Royal Yacht Squadron Bicentenary, Isle of Wight: June 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROYAL NORWAY

Heir Apparent
City
somewhere
Country
Norway
European royals set to join Prince Philip for Royal Yacht Squadron’s bicentenary

The Duke of Edinburgh will be joined by King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, King Harald V of Norway, Former King of Spain Juan Carlos, Queen Margrethe’s consort Prince Henrik of Denmark, and Prince Albert of Monaco. Also present at the celebrations will be various members of the British Royal Family, including The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal, and Prince Michael of Kent.

An that's a big one ! I'm impressed.

I think this will quash complaints for a while that the British royals don't get together with the their European counterparts for a little while at least eh? :D

Yes I thought the relations were frosty between British Royals and the continent because of the British acting so uppity lol.

Will be a great event with an impressive turnout

This is a very rare occasion for the British royals to gather with the continental royals. I wish we could see it more often. I don't think anyone has said their relationships are frosty. We already know that's not true. It's just it's very rare than the other royal families.

The 'frosty' relations story gets trotted out every time the European royals have an event and the Brits don't attend or only send minor royals but ... the European royals all regularly visit the UK for private events and meet up with their British counterparts. The British royal family have been deliberately having less to do with Europe at all since the end of WWI - it was George V's policy as a way to ensure the longevity of his dynasty. The subsequent monarchs have maintained that stance - Britain and the Empire (now Commonwealth) over Europe as the focus of BRF interests and activities.

Last edited:
:previous: As a member of the Commonwealth, I like the policy of putting the emphasis on countries with a historically close tie with Britain. It's not as though members of the BRF never visit Europe at all. There are state visits as well as lower-profile visits.

In the first picture, to me, it looks like Philip is giving something the raspberry rather than grimacing.

Of course, seeing as its the Daily Mail, I half expected the remark "Philip grimaces as he finally catches up with the news and hears that the BBC has declared the Queen to be deceased". :ROFLMAO:

Sorry folks.. hadda do it. The DM does have awesome pictures though.

It seems Edward and Sophie are doing a fine job of hiding from the cameras as they are also reportedly there as well.

I LOVE what Henrik is wearing and Marie Chantal looks amazing.

No pictures or mention of Edward and Sophie attending. Also no mention or pictures of Juan Carlos, Prince Henrik or King Constantine & Anne-Marie of Greece.

King Constantine's son and daughter-in-law are there.

No pictures or mention of Edward and Sophie attending. Also no mention or pictures of Juan Carlos, Prince Henrik or King Constantine & Anne-Marie of Greece.

Henrik is definitely there as the photographer Mark Cuthbert caught him - Getty Images

Edward and Sophie are also there as Mark said there were out on a boat but returning at some point. Obviously Juan Carlos, Constantine, Anne-Marie and the Wessex's are good at hiding.

No pictures or mention of King Harald either.

There is more information in this BBC article.

European Royalty to mark Royal Yacht Squadron bicentenary - BBC News

The European royal party includes King Harald of Norway, the former king of Spain, Juan Carlos, King Constantine II of Greece, Prince Albert of Monaco and Prince Henrik of Denmark.

The British party includes Princess Anne and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, the Earl and Countess of Wessex and Prince Michael of Kent.

The boats have been moored in the Solent at the mouth of the Medina River since noon. The review will be a private event.

The day also includes a private service at Trinity Church and a beating retreat on Cowes Parade, conducted by the Royal Marine Marching Band and with the salute being taken by Prince Philip.

Harald's yacht was seen so he must be there.

Anne-Marie and Constantine seem to have been with Edward and Sophie i-Images as Anne-Marie is behind Edward.

Side note - in the sailors hat Edward looks MUCH younger than 51. Seriously, what water are they drinking at Bagshot Park?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom