Royal Wealth and Finances 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder when the results of the probe (or investigation if you like) will be available to the public?

Probably in the same way most royal finances issues are discussed in some kind of massive expose on the "richest family" in the UK. How they're being given too much and people are starving in the world etc etc. I'm not making light of the starving issue, just the way royal money news is always protrayed.

Probably in the same way most royal finances issues are discussed in some kind of massive expose on the "richest family" in the UK. How they're being given too much and people are starving in the world etc etc. I'm not making light of the starving issue, just the way royal money news is always protrayed.

Is this a political stunt then, not a real investigation? That being the case, I expect they will make little changes and enough so that Royalists and Republicans alike will be appeased in some way. How boring and what a waste of public money!

Basically the Sovereign Grant means the funding will be treated like a Government department and this is the first review. :flowers:

This is a public investigation - it is being done by a HoC Committee. Nothing private about it.

As I said this is being done for the new Sovereign Grant.

I was responding to the posts that asked whether it would be public - and it will be. And I think, from knowing the Chair of the Committee, it won't just be about the Sovereign Grant. These are normally televised so it will be an opportunity to see those who work for the BRF

:previous:
It does relate to it because under the new law the finances are having the same scrutiny as a Government Department. :)

What I'm not sure about is the timing - the end of year accounts will be published in June 2013 for the 1st year of the new system so will they wait until the audited figures are published? Any idea?

I don't suppose anyone will be able to provide us with links to the televised sessions, if they are available on the internet?

I don't suppose anyone will be able to provide us with links to the televised sessions, if they are available on the internet?

What televised sessions? I doubt this is going to be a televised discussion.

What televised sessions? I doubt this is going to be a televised discussion.

This is a House of Commons Select Committee and their sessions are recorded. All proceedings held in public can be viewed on Parliament TV

Parliament Live TV » home

I would be amazed if this was not held in public. The only aspect which might be closed is if the Members of the Committee wish to discuss in detail the security requirements

I also believe that the BBC transmit these sessions as well but more ad hoc, depending on level of interest, such asthe one investigating Members expenses

Queen receives 16pc increase in funding - Telegraph

Queen receives 16pc increase in funding

The Queen has received a “pay rise” of 16 per cent after London’s flourishing prime property market and wind farm developments drove the Crown Estate to record profits

About time too! I hope they use the extra to get on top of all the work that needs doing at BP and Windsor.

As this is to fund the running costs of the Head of State as well as the maintenance I doubt that there will be much more spent no maintenance than there has been in the past.

Given how much there is to do the couple of million extra wouldn't do much anyway - it was 30 million backlog about 5 years ago.

I would prefer to see the palace staff get a pay rise - they haven't had one for about three years.

Comparing royal wealth

I wonder how the wealth of the various royal families compare to each other. Since Sweden, Norway, Denmark etc. are all small nations, does the wealth of the royal families there pale in comparison to the royals in England? In watching the weddings of several, they definitely seem much smaller by comparison and I wonder if it is due to less foreign influence or is it due to less money to spend on the wedding? I know the Spanish royal family has been criticized for living lavishly as their country has experienced financial crisis. Are other monarchies more stable financially?

^ I find the accusation of the SRF being lavish a bit ridiculous. From what I've heard, the spend the least in all European royal families and we barely see the ladies wearing new jewels or fancy designer clothes.

But I've also read that they have great personal wealth?

I wonder how the wealth of the various royal families compare to each other. Since Sweden, Norway, Denmark etc. are all small nations, does the wealth of the royal families there pale in comparison to the royals in England? In watching the weddings of several, they definitely seem much smaller by comparison and I wonder if it is due to less foreign influence or is it due to less money to spend on the wedding? I know the Spanish royal family has been criticized for living lavishly as their country has experienced financial crisis. Are other monarchies more stable financially?

Here is a list of the 15 Richest Royals in the World: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_richest_royals

Some European Families are on the list but some are not.

Here is a different list. This list has the Richest heads of States in the World: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heads_of_state_and_government_by_net_worth

Some European Families that are not on the first list (Richest Royals ) are on the second list (Heads of state)

Sweden and Spain are two of the poorest Royals families

Last edited:
I don't know how accurate this website is, but here is a list of Rich royals.

Rich Royals

I don't understand how Anne, Andrew and Edward don't have the same net worth...? How do they all acquire different net worths?

Different inheritances from grandparents and great grandparents, different private earnings etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the differences between most of the royals but how come William is $19m and Harry $42m?

I understand the differences between most of the royals but how come William is $19m and Harry $42m?

I think the $42m is a mistake. If you click on Harry this comes up:

Investment income and other inheritance make his net worth at £28 million according to the May 2011 Sunday Times’ UK Young Millionaires.Prince William and Prince Harry, joint 11th with individual fortunes of £28m in the category for those aged 30 and under.

Still more than William - I think the whole article needs a ton of salt! ;)

Not well researched. They showed Andrea as Pierre. I saw a different article yesterday that said Charlotte was worth 5.7 billion! I wonder if that includes her island lol.

Last edited:
I didn't think it was an accurate piece of evidence, but it is interesting to read and see how wrong they actually are.

Harry was reported to have received a larger inheritance from the Queen mother (since he probably won't ever be the Duke of Cornwall or monarch), although I don't know if it was that much larger.

I am sure adjustments are made for those that are not in direct line to become monarch to assure some amount of financial security. I am sure the same will occur with QE2's other children and grandchildren besides PC & PW. Seems logical. QE's personal jewels that were not inherited for use by the monarch will probable work the same way. That's how the cousins of QE got their family jewels.

Harry received a large trust fund from Diana's father, the Earl Spencer. I believe Diana agreed to relinquish a substantial share of her father's estate to ensure this.

The Queen Mother's great-grandchildren received an income from a trust while she was still living. After her death, this trust terminated and the remaining principal was distributed to her grandchildren, minus Charles, in equal shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom