did not just lose the election, it lost the argument.

The battle was now on for the Tory leadership.

Mr Blair mocked members of the shadow cabinet sitting opposite him, claiming that the most profound issue concerning them seemed to be whether contenders for the leadership should wear a tie during interviews.

Mr Blair said there was only one serious programme for government to put forward in the election, and that was now in this Queen's Speech.

"At the heart of the Queen's Speech are policies that prepare our economy for the future, continue the investment in and reform of the NHS and our educational system, protect our citizens from terrorism and crime.

"They are quintessentially New Labour," said Mr Blair.

Sara Boyce
Old 05-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Nobility

i watched the ceremony on the internet, but i missed the beginning part. did the Queen knocked the door and then was let in? I heard it's kind of tradition as a symbol that the sovereign should not interfere in the state affair. i only watched from the moment the Queen was already on the seat sitting with Prince Philip

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 05-20-2005, 03:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Some more pics from Newscom:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showcasepix502592.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	146092   Click image for larger version

Name:	showcasepix502593.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	146093   Click image for larger version

Name:	showcasepix502594.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	146094   Click image for larger version

Name:	showcasepix502595.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	146095  

Old 05-20-2005, 04:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Some more photos:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rtrlive879849.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	146130   Click image for larger version

Name:	showcasepix501489.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	146131   Click image for larger version

Name:	showcasepix501505.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	146132   Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos192444.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	146133  

Name:	sipaphotos192445.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	146134  
Old 10-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

How long has it been since a male Monarch opened Parliment
Old 10-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Nobility

male monarch

I think that would have been the queens father. Sorry I don't know how long he has been deceased.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by seto
I think that would have been the queens father. Sorry I don't know how long he has been deceased.
King George VI died in 1952. I reckon that his last State Opening was in 1951, after Churchill's election win.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by florawindsor
i watched the ceremony on the internet, but i missed the beginning part... I only watched from the moment the Queen was already on the seat sitting with Prince Philip
Florawindsor, The Queen has a Throne, not a seat!
Old 10-05-2005, 05:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Thanks everybody for the wonderful pictures! This is truly one of the few grand ceremonials left in the royal world todday, it's such a wonderful thing to see! And now we can look forward to the Trooping of the Colours!

Here in Scotland it's regarded as over the top and out of date. The Dutch opening of Parliament is more to our likeing.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Nobility

The Kents and Gloucesters stopped attending years ago.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Commoner

I think that the Dutch style is lacks any sense of tradition or image of power that the British style has in abundance. Who wants to see a woman dressed in evening wear and a hat when you can have a queen dressed wearing a crown and all the trappings of Monarchy.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Nobility

I am Scottish as well but I agree that if there is going to be a Monarchy then lets enjoy the full trappings of it. Otherwise what's the point in having one?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaR
Sleeves are nice, however this is not my favourite dress.

In the second picture she looks a bit unhappy or bored. Honestly, the Queen's speech (I mean the text of the speech) is terribly boring!
lol shes probo thinking o god not this again! lol personaly i could watch it over and over, i love the way she says MY goverment, i wish she had more authority on the day to day basis of HER goverment, with all the experiance behind her and the knowledge id welcome a amazing woman like her into our goverment
Old 01-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Commoner

The Openning of Parliament

While reading an article in Majesty magazine about the openning of Parliament, I came across a sentance that stated there were two times when Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth was absent from the ceremonies, 1959 and 1963, when she was expecting Princes Andrew and Edward. In a situation such as this, when the Her Majesty was unable to attend, who takes over her duties, the Duke of Edinburgh? I think Prince Charles would have been to young. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Courtier

Fellow poster Elisa asked this question to Royal Insight here is there answer.

Quote:
Q: Elisa Rosi - Parma, Italy
I know The Queen didn't open Parliament in 1959 and 1963. Who did it on behalf of Her Majesty?

Parliament was not opened in these years due to the fact that The Queen was pregnant with Prince Andrew and Prince Edward respectively.

Parliament was opened by Commission, which means that the Lord Chancellor, leader of the House of Lords, read the speech which The Queen would have given.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1875.asp

Map for the British Royals
Old 10-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Heir Apparent

State Opening of Parliament: November 6, 2007

State Opening of Parliament
6 November 2007

The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will open Parliament on November 6, 2007.

The thread will be opened closer to the event.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Yeah the Queen and the Duke are going to open the Parliament next Tuesday 6th. But i do not know how will they manage it, as they are going to have another engagement in the day as well, so probably the Opening of Parliament would be around 11am , i think.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII View Post
Yeah the Queen and the Duke are going to open the Parliament next Tuesday 6th. But i do not know how will they manage it, as they are going to have another engagement in the day as well, so probably the Opening of Parliament would be around 11am , i think.
Correct. She almost always arrives at 11 and leaves at noon. I think they'll manage their other engagement well. It's probably even in London. In 2005 they had engagements in Saskatchewan the same day!

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii