The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-01-2019, 01:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post

Surely something needs to be done to provide affordable housing for needy tenants. And the royal firm should take a leading role in advocating for cost-effective relief for renters and taxpayers.

However, I do not like the way the Sussexes' renovation of Frogmore Cottage is being cited as some kind of problem for taxpayers. Did these complaints and investigative reporting about royal finances occur when Apt 1A was renovated for the Cambridges at a higher cost than the renovation of Frogmore Cottage? I'm sure there was complaining in some quarters, but not to the extent we are seeing surrounding the Sussexes and Frogmore Cottage renovations.

The fact is: Harry and Meghan have spent their own money to furnish their living quarters. They do not own Frogmore Cottage. They benefit from the renovations, but the property itself belongs to the crown estate and the renovations will ultimately benefit not only the Sussexes, but the crown estate and future generations of royals.

The cost to taxpayers is minimal per taxpayer. The economic benefits of the royal family to Great Britain are substantial. The marriage of Meghan and Harry has brought millions in tourism dollars to Great Britain, and huge interest in British life and culture, and indeed in the Commonwealth and in charitable organizations supported by the Sussexes, which are benefiting from donations extended by Sussex fans across the world. The South Pacific locales where H&M toured have also benefited via worldwide exposure and increased tourism dollars.

Sentebale, The Invictus Games, and the Hubb Community Women's cookbook Together brought in the most money to the Royal Foundation last year (according to the recently released audit). In fact, the cookbook brought in 57% of all funds, yet somehow the Sussexes are being maligned for the Royal Foundation split and for the renovations needed to Frogmore Cottage?!

Furthermore, none of the royals are responsible for the management of the Crown Estate, especially not the Sussexes.
I agree that the journalist seemed to be jumping on the bandwagon by mentioning Frogmore Cottage. But other than that it is more balanced than most. The journalist makes clear that the Queen has no say in the running of the Crown Estate and he gives credit to Charles and William for raising the issue of affordable housing.

There were plenty of articles complaining about the cost of renovating both the Cambridge homes. I also doubt this article has been inspired by the recent furor about the costs of Frogmore. Investigative articles like this are usually worked on for weeks if not months before they see the light of day. The timing of its publication may be linked to the release of the Royal accounts but I doubt the investigation itself was.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:40 AM
Courtier

The Guardian is a republic leaning newspaper and some of our media owners are too (eg Murdoch) so we might expect them to scrutinise the monarchy & its income source. It seems like a fair article overall & I suppose it's obvious they'd mention the latest housing expenditure.

The Crown Estate provides the treasury & the monarchy with an income but the big problem with all of this is that many people don't see the benefit in their own lives. The last few years have seen public services cut to the bone & people on low wages and/or in insecure employment are on very tight budgets. It's easy to say that the monarchy brings revenue back into the UK but a lot of people will say that it doesn't filter down to them personally. They see the BRF living in multiple luxury homes while they struggle to pay rent & know they'll never own any home themselves. It's a huge, complex topic & I'll stop there before venturing into politics.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Nobility

I read that the Duke of Edinburgh still receives his £375,000(?) a year despite being retired. Is this true?
Old 07-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I read that the Duke of Edinburgh still receives his £375,000(?) a year despite being retired. Is this true?

Where did you read it?
Old 07-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I read that also somewhere recently but can't remember where, but I take it with a pinch of salt as since the Sovereign Grant was started I have not read anywhere about parliamentary annuities, which were listed in previous financial reports.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Majesty

According to the government’s official website:

“A Parliamentary annuity for HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh will continue.”

“This allowance is to meet official expenses incurred in carrying out his public duties in support of The Queen.”
Old 07-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I read that also somewhere recently but can't remember where, but I take it with a pinch of salt as since the Sovereign Grant was started I have not read anywhere about parliamentary annuities, which were listed in previous financial reports.
Is the parliamentary annuity in addition to the Sovereign Grant then ?
Old 07-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Majesty

The Duke of Edinburgh’s annuity is in addition to the Sovereign Grant.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
It was reported in the articles about the recent annual financial review. Haven't read the review so I can't say it was in that but reporting on it mentioned the DofE continuing to receive an annuity.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This is just my personal opinion but I honestly don't think there's enough money on this planet to compensate Philip for the unwavering support and the many, many things he's done and accomplished over the 67 years he's been the "strength and stay" of the monarch and service to Crown and Country.

In fact, I'd even suggest that the word used for his service is actually "priceless".
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 07-12-2019, 01:54 AM
Majesty

Two royal weddings at Windsor, Louis’s birth, and Charles’s 70th birthday led to a boom in visitor numbers to royal residences and sales of memorabilia in 2018-19, the Royal Collection Trust’s annual report shows today.

The Queen's official residences attracted a record 3.3 million visitors over the past financial year, compared with 2.96 million the year before.

Via Kensington Richard Palmer Twitter

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances