The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
...I think the choice for a monarchy is a case of the heart rather than a case of money. Because the economic arguments are rather poor.
I'm not sure the economic arguments are uniformly 'poor.' However, I agree with you that the British monarchy involves the heart, nostalgia, sentimentality, and a reverence for tradition and continuity, held by some members of the public more than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Will London really get less tourists when Buckingham Palace has been turned into a museum by lack of a monarch? Does Berlin suffer a shortage in tourists since they have exiled their Emperor?
Ah, in the case of the British monarchy, we may yet soon find out. As I've said, either way, the Windsors will not be adversely affected. They will simply be able to forego all of the government demands on their lives, and have more time to pursue private passions and to work on causes and/or careers that are important to them.

The government most likely will still have to find a way to cover a portion of certain royals' security costs, and arrangements will be negotiated regarding disposition and management of palaces and property belonging to the Crown Estate. Probably most of the royals will breathe a huge sigh of relief and do their best to fade from public view. They are independently wealthy.

Those royals who are engaged in substantial work on behalf of humanitarian and community projects and patronages, will also surely continue with many of their endeavors. But hopefully, certain aspects of overdone public pressure and public scrutiny will begin to cease.

Unfortunately, I'm sure the tabloids and reporters will not cease pursuing the royals and creating stories about their lives.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I'm not sure the economic arguments are uniformly 'poor.' However, I agree with you that the British monarchy involves the heart, nostalgia, sentimentality, and a reverence for tradition and continuity, held by some members of the public more than others.

Ah, in the case of the British monarchy, we may yet soon find out. As I've said, either way, the Windsors will not be adversely affected. They will simply be able to forego all of the government demands on their lives, and have more time to pursue private passions and to work on causes and/or careers that are important to them.

The government most likely will still have to find a way to cover a portion of certain royals' security costs, and arrangements will be negotiated regarding disposition and management of palaces and property belonging to the Crown Estate. Probably most of the royals will breathe a huge sigh of relief and do their best to fade from public view. They are independently wealthy.

Those royals who are engaged in substantial work on behalf of humanitarian and community projects and patronages, will also surely continue with many of their endeavors. But hopefully, certain aspects of overdone public pressure and public scrutiny will begin to cease.

Unfortunately, I'm sure the tabloids and reporters will not cease pursuing the royals and creating stories about their lives.
Why would the royals be happy to fade in the background when their role is to be public figures?

Old 05-12-2019, 09:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The government most likely will still have to find a way to cover a portion of certain royals' security costs,
If the monarchy was eliminated in Britain, odds are slim that the government would continue to fund any security for them. They would be private citizens.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its a mighty string of dominoes that would fall like the stones of Stonehenge if and when the British monarchy ceases to be. The government not paying for security for the royals would be the least of their problems, IMO.

Charles and Camilla could move to Italy where Charles could paint to his heart's content. Likewise so could the other members of the royal family. The government would have to negotiate with the the monarch just how to work it out with the Crown Estate. The Crown Estate is defined as "The Crown Estate is a collection of lands and holdings in the United Kingdom belonging to the British monarch as a corporation sole, making it the "Sovereign's public estate", which is neither government property nor part of the monarch's private estate.

Then there is the Royal Collection that would have to be dealt with. The Queen owns some of the collection in right of the Crown and some as a private individual. So much of what is contained within that Collection is deemed priceless and reflects so much British history.

Between the Crown Estate and the Royal Collection, its possible that the government could go broke just being able to retain a huge chunk of what is known and loved as British history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Why would the royals be happy to fade in the background when their role is to be public figures?
Perhaps because those public roles have been expected of them from birth perhaps and not their own personal choices as a career and lifestyle? I've dug up an article you may find interesting dating back a few years when Harry talks to Newsweek about this particular subject pretty openly. It helps to see their roles and duties from their own perspective.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nts-king-queen
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its a mighty string of dominoes that would fall like the stones of Stonehenge if and when the British monarchy ceases to be. The government not paying for security for the royals would be the least of their problems, IMO.

Charles and Camilla could move to Italy where Charles could paint to his heart's content. Likewise so could the other members of the royal family. The government would have to negotiate with the the monarch just how to work it out with the Crown Estate. The Crown Estate is defined as "The Crown Estate is a collection of lands and holdings in the United Kingdom belonging to the British monarch as a corporation sole, making it the "Sovereign's public estate", which is neither government property nor part of the monarch's private estate.

Then there is the Royal Collection that would have to be dealt with. The Queen owns some of the collection in right of the Crown and some as a private individual. So much of what is contained within that Collection is deemed priceless and reflects so much British history.

Between the Crown Estate and the Royal Collection, its possible that the government could go broke just being able to retain a huge chunk of what is known and loved as British history.

Perhaps because those public roles have been expected of them from birth perhaps and not their own personal choices as a career and lifestyle? I've dug up an article you may find interesting dating back a few years when Harry talks to Newsweek about this particular subject pretty openly. It helps to see their roles and duties from their own perspective.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nts-king-queen
Sorry but who cares if it has been expected of them from birth. I think their roles are unique and they can do a lot of impact in a good way.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Sorry but who cares if it has been expected of them from birth. I think their roles are unique and they can do a lot of impact in a good way.
I care- because in some ways it is crummy that much of their lives is preordained.
William did good as an air ambulance pilot and liked his job, but had to give it up. If he were in Eugenie’s position rather than the future King, he could still be doing that job.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I would think it does matter if they care. Take the example of King Edward VIII. He turned it all down and abdicated because he loved a woman that was deemed "unsuitable" among other various reasons. In fact, that's another area where the wealth and finances come in. As monarch, King Edward VIII inherited Sandringham and Balmoral as his own personal private estates (they still are the monarch's personal private estates today). After the abdication, King George VI had to negotiate and finance buying those properties back. .

https://www.quora.com/Why-was-George...almoral-Castle.

Ever seen the movie "Dead Poet's Society"? Or know of parents that were very adamant of just how their kid's life was going to be from the moment of birth and the kid had to fall in line? Being a member of a hereditary monarchy with all its duties and roles and ins and outs is pretty much like that along with living a life in a fishbowl. Its not the fairy tale life of "happy ever after" just because of a title or castles and crown jewels. Anyways, I digress here as this is the royal wealth and finance thread.

The British royal family even should they be put out to pasture and the monarchy abolished, could very well continue with the work they're already passionate about. There just wouldn't be any court circular announcements or investitures or state banquets or Trooping the Color or any events that are associated with the monarchy. A whole lot of British traditions and continuity of the British heritage would cease to be as we know it now.

The bottom line is that it is just that not having a monarchy would drastically change a whole lot of things economically, hurt the things that seems to hold the people of the UK and the Commonwealth together in a common bond with their heritage and history and a huge sense of continuity through the centuries.

The taxpayer money would all go to politicians too. Now that's a scary thought!
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-13-2019, 02:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well most of the family are fairly private, but privileged. The main working royals are the ones in the public eye.

What I was responding to was the suggestion that it would somehow hurt the royals if the monarchy were to end. It's not really clear how something like that would look if it happened. My main point is that I think the royals would simply just get on with their lives, and some pressure maybe would be lifted from them as well. It's not exactly that great to not have a choice of what to do with your life, which is what heirs to the throne are confronted with. William has struggled with it a bit. He would have much preferred to continue his air ambulance career as a helicopter pilot.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well most of the family are fairly private, but privileged. The main working royals are the ones in the public eye.

What I was responding to was the suggestion that it would somehow hurt the royals if the monarchy were to end. It's not really clear how something like that would look if it happened. My main point is that I think the royals would simply just get on with their lives, and some pressure maybe would be lifted from them as well. It's not exactly that great to not have a choice of what to do with your life, which is what heirs to the throne are confronted with. William has struggled with it a bit. He would have much preferred to continue his air ambulance career as a helicopter pilot.
I'm sure that some of them would be alright and have long, fruitful lives if the monarchy, God forbid, was to come to an end, but what you fail to see is that they've spent their whole lives believing in what monarchy is about, what it means and signifies to a country and it's people. This is their life and I'm sure many of them would be lost without it since a monarchy couldn't go on if those involved didn't truly believe in the benefits of it. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden said in an interview that monarchy is something she truly believes in and we have pretenders all over Europe doing their best to keep their legacies alive. Not for their own sake, but because they see the benefits of it. Prince Philip said in a speech he made that there's no point in upholding the monarchy for its own sake, but only if it benefited the people it represents and I'd say that as long as the royals themselves believe this to be the case the fall of the monarchy would be a stab at the heart of many of them.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I care- because in some ways it is crummy that much of their lives is preordained.
William did good as an air ambulance pilot and liked his job, but had to give it up. If he were in Eugenie’s position rather than the future King, he could still be doing that job.
Yes it's true. And William was happy to do that job. But I think William is going to be a good king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I'm sure that some of them would be alright and have long, fruitful lives if the monarchy, God forbid, was to come to an end, but what you fail to see is that they've spent their whole lives believing in what monarchy is about, what it means and signifies to a country and it's people. This is their life and I'm sure many of them would be lost without it since a monarchy couldn't go on if those involved didn't truly believe in the benefits of it. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden said in an interview that monarchy is something she truly believes in and we have pretenders all over Europe doing their best to keep their legacies alive. Not for their own sake, but because they see the benefits of it. Prince Philip said in a speech he made that there's no point in upholding the monarchy for its own sake, but only if it benefited the people it represents and I'd say that as long as the royals themselves believe this to be the case the fall of the monarchy would be a stab at the heart of many of them.
It is true. Because they dedicate their lives to serving the monarchy and its people. And many kings and princes look upon it as a mission.
The British monarchy in particular has always reinvented itself and has found good solutions to overcome the obstacles that have come its way.
I am a royalist and I can not imagine England without the Royal Family and the Monarchy.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:09 PM
Aristocracy

[...] I actually agree. Turning up for day-to-day events in super expensive (foreign) designer clothing doesn't sit too well and it's not something I think other royal women usually do.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-spending.html

Quote:
Veteran royal expert Jennie Bond has warned the Duchess of Sussex needs to rein in 'massively extravagant' spending as 'it doesn’t play very well' with the British public.

"The key thing about royals is to be understaed. We all know that they're royal, we all know that they're very wealthy. But the absolutely number one rule is don't rub the British people's noses in your wealth."
Old 06-16-2019, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
[...] I actually agree. Turning up for day-to-day events in super expensive (foreign) designer clothing doesn't sit too well and it's not something I think other royal women usually do.

Most BRF women, with the exception of Princess Anne, turn up to day to day engagements with expensive clothing. There are times where there are exceptions, as there has been with Meghan. But it’s not unusual.

And of course, the likes of DM is always available to inflate and double, triple, and so on, count things to make the numbers more sensational.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post

I think Jennie Bond makes some very valid points.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Most BRF women, with the exception of Princess Anne, turn up to day to day engagements with expensive clothing. There are times where there are exceptions, as there has been with Meghan. But it’s not unusual.

And of course, the likes of DM is always available to inflate and double, triple, and so on, count things to make the numbers more sensational.
Princess Anne recycles her clothing, it is not unknown for her to turn out in an outfit first worn a number of years ago. No idea what she paid for them in the first place but she does get her money's worth out of them.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Really? Go take a look at Sophie Wessex fashion blog. Almost every look she wears you will find high end foreign brands mixed in if not all. Gucci, channel, Tiffany, Prada.

And Kate has been adding more and more high end foreign brands as well.

Beyond Givenchy, Meghan’s foreign brands don’t tend to be the pricy high end ones. Sometimes but not the rule. She wears a lot of Canadian brands that are equivalent of high street and as Canadian is.
commonwealth it’s not foreign. Givenchy is supporting British talent.

Even Camilla has the odd foreign brand added in.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Even Camilla has the odd foreign brand added in.
I think "odd foreign brand added in" is the key to this argument that has been ongoing for a year now.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Fascinating how the rules are different for Meghan. I can’t imagine why...
Old 06-17-2019, 12:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think "odd foreign brand added in" is the key to this argument that has been ongoing for a year now.
And I think her point is that it’s lower for Camilla versus the younger royals.

Btw, another thing people like to overlook is that since the beginning of this year, a number of her “foreign” items came from William Vintage rather than the houses themselves. As those are item produced decades ago, the only one benefitting from it is William Vintage, which is a British business, owned by Brit, and all that. It seems odd that context seem to fly over people’s heads when criticizing her for foreign brands.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Princess Anne recycles her clothing, it is not unknown for her to turn out in an outfit first worn a number of years ago. No idea what she paid for them in the first place but she does get her money's worth out of them.
If I haven't seen any recycled clothes within the next five years, then I will moan. At present, she is just starting out but I don't think anyone is going to catch up with Anne.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Fascinating how the rules are different for Meghan. I can’t imagine why...
Very fascinating indeed, ACO!

A.W. TOZER

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances