The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry is also the adult backup to William. Down the line, when William's children are adults and Harry is in Andrew's role. He is not going to have police protection 24/7

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 03-20-2016, 11:55 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Sorry but that is the problem the royals have thinking like this. Why do tabloids write these stories? Because they SELL. People read them and they do care. If you look at the comment sections you will find plenty of people share the opinions of the writers. If royals continue to burry their heads in the sand and refuse to aknowledge this head on this will simply build. And when you are relying on tax payers to fund your lives, disenchanting tax payers is not a great move.
Once again, the tax payers do not, in any shape or form, fund the lives of the British Royal Family. The taxpayer's do pay for their security. And, if you really want to get down to the grass roots, Charles, whose income comes from the interest earned for the Duchy of Cornwall that supports his immediate family, pays taxes. The Queen also pays taxes on her income from the Duchy of Lancaster. These are the incomes that fund and reimburse the royal family for the work they do for Crown and Country. They are also, most likely, very likely independently wealthy people. Other than the yearly released information on the Duchies and the Sovereign Grant (a certain percentage of the monies earned by the Crown Estate reverts to the monarch for expenses), we don't know the size of their bank accounts and their portfolios.

William and Kate could, if they wished and it was approved by the Queen and the Firm, could take up pig farming in the highlands of Scotland for the next 3 years. It would not change the way the British monarchy works. It may be a unwise move but it wouldn't change anything other than popular opinion.

This link will explain more to you on just how the British Royal Family is funded.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHous...eignGrant.aspx

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-21-2016, 01:13 AM
Royal Highness

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/money/m...11363982445194

Old 03-21-2016, 01:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
This is the perfect link that explains it all in detail. Its plain to see where the money comes from and where it goes and what it is used for. I think the system that is in use in the UK is excellent. The royal family's lifestyles (such as clothes and vacations and luxuries) are not actually paid by the monies the taxpayers pay but are funded through good, solid investments of their respective duchies. Its also amazing for me to see that the expense to an individual taxpayer is relatively very low to provide for the work (expenses, travel, security, staff) the royals do, the upkeep of stately homes that are part of their national heritage (Crown Estates) and especially the way things are set up to ensure this system is in place for future monarchs. Everything pertaining to the financial expenditures of the BRF as far as their service to crown and country is accounted for. As far as their private lives, that really isn't any of our business.

Perhaps this all belongs in the Royal Finance thread and continued there. I just feel that people sometimes are way of the mark in assuming that it is the taxpayer's monies when it comes to seeing royals fly off on vacations or decorate a home or receive compensation when they do royal engagements with the idea if the taxpayer's funds were no longer available, these royal persons would be left out in the cold and down on their luck and its public opinion and public fundings that keep them in the lifestyles they have.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-21-2016, 04:16 AM
Heir Apparent

But in essence, providing Duchies is (indirect) state-funding. After all: was there no royal family, the revenues from the Duchies would flow in the purse of the Cancellor of the Exchequer, who can use that money very well these days...
Old 03-21-2016, 04:29 AM
Heir Apparent

But there is a monarchy and royal family. That's the reality.

Another thing we often overlook is it's only the Queen and Pince of Wales who are provided with incomes for official work. How they choose to spend the money is up to them.

So William, Catherine and Harry depend on others in the family to fund them. It's not until William is Duke of Cornwall will he have his own money
Old 03-21-2016, 04:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But in essence, providing Duchies is (indirect) state-funding. After all: was there no royal family, the revenues from the Duchies would flow in the purse of the Cancellor of the Exchequer, who can use that money very well these days...
My interpretation of the duchies seems to vary from yours. Not saying that I'm correct but it would be interesting to find out what exactly would happen should the UK become a republic and there is no more royal family or "Firm".

From what I've read recently in the post royal rob posted, it stated "The Queen also generates income from her land and property portfolio. These assets are known as the Duchy of Lancaster and are held in trust for the sovereign. The Duchy is managed and run for the Queen and she receives all the net profits – about £12.5 million a year at the last count. This income is referred to as the Privy Purse."

To me, this denotes that this is her personal holdings. Should the royal family be ousted, I would be apt to believe that this would still remain the private wealth of the former Queen.

As for the Duchy of Cornwall, I really don't have a clue.
― John Lennon
Old 03-21-2016, 06:37 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duchy of Lancaster:
"The Duchy of Lancaster is an ancient body responsible for managing an investment portfolio of land, property and financial investments. It also undertakes various administrative duties associated with the area of the historical County Palatine of Lancaster (today, primarily Lancashire, Greater Manchester and Merseyside). The Duchy’s main purpose is to provide income for the Sovereign as Duke of Lancaster, although the Sovereign is not entitled to any of the capital assets of the Duchy. [...]"
(link)

The Crown Estate:
"The Crown Estate belongs to the reigning monarch 'in right of The Crown', that is, it is owned by the monarch for the duration of their reign, by virtue of their accession to the throne. But it is not the private property of the monarch - it cannot be sold by the monarch, nor do revenues from it belong to the monarch. [...]"
(link)

To me it seems both the Duchy of Lancaster as well the Crown Estate are placed at Her Majesty's disposal, to provide an income. This is an indirect funding via the State, as I read it.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:46 AM
Moderator Emeritus

The Duchy of Lancaster is held by the crown. A republic would mean taking the crown from the reigning monarch and vesting its powers and property in some other entity.

A good way to tell if it's personal property is to see if George VI had to buy it from his brother. I've never heard that he had to do that for the Duchy of Lancaster (as he did with Sandringham and Balmoral), which would indicate that it's crown (i.e. state) property.

The current arrangement where the Queen gets the proceeds from property as opposed to taxation is certainly politically advantageous but I don't think the actual bookkeeping would be any different if she was directly subsidized. It's all state funds.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:31 PM
Courtier

If the monarchy ceased to exist, and the duchy and crown estates was given over to the government it would be no where near enough to make up for the income loss from lack of tourists. Look at the mess Greece is in.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

We have seen these duchies with a royal family since they predate the English Civil War. They were controlled by parliament.

Henry IV declared the Duchy of Lancaster as a separate entity from the crown. That's why it wasn't turned over as part of the Crown Estate being surrendered for the Civil list you George III

Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

THe fact is no one knows what would happen.

Removing the monarchy constitutionally is completely different than through revolution.

It would be about compromise and some compensation - so (perhaps) the Duchy of Lancaster assets could stay with the ex-monarch, but Duchy of Cornwall would revert to Government.

or vice versa.

And the income could be used to maintain BP, KP, Windsor, Frogmore etc. as tourist attractions.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-22-2016, 02:11 AM
Heir Apparent

British monarchy is valued at £58.4 BILLION says report | Daily Mail Online
Old 04-29-2016, 05:41 PM
Commoner

I am on a quest to find out more about the income of Queen Elizabeth, while she was a Princess of the United Kingdom. As she was not the "Prince of Wales" or Duke of Cornwall, she was not entitled to the income from those estates. Can point me in the right direction for more info from that time?

Facebook Royalty Page: House of Royals
Old 04-29-2016, 06:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDerius View Post
I am on a quest to find out more about the income of Queen Elizabeth, while she was a Princess of the United Kingdom. As she was not the "Prince of Wales" or Duke of Cornwall, she was not entitled to the income from those estates. Can point me in the right direction for more info from that time?

Facebook Royalty Page: House of Royals
11 Jul 1952 - Royal Family's Dependence On The Civil List - Trove

This is a newspaper article from 1952 that says that Elizabeth was given a Civil List allowance of 40,000 pounds.

It is quite an interesting read e.g. George VI, with no Duke of Cornwall during his reign, handed that income over to the state.

What I also found interesting is that Victoria, Edward VII, Edward VIII and George VI all voluntarily paid tax but George V and Elizabeth II decided not to do so (until Elizabeth was shamed into doing so in 1992).
Old 04-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Elizabeth was granted £15,000 a year at the age of 21, from monies allocated to the Civil List. (Before that she had presumably been given a personal allowance from the King's income, for any official duties from the Duchy of Lancaster, and for clothing and other expenses from his private fortune.)

I know that Parliament had to be negotiated with under very tough economic circumstances after the War. It was equally austere when the Royal Household again went back to Parliament at the time of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip's engagement but Parliament agreed to an increase to £40,000 a year for Princess Elizabeth and an allowance of £10,000 for Philip, as they would be carrying out more engagements and both their expenses would be large.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Now Denmark plans to stop paying its royals, let's discuss the £40m our own take from the taxpayer every year | Voices | The Independent
Old 05-31-2016, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Earth to Independent. Denmark is a smaller country. So does the Independent expect the Royal Family to pay for official duties and official tours. I don't know anyone who would work for free and pay all their expenses.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:51 PM
Royal Highness

It's the Independent, and this laughable article must be taken with a large pinch of salt.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Courtier

Stop paying the BRF. Just give them back the Crown Estates and let them be. Thought Not!

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances