The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I like to see these pieces to see if there was something I missed, and I did, that gorgeous red sweater.

What an absurd article, though. They count the price of the tanzanite earrings and charms necklace and several other earrings she has had for years. Why not count the price of the engagement ring and the maple leaf brooch while you are at it. The funniest part was the price of another part of her wardrobe she has had for a long time, the dreaded wedges. They are now on sale for about 13 pounds!

Those boots with the tassels she had since university. Where is the breakdown of William's suits and dad wear clothing costs. It's only ever the Duchess of Cambridge and occasionally George and Charlotte with the cost of their clothing. How much did Harry pay for those blue shoes or her majesty's hat from Philip Tracey? Don't the people deserve to know Daily Mail.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 10-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Nobility

Every day the Queen steps outside she's wearing many thousands of pounds worth of clothing and jewellery. Her least valuable brooches alone are probably worth more than I earn in a year, but no one says anything about it.

I mean what must the value of this ensemble been? £10 million? £20 million? More?

Old 10-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Every day the Queen steps outside she's wearing many thousands of pounds worth of clothing and jewellery. Her least valuable brooches alone are probably worth more than I earn in a year, but no one says anything about it.

I mean what must the value of this ensemble been? £10 million? £20 million? More?
That's because people have more respect for the role of the monarch. For some odd reason, people have come too obsessed with the younger royals wardrobe and cost for their official roles.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

It's not the younger royals. It's one younger Royal- Kate. There is no cost listed for William's or Harry's clothing. The Daily Mail isn't going to be running a similar clothing and accessories cost breakdown when Harry comes back from his tour of the Caribbean. The Mail had an article on Bea visiting an eye clinic in Nepal with a brief description of her outfit but no prices.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would be willing to bet my last coffee cake that the prices listed for various articles of clothing that Kate has been seen wearing is the retail price from the different designers and as the probability of the item selling better because Kate wore it, the price may be higher than something she's never worn. We don't know how much Kate was charged for the items.

Designers and fashion houses probably fall all over themselves to have Kate wear something of theirs. Its very possible too that Kate has something similar to contracts with various designers she's happy with and, for lack of a better term, buy in bulk for a set fee. Like 12 Jenny Packham dresses for $x.xx.

I don't think at any time that Kate actually goes on shopping sprees and uses Charles' credit cards until they melt. The Daily Mail just likes to allude to the fact that her apparel is expensive.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

I guess part of the reason people may be critical is that in some cases she is buying items nearly identical to things she already owns - the red coat for example looked to my untrained eye very similar to the red coat she wore when she arrived in New Zealand - okay that one had different buttons but otherwise the same?

I guess its hard when your a 'new royal' as you have to build up a wardrobe over a short period of time.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

The media will always be obsessed with the Royal ladies wardrobe. They have to look good when on official duties. Just wait until Harry gets married. The same obsession will occur with his wife's wardrobe. The media will also try to create some friction between the two ladies and over spending. Some people will fall for it.

Catherine looked beautiful on this tour, but I think her other European royal counterparts blow her wardrobe out of the water when it comes to fashion and cost.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-02-2016, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

The DM really is pathetic when it comes to women though. The Prime Minister is in Birmingham to deliver a speech and the Mail has a story about Theresa May's £215 Russell & Bromley black suede flats with metal toe caps.

In the 6 years Cameron was in office we never read about his shoes.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The media will always be obsessed with the Royal ladies wardrobe. They have to look good when on official duties. Just wait until Harry gets married. The same obsession will occur with his wife's wardrobe. The media will also try to create some friction between the two ladies and over spending. Some people will fall for it.

Catherine looked beautiful on this tour, but I think her other European royal counterparts blow her wardrobe out of the water when it comes to fashion and cost.
Some might argue that would be because they do more public duties so need more clothes
Old 10-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Some might argue that would be because they do more public duties so need more clothes
Well, some might say that, but Catherine have a job to do and her job requires her to wear the best clothing. The reporting will get worse, because her wardrobe will expand even more once she becomes the Princess of Wales.

It do seem like the media is far more into Catherine's wardrobe than anyone else in the family though. Sophie's wardrobe has expanded and is expensive, but it's never questioned or reported on. The same can be said about the York's.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I've seen little articles here and there about Sophie's clothing and the makers, sometimes foreign designers, and have also seen William and Harry's clothing and shoes priced from time to time. Not articles about clothes for specific engagements but about Lobbs their shoemaker, where the POW also gets his shoes hand made, and the prices there and at businesses they are believed to patronise for their shirts, suits, casual clothing etc, so it's not completely unknown.

The York girls have their trust fund and Eugenie has a job so I doubt Andrew gets their clothing bills, nor those for his ex wife of course.

The media always concentrates on what a woman wears in comparison to a man. It's just the nature of the beast. Charles has always been well-tailored and well-presented but his clothing was never really mentioned during his first marriage while Diana's got headlines.

The publicity over Kate's clothing is probably partly because of this and partly because it's well-known that Prince Charles underwrites her wardrobe from Duchy of Cornwall funds, which the Press do mention more than once!
Old 10-06-2016, 12:59 AM
Aristocracy

I finally got a chance to crunch some numbers in that DM article. A few of the repeats have been pointed out but I was curious about how badly they overcounted. So I looked at every item they listed with a price and totted up the cost of all the items that she'd previously owned.

Of the total that they itemized (£61,852), £42,252.59 was for repeats. That's 68% of the total "cost" as claimed by the DM.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:36 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The publicity over Kate's clothing is probably partly because of this and partly because it's well-known that Prince Charles underwrites her wardrobe from Duchy of Cornwall funds, which the Press do mention more than once!
Now that you've mentioned this, I've come to realize just how much Charles and Kate have in common. They recycle, they own clothing that is timeless and the clothes they have, although perhaps more on the expensive side, is quality made.

If anyone is going to appreciate good, quality clothing that can last, fit right and look good for years, its Charles. As this article says, he's the king of wardrobe recycling.

One's antique clothes show: How Prince Charles has always been king of wardrobe recycling | Daily Mail Online
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-06-2016, 01:40 AM
Serene Highness

^^^ it was horribly misleading. I was waiting for the DM to add in the value of her engagement ring (priceless) and her watch. Such irresponsible journalism....so of course Yahoo picked up the story and ran with it

https://www.yahoo.com/style/duchess-...154552306.html
Old 11-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen spent £1.4million on food last year, and £500,000 on alcohol for her guests* | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Nobility

I think the existing funding situation for the BRF is still far too generous. It seems highly archaic for the monarch and eldest son to receive so much money from the two Royal Duchies. These funds could be better spent elsewhere. Also there seems to be very little accountability with how the Sovereign Support Grant is spent. Obviously maintenance, staff and entertainment will cost money, but royal travel in particular seems out of control. It would also be more transparent to pay a salary to each working royal, unlike the old civil list payments which had to pay for staff and offices too.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Also there seems to be very little accountability with how the Sovereign Support Grant is spent.
Sovereign Grant expenditure is subject to the same audit scrutiny as other government expenditure, through the National Audit Office and the Public Accounts Committee.

The Keeper of the Privy Purse must keep proper accounting records relating to Royal Household expenditure.

The Keeper will prepare a statement of accounts relating to relevant resources used for a financial year, and give a copy of the statement to the Comptroller and Auditor General.

The Comptroller and Auditor General will examine, certify and report on the statement of accounts, and give a copy of the report and statement to the Treasury.

The Treasury will lay a copy of the report and statement of accounts before Parliament, and give a copy of the report and statement to the Royal Trustees.

The Comptroller and Auditor General will have the power to carry out value for money examinations of Royal Household expenditure.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I think the existing funding situation for the BRF is still far too generous. It seems highly archaic for the monarch and eldest son to receive so much money from the two Royal Duchies.
The Duchies are independent pools of capital, with very specific rules on what can or can't be done with the capital. They are held in trust for the monarch and the heir respectively. They do not belong to the government or the people.

Quote:
These funds could be better spent elsewhere.
By whom? The Queen, as Monarch or the PoW, the beneficiaries of these two Duchies.

Quote:
Also there seems to be very little accountability with how the Sovereign Support Grant is spent. Obviously maintenance, staff and entertainment will cost money, but royal travel in particular seems out of control. It would also be more transparent to pay a salary to each working royal, unlike the old civil list payments which had to pay for staff and offices too.
See above.

In addition to being audited, both BP and CH publish and Annual Review that very transparently lays out their respective sources of income and expenditure, quite like a public company may. IMO, these two organisations are probably some of the most transparent organisations!

Quote:
It would also be more transparent to pay a salary to each working royal, unlike the old civil list payments which had to pay for staff and offices too.
.. and bring the finances of the BRF under the direct control of the government of the day? In doing so, you will destroy the independence of the monarchy from the government of the day.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Duchies are independent pools of capital, with very specific rules on what can or can't be done with the capital. They are held in trust for the monarch and the heir respectively. They do not belong to the government or the people.

By whom? The Queen, as Monarch or the PoW, the beneficiaries of these two Duchies.

See above.

In addition to being audited, both BP and CH publish and Annual Review that very transparently lays out their respective sources of income and expenditure, quite like a public company may. IMO, these two organisations are probably some of the most transparent organisations!

.. and bring the finances of the BRF under the direct control of the government of the day? In doing so, you will destroy the independence of the monarchy from the government of the day.

The monarch and their heir do not need the multimillion pound income from the Duchies. The money could either be paid entirely to the Exchequer or to some charity.

The working royals should of course be compensated for the work they do,and housed appropriately but they do not need to be indulged or given a life of luxury that is not available to other people.

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances