Royal Wealth and Finances 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is debatable, though.
The money comes from the Duchy of Cornwall, so the public may reasonably expect some consideration from the RF.

The RF depends on public goodwill for their survival.
Reports that someone is spending a fortune on clothes will not go over well.

All the new wives that come into the family are going to spend some money to build up their wardrobe and then again every year they will add...we've seen it several times now. Nothing new really.

LaRae

Who's footing the bill, Meghan? Duchess of Sussex spends huge £155,000 on 15 new outfits since the Royal Wedding

In 15 outings since the wedding, Meghan has debuted 15 brand new looks
Gone are the M&S jumpers and the little-known, affordable brands she favoured
These days, Meghan's wardrobe contains only the best clothes from the world's top design houses: Dior, Givenchy, Prada and Chanel, to name a few
Meghan spends huge £155,000 on 15*new outfits since the Royal Wedding | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Exactly!

The Prince of Wales is footing the bill.

We saw the same thing happen with Catherine when she joined the BRF and now Meghan.

Perhaps Catherine didn't spend as much on haute couture but really, Meghan was already a working actress so who knows what her wardrobe was like before she married Harry. If its from the 2018/2019 lines, you can say that most likely it was purchased with Cornwall money other than that....who knows?

That's over 10.000 pounds per outfit!?!?!

Dior, Prada, Givenchy. Chanel. It add ups fast. Another reason I wish she was wearing more British and Commonwealth designers.

There also could have been purchases made that she's not worn yet. ;)

I don't know where they come up with the figures from but if they're going by the actual cost retail from the designer, that may not actually reflect the amount charged. We don't have information into just how much is spent on personal items for the most part.

Who's footing the bill, Meghan? Duchess of Sussex spends huge £155,000 on 15 new outfits since the Royal Wedding

In 15 outings since the wedding, Meghan has debuted 15 brand new looks
Gone are the M&S jumpers and the little-known, affordable brands she favoured
These days, Meghan's wardrobe contains only the best clothes from the world's top design houses: Dior, Givenchy, Prada and Chanel, to name a few
Meghan spends huge £155,000 on 15*new outfits since the Royal Wedding | Daily Mail Online

Harry is funded by his father, who gets his income in turn from the Duchy of Cornwall.

I will admit its not good optics (the $$) but since her duties have changed, I already assumed that her wardrobe would have to change. It happened with Catherine, Maxima, Mary, etc. Hopefully, she will some Commonwealth designers who won't cost as much.

As we discussed this issue earlier with Catherine, this is a working and growing closet. One assumes that while she is spending a pretty penny for some of these outfits, they will see the light of day more than one time.

I don't believe that Meghan is paying full price for anything she has worn since her wedding, and that includes her wedding gown. Designers never release the price of their garments, hats etc and the DF is both exaggerating (putting in gifts of jewellery etc into the estimates) and making wild guesses as to prices.

I also think Meghan has borrowed some clothing, which probably accounts for some of the criticisms over them not fitting properly. She has worn Commonwealth designers. One of the posters posted a long list in the clothing thread, and Meghan will undoubtedly continue on that path.

One of the problems with the DM article is they are including things that are thought to be gifts. They estimate the pearl and diamond earrings that were supposed to be a gift from QEII in the total of the outfit for Chester. If those were a gift, Meghan didn't spend the money. She wore her wedding earrings for another event and they are counting the price again even though they say it is believed that Harry gave them to her before the wedding. Again, if they were a gift Meghan didn't spend the money. Even if she had bought the earrings, counting the full price on something she has already worn is misleading. Its not likely that she went out and bought a second pair of her wedding earrings just to wear them again. It's not like the earrings are a pair of pantyhose that might not survive the first wearing. This is nothing new with the DM. They do the same thing with Kate.

It’s why you have a newspaper like The Telegraph asking was it wise for Meghan to wear Dior to the RAF100 event.

People say it doesn’t matter but it does. When you spend the amount of money Meghan does on clothes, at least go British as often as possible especially during big public events.

one year (£119K) or two months (£155K)
I see difference
By 2017, Kate was a royal for 6 yrs...the argument can be made as to why she needed to spend that amount of money after being a royal for that length of time....she had years to build a wardrobe and brought plenty of new clothing in that time.

Meghan has been a royal for 2 months and needs to start from scratch!

However, I can see the point about using more British and Commonwealth designers which she did use in her engagement period.

Last edited:
I don't believe that Meghan is paying full price for anything she has worn since her wedding, and that includes her wedding gown. Designers never release the price of their garments, hats etc and the DF is both exaggerating (putting in gifts of jewellery etc into the estimates) and making wild guesses as to prices.

I also think Meghan has borrowed some clothing, which probably accounts for some of the criticisms over them not fitting properly. She has worn Commonwealth designers. One of the posters posted a long list in the clothing thread, and Meghan will undoubtedly continue on that path.

I have to agree. :flowers: First thing I thought when I saw the discussion. It's actually unlikely that Meghan is paying full price, or any price at all. 'Past is prelude': Meghan has never demonstrated excess in clothes.

The ONE dress that garnered the most publicity was the gown worn for her official engagement but that was a private purchase. Her clothing as a working actress was obviously in a completely different league to the clothing g that she has to wear now.

The ONE dress that garnered the most publicity was the gown worn for her official engagement but that was a private purchase. Her clothing as a working actress was obviously in a completely different league to the clothing that she has to wear now.

What she wore 'as an actress' (when in presentation mode) would have also been on loan or from a closet somewhere. :flowers: What Meghan wore as a private person was never pricey. She has never struck me as anyone who over spends on clothing.

I see difference

And 119k was apparently her priciest year to date; so Meghan is going far above and beyond Catherine. Of course, it makes a difference that she has more events in comparison to Catherine when she was just married - but her average price tag for each activity is about the price of Catherine's most costly outfits. My educated guess is that Catherine's average is about a tenth of Meghan's average.

I don't really understand the 'she needs to build up a wardrobe' as royal ladies reuse previously worn items to a very limited extend. And the more specific a certain outfit is, the less likely they are to reuse it (often).

What she wore 'as an actress' (when in presentation mode) would have also been on loan or from a closet somewhere. :flowers: What Meghan wore as a private person was never pricey. She has never struck me as anyone who over spends on clothing.

This makes sense. When she was filming for Suits or doing anything that in any way promoted the program, she would have had access to the set costuming personnel and also most likely they provided the clothing she wore for public appearances. For example, right now most likely. Rachel Zane's wedding dress is sitting in a wardrobe department somewhere. I bet they could make a mint for a charity by auctioning it off. :D

We have to remember too that this is a *tabloid* reporting and they're not usually known for credible reporting on facts. ;)

I am curious why you would think that a woman who recently marries into a royal family wouldn't need to build up her Royal wardrobe?

Let's take for example, the two most recent additions (Catherine and Meghan) who are/will be expected to perform royal engagements. Prior to their marriages, their most recent work experience saw them as an working actress and working for her family business. In what way would the clothes for their previous jobs be suitable for their new roles? Meghan's wardrobe for Suits was provided to her, to fit her character. Like many, one would assume that she had her own personal clothes but again, even with her most expensive evening gowns...I suspect would not go with a tiara. I can believe that she already owned her black suit that she wore in Ireland but even if she went to Church every Sunday for a year in her pre Harry life, would you expect her to wear her Sunday best attire to Prince Louis christening?

Catherine worked in a family business? Do you really think she was dressing up every day to go into the office? Again, what would she have worn to work for her family business would be acceptable for her royal engagements?

Building a royal wardrobe is like an investment for future engagements. The Daily Mail is reporting that Catherine wore this one specific white coat several times....that's an investment for future engagements. Princess Anne wears clothes that are over 20 years old!

I, for one, am hoping that as soon as Meghan settles in to royal life....she will merge high fashion with every day pieces and I expect we shall see some repeats.

Last edited:
But Anne has never been noted for dressing well.. and from what I've seen Meghan in, she's nto gong to be noticed for dressing well either.

But Anne has never been noted for dressing well.. and from what I've seen Meghan in, she's nto gong to be noticed for dressing well either.

But my point is that Anne does repeats because she has a solid royal wardrobe. Camilla does repeats, Kate does repeats, Catherine does repeats. You don't see them wearing the items they wear for their royal engagements when they are out and enjoying personal time. Of course, we don't see all of them out and about. Items that we see Catherine wear at the polo match or grocery shopping...you will not see when she opens a new hospital wing.

Perception becomes reality. Regardless of the exact amount Meghan spends, she’s perceived as a big spender giving her patronage to French fashion houses.

This is unfortunately true and I imagine Meghan gets this. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see her wear more affordable brands and more Commonwealth designers in her upcoming engagements.

I will admit its not good optics (the $$) but since her duties have changed, I already assumed that her wardrobe would have to change. It happened with Catherine, Maxima, Mary, etc. Hopefully, she will some Commonwealth designers who won't cost as much.

As we discussed this issue earlier with Catherine, this is a working and growing closet. One assumes that while she is spending a pretty penny for some of these outfits, they will see the light of day more than one time.

I agree with all of this.

Meghan is stepping into a brand new role and that means she's going to have to update her wardrobe. And while I do think she needs to be mindful of what she's spending, I don't have a problem with her buying some key designer pieces to start off. I felt the same way about Kate - I never had a problem with her spending money to build up her wardrobe. Now in year or so if Meghan is still spending this type of money, then I'll have a different opinion. But for now, I'm giving her a pass.

But my point is that Anne does repeats because she has a solid royal wardrobe. Camilla does repeats, Kate does repeats, Catherine does repeats. You don't see them wearing the items they wear for their royal engagements when they are out and enjoying personal time. Of course, we don't see all of them out and about. Items that we see Catherine wear at the polo match or grocery shopping...you will not see when she opens a new hospital wing.

True. I just meant that Meg's clothes, which are probably very expensive, just don't look anyting special. Obviuosly she will need to build up a wardrobe, but she should be buying British or Commonwealth...

Its very possible that right now, Meghan is planning her winter wardrobe and it will include a lot of British wool. I think Charles would remind her of that. ;)

What I find the most frustrating about this situation is that it shows a regression. Before the wedding she wore a good mix of high street and expensive brands, British and Common wealth designers, she would wear local brands connected to the areas she visited.

Since the wedding we've mostly got mostly bespoke couture pieces that are from primarily French designers.She made sure to wear an Irish designer when she went on a regional tour to Northern Ireland but not a single piece by an Irish designer for her first official overseas tour to Ireland?

It's been really disappointing to see how much thought and consideration was put into her wardrobe before tossed aside and her fashion choice change so quickly and dramatically into a negative direction.

Last edited:
I just don’t get why she doesn’t want to promote British fashion? France doesn’t need to be promoted. It’s the #1 Fashion country in the world!

Dior, Prada, Givenchy. Chanel. It add ups fast. Another reason I wish she was wearing more British and Commonwealth designers.

I see difference

It’s why you have a newspaper like The Telegraph asking was it wise for Meghan to wear Dior to the RAF100 event.

People say it doesn’t matter but it does. When you spend the amount of money Meghan does on clothes, at least go British as often as possible especially during big public events.

What I find the most frustrating about this situation is that it shows a regression. Before the wedding she wore a good mix of high street and expensive brands, British and Common wealth designers, she would wear local brands connected to the areas she visited.

Since the wedding we've mostly got mostly bespoke couture pieces that are from primarily French designers.She made sure to wear an Irish designer when she went on a regional tour to Northern Ireland but not a single piece by an Irish designer for her first official overseas tour to Ireland?

It's been really disappointing to see how much thought and consideration was put into her wardrobe before tossed aside and her fashion choice change so quickly and dramatically into a negative direction.

IMO, there are two questions here. First is the issue on the overall cost of the items of clothing and accessories used so far. And the second issue is whether they are British brands or not.

As regards these issues here are my thoughts:

> There is certainly an "investment" phase in the creation of a royal wardrobe, so I accept that the sums in the initial year can be higher than in subsequent years. Personally, I feel a lot of this "investment" is in learning what works ans what does not, as not a lot of things get repeated very much.

> That said, using on the numbers in the DM article, in 2 months, Meghan's spend is at 1.5x Catherine's in a whole year. That just seems really, really high.

> As regards wearing international couture vs British brands, I have made my thoughts very clear in the Duchess of Sussex Daytime fashion threads. I think international brands, by exception, are okay, whereas as a rule, British brands should be worn on public engagements. This has caused an awful lot of the largely American fan club of the new Duchess to get upset, aggressive and obnoxious in their comments, especially when I suggested that the Press and public opinion would turn. If the current crop of articles is an example, some of this is already starting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom