Royal Variety Performance - All Years

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its painful watching and that is apparently a highly edited version, there is a lot of waiting round 4 performers, staging etc in the real live event. No wonder HM and Philip handed it over to other members of the RF.

Its painful watching and that is apparently a highly edited version, there is a lot of waiting round 4 performers, staging etc in the real live event. No wonder HM and Philip handed it over to other members of the RF.
Really? That is a shame because I do always enjoy watching the some parts of the event, depending on which comedian. Who doesn't like a good roast? I still watch Jack Whitehall's roast of Harry every now and then haha.

Really? That is a shame because I do always enjoy watching the some parts of the event, depending on which comedian. Who doesn't like a good roast? I still watch Jack Whitehall's roast of Harry every now and then haha.

I have to say, I've never watched before or cared enough to find out what they did. But roast?!?!?! I'm so there!:lol:

I actually like this...it has an elegant look to it, especially on the move. No hiding her pregnancy now. Hope the show is good!

LaRae

Shall we move on folks?

Really excited to see this RVP, line up looks pretty good and I will always watch Cirque De Solei, not 100% on the host Greg Davies can be a bit un funny with his comedy.

Please note that some posts have been deleted as they add nothing to the discussion at hand.

Meghan looks very glowing! Interesting that it's just her and Harry attending the Royal Variety this year.

With the Royal Variety Show I believe it always is just one Royal couple at a time. I think Meghan looks very elegant. Wonder whether they will enjoy the show, which is sometimes pretty excruciating, and whether Meghan will get some of the British jokes!

Last edited:
Meghan looks very glowing! Interesting that it's just her and Harry attending the Royal Variety this year.

This show in not really famous for the quality of its programming. I bet HM then Charles and Camilla are more than happy to give it a pass...

With the Royal Variety Show I believe it always is just one Royal couple at a time, I believe. I think Meghan looks very elegant. Wonder whether they will enjoy the show, which is sometimes pretty excruciating, and whether Meghan will get some of the British jokes!

Ah, that would explain it - I've been reading through the older pages of this thread at previous variety shows and it would seem like that's the case. I'm not familiar with how the show works in regards to royal attendance so that would make sense.

I saw a clip of the PoW and DoC when they were there and Michael McIntyre was doing his routine...it was really good and they were laughing quite a bit!

LaRae

This video has excellent views of Harry & Meghan exiting the vehicle, entering the venue, going through the receiving line, and entering the theater's royal box. Meghan got out of the car and accepted flowers from someone in the crowd, which was unplanned, and probably unexpected by the security team...

Last edited:
Royals rotate their attendance at the event, I don’t believe Henry has attended on his own before so to say it was “his year” to attend is quite slim. They’ve obviously decided to be put into the rotation now he’s married, certainly don’t think William attended before he was married.

I really don’t see what’s bad about the RVP, it’s a great event to raise money for charity.

Thanks! So even then it wasn’t his turn it’s at least a 4 year cycle if you include Anne, and if you include The Queen it’s 5.

Thanks! So even then it wasn’t his turn it’s at least a 4 year cycle if you include Anne, and if you include The Queen it’s 5.

2013 Charles and Camilla
2014 Cambridges
2015 Harry
2016 Charles and Camilla
2017 Cambridges

When I think of the Royal Variety Performance, it makes me think back and how many times in old movies and shows that I've seen people billed as "performing for the crowned heads of Europe". The RVP, as we know it today, used to be the Royal Command Performance and dates back to the time of Queen Victoria where the "best of the best" would be commanded to perform for the Queen (or King and Queen). It was "the" feather in one's cap to perform and those that attended wore their very best glad rags and jewels.

So actually its tradition that states that there be British royals at this performance. Gone are the days of it being "commanded" and the jewels remain in their vault but its still a grand honor to be asked to perform for this show.

:previous: Thanks for providing a bit of the history of this traditional event, dating all the way back to Queen Victoria. Of course, even Queen Elizabeth I was known for her love of hosting plays and entertainments at court.

:previous: Makes me realize just how far we've come. It used to be that if you were invited to attend a royal performance, it was something special and for the performer, one that boosted his/her reputation as one to see. Now when there's a performance, we wonder how soon we can stream it, view it on YouTube or order the DVD and view it wearing our blue, fuzzy slippers sipping coffee and eating donuts. :D

From 1848 to around 1912 though, and intermittently after the Prince Consort's death in Victoria's reign, the Performances tended to be well known actors of the time performing successful West End plays. Besides Shakespeare plays, Gilbert and Sullivan operas and later some revues and musical comedies were popular with the royals

. It wasn't until 1912 that there was a Variety show, with music hall artists performing before King George and Queen Mary, and regular annual variety shows before royalty weren't established until after World War One.

REMINDER- In the Presence of TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex-
The Royal Variety Performance comes on tonight at 7:30pm on ITV. I’ll be watching.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom