The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Majesty

I'm not sure that Camilla will sit in one of the Chairs of State and on the dais with The Queen and wear a hat. Most likely she will wear a tiara. People will just have to get used to the fact that Camilla is the wife of the first-in-line to the throne and she's the future Princess Consort/Queen. This event is very important and she will one day sit next to Charles on that dais when he's King.

I do think in case of The Queen's absence, Charles & Camilla would Open Parliament on her behalf.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Royal Highness

Contrary to what the Palace may say on the matter, this IS A grand strategy and I'm all for it. Much like having Camilla walk with the Queen during one of the Jubilee events. I think support of Charles has never been higher in the past 20 years, it's time to capitalize on it.

And the grand strategy of the press will be to drum up as much press as possible in whatever the manner they feel it's likely to do so. Diana made them a lot of money; photos of her side by side with Charles at previous state openings is a given in all the papers.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Contrary to what the Palace may say on the matter, this IS A grand strategy and I'm all for it. Much like having Camilla walk with the Queen during one of the Jubilee events. I think support of Charles has never been higher in the past 20 years, it's time to capitalize on it.
I agree, Gracie.

It's time to end with all this Princess Consort nonsense, because the Duchess of Cornwall has the right to be Queen.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think support of Charles has never been higher in the past 20 years, it's time to capitalize on it.
I think Charles has entered that stage of his life where there will be hardly any criticism..The Queen entered that stage only after '97 (much later than Charles, but then Charles entered the "getting bashed anyways" stage in his 30s itself, far earlier than his mother).. From now The Cambridges will start taking the brunt, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

It's time to end with all this Princess Consort nonsense, because the Duchess of Cornwall has the right to be Queen.
Exactly, and I HATE Charles for stating all this nonsense in the first place
Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Majesty

It's going to be beautiful to see The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall beside The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh in their regalia on this State occasion. I hope William & Catherine and Harry start attending at some point. Bringing forward the future of the Monarchy is a very smart idea.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
I think Charles has entered that stage of his life where there will be hardly any criticism..The Queen entered that stage only after '97 (much later than Charles, but then Charles entered the "getting bashed anyways" stage in his 30s itself, far earlier than his mother).. From now The Cambridges will start taking the brunt, I guess
That always happens. Royals are adored when they're young and when they're old.

Charles will be a very popular King, ascending at old age, just like King Edward VII.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It's going to be beautiful to see The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall beside The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh in their regalia on this State occasion. I hope William & Catherine and Harry start attending at some point. Bringing forward the future of the Monarchy is a very smart idea.
Yes, it's time to see a Royal procession in the State Opening of the Parliament again.

I wonder when we'll see the Duchess of Cambridge wearing a tiara.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Courtier

Wouldn't it be fantastic to see at least once in the Queen's reign the sovereign and the next two heirs all together at the State Opening.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Wouldn't it be fantastic to see at least once in the Queen's reign the sovereign and the next two heirs all together at the State Opening.
i think it would be grand - maybe next year. i think it does need to be Charles and Camilla first alone. I think it would be wonderful for William to have the experience of attending with two different monarchs prior to his own accession.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Majesty

That would be beautiful.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I think we're going to see such a thing happening in the years to come.

It's a natural step. We're in a transitional period for the British Monarchy.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
For the time being, I'd rather see Charles and Camilla get some credit, as well as the Queen. I want to see their image boosted.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Not that I really have a right to a voice in this as I'm in the US, I hope its quite a few years yet before we see William and Kate at the State Opening of Parliament.

This occasion isn't British Royalty on Parade nor is it a time for PR for the BRF to show who's who and who wears what. This is a very serious occasion and perhaps one of the most important duties the Monarch performs as Queen.

Charles has been in training for almost a lifetime for his role as future King and he does perform a lot of engagements and duties for his mother along with being included sometimes in the red boxes and is well informed on the state of affairs of the government.

William has yet to become a full time royal and if I'm not mistaken, has had very little actual hands on experience of how things work as a monarch. There will be plenty of time for William to learn from Charles what is expected of him stepping into the role of future King and as time passes, time for William and Kate to attend the State Opening of Parliament as Charles's heir and his consort.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Not that I really have a right to a voice in this as I'm in the US, I hope its quite a few years yet before we see William and Kate at the State Opening of Parliament.

This occasion isn't British Royalty on Parade nor is it a time for PR for the BRF to show who's who and who wears what. This is a very serious occasion and perhaps one of the most important duties the Monarch performs as Queen.

Charles has been in training for almost a lifetime for his role as future King and he does perform a lot of engagements and duties for his mother along with being included sometimes in the red boxes and is well informed on the state of affairs of the government.

William has yet to become a full time royal and if I'm not mistaken, has had very little actual hands on experience of how things work as a monarch. There will be plenty of time for William to learn from Charles what is expected of him stepping into the role of future King and as time passes, time for William and Kate to attend the State Opening of Parliament as Charles's heir and his consort.
Well, the Prince of Wales has been very keen on show the nuclear Royal Family (the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry).

So, I would not be surprised to see the Cambridges and Prince Harry attending the State Opening in the next years.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
Well, the Prince of Wales has been very keen on show the nuclear Royal Family (the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry).

So, I would not be surprised to see the Cambridges and Prince Harry attending the State Opening in the next years.
I will be very much surprised if they turn the State Opening of Parliament into a family affair. There are plenty of other occasions in the year to present the nuclear family if that is what they want to do. If anyone realizes the importance and seriousness of opening parliament, it would be Charles.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I will be very much surprised if they turn the State Opening of Parliament into a family affair. There are plenty of other occasions in the year to present the nuclear family if that is what they want to do. If anyone realizes the importance and seriousness of opening parliament, it would be Charles.
In the past, members of the Royal Family usually attended the State Opening.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Courtier

I don't think we'll see all the Royals attending regularly like they use to but I really do think it would be something to see the reigning couple, heirs and heirs heir attend. Maybe for a special occasion, just the once.
I don't think it will take anything away from Charles and Camilla as heirs, in fact IMO just the opposite, it will highlight their seniority in the succession.

Also I don't think it lessens the seriousness of the event, to me such a triple appearance would highlight the importance and seriousness of the event as one the heirs and future heirs need to learn the ropes of as early on as possible. Charles had their learning early on in the Queen's reign so the Queen may feel she needs to at least introduce William and Kate to such a serious and important event.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

It will not be the most difficult role for William to learn even if he never accompanies his father and grandmother to the opening, He presumably knows how to read so reading the speech will not prove a great challenge when the time comes. He has likely seen the ceremony on tv and if not I am sure there are video tapes he could watch to get the ceremonial down pat and his father could fill him in on any behind the scenes prep work. Of all the challenges he might face on becoming monarch this will be one of the lesser ones.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Did HMQ ever accompany her father to a State opening of Parliament?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Majesty

Allowing William and Kate to attend while they are still the golden couple will just see more calls for them to succeed The Queen rather than Charles. That is one thing that does seem to be fairly consistent - sometimes the call is for Charles but more often it is for William to jump his father (and yes I know that The Queen can't make that decision).

I don't think we should see the Cambridges doing this until they are the heir and wife - possibly not until a couple of years into Charles' reign.

As for how much experience William has had as a hands on with the real work of the monarch I have no doubt that he has had quite a bit since he turned 21 and became a Councillor-of-State and thus has had the right to sign legislation in the absence of The Queen.

As for this being one of the most important events in the royal calendar - how important is reading a speech someone else has written for you? It isn't as if she has any say in what she says - it is a nice ceremony but parliament can operate fully without it.

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii