Royal Wealth and Finances 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope no symbol on my computer for UK pounds.

According to wikipedia the Queen pays back the money from her Duchy funds.

Oh, there was another programme on TV which was to do with her incomes generated from the Duchy of Lancaster (I understand that Her Majesty's Chapel of Savoy belongs to her via this duchy - they have such a lovely choral traditions - Golly, they sing the National Anthem before the Eucharistic Service every Sunday) which is not the property of the Crown but the monarch's private possession. I think this generates some £300m or something but it's a tax free account or whatever.

People who blame the Queen (& by extension the Royal Family) for 'eating up' tax dollars betray a basic lack of understanding of how the Queen's official activities ar financed.

The Duchy of Lancaster is the personal property of the monarch - not the Queen herself but is given to her to use personally as the monarch, it automatically passes to whomever is mornarch.
The estate is worth around £300milllion and earned a net profit of about £11million which the Queen has as private income. Although the duchy is not the property of the state the queen can not profit from the sale of its land - i.e. she couldn't say -"let's sell off hte whole lot and make £300million!!" She only has the income.
I think its from this that she pays back the civil list.
Below is its website with finances etc.

The Duchy of Lancaster - Home

Last edited:
Oh P.S - i think in a way they are scapegoats, i mean - someone has to do the job and im sure a presdient and his/her staff, advisors etc would cost nearly the same - the buildings such as Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace would still have toi be mainatained somehow and i can';t see a president (such as Gorson Brown or David Cameron) staying at Number 10. I think a president and a monarchy probably at the end of the day cost abour the same.
Then of course there's the politics factor - i for one love having a head of state who is out of the political arena and above party politics. the thought of President and first Lady Blair makes me shudder.

Um, she actually doesn't 'pay back' the Civil List. The Civil List is income from the Crown Estate, the gross income of which is surrendered by the Monarch to the Government at the beginning of each reign. From those revenues, the government pays roughly 5% (at current figures) to the Queen for official duties--upkeep of the Occupied Palaces, State Visits, etc. Some money from the Civil List is paid to Pss Alexandra and a couple of others. HM repays those amounts only to the government from her private funds--income from the Duchy of Lancaster, of course, and one can only assume that HM has other property and financial interests.

Sorry i meant to say she pays back the Parliamentary Annuities paid to members of the royal family apart from herself and Prince Philip. The Duke recived £359,000 a year. Princes Andrew and Edward, Princess Anne, Princess Alexandra, the Kents and the Gloucesters all recieve annuitites that are repaid by the Queen.
Money from the Duchy goes into the Privy Purse

. . . Then of course there's the politics factor - i for one love having a head of state who is out of the political arena and above party politics. the thought of President and first Lady Blair makes me shudder.
As does mine when I think of some lame politician as El Presidente! They don't have the nous, pizzazz, class, call it what you will but imagine President and Lady Blair entertaining at the last State Banquet, ugh!!! Yes, definitely apolitical, or extra-political for that matter, is best.

The UK has an incredible edge, why on earth are the media, and some notable republicans trying to kill the golden goose?

As to being a tourist, well "Changing Guards at Buckingham Palace" just wouldn't be the same. A living, breathing institution is something to celebrate. There are are more than enough museums to go around without adding the Palaces!

People who blame the Queen (& by extension the Royal Family) for 'eating up' tax dollars betray a basic lack of understanding of how the Queen's official activities ar financed.
Yes I think so sometimes.

Sorry i meant to say she pays back the Parliamentary Annuities paid to members of the royal family apart from herself and Prince Philip. The Duke recived £359,000 a year. Princes Andrew and Edward, Princess Anne, Princess Alexandra, the Kents and the Gloucesters all recieve annuitites that are repaid by the Queen.
Money from the Duchy goes into the Privy Purse

Uh, no. money from the Duchy is the Privy Purse.

£ £ Thanks Warren it works. :D

I found this while looking at another royal website.

Part of the topic deals with what the civil list is and about how much is spent, and what the UK government get for having a civil list for the royals.

Current Perception of the Windsors and the Future of the Monarchy

No wonder the UK government are quite happy to keep the British Royal Family.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Queen 264th richest person in the UK

According to the Sunday Times Richlist 2008 - publsihed today, the Queen ranks 264th with a estimated fortune of £320million.
The Rich List points out that in its first edition in 1989 the Queen ranked number 1 with a fortune of £5.2billion, but that included the Royal Collection which is no longer included as the Queen is only "steward" of it on behalf of the nation.
According to the article the Queen's property is worth £120million, her investment portfolio is £100million, and her art collection £2million, also inlcuded is the Royal Stamp Collection, her own jewellery and the Queen Mother's legacy.

Princes William and Harry appear in the Young Person's Rich list at 13th with a joint fortune of £35million. According to the article they inherited £12million from their mother and also inherited money from the Queen Mother. The total is boosted by investments and intrest.

No other memeber of the royal family appears on the list which lists the 1,000 wealthiest people in the UK, to appear in the top 1,000 one must have at least £80million, however from Tuesday a further 1,000 people will be lsited on the Sunday times website, therefore listing the 2,000 richest people in the UK, to appear here one must have at least £40million.

Anyone know how much other royals are worth? Ann, Andrew and Edward? Does Prince Philip have his own wealth?

Last edited:
Which property does the Queen personally own?

Sandringham and Balmoral mainly, she also has other smaller properties she rents out etc but does not live in.

Buckingham Palace, St James's Palace, Kensington Palace, Windsor Castle and Hollyrood Palace are the property of the state.

Last edited:
Interesting she didnt even make the top 10 and William and Henry should be counted seperatly I Think is there a link???

If the Royal Collection and the State Properties were included she would almost certainly be in the top ten. When the Royal Collection was includedshe was richer or as rich as the Duke of Westminster who is ranked at number 3 today with a £7billion fortune.

I suppose William and Harry are included together because no-one really knows how the money from diana and the Queen Mother is divided, we can guess but only a very few people know for sure.

I read somewhere that Ann was worth about £20million, Andrew about £14million and Edward £9million, but i can't remember where they were from. Anyone have any ideas about how much they are worth?

Last edited:
Interesting she didnt even make the top 10 and William and Henry should be counted seperatly I Think is there a link???

Uh, no? William and Harry were counted separately on a list of young people. She is worth approximately 10 times what they are. 30-40 times, if you count the Crown Estate as her property.

Having thought about it i suppose Anne would be worth more than her two other brothers as she is the only one of them who owns her property out right and her estate is larger than Bagshot or the Royal Lodge.

Last edited:
I don't think Prince Philip's wealth would be very high. He was practically penniless when he moved to the UK, and he's never really been in a role that would allow him to accumulate much money.

Yeah i can't see how he'd have accumulated wealth either but even more so i can't imagine him happily going tothe queen and asking for money each week. I mean he has his own affairs he needs to finanace - cars, clothes, his carriage riding when he did it. He must, i think, have some money somewhere even if its only a little.

According to this article by the telegraph newspaper Viscount Linely is worth about £20million, his wife comes from a rich family - her father, Viscount Petersham is worth £250million according to the 2008 Sunday Times Rich List.

Viscount Linley defends royal auction - Telegraph

Last edited:
According to this article by the telegraph newspaper Viscount Linely is worth about £20million, his wife comes from a rich family - her father, Viscount Petersham is worth £250million according to the 2008 Sunday Times Rich List.

Viscount Linley defends royal auction - Telegraph

I suppose 20 million pounds isn't enough to educate two children? The death duties on Princess Margaret's estate were only about 3 millions pounds and the auction netted about 14-15 million pounds. I recall reading somewhere that Viscount Linley said that the money after tax payment would be donated to various charities; do we know if this actually occurred?
I will say this--I understand about selling the Poltimore--no one in the family would ever really have the chance to wear it--but a plastic umbrella? Are you kidding me? Talk about using his mother to make buck.
I'm just glad the Teck circle necklace, turquoise parue, and Paprus tiara weren't sold. The riviere broke my heart. I'm sure HRH The Princess Margaret would have been heartbroken--but not surprised given that he sold her home on Mustique shortly after she gave it to him.
I wonder why Linley gets to make the decisons and gets all the breaks? Lady Sarah must have some say in these matters?

Royal Family cost 66p per person in the UK every year

Buckingham palace has released the annual royal finances for the last financial year, it shows that each person in the UK pays 66 pence to fund the royal family. The Palace has pointed out that this is less than the cost of an I-Tunes download.

If you want to read the report it can be found here:
Media Centre > Press releases > Royal Public Finances annual report, 27 June 2008

Last year the cost per person was 4p less, so 62 pence and the total cost was £2million higher this year than last year.

What I find quite interesting about this is that we're now suddenly paying 66p whereas for the past few years it's been a steady 61/62p. Methinks someone's been having a few more gin and dubonnets.

4pence for every taxpayer on gin? Would HM (or anyone for that matter) be able to walk after that much gin? lol.

More likely its down to rising costs of everything, such as food, fuel etc.

On one hand 66p a year is nothing, on the other hand one wonders why they dip in the taxpayers' pockets if they have all those fortunes.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ you right everything has gone up so its not really a shock that we pay 4extra pence for our beloved royals ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom