Royal Transportation (land, sea, air)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Isn't the train pretty practical?

Instead of driving for hours in a minor cortege, or flying, they can spend a few hours on the tracks. Including security and staff.
They can move around, have meetings, work, read on their homework, eat and even getting some sleep. - With no inconvenience to other passengers.
In my eyes, it would be a bad idea to scrap the train. In fact they ought perhaps use it even more.

The Queen’s new State Coach Britannia set to enter royal service-
The Queen

Thank goodness the State Coach Britannia has made it's way to Buckingham Palace and will be put to use. I was wondering what will happen to the beautifully made carriage.

Last edited:
The Queen’s new State Coach Britannia set to enter royal service-
The Queen

Thank goodness the State Coach Britannia has made it's way to Buckingham Palace and will be put to use. I was wondering what will happen to the beautifully made carriage.

I am hoping to see it in action for the state opening of parliament in June ( I think )

:previous:
How useful would it of been for the Cambridges tour of Australia and New Zealand. Could of had a longer tour and see more of Australia and New Zealand.

Shame they never built another one despite all the jobs it would of created. :whistling:

:previous:
How useful would it of been for the Cambridges tour of Australia and New Zealand. Could of had a longer tour and see more of Australia and New Zealand.

Shame they never built another one despite all the jobs it would of created. :whistling:

Makes me feel sad that some of the things that were so wonderful about royalty and royal tours are now relegated to the past and the history books.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/03/07/article-2575866-1C1B1D8C00000578-800_634x408.jpg I have a question about Prince Michael's car. Is it his private care or a Royal Household one? What about it's registration plate? IMO it's unusual, but maybe it's not - I'm not from the UK ;). Is it some kind of a special plate reserved for Royals or cars used by the Royal Household? For example, in Denmark there are special plates for royals, even for their private cars. Even former members of the Royal House, like Hereditary Prince Knud's sons are/were "entitled to" them.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/03/07/article-2575866-1C1B1D8C00000578-800_634x408.jpg I have a question about Prince Michael's car. Is it his private care or a Royal Household one? What about it's registration plate? IMO it's unusual, but maybe it's not - I'm not from the UK ;). Is it some kind of a special plate reserved for Royals or cars used by the Royal Household? For example, in Denmark there are special plates for royals, even for their private cars. Even former members of the Royal House, like Hereditary Prince Knud's sons are/were "entitled to" them.

I think this may be Prince Michael's own car because the numberplate is an old, dateless one and I believe he collects number plates. Dateless number plates started off in 1904 and by the 1960s they had run out of numbers and the new system of numbering came into effect. According to my research, the lower the number on the plate, the more expensive it is.

I think this may be Prince Michael's own car because the numberplate is an old, dateless one and I believe he collects number plates. Dateless number plates started off in 1904 and by the 1960s they had run out of numbers and the new system of numbering came into effect. According to my research, the lower the number on the plate, the more expensive it is.

I agree, it is probably Michael's private car. The number plate is an ol registration that any one can buy - there is a secondary market in them, and many websites advertise them.

Members of the BRF do not have any special numbers plates other than HM, who does not have a registration number her state Bentleys. Her other cars, including the Bentley Mulsanne and RRovers she uses, are registered as normal cars would be.

Looks like a personalised number plate to me.

If it is a retro plate what is the Euro strip doing there? What about the symbols on both sides of the numbers? Maybe it is some royal sign, a monogram? I can't see it well.
Danske nummerplader - Kongehusets nummerplader Here is the list of the plates of the Danish Royal House, including those used by such remote royals like the brothers of Princess Elisabeth.
The plates look like that one - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Danmark_Royal_licenseplate.JPG
I;ve recently seen a photo of Count Ingolf's car with such royal plate, it was at the funeral of his brother's. I can't find it now ;)

Last edited:
If it is a retro plate what is the Euro strip doing there? What about the symbols on both sides of the numbers? Maybe it is some royal sign, a monogram? I can't see it well.....quote /]

THE number plate itself is obviously a new one and complies with the standard British design for a rear numberplate, which includes the EU symbol badge with the letters GB (Great Britain) below it.

So, it is the number that is old rather than the number plate and the number itself has been used on a previous car, a Rolls-Royce Phantom VI. Prince Michael presumably decided not to use the Rolls any more and had the number registered instead to the newer car.

In the UK, if you buy a car with a standard registration number and later decide to buy a personalised one (say, KBK 123) then you would have to register the new number with the car at the DVLA (Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency).

Going back to Prince Michael's car, the symbols on the left of the black lettering could be the car-maker's logo and the symbol on the right looks like the English flag of St George. Neither of these two symbols are standard on rear-number plates.

Last edited by a moderator:
He probably owns the registration personally and can then put it on any kind of plate he wants (within reason). He can have one made with the EU flags :)yuk:), or one without. As long as it adheres to certain guidelines, it's up to the owner of the number what sort of plate he wants - it can be in different fonts, different size of lettering, manufacturers logos can even be put on them.

He seems to have some sort of heraldic symbol on it, from what I can see.

Video:
The Queen will travel to the state opening of Parliament in a living time capsule, a new state coach celebrating hundreds of years of the nation's history. Fragments of Henry VIII's warship the Mary Rose, Sir Issac Newton's apple tree and the stone of destiny are just some of the priceless artefacts incorporated into the bodywork of the carriage being used by the monarch for the first time, As creator Jim Frecklington explains….
Home - ITNSource News

It's a truly stunning work of art. It also incorporates many diamonds, sapphires etc.

It seems likely to be much more comfortable for the occupants than the older carriages. It also appears to have been designed in such a way as to be much easier to both see the Queen inside it and also for the Queen to see the other way.

I think it'll be a very long time before we see another coach added to the Queen's collection, if ever.

What delights me that most I think about the carriage is that it has become a part of living history and will continue to be used for many, many years to come. So fitting for family that embodies the history and traditions of a realm. :flowers:

:previous: this headline has just caused huge outrage on twitter because it is so misleading.

This is the lead up to the report next week on Royal Finances. Tin hats and flak jackets at the ready!

:previous: this headline has just caused huge outrage on twitter because it is so misleading.

This is the lead up to the report next week on Royal Finances. Tin hats and flak jackets at the ready!

I don't think it's just the headline that's misleading. ??

It's already started take a look at the Daily Mail. :whistling:

It was a Royal Variety Performance with a difference: the night the Queen, and Prince Philip were joined on stage by Princess Anne in a grass skirt – and brought the house down.
The sketch came during one of the uproarious, and occasionally bawdy, cabaret shows that were a regular part of life on board the Royal Yacht Britannia. Leading entertainers such as Noel Coward and Bob Hope would perform for blue-blooded audiences on the Verandah Deck – but on the night the senior Royals stepped into the spotlight themselves, they won louder cheers than the biggest stars.
Displaying an unexpected flair for comic timing, the Queen, her husband and daughter performed an hilarious, self-mocking parody of a Royal walkabout on a South Sea Island.

An intriguing glimpse of life on the Royal Yacht  | Daily Mail Online

:previous: It was very interesting to read, and quite enjoyable too... Thank you for this article HereditaryPrincess. To be honest, I wouldn't have expected such a great amount of irony from the royal family itself.:flowers:;)

I remain disappointed that Charles and Camilla, when not using the Bentley Mulsanne, use Audi's. I would have liked to see them support local British manufacturers and use Jaguar's instead.

Second item down is more on Charles travelling at taxpayer expense, which I do think he could be more careful about.

Exit Lindka Cierach who dared to clash with Carole Middleton says SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE | Daily Mail Online

The use of the Royal helicopter has to be approved by the Queen. So when the media are busy complaining about her sons they might consider that.

They might also consider why the use was approved. I have no idea whether Charles had other engagements that day or the previous day that made it impractical to travel any other way. The grievance might be valid but the article doesn't do much in the way of putting the complaint into context. When the Queen travels to Sandringham by train, it is usually at the beginning of a prolonged holiday - time is not usually of the essence.

First of all, I don't believe that Charles (or any of the Queen's other relatives) ring her up to get her permission for each specific trip that is made.

Second, this trip came on top of another made to attend a polo match on a day when Charles had no other engagements. In my view it's both extravagant to use this method of transport just because it is more convenient to do so, and it is also surprising, in light of Charles's well known opinions on the environment.

Four helicopter flights for Charles to watch polo says SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE | Daily Mail Online

I do think people should be aware that the CC lists official engagements only but they royals often do other things such as the planning for those official engagements which include meetings about those events e.g. an engagement where the royal is to visit a hospital and meet some staff and/or patients would involve meetings with their own staff to discuss exactly the procedure for the day, time to read through notes about what the visit is about and who they will meet, any information needed about special security arrangements and many other things even including sessions with those who make their clothes that would include appointments so just because there is nothing listed in the CC doesn't mean that was nothing planned for the rest of the day.

Back
Top Bottom