The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Royal Highness

Royal Yacht Squadron Bicentenary, Isle of Wight: June 5, 2015

European royals set to join Prince Philip for Royal Yacht Squadron’s bicentenary

Quote:
The Duke of Edinburgh will be joined by King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, King Harald V of Norway, Former King of Spain Juan Carlos, Queen Margrethe’s consort Prince Henrik of Denmark, and Prince Albert of Monaco. Also present at the celebrations will be various members of the British Royal Family, including The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal, and Prince Michael of Kent.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Royal Highness

I love real meeting.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I love real meeting.
An that's a big one ! I'm impressed.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
An that's a big one ! I'm impressed.
I think this will quash complaints for a while that the British royals don't get together with the their European counterparts for a little while at least eh?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes I thought the relations were frosty between British Royals and the continent because of the British acting so uppity lol.

Will be a great event with an impressive turnout
Old 06-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

This is a very rare occasion for the British royals to gather with the continental royals. I wish we could see it more often. I don't think anyone has said their relationships are frosty. We already know that's not true. It's just it's very rare than the other royal families.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

The 'frosty' relations story gets trotted out every time the European royals have an event and the Brits don't attend or only send minor royals but ... the European royals all regularly visit the UK for private events and meet up with their British counterparts. The British royal family have been deliberately having less to do with Europe at all since the end of WWI - it was George V's policy as a way to ensure the longevity of his dynasty. The subsequent monarchs have maintained that stance - Britain and the Empire (now Commonwealth) over Europe as the focus of BRF interests and activities.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Majesty

As a member of the Commonwealth, I like the policy of putting the emphasis on countries with a historically close tie with Britain. It's not as though members of the BRF never visit Europe at all. There are state visits as well as lower-profile visits.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Royal Highness

Something wrong? Prince Philip grimaces as he joins Anne, Albert of Monaco and Pavlos of Greece for fleet review in Cowes | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In the first picture, to me, it looks like Philip is giving something the raspberry rather than grimacing.

Of course, seeing as its the Daily Mail, I half expected the remark "Philip grimaces as he finally catches up with the news and hears that the BBC has declared the Queen to be deceased".

Sorry folks.. hadda do it. The DM does have awesome pictures though.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

It seems Edward and Sophie are doing a fine job of hiding from the cameras as they are also reportedly there as well.

I LOVE what Henrik is wearing and Marie Chantal looks amazing.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Royal Highness

No pictures or mention of Edward and Sophie attending. Also no mention or pictures of Juan Carlos, Prince Henrik or King Constantine & Anne-Marie of Greece.

King Constantine's son and daughter-in-law are there.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
No pictures or mention of Edward and Sophie attending. Also no mention or pictures of Juan Carlos, Prince Henrik or King Constantine & Anne-Marie of Greece.

Henrik is definitely there as the photographer Mark Cuthbert caught him - Getty Images

Edward and Sophie are also there as Mark said there were out on a boat but returning at some point. Obviously Juan Carlos, Constantine, Anne-Marie and the Wessex's are good at hiding.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post

No pictures or mention of King Harald either.

There is more information in this BBC article.

European Royalty to mark Royal Yacht Squadron bicentenary - BBC News

Quote:
The European royal party includes King Harald of Norway, the former king of Spain, Juan Carlos, King Constantine II of Greece, Prince Albert of Monaco and Prince Henrik of Denmark.

The British party includes Princess Anne and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, the Earl and Countess of Wessex and Prince Michael of Kent.

The boats have been moored in the Solent at the mouth of the Medina River since noon. The review will be a private event.

The day also includes a private service at Trinity Church and a beating retreat on Cowes Parade, conducted by the Royal Marine Marching Band and with the salute being taken by Prince Philip.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Harald's yacht was seen so he must be there.

Anne-Marie and Constantine seem to have been with Edward and Sophie i-Images as Anne-Marie is behind Edward.

Side note - in the sailors hat Edward looks MUCH younger than 51. Seriously, what water are they drinking at Bagshot Park?!
Old 06-05-2015, 02:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Harald's yacht was seen so he must be there.
There are no pictures of him yet, but he's there.

The Royal House of Norway - Official engagements

Quote:
04.06.2015 - The Royal Yacht Squadron
His Majesty The King attends the bicentanary of the Royal Yacht Squadron, Cowes, Isle of Wight (4 - 6 June).
Old 06-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Cowes welcomes the Royals for squadron celebrations

Isle of Wight: Cowes welcomes the Royals for squadron celebrations

Getty Images

http://www.gettyimages.ie/search/2/i...ty=true&page=1