The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-14-2018, 05:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
or American or Italian or.......
There is no need to take a cheap shot and not based on facts.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I’ve not seen most of these brands worn to Trooping or Ascot. Let’s just make a deal and strike Erdem from EVERYTHING going forward. There is a brand I hope none of them ever wears again going forward. Meghan has worn Stella before and likely will again (although I’m a little peeved at the selling replicas of her second wedding dress situation). Like I said, the brands she worn so far are on par with the other ladies that are in attendance at the same event. I just wouldn’t put Suzannah, Temperley, Catherine Walker, Roksanda with McQueen or Givenchy. I’m not familiar with Mulberry clothing, I’ve always considered them to be more of an accessory brand, but I know Meghan personally has owned one of their signature bags, so perhaps we’ll see something from them in the future. Although she seems quite content with Strathberry at the moment.
I am neither in the business of dishing out fashion advice, nor do I believe many on these boards are genuinely qualified to do so. My point is a simple one. If you are a rep of the BRF, you wear British, end of. If you don't believe our fashion is good enough for you, tough. Take the good with the bad. No other lady of the BRF has appeared inappropriately dressed for the big, show piece events, and they are all dressed in British brands. Deviate from this principle, and be prepared to deal with the likes of Amanda Platell telling you off.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Why are they relegated to the less formal events?
I’ve talked about the slim picking of major brands at big events already. She has worn McQueen to an award reception for Endeavor Games before as well. But in power suit format. I think She’ll still stay away from McQueen at events like Trooping since it seems to be the brand Kate goes with whenever there is anything major these days. Which is fine as Kate’s collaboration with McQueen has been going on for years.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Firstly in terms of the cost of Meghans wardrobe v Kate's - the article about Kate's only mentions one or two pieces of jewellery whilst the cost of most of Meghan's seems included which is unfair. Especially including the earrings we know were a gift from the Queen.

Secondly, perception is everything. I know Meghans actually wears more British and Commonwealth designers than people think but she does seem not to use them for some of the bigger, more reported occasions. I suspect we will see a subtle shift on that now and more British and Commonwealth designers will be used.

Also, in fairness to Meghan she has had a lot of big occasions to attend since her wedding - a christening, RAF 100, trip to Ireland whereas Kate was still living on Anglesey after their wedding and did more low-key events where jeggings and a blazer were acceptable which of course works out cheaper than formal day dress and hats. That's not a criticism of Kate in anyway either, simply pointing out the two had different programmes of events that require a different type of wardrobe.

Lastly, not really sure what this has to do with royal wealth and finances - yes its a lot of money but surely more fashion related that anything else?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
well journalists WILL criitcise her, lots and lots once the honeymoon is over. of course a lot of it will be unfair, but one of the things that people do get hot over is buying British.. so if she doesn't do that, she will get more and more criticism....
Uh, don't know if you noticed, but there was never actually a honeymoon period. They went for the kill as soon as this relationship came to light. And perhaps people should get a better grip on what is considered British. For example, when one buys McQueen, they aren't buying British, they are buying French.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
As far as I'm aware, she hasn't worn any Italian brands. The only Italian designer she's worked once with is Dior. Far fewer than British, btw.
Last time I looked, Prada was Italian and Dior was French.

Quote:
Never mind the fact that she's been supporting a British woman while never buying anything from Givenchy that others could buy and thus sell out. I've never seen Clare Waight Keller's name being so widely reported before even though she's been a well-respected designer in the industry for years. She's never had the profile some of her contemporaries have had even though she deserves it, until now. And this is a woman who was about as British as it gets. Born and raised, and educated in design in Britain.
Are you now suggesting that Givenchy is a British label?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Last time I looked, Prada was Italian and Dior was French.
Ah that one Prada suit, of course. Still working once with an Italian brand is far less than UK brands she's donned or Italian designers compared to British designers.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Uh, don't know if you noticed, but there was never actually a honeymoon period. They went for the kill as soon as this relationship came to light. And perhaps people should get a better grip on what is considered British. For example, when one buys McQueen, they aren't buying British, they are buying French.
She's had the honeymoon period. And if she was disliked by many columnists prior to her marriage, I think she will be even more disliked if she is continually seen in foreign designs and only wear Brtisih to "lesser events"......
Old 07-14-2018, 06:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Are you now suggesting that Givenchy is a British label?
No one suggested Givenchy is a British label. Don't keep twisting my words. I specifically pointed out how what's bought from them isn't anything that can sell out. Instead, it gave a much higher profile to someone who is British that people, unless they were very closely following ins and outs of the fashion industry before, wouldn't know

Quote:
She's had the honeymoon period. And if she was disliked by many columnists prior to her marriage, I think she will be even more disliked if she is continually seen in foreign designs and only wear Brtisih to "lesser events"......
When? Again, like I said, nothing about them has changed. So why even consider them.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Ah that one Prada suit, of course. Still working once with an Italian brand is far less than UK brands she's donned or Italian designers compared to British designers.
One Prada, one RL, one Dior, one OScar, one Brandon Maxwell, many, many Givenchy.......... and one Emilia Wickstead and one Goat!
Old 07-14-2018, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

A reminder please that this thread is NOT to discuss our personal opinions of the fashion choices of members of the Royal Family, but to discuss costs, wealth and finances. Opinions on Meghan's specific style can be made in her fashion thread. Thank you.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I Members of the royal house can now choose UK brands not just because they are somehow obliged to promote British businesses, but rather because there are British brands which are actually competitive with more traditional international fashion powerhouses. Am I wrong ?
It doesn't matter. Maybe British fashion design is not great compared with the big names in Europe, but wearing British designs, in public, is what Royal Ladies are supposed to do. If she is spending a lot of money on these clothes, which she probably is (or rather Charles is) then it is even more foolish for her to be doing this. If she wants to wear foreign designers, she can keep them for her private life...
Old 07-14-2018, 06:11 PM
Nobility

[...]

However, what I don't really see taken into account much at all is Meghan's extensive pre-royal working life.

While quite a foreign concept, fact its that Meghan has a considerable amount of liquid, personal wealth that she attained from working hard for the better part of the past decade. With a stable income that was estimated to average out to 50k+ a month over the course of 6-7 years, she has a personal wealth that would allow her to sleep in a bed made out of high end clothes.

I can't think of a single item in her known (a.k.a. RIDICULOUSLY SMALL) post-wedding wardrobe that is just a one-timer and not easily reusable as part of her royal working wardrobe even 10-20 years from now on. All of her pieces are timeless, high quality, classics with most having a nice breathing room for any weight she might put on in the years and decades to come.

Sophie is someone who is quite fond of doing this. That's why no one bats an eye that she goes to regular working events in OSCAR DE LA RENTA or GUCCI or EMILIA WICKSTEAD or VALENTINO or EMILIO PUCCI or PRADA or ERDEM, because she tends to rewear those extremely expensive dresses a good couple times, even years later.

______

I also find the idea of talking about statistics and patterns quite ridiculous with such a joke of a sampling size, and unreliable estimates and sources.

People are busy comparing tomatoes and apples and then are outraged if the two don't taste the same despite both technically being fruits, round and red.

______

With that said, if we don't see a better balance of new items by the end of this year, it WOULD certainly be a very questionable choice. Even if Meghan is very likely spending her own, hard-earned money.

I expect her to start rewearing dresses in about 2-3 months. She has already been rewearing her shoes, clutches, belts and jewellery (which are often counted each time as new by the Daily Fail btw, lol ). So, I definitely see her doing the same with clothes fairly quickly.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
This thread has long become a circle jerk, it seems.

However, what I don't really see taken into account much at all is Meghan's extensive pre-royal working life.

While quite a foreign concept, fact its that Meghan has a considerable amount of liquid, personal wealth that she attained from working hard for the better part of the past decade. With a stable income that was estimated to average out to 50k+ a month over the course of 6-7 years, she has a personal wealth that would allow her to sleep in a bed made out of high end clothes.

I can't think of a single item in her known (a.k.a. RIDICULOUSLY SMALL) post-wedding wardrobe that is just a one-timer and not easily reusable as part of her royal working wardrobe even 10-20 years from now on. All of her pieces are timeless, high quality, classics with most having a nice breathing room for any weight she might put on in the years and decades to come.

Sophie is someone who is quite fond of doing this. That's why no one bats an eye that she goes to regular working events in OSCAR DE LA RENTA or GUCCI or EMILIA WICKSTEAD or VALENTINO or EMILIO PUCCI or PRADA or ERDEM, because she tends to rewear those extremely expensive dresses a good couple times, even years later.

______

I also find the idea of talking about statistics and patterns quite ridiculous with such a joke of a sampling size, and unreliable estimates and sources.

People are busy comparing tomatoes and apples and then are outraged if the two don't taste the same despite both technically being fruits, round and red.

______

With that said, if we don't see a better balance of new items by the end of this year, it WOULD certainly be a very questionable choice. Even if Meghan is very likely spending her own, hard-earned money.

I expect her to start rewearing dresses in about 2-3 months. She has already been rewearing her shoes, clutches, belts and jewellery (which are often counted each time as new by the Daily Fail btw, lol ). So, I definitely see her doing the same with clothes fairly quickly.
Thank you, thank you , thank you.

BTW...I see no hoopla over the DoC very expensive almost 2,000 pound Dolce and Gabana purse today at Wimbledon. Shouldn't she also be repping British fashion houses at all times. The hypocrisy is real. People are up in arms over a very small sample of the Duchess of Sussex's working royal wardrobe that she has only been sporting for less than 2 months while going on a handful of royal engagements. Instead of allowing her the time to breathe, find her footing, and dare I say, let us see some repeat outfits over the course of a year before we start to crucify her.

And another note, this British fashion vs the world...what benefit do these royal women bring to these fashion houses besides exposure? I can assure you, no one is running out to buy a 10,000 pound McQueen dress or a 20,000 Euro Givenchy dress just because Catherine or Meghan wears them. What they will buy are the accessories, the more affordable, couple hundred pound pieces that they wear. They may also purchase those "everyday" wear outfits from the highstreet in the UK or Madison Ave. in NYC. I've been a fan of Strathberry long before Meghan came on the scene, and she just renewed my love for the brand, so I bought a few more pieces to add my existing collection. Catherine already reps McQueen enough and Jenny Packman. There already getting the exposure. Meghan wearing their pieces isn't going to do diddly squat for their bottom line in the course of things, because again, no one is going to buy a 10,000 McQueen outfit unless they are already wearing McQueen.

All this is to say, let the DoS get over the hump of the highly publicised events and get to working on her everyday work wear over the course of a year, and then judge.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Majesty

I don’t think anyone realistically thinks every item from top to bottom must be British but I do think royals should fly the flag for Britain as often as they can, and not just in fashion. Prince Charles is a good example of promoting local businesses and produce.

Really to me it just makes sense. Right now when I think of Meghan, I think high end French couture.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think you need to be a genius to figure out that whatever happened in the past, modern royals are siupposed to be supporting their own country, its industries and products.. that's part of thteir job... Of course it s not necessary for EVERY item to be British made... or that they never wear foreign designers, but it should be relatively minimal. if they have an itch to wear French fashion, they can do so in htier off duty time...
Old 07-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Queen Victoria (see documentary from my post)
But it wasn't consistent. Yes, Queen Victoria supported some local industries such as lacemakers and the Spitalfields silk weavers, but, as she wasn't known as a fashion icon most of her clothes were made by her own seamstresses and no-one took any notice.

Queen Alexandra, other Royal women and many in London Society, went to Paris for their garments, notably to the House of Worth. Worth was an Englishman but he worked and lived in Paris.

Princess Marina supported the British cotton industry when she wore afternoon dresses of cotton, but she also wore items by French designers. That's not the same as Hartnell dressing the Queen, heir and her sister pretty well exclusively.

Quote:
I don't think you need to be a genius to figure out that whatever happened in the past, modern royals are siupposed to be supporting their own country, its industries and products.. that's part of thteir job... Of course it s not necessary for EVERY item to be British made... or that they never wear foreign designers, but it should be relatively minimal. if they have an itch to wear French fashion, they can do so in htier off duty time...
Denville, you have seen, I suppose, the long, long list in the Duchess of Sussex thread that two posters put online, which showed every British and Commonwealth designer that Meghan has worn since November last year, just eight and a half months in total, btw?
Old 07-14-2018, 09:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Cassini was born and educated in France. It's small wonders that his designs are very French. And certainly, as someone has already mentioned, they designed accordingly to the French house designs. However, good luck getting away with that today. Intellectual property and all.

Anyways, my view on who has a say on fashion is first protocol, after that, it's up to the person wearing it and the person paying for it. Never underestimate the power of the purse string.
Aw geeesh... Now I'm finding myself interested in keeping an eye out for British wool in royal wardrobes. This is the guy that floats the boat that pays for Meghan and Kate's wardrobes so I have to think he's going to have some kind of influence in this. Not only with his daughter-in-laws but actually globally.

https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion...isit-10848914/
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 07-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Aw geeesh... Now I'm finding myself interested in keeping an eye out for British wool in royal wardrobes. This is the guy that floats the boat that pays for Meghan and Kate's wardrobes so I have to think he's going to have some kind of influence in this. Not only with his daughter-in-laws but actually globally.

https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion...isit-10848914/
I doubt Charles cares what his daughters-in-law unless there is a problem. But I would think the person who's footing the bill would have a say when his money is buying trouble somehow.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Royal Highness

I happen to think if this is true of Prince Charles then I am all for it as it brings jobs and money to the country. What is not to love about gorgeous fabrics made in your own country? I can't think of a thing and I try to buy fabrics here all the time and not one would I pay a penny for. As someone who is a homebody and loves sewing and crafts and making my home just for me, I would love to see things made in the US....yet not going to happen to most things now days. Yes I would love to buy wools from England or Scotland for all those plaids are my cup of tea.......so any links to fabrics made in either of these countries send them my way....and Thank you!

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances