The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
We give a third of the power to the President, Congress a third and the Supreme Court a third. They all work. They all have power. They can all check the other. Charities and ribbon cutting are not in the picture. Also, great family wealth that has been passed down for generations, is not in the picture. (Don't tell me about the Bushes) yAnd, yes, I can see that European Nations have given status to those who are window dressing. But they didn't inherit it, their sons won't inherit and this has not gone on ad infinitum without taxes for the most part. If they accept gifts from foreign potentates it belongs to the state, not their wives.
The Head of State in a dual system (h of Gov/h of state) is not "window dressing". It is a nations preferred method of government and should be respected.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-25-2015, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
News that the Crown Estate returned record profits of £285m last year means the Queen is expected to receive a further £2m in public funding next year. But just how rich is the Queen and where does her wealth come from?

Despite the fact that many details of the Queen's income are released publicly, the Queen's exact wealth is not known.

That is because the Queen is not required to reveal her private finances.

According to the Sunday Times Rich List 2015, her estimated fortune is £340m, up £10m from last year.

What is known about the Queen's wealth can be broadly divided between her private income and funding given to her, as the reigning monarch, by the government.
More: How rich is the Queen? - BBC News

Old 06-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter Jun 24
How much does it cost to run the household of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry? We don't know; royal aides won't say

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
How much does it cost to run the household of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry? We don't know; royal aides won't say
I've always heard that Prince Charles funds them out of the income from his Duchy of Cornwall; the Queen pays for the rest of the family.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I've always heard that Prince Charles funds them out of the income from his Duchy of Cornwall; the Queen pays for the rest of the family.

Yes, that's true.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The running of the household of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry are paid for by Prince Charles through the duchy of cornwall. They don't receive any money from the state / sovereign grant in their own.

When traveling on behalf of the Queen or when their new apartment at kensington palace needed repairs, the cost is / was covered by the sovereign grant.

The costs of running the household of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry are included in the cost of running the household of Prince Charles and Camilla.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

We know that and Richard Palmer - a royal reporter doesn't. That says a lot about the knowledge of 'royal reporters' doesn't it?
Old 06-26-2015, 07:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
We know that and Richard Palmer - a royal reporter doesn't. That says a lot about the knowledge of 'royal reporters' doesn't it?
I think he likely does know, but such facts would get in the way of his trying to spin a story. He, in particular, seems to have a habit of doing that sort of thing (unless he is really completely clueless).
Old 06-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer knows Charles pays for the Cambridge's and Prince Harry's Royal Household. I think he's wondering what's the total cost to run their household.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think that's a figure we will never know and I hope it stays that way. I can see the expenditures being made public on their official dealings but when it comes down to their private lives and finances, they should expect the same level of privacy everyone else has. I, myself, wouldn't take to kindly inquiries from Joe Public as to what the state of my finances are and/or how I spend it. Heck, even my husband and I don't have to justify what we buy or don't buy with each other all the time.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-26-2015, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Its only the Queen and the Prince of Wales who are provided with official incomes. Both give yearly financial reports. They are not required to give breakdowns for individuals.

We don't see the Queen giving figures for the Household of the Duke of York or the Princess Royal.

Charles shouldn't give numbers for William and Harry. Richard Palmer is just being his usual annoying self.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I think he likely does know, but such facts would get in the way of his trying to spin a story. He, in particular, seems to have a habit of doing that sort of thing (unless he is really completely clueless).
Yes, he knows! But the problem is that ordinary people don't. Many believe in everything the media says / writes. Some people even believe in what crazy people like Russell Brand is saying.

Quote:
Richard Palmer knows Charles pays for the Cambridge's and Prince Harry's Royal Household. I think he's wondering what's the total cost to run their household.
As I said in my previous post, the costs of running the household of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry are included in the cost of running the household of Prince Charles and Camilla.

Richard Palmer get it to sound like as if William gets money from Charles to cover the cost of his household. He doesn't, those who work for William, Kate and Harry are paid by Charles through the duchy of Cornwall. Many of those who is working for Charles also work for William, Kate and Harry. It's really like one household, at least when it comes to the costs.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ordinary people know, they, also, know that the lands that they get their revenues from and the vast amount of their incomes originated with them. They never earned it. They took it by the sword, so to speak, for the many years they never paid taxes, for the sovereign to sovereign past fortune. The jewels Camilla has on loan, from the Queen Mother, would have been taxed but this subterfuge keeps them free and clear.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Ordinary people know, they, also, know that the lands that they get their revenues from and the vast amount of their incomes originated with them. They never earned it. They took it by the sword, so to speak, for the many years they never paid taxes, for the sovereign to sovereign past fortune. The jewels Camilla has on loan, from the Queen Mother, would have been taxed but this subterfuge keeps them free and clear.
You can believe what you want, but I will not discuss this with you again.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:53 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
They never earned it. They took it by the sword, so to speak, for the many years they never paid taxes,
And from my limited knowledge of such things, they also gave it back. Just imagine if they had never done that and the entire £285m the Crown Estates earned went in their pockets.

We forget too that perhaps each royal probably has invested and has healthy portfolios that are money makers in themselves. Perhaps HM owns a fair share of Microsoft or Charles has mega holdings in the Donald's companies and even Beatrice heavily invested in Virgin corporations. Perhaps both George and Charlotte own enough Disney stock to personally tell Goofy what to do. We just don't know and frankly, its none of our business.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Property giant The Crown Estate found itself at the centre of an explosive row this week – one that overshadowed a record year for the company.

The Crown Estate owns property and land all over Britain on behalf of the Queen, and its results attract attention.

The landlord and developer, which dates back to 1066, returns all profits to the Treasury which then dispenses 15 per cent of them to the monarchy through the Sovereign Grant.

So a 6.7 per cent rise in annual profits to a record £285.1m for 2014-15 means the Royal Family will get a cut of £42.8m in 2016-17 – up £2.7m on the previous year.

In the past decade The Crown Estate has returned more than £2.3bn to the Treasury – good news for taxpayers as well as the Queen. In the last financial year the value of its property empire jumped 16.7 per cent to £11bn.
More: Coining it for the Queen:*How the £11bn*Crown Estate*makes a mint*for the nation | This is Money
Old 07-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Duchy of Lancaster annual report: http://www.duchyoflancaster.co.uk/wp...ounts-2015.pdf

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
Buckingham Palace say the Duchy of Lancaster money is mainly used to fund the expenditure of royals including Andrew, Anne and Edward.

The Duchy of Lancaster is a private estate which covers 18,433 hectares.

The Queen's private income from the Duchy of Lancaster has increased by 18 per cent to £16m. (2014 £13.6m)
Old 07-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Royal Highness

Why can't Seb find something interesting to write about?

Four helicopter flights for Charles to watch polo says SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE | Daily Mail Online
Old 08-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Author David McClure has given the TRF Blog another article based on his book Royal Legacy, focusing on how the Windsors - in particular Queen Mary - distribute their wealth in the form of gifts to other family members.

The full article can be read here, some of information I found most intriguing pieces I've listed below.
  • Princess Margaret received approximately £800,000 worth of gifts from her grandmother, Queen Mary, by her 21st birthday
  • On her first birthday, Princess Margaret received a silver candle-holder from Queen Mary - the first of twelve
  • Princess Margaret's estate at the time of her death valued to the amount of £7,603,596
  • Queen Mary routinely gave her grandchildren "chain gifts" - pieces such as silver tea services - over a number of birthdays, eventually creating a full set
  • Queen Mary's estate at the time of her death valued to the amount of £406,407 9s 8d, as she had already gifted a lot of her possessions during her lifetime

Queen Mary's distribution method saved her family from massive death duties, that's for sure.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Royal Highness

Queen planning a palatial new home for her pigeons - Telegraph
Quote:
Stewart Wardrop, manager of the Royal Pigeon Racing Association, estimated the cost of the luxurious new loft to be around £40,000, in an interview with the Mail on Sunday.

The news comes after reports that the Queen might have to move out of her London residence, Buckingham Palace, so £150 million of urgently-needed repair work can be carried out.
What the heck has this to do with the £150 million repairs at Buckingham Palace? The Sandringham estate is owned privately by the Queen, and she / her Sandringham staff is not asking for any public money to do this, nor will they use the sovereign grant to cover it.

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances