The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Majesty

I think the main senior royals are worth the cost. The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Henry. Those are the only royals I think should be the main royals working. It economically make sense. I think the "Firm" is too big and most of their work goes unnoticed publicly.

The Queen & Prince of Wales are the main royals that uses the Royal Train. I don't know how expensive that it though.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Except we only have 4 out of 7 of those "main royals" working. That's why we need Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie. I don't get the junior royals money spending thing, the only people on the Civil List are The Queen and DOE.

I think iluvbertie can explain this better, because i'm pretty sure any money anyone on the civil list does get is paid back.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree Lumutqueen, we need Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie to keep up the workload as Wills, Catherine and Harry don't do "full time Royal work". If those 4 did not work, the other Royals could not keep up. The Queen and Philip are way past retirement age and Charles and Camilla aren't necessarily spring chickens. When the Queen and Philip die that will be two less working Royals, which in turn will leave a great many charities without Royals. I am of the mind set that we need Charles' siblings and Sophie to carry out engagements to keep the Royal family name alive, whether Charles likes the idea or not.

I don't understand the Civil list that well to be honest.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Courtier

The Civil List no longer exists its been replaced by the Sovereign Grant.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
The Civil List no longer exists its been replaced by the Sovereign Grant.
Same principles though, still only two people that recieve money.

Quick glance The Sovereign Grant Act 2011 repeals certain provisions from the Civil List Acts of 1952 & 1972.

Provisions from 1952;
1. Provisions for Her Majesty's Younger Children (everyone but Charles)
2. Provisions for the widow of The Duke of Cornwall

Provisions from 1972;
1. Provisions for certain other widows, "In the event of a son of Her present Majesty, other than the Duke of Cornwall for the time being, dying leaving a widow, there shall be paid to her during her life the yearly sum of £20,000."
2. Supplementary Provisions, which was payment to Royal Trustees.
3. Power by order to increase financial provision made by this Act.

Civil List Act 1975 was also repealed.

Simply, everything The Queen needs to spend money on should come out of this Grant on a yearly basis. Can't actually find any mention of money going to other members of the RF, it does mention The Duke of Cornwall like previous Civil Lists did.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Majesty

Very true that we need Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie but I think it's one of the main reasons why William & Catherine and Harry need to step up to the plate and become fulltime working royals. No doubt, Anne, Andrew, Edward & Sophie will continue to support their charities and organizations they have been involved with for years. I just think the principle royals should be the main ones seen as the working "Firm."

I think the junior royals that perform official engagements on behalf of The Queen is The Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra, The Duke of Gloucester and Duchess of Gloucester.

Financial arrangements of members of the Royal Family:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHous...yalFamily.aspx

"The first Annual Report covering the new arrangements under the Sovereign Grant will be for the year to 31 March 2013 and will be published in June 2013".

The Sovereign Grant:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHous...eignGrant.aspx
Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 AM
Courtier

I wonder when the results of the probe (or investigation if you like) will be available to the public?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
I wonder when the results of the probe (or investigation if you like) will be available to the public?
Probably in the same way most royal finances issues are discussed in some kind of massive expose on the "richest family" in the UK. How they're being given too much and people are starving in the world etc etc. I'm not making light of the starving issue, just the way royal money news is always protrayed.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Probably in the same way most royal finances issues are discussed in some kind of massive expose on the "richest family" in the UK. How they're being given too much and people are starving in the world etc etc. I'm not making light of the starving issue, just the way royal money news is always protrayed.
Is this a political stunt then, not a real investigation? That being the case, I expect they will make little changes and enough so that Royalists and Republicans alike will be appeased in some way. How boring and what a waste of public money!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Courtier

Basically the Sovereign Grant means the funding will be treated like a Government department and this is the first review.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

This is a public investigation - it is being done by a HoC Committee. Nothing private about it.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is a public investigation - it is being done by a HoC Committee. Nothing private about it.
As I said this is being done for the new Sovereign Grant.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
As I said this is being done for the new Sovereign Grant.
I was responding to the posts that asked whether it would be public - and it will be. And I think, from knowing the Chair of the Committee, it won't just be about the Sovereign Grant. These are normally televised so it will be an opportunity to see those who work for the BRF

Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Courtier

It does relate to it because under the new law the finances are having the same scrutiny as a Government Department.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

What I'm not sure about is the timing - the end of year accounts will be published in June 2013 for the 1st year of the new system so will they wait until the audited figures are published? Any idea?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Majesty

The real value of the royal family: Queen's accounts to be audited:
The real value of the royal family: Queen's accounts to be audited | UK | News | Daily Express
Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 AM
Courtier

I don't suppose anyone will be able to provide us with links to the televised sessions, if they are available on the internet?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
I don't suppose anyone will be able to provide us with links to the televised sessions, if they are available on the internet?
What televised sessions? I doubt this is going to be a televised discussion.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
What televised sessions? I doubt this is going to be a televised discussion.
This is a House of Commons Select Committee and their sessions are recorded. All proceedings held in public can be viewed on Parliament TV

Parliament Live TV » home

I would be amazed if this was not held in public. The only aspect which might be closed is if the Members of the Committee wish to discuss in detail the security requirements

I also believe that the BBC transmit these sessions as well but more ad hoc, depending on level of interest, such asthe one investigating Members expenses

Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Courtier

Thank you Cepe!!

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances