The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Majesty

Perhaps it's no longer wise for the Gloucester's and Kent's to attend the State Opening but I think it's best for the Wales's and Cambridge's to attend. Since they are the main ones that will be attending this very important event yearly anyway.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Courtier

I noticed a difference this year..
Usually the QUeen first sits down, and then asks the Lords "pray be seated".
But this year, even before sitting down, she asked them to be seated at 1.12, so The Queen and all peers took seat the same time. Not a big thing, just an observation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
And one more thing, at the end of the video, after the Queen's entourage has left the House, the Commons Speaker,PM,Opposition Leader, all bowed in unision before turning back to leave at 13.35
Was that bow for the Queen? Even after she left? Or were they bowing to all the Lords together?
And I also noticed for first time that Queen and DoE bow to House of Lords before leaving..12.57..Maybe they do this thing every year..

Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

State of Opening of Parliament 2013 | Spletnik.ru
Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Majesty

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth Attends The State Opening of Parliament- 2013:
MYROYALS &HOLLYWOOD FASH

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

long life to Elizabeth II the great!!!!!!!! she realy look healty, thank god for that!
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Royal Highness

Thank goodness this is one event when we can guarantee there willl be some bling! ( Sorry if this is a rather superficial response to this important occasion.)
Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Courtier

Whats different his year..

I ve seen almost every video in Youtube on Parliament Opening today.
But not even one simgle one shows The Queen/PoW arriving at Westminster/walking inprocession nothing.
Everything starts with theQueen entering The House of Lords and ends once she leaves. Why is this? have they changed it?
Will we never see them walking in Sovereign's procession in the future years?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
And if you think about it, the Queen is reading what Parliament has written for her, rather than what she might choose to say, right? Much less what Charles might chose to say. Not really Charles' cup of tea, when you think about it.
This could make things interesting when Charles is on the throne.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Courtier

Whether its his cup of tea or cup of coffee or bowl of soup or not, Charles also has to "read" whatever was put in front of him. No other choice.
And BTW the Princess Royal didnt attend as Gold Stick. Maybe this year the position is rotated to another regiment instead of Blues&Royals..
Old 05-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe View Post
This could make things interesting when Charles is on the throne.

Why?

Charles knows full well that when he becomes King his outspokenness will have to stop. He also knows that the Queen's/King's speech will be written for him.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

HM is faltering? First I've heard of it! So she stumbled over a couple big words- so what?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
I suppose the DM will be on death watch now.
Swell.... (rolls eyes)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Majesty

She rarely falters when delivering speeches that she has read multiple times before so it is newsworthy when she does falter over words like 'government'.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I somehow think the DM and other rags have been on death watch for awhile now.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I somehow think the DM and other rags have been on death watch for awhile now.
You are right, They have been for awhile. The Globe has been saying that The Queen is dying and is on her Deathbed for the last Ten Years Now! I pretty much ignore them. If Queen Elizabeth was ill Buckingham Palace would be the first to say she was Ill!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
I ve seen almost every video in Youtube on Parliament Opening today.
But not even one simgle one shows The Queen/PoW arriving at Westminster/walking inprocession nothing.
Everything starts with theQueen entering The House of Lords and ends once she leaves. Why is this? have they changed it?
Will we never see them walking in Sovereign's procession in the future years?
Last night I watched it live on BBC World on my computer. I don't know if this is available to all but we got the departures from the Palace, the carriage ride, the arrival, the procession to the Robing Room, everything. I didn't think I would be able to watch it all but there it was. I loved every moment of it and appreciated watching history in action.

As an observation may I say that the BBC Commentary was terrific, as were their invited guests. They gave a full running history of what we were seeing. Further, I have to be honest and say that for the first time the Queen seemed "smaller" and a little fragile, weighed down with her regalia as well as sombre, which would be normal for such an occasion but for me it was the first time I actually thought "well she is 87 after all" and she really deserves a very much lighter load.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
You are right, They have been for awhile. The Globe has been saying that The Queen is dying and is on her Deathbed for the last Ten Years Now! I pretty much ignore them. If Queen Elizabeth was ill Buckingham Palace would be the first to say she was Ill!
I don't know if that's true or not. They downplayed the illnesses of Princess Margaret and of King George VI quite a bit. Possibly things have changed, but my guess is that the Queen's medical information is regarded as extremely private and is released only on a need to know basis.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

They tend to downplay illness in general, unless a hospital is involved.

I doubt we'll know that the Queen is dying (when she does die) until it's imminent, if even then.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Courtier

Maybe she just had difficulty seeing. (New glasses, headache, poor lighting.)

A few missed words doesn't mean much.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I don't know if that's true or not. They downplayed the illnesses of Princess Margaret and of King George VI quite a bit. Possibly things have changed, but my guess is that the Queen's medical information is regarded as extremely private and is released only on a need to know basis.
We all know there was absolutely nothing physically wrong with HM while reading her speech at Parliament. She was see later on in the day all smiles at the Windsor Horse Show. Watching it all early yesterday morning, I thought that for a couple at 87 and almost 92, they did a tremendous job and looked absolutely regal in their bearing.

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii