William and Harry's Relationships with the Spencers

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elspeth said:
I'll bet his parents were just thrilled about that piece of publicity.
well I hope they were even less thrilled with their son's arrogant, asinine and self-entitled frat-boy antics

off topic: this nephew is the first cousin of Wills and Harry. How come we don't see them together anywhere, ever? Wonder if they're hanging out with each other--I get the impression Diana's sons are rather estranged from the Spencer sider of the fam. When I read stuff like this, if it is true, for one, I can begin to imagine why

I think William and Harry have always been closer to Peter and Zara and that makes sense, they understand about publicity and dealings with the press. I have a feeling that William and Harry don't see alot of their Spencer relations even though Earl Spencer may want us to think otherwise. I always found it interesting that Diana never asked either of her sisters to be a Godmother to her sons.

Alex would be 23 this year he was born in 1983

Wills/Harry and The Spencers

Why are there never any pics/stories of William and Harry with Dianas family?
The only time I have read about them spending time with Dianas family since her death, was when their grandmother died.
Do they have any connection with The Spencers at all?
What happened after Earl Spencer held his speech at Dianas funeral where he sweared to help protect and bring up William and Harry as their mother would have wished? As far as I know he has not exactly done that.
Perhaps I have gotten the wrong information but with the press coverage and the paparazzies following William and Harry I'm sure we would have read about it.
Thanks in advance.

Williams godparents are:-

King Constantine II of the Hellenes, Sir Laurens van der Post, Princess Alexandra, the Duchess of Westminster, Lord Romesay and Lady Susan Hussey.

Harry's godparents are:-

Duke of York, Lady Sarah Chatto, Lady Vestey, Mrs William Bartholomew; Mr. Bryan Organ; and Mr. Gerald Ward.

I don't think that they have any connection at all to the spencers( Shame really) but, what E.spencer did to his sister was awful. & then to Try to make a living off of her is even worse.

Like you said outside of their grandmothers funeral( No association with her either) I think that is about it. I think that they do go to visit their mothers grave but outside of that probably nothing.

Though, I agreed with his speech at the time of her death. But, with all the other things that have come out afterwards. To me It seemed like he was grandstanding. Hurt, of course over her death. But, Grandstanding for the public. I hear very little on Diana's Sisters. But, I would hope that the boys would keep in touch with them at least. After all they are family. Just keep away from their uncle.:p

Charles Spencer was, and probably is, such a hypocrit. He treated his first wife badly. I remember reading about him having an affair just when she gave birth to their first child. And joked about her eating disorder. And to top it off, brought his mistress to the funeral. With an uncle like that, it would make any nephews to keep him away from them.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I think, and her time there overlapped with Will's time at St. Andrew's. So maybe they sometimes hung out, being pretty much in the same city. even though St. Andrew's is an independent town, I think it is so near to Edinburgh that it must be like saying you live in Fulham instead of London, or Burbank instead of LA, or Brooklyn instead of Manhattan.

Not really. St Andrews is a fair bit away (80km) and takes aroun 1hr 30 mins to drive. It's on the Fife coast, on the other side of the Firth of Forth from Edinbugh.

princess olga said:
well I hope they were even less thrilled with their son's arrogant, asinine and self-entitled frat-boy antics

Well said Olga!!!

Christo's Girl said:
I think William and Harry have always been closer to Peter and Zara and that makes sense, they understand about publicity and dealings with the press. I have a feeling that William and Harry don't see alot of their Spencer relations even though Earl Spencer may want us to think otherwise. I always found it interesting that Diana never asked either of her sisters to be a Godmother to her sons.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything....neither Anne nor Edward are godparents to any of their sibiling's kids.

And I have also read that William and Harry are close to their Spencer cousins (at least Sarah and Jane's children), of course they don't see them as regularly as their Windsors cousins....but whose to say that they don't see them and its not reported. Didn't Laura go on that love boat cruise with the boys?

Laura is the one that seems to usually be around. Even going way back she was a flower girl at Andrew and Sarah's wedding.

Speaking of the Spencer cousins, I remember a few years ago one of them I think it was Emily McCorquodale had cancer has there been an update ?

Spencer Relationships

Hi Everyone! I was just wondering what type of relationship do they, Prince William and Prince Harry, have with their uncle and aunts? Are they close with any of their Spencer cousins?

From everything I have read, which you can't always trust, they don't have much of a relationship with the Spencers. I read that Jane and Sara atttended some of the boys events at school when they were at Eton but haven't heard much since. I hope now that they are older and can control more of their socal lives, they will get to know their other family a little better. I am not sure that Diana had much of a relationship with her siblings either.

Thank you. It's sad that they aren't close with their mother's family.

I have read conflicting things about this, so I can only guess at the truth. I believe that the princes maintain contacts with their maternal family as far as their busy lives enable them to do. This is to say that they probably do as much as any of us do in regards to keeping tabs on loved ones. They can't be expected to see everyone everyday, or every week, but they have phones and E-mails and text messages. The lack of photographs to prove the relationships hardly negates the possibility of their maintaining good relationships, or contacts with the Spencer clans.

After that God awful funeral speech, I doubt they'd have anything to do with the Spencers without bringing on the wrath of the grandparents.

After that God awful funeral speech, I doubt they'd have anything to do with the Spencers without bringing on the wrath of the grandparents.

Honestly, I can't imagine the Queen being angry or putting her foot down with her grandchildren. She never was like that with her children, and I think she would be even more passive with her beloved grandchildren. As for Prince Philip, maybe he is more vocal about his opinions (ok, probably is!) :D All the same, he doesn't seem like an unreasonable person, and if William and Harry want to have connections with people, as long as they aren't hardcore criminals, why should he protest? Yes, Earl Spencer is a jerk, but he hardly represents the whole Spencer family. Lady Jane Fellowes always strikes me as a classy woman. Even Spencer's kids have a mother too, whom they must see often as she lives in South Africa and (when they aren't at Stowe) they live there too. So they might derive good sense from her to balance out the damage inflicted by their father! ;)

I would define the Princes’ relationships with the Spencers as “wedding and funerals”. This implies that the relationships seldom go beyond official engagements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly, they are on very good terms with Lady Jane and keep in touch. The Earl Spencer and Lady Sarah are formal relationships with little closeness.

Supposedly, they are on very good terms with Lady Jane and keep in touch. The Earl Spencer and Lady Sarah are formal relationships with little closeness.

This is believable to me. Lady Fellowes has never sought attention. I imagine her royal nephews hold her in high regard for that.

I have always held the view that they have no contact with their maternal relatives but after seeing the coverage of the Concert for Diana and the Memorial Service, I now believe that they have been in touch through the years.

Like any extended family there are bound to be likes and dislikes. I remember Viscount Linley famously saying the worst thing in the world would be dinner with Princess Michael. After the late Queen Mothers nephew married the nurse, the family had nothing to do with either of them until both had passed on. Maybe with the volitility and anguish of Charles Spencer it was thought that endless feuding and acrimonious encounters would serve no good anywhere. But then again didn't Frances Shand Kydd specifically bar Charles from her funeral. Old hatreds die hard.

I would define the Princes’ relationships with the Spencers as “wedding and funerals”. This implies that the relationships seldom go beyond official engagements.

I think this is pretty much the sum of it. Maybe they do see them on occasion at parties but mostly I think just on big family gatherings like the concert and thanksgiving service, funerals, weddings, etc. I'm sure we will see all the Spencer cousins again at the Princes' weddings, at the christenings of their kids, and when the Spencer cousins marry, I imagine the Princes will be invited.

Winston Churchill forced the current Queen to reinstate the name of House of Windsor in 1955 following unguarded comments made by Dickie Mountbatten in London circles in the 50's that the "Battenburgs" 'now ruled in England.' It is accepted that descendents of H.M. The Queen and HRH the Prince Phillip are surnamed Mountbatten-Windsor. The rest of the family, ie descendents of HRH The Dukes of Kent and Gloucester and Prince Michael, being the only males in the grandson line from GEORGEV are simply surnamed WINDSOR, ie Lord Frederick Windsor. On the occasion of both of her weddings the Princess Royal used the name Mountbatten-Windsor to sign the wedding registry. I hope this clears this up.. because it is not a case of 'whatever name they are using now' As an Australian, you realise Elizabeth is very much Queen of Australia, and curiously by a constitutional quirk, Queen of Queensland as well, a title that cannot be alienated from her by any Act of the Australian parliament. Should we become a republic, she will still remain Queen of Queensland.(Coincidentally both states Victoria and Queensland were named by the old queen personally after herself much to the amusement of the then Prime Minister,Benjamin Disraeli)

The British aristocracy is not so much Spencer Churchills, ie Dukes of Marlborough, Earl Spencers etcetera, but members of Cavendish Bentinck family-The Dukes of Portland. Current or recently deceased collateral members in the Royal family who are Portands include HM the Late Queen Mother: Sarah, Duchess of York: Serena Viscountess Linley, and HRH Camilla, Princess of Wales. These ladies are all cousins of varying degrees.The only notable Spencer connection is Camilla's ex husband, Andrew Parker Bowles who is cousin of the Duke of Marlborough on his mothers side. Andrew no doubt would have married Princess Anne, but as he is a Catholic he was procluded.

Duke of Thora - Do you know is it this Cavendish family that the Kathleen Kennedy married into? (President Kennedy's sister.):flowers:

I also heard that Camilla and the Princess of Wales are also distant cousins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke of Thora - Do you know is it this Cavendish family that the Kathleen Kennedy married into? (President Kennedy's sister.):flowers:

Yes, Kathleen Kennedy either was engaged to marry or married (I don't remember how far they got) the heir of the Duke of Devonshire (who have the surname Cavendish). Didn't they die in a plane crash on their way to get married?

Rather than digress into a discussion of the broader British aristocracy could we please keep to the topic of 'Spencer Relationships'.

We have a thread for The British Nobility. Posts are welcome!

thanks. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom