The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 AM
Heir Apparent

MPs should put their own House in order - Telegraph

MPs should put their own House in order

The Royal Household - and its maintenance of royal properties - is not a valid target for the Public Accounts Committee

Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Royal Family doesn’t need a Disney makeover - Telegraph

Royal Family doesn’t need a Disney makeover

Dramatic headlines that the Queen is down to her last million don’t tell the whole story – the royal finances are looking up, says Harry Mount

Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Gentry

It is starting to seem like this is just political posturing between the government and the opposition which is pretty damn shoddy for any political party to try and use our Monarchy in such a way.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Majesty

That is the nature of the monarchy and politics these days - the monarch can't be political but the monarchy is used for point scoring by the parties. There was a time when the monarchy was held in high esteem by both sides of politics in the UK but these days one side clearly has many members who are republican and wish to see an end to the monarchy altogether and aren't afraid to use the institution as a political weapon.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Majesty

BBC News (UK) ‏@BBCNews 3h
Tuesday's Mirror: "The Queen and Charles cash in on benefits" pic.twitter.com/hgd647K6C4 #BBCpapers #TomorrowsPapersToday via @hendopolis

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Duchy of Cornwall And Crown Estate 'Given Over £200,000 In Benefit Payments'

Duchy of Cornwall And Crown Estate 'Given Over £200,000 In Benefit Payments'

A highly intellectual and well researched piece on the benefits payments used to pay the Duchy of Cornwall and the Crown Estate as rent for their properties. Seems to ignore the fact that the Duchy could well choose to not offer rental properties to those on benefits, or that the Crown Estate profits don't actually flow directly to the sovereign.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Courtier

Well that's always been the case with housing benefit. It's not the fault of the landlord that tennants need assistance in paying rent.

What are they supose to do evict them?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Gentry

It's a bit unfair for the press etc to have a go at both the Duchy of Cornwall and the Crown Estates because some of their tenants are needing to claim housing benefit.

If anything they should be applauded considering an increasing number of private landlords are refusing to have anything to do with tenants that find themselves having to claim any sort of help for whatever reason.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Gentry

If the Queen could sell BP, then I would consider it hers and she would be responsible for the repairs and upkeep. However, if it is not her personal property, then I would think it the responsibility of the British people to maintain it through the taxes they pay.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
If the Queen could sell BP, then I would consider it hers and she would be responsible for the repairs and upkeep. However, if it is not her personal property, then I would think it the responsibility of the British people to maintain it through the taxes they pay.
I'd be quite happy for a large chunk of my tax to go towards the much needed repairs and upkeep of the royal palaces, just a pity that our government would rather waste money on other things instead of sorting out this country first.

I honestly believe the Sovereign Grant is in dire need of an increase, perhaps even above what is needed normally just so the vital repairs can be made otherwise I fear that the repairs are going to get to the point of it being cheaper to demolish buildings rather than have them repaired or restored.

If one of us lived in a house with ancient boilers and plumbing, not to mention dodgy wiring, crumbling walls we would be able to take the landlord to court in order to force them to carry out repairs, pity the Queen cannot do the same with the government.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
1; the 60p or something we pay in taxes, goes to the money that The Queen is supposed to spend on repairs to the palaces.

2; We don't live there, why should we pay additional tax to repair a building we have to pay to visit for a few hours?

The Queen knows what money she has and common sense dictates how it should be used, evidently common sense did not dictate it should be spent on the places she lives in.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

The new method of payment "Sovereign Grant" has only been in place for 1 full financial year, plus part of another. The criticism levelled by the Parliamentary Committee was unfair IMO because they used the new method as a stick to beat HMQ (or rather her advisers) when there has been little or no time in which to sort out repairs with the new level of funds.

I can't remember the exact figure but HMQ went without a real term increase in monies for c. 20 years. She used the funds to pay wages. She used her own income (D of Lancaster) to pay for her family to support the royal family (except PoW and family).

This new funding includes her having 100% responsibility to maintain the buildings she uses. That was the deal and that is what was accepted. She now gets 15% of the PROFIT from Crown Estates - I think the last figures quoted were c. £37 million.

While Crown Estates is making money, she should be getting on with repairs.

I do think that she needs to rethink her financial advisers. Crown Estates and Duchy of Cornwall are increasing their income through sound investment of resources. Duchy of Lancaster isn't increasing at the same level.

Time to criticise when Sovereign grant has been in place for - IMO 5 years - and we revisit the state of the palaces.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Aristocracy

Obviously the Royals have a limited budget, but I think some of the criticism is based on the huge amounts of money they can find for some things such as the royal train at £81 a mile but not most important things such as the palaces
Old 03-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Obviously the Royals have a limited budget, but I think some of the criticism is based on the huge amounts of money they can find for some things such as the royal train at £81 a mile but not most important things such as the palaces
From the Royal website

Where appropriate, The Queen and other members of the Royal Family use scheduled train services for their official journeys.

In addition, the Royal Train is used by The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales on longer journeys around the UK.

The Royal Train enables members of the Royal Family to travel overnight and at times when the weather is too bad to fly, and to work and hold meetings during lengthy journeys. It has modern office and communications facilities. ................

...The current Queen's and Duke's Saloons came into service in 1977, when they were extensively used during the Silver Jubilee Royal tours.

The cost is the entire cost so if used as a rolling hotel, it reduces those sort of expenses and the train is also v secure. It also enables work to continue during travelling time.

The fact is it is rarely used today as it at the end of its days. Last useage figures I found were 2011 and it was used 19 times. Only HMQ, DoE, PoW and Duchess of Cornwall are allowed to use it.

It is unlikely to be replaced.

I think it is an entirely practical solution to them travelling around the country.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Aristocracy

I read of a recommendation to merge the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster with the Crown Estates - this seems like a sensible proposal to me - it would benefit the nation as a whole instead of the individual recipients of the profits. The Duke of Cornwall could be placed back on the Civil List along with his parents.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Majesty

There is NO Civil List anymore. That ended in 2012.

There is the Sovereign Grant and it doesn't pay the day to day bills but the official expenses of the monarchy e.g. the cost of the salaries of the staff of HM and DoE for their official duties.

The Duchies are to give them an independent income - they are really their salaries but also the money used to pay a salary for the extended family as well along with the costs of the official duties of those extended family members.

To merge the duchies with the Crown Estates either HM and the rest of the family either they would then have to increase the payments to them to actually give them some money on which to live OR have them with no means to support themselves from private means.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Aristocracy

A very misleading article, I did not expect anything else from Rebecca English.

Your bill to refurbish Kate's palace now £4MILLION: New kitchen, nursery and several bathrooms quadruples the cost | Mail Online
Old 06-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Courtier

DM take the Royal Coat of Arms off your paper.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Majesty

Royals defend palace refurbishment and new helicopter-
Royals defend palace refurbishment and new helicopter - Telegraph

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Majesty

Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 3h
Off to the annual Royal Finances meeting at the Palace today - embargoed until midnight, but should make interesting reading!

The Queen's finances explained: All you need to know before the Privy Purse is opened-
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...u-need-3753404

Dr. Maya Angelou

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances