Royal Transportation (land, sea, air)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would be quite an expensive "boost" if you ask me. I also think that if this is done while the Queen is still living, it would be kind of like a slap in the face to her. She loved that ship and had it put into dry dock from under her. To have it brought back to life at this stage in the game would really have to hurt I think.

Yeps Duc. Its that kind of reality that would make the powers that be that want this great, big, newly refitted ship to the tune of many, many, many green dollars (or pounds) think "Just look at us in our big boat! We are so financially stable and can waste lots of money on these things and have the best of everything. You can be just like us! Come and trade with the UK and bring us your money so we can buy three more Lear jets! "

Yeps. That would work for sure. Of course in that alternate reality, their elephants are purple with pink polka dots.

It's been nearly 20 years since Britannia sailed with the Royal family on behalf of the U.K. I think people have forgotten about what a great asset the yacht was and the big roles it played. It wasn't insignificant. Also, there's a new generation that don't even know what we're talking about.

Last edited:
It may have been a real asset in its prime and its time but in the economic environment we're in now, the price tag to make the Brittania sea worthy once more would far outweigh the possible benefits that could come from it.

Then again, if it could be declared as part and parcel of British history such as some palaces are, it might be feasible. I would think that first and foremost, the money to repair and renovate Buckingham Palace would be the top priority.

Just my thoughts.

It may have been a real asset in its prime and its time but in the economic environment we're in now, the price tag to make the Brittania sea worthy once more would far outweigh the possible benefits that could come from it.

Then again, if it could be declared as part and parcel of British history such as some palaces are, it might be feasible. I would think that first and foremost, the money to repair and renovate Buckingham Palace would be the top priority.

Just my thoughts.

I think the benefits would be tremendous and with the very popular royal brand.

I think if a committee is put together on this, they can come up with a good plan for the yacht and benefits to come with it.

Rereading through the articles for and against putting Brittania out to sea, I didn't see anything anywhere that mentioned it would be the British Royal Family sailing on it.

I think its pretty obvious that HM, The Queen wouldn't take on long seafaring trips to various places and there's no mention anywhere (that I know of) if Charles and Camilla or W&K&H and kids would want to do something like this in the future even. This idea is solely for the use of the ship to enhance British trade and wining and dining foreign trade envoys to seal a deal. It might appeal to Andrew though as, from what I know of him, he likes the poshness and the status of using the Brittania would give him.

Brittania, as she is right now, is a huge tourist draw as she's docked outside of Edinburgh and with that, is already a land(sea) mark of British history.

Last edited:
Rereading through the articles for and against putting Brittania out to sea, I didn't see anything anywhere that mentioned it would be the British Royal Family sailing on it.

I think its pretty obvious that HM, The Queen wouldn't take on long seafaring trips to various places and there's no mention anywhere (that I know of) if Charles and Camilla or W&K&H and kids would want to do something like this in the future even. This idea is solely for the use of the ship to enhance British trade and wining and dining foreign trade envoys to seal a deal. It might appeal to Andrew though as, from what I know of him, he likes the poshness and the status of using the Brittania would give him.

Brittania, as she is right now, is a huge tourist draw as she's docked outside of Edinburgh and with that, is already a land(sea) mark of British history.

The Royal Yacht Britannia or any other royal yacht would not come about if it wasn't for the royal family to use to represent the U.K. The Queen may no longer take very long oversea trips, but the Prince of Wales and his family do. It would be for them to use to promote the UK, it's interests and goods. The royal family don't have much say in the matter, although Prince Philip has voiced his opinions of it all. He had plans for Britannia.

Dear fellow posters, it is almost 2017. The world trade is global. Internet banking, purchasing in China, selling in Argentina, swapping Rubles for Euros with one mouseclick. Are people really expecting that the likes of Airbus, Volkswagen Group, Royal Dutch Shell, Samsung Electronics, Gazprom, Microsoft or GDF Suez are fainting seeing Queen Elizabeth or King Charles III sailing on a yacht and hurry to the Britons with trade agreements and contracts?????

Come on.... Britannia symbolizing Britain's economic power? Almost all important British businesses and infrastructure are in foreign ownership. The British National Debt, factoring in all liabilities including state and public sector pensions, is close to 4.8 trillion Pounds to foreign creditors. That means a staggering 78,000 Pounds of debt for every person in the UK, babies included. And the debt is growing and growing, since the Chancellor has dropped his aim to bring back the annual Budget deficit because of Brexit... It is nice when the Britannia would be used again but please, spare that absurd argument that it would help trade agreements! Who invented that argument? Boris Johnson?

Last edited:
Yes. A lot of the articles stem from Boris Johnson. One thing I have noticed that Johnson says is that the Brittania would be used as a "floating embassy for GB". That would rule out it being used as a private royal yacht in my book.

Another factor we're really overlooking right now is with the state of affairs as far as terrorism and an off balanced wannabe nuclear power such as North Korea, a floating "embassy" the size of Brittania certainly could be looked at as a floating bull's eye. How wise would that be regardless of if a royal was on board or not?

Dear fellow posters, it is almost 2017. The world trade is global. Internet banking, purchasing in China, selling in Argentina, swapping Rubles for Euros with one mouseclick. Are people really expecting that the likes of Airbus, Volkswagen Group, Royal Dutch Shell, Samsung Electronics, Gazprom, Microsoft or GDF Suez are fainting seeing Queen Elizabeth or King Charles III sailing on a yacht and hurry to the Britons with trade agreements and contracts?????

Come on.... Brittania symbolizing Britain's economic power? Almost all important British businesses and infrastructure are in foreign ownership. The British National Debt, factoring in all liabilities including state and public sector pensions, is close to 4.8 trillion Pounds to foreign creditors. That means a staggering 78,000 Pounds of debt for every person in the UK, babies included. And the debt is growing and growing, since the Chancellor has dropped his aim to bring back the annual Budget deficit because of Brexit... It is nice when the Brittannia would be used again but please, spare that absurd argument that it would help trade agreements! Who invented that argument? Boris Johnson?

Again, don't underestimate the power of the royal yacht. It played a major and very significant part in global trade and diplomacy. The U.K. isn't in the best place with the act of Brexit. The Royal family and Britannia, or any other yacht, can strike a powerful punch on global trade and diplomatic relations together for the U.K.

Yes. A lot of the articles stem from Boris Johnson. One thing I have noticed that Johnson says is that the Brittania would be used as a "floating embassy for GB". That would rule out it being used as a private royal yacht in my book.

Another factor we're really overlooking right now is with the state of affairs as far as terrorism and an off balanced wannabe nuclear power such as North Korea, a floating "embassy" the size of Brittania certainly could be looked at as a floating bull's eye. How wise would that be regardless of if a royal was on board or not?

That was the big role for Britannia in the first place. Some senior royals was treated to its use for a honeymoon, but Britannia was used to work on behalf of the U.K. and Commonwealth.

I'm sure all the security worries will be taken care of. I thought about it too.

Last edited:
Again, don't underestimate the power of the royal yacht. It played a major and very significant part in global trade and diplomacy. The U.K. isn't in the best place with the act of Brexit. The Royal family and Britannia, or any other yacht, can strike a powerful punch on global trade and diplomatic relations together for the U.K.

That was the big role for Britannia in the first place. Some senior royals was treated to its use for a honeymoon, but Britannia was used to work on behalf of the U.K. and Commonwealth.

I'm sure all the security worries will be taken care of. I thought about it too.

I'm going to have to side with Duc on this one. Business is done instantaneously with EFTs going around the world in seconds and meetings are done in "real time" with global participation from all over via various ways such as Skype (have no idea what businesses use). Air travel makes face to face meetings with global interests done in a day and back home again for dinner.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it would be wonderful to have the Brittania at sea again but I do think its usefulness and importance is more relegated to the area of "its a nice touch" rather than being a jewel in the crown of British trade and economics that would be seen as innovative.

I'm going to have to side with Duc on this one. Business is done instantaneously with EFTs going around the world in seconds and meetings are done in "real time" with global participation from all over via various ways such as Skype (have no idea what businesses use). Air travel makes face to face meetings with global interests done in a day and back home again for dinner.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it would be wonderful to have the Brittania at sea again but I do think its usefulness and importance is more relegated to the area of "its a nice touch" rather than being a jewel in the crown of British trade and economics that would be seen as innovative.

One have to go back and understand the role this yacht played. This yacht was a working home for the royal family and used for major diplomatic and business purposes on behalf of the UK and Commonwealth.

I think it's easy now to think Britannia was just a nice shiny object, because it's been nearly 20 years the yacht was serving its purpose.

One have to go back and understand the role this yacht played. This yacht was a working home for the royal family and used for major diplomatic and business purposes on behalf of the UK and Commonwealth.

I think it's easy now to think Britannia was just a nice shiny object, because it's been nearly 20 years the yacht was serving its purpose.

People used to rely on the horse and buggy too once upon a time and that's the point I'm trying to put across. Brittania and other historic royal vessels certainly were prime factors in their day and in their time but to me, and is my personal opinion only, is that the use of the Brittania once again would serve as a wonderful thing and be totally "British" such as using the Gold State Carriage and the Diamond Jubilee Carriage on specific special occasions but as far as a practical investment and taking into considerations the underlying things that could happen, I just don't find it a wise use of money.

If the private donations that will fund this go into full swing, more power to them and full steam ahead and all hands on board and safe sailing. That's one thing I did notice throughout the articles. This will be a project that solely is done through private funding with no costs to the taxpayers at all.

People used to rely on the horse and buggy too once upon a time and that's the point I'm trying to put across. Brittania and other historic royal vessels certainly were prime factors in their day and in their time but to me, and is my personal opinion only, is that the use of the Brittania once again would serve as a wonderful thing and be totally "British" such as using the Gold State Carriage and the Diamond Jubilee Carriage on specific special occasions but as far as a practical investment and taking into considerations the underlying things that could happen, I just don't find it a wise use of money.

If the private donations that will fund this go into full swing, more power to them and full steam ahead and all hands on board and safe sailing. That's one thing I did notice throughout the articles. This will be a project that solely is done through private funding with no costs to the taxpayers at all.

I think the use of private funds to bring Britannia, or build a new yacht, is the best way to go.

Nowadays, when one say 'yacht', folks automatically think of celebrities in bikinis and sipping on Ciroc. Britannia was totally above that and a new yacht would be lifetimes away from that.

I think the use of private funds to bring Britannia, or build a new yacht, is the best way to go.

Nowadays, when one say 'yacht', folks automatically think of celebrities in bikinis and sipping on Ciroc. Britannia was totally above that and a new yacht would be lifetimes away from that.

Oh I definitely agree with you on that point. It never was a "pleasure craft" by any means and like the royal train, was something that was economical, served a good purpose for being a "home away from home" with nice and comfortable amenities. Today though, I think we're seeing a lot more use being done by the royal helicopters than by the royal train and even HM, herself, uses an already in use train line to travel for the most part between places like for example to Balmoral or Sandringham.

It crops up here and in the Daily Mail and other publications of how the royals "waste" taxpayers monies by using such transportation methods available for them but they really only look at the costs and not other considerations. The rule of thumb is that the public looks at the costs and the expenditures of what's involved and rarely takes into consideration the safety of the public or the inconvenience to the public, the time span alloted for travel and security and whatever else the Palace has to consider. Its no wonder with this kind of media coverage, the royals are getting comments as being "spongers".

So, the reality is although the Brittania at sea again may be a good and wonderful godsend for promoting trade for GB, even if its privately funded, how will the British public as a whole and the media that feeds them perceive it?

Oh I definitely agree with you on that point. It never was a "pleasure craft" by any means and like the royal train, was something that was economical, served a good purpose for being a "home away from home" with nice and comfortable amenities. Today though, I think we're seeing a lot more use being done by the royal helicopters than by the royal train and even HM, herself, uses an already in use train line to travel for the most part between places like for example to Balmoral or Sandringham.

It crops up here and in the Daily Mail and other publications of how the royals "waste" taxpayers monies by using such transportation methods available for them but they really only look at the costs and not other considerations. The rule of thumb is that the public looks at the costs and the expenditures of what's involved and rarely takes into consideration the safety of the public or the inconvenience to the public, the time span alloted for travel and security and whatever else the Palace has to consider. Its no wonder with this kind of media coverage, the royals are getting comments as being "spongers".

So, the reality is although the Brittania at sea again may be a good and wonderful godsend for promoting trade for GB, even if its privately funded, how will the British public as a whole and the media that feeds them perceive it?

I think once the media and public fully understand the plans and diplomatic reasons for Britannia, or a new yacht, to set sail again, they will come to accept it. Also, it will take for everyone to see these diplomatic moves in place. I'm sure there were tons of criticism when Britannia was commissioned, but once it was launched and put in action, the royal yacht was widely embraced across the UK and Commonwealth.

It's a new day and people are far more skeptical, but I think if the plans are put forward before the people and media in a proper way, I think this idea would be accepted and embraced. I'm sure the Royal family would welcome it.

And that m'friend is a good indication of what the debates and powers that be that consult and connive together over the pros and the cons to get this project off the drawing board is going to be like and I don't believe either of us is actually British but we're doing a danged good job of discussing it all aren't we?

I really enjoy these conversations with you Dman. Make my drink a Chiroc mango OK? :D

I think a royal yacht may not be that unpalatable to the general public, once it is sailing.

In the wake of Brexit, which in itself was partly a nationalist statement,there has been a rise of nationalism in Britain and among many if not most Britons. Even among those who voted against Brexit. If for no other reason than defiance. - Perhaps romantic-nationalism is a better phrase.

A Brittania sailing again is also a nod back the proud days when Britain genuinely was a sea-faring nation. A floating symbol of national pride if you will.
Especially if they build a new one that does look like a ship - rather than the ugly, functional and soul-less modern cruise-ships and super-yachts.

A Brittania sailing again is also a nod back the proud days when Britain genuinely was a sea-faring nation. A floating symbol of national pride if you will. Especially if they build a new one that does look like a ship - rather than the ugly, functional and soul-less modern cruise-ships and super-yachts.

I like your thinking. You've put some better perspective of all of this into my head and as always, I like your clear thinking.

This is all the more reason that if there should be a Brittania at sea again, its the original and historic one and not something fashioned as "new and improved" that has no character to it at all. The Brittania as herself has meaning. A new and improved ship would be a cheap copy with no substance to it.

If I hadn't of seen it, I wouldn't have believed it. Totally weird for sure!

I was really hoping that if they're going to do this, they would get the Brittania back in seaworthy shape again and not commission a brand new yacht.

I think it would cost nearly as much to make the necessary changes to the Britannia as it would to build a new one.

In addition, HMY is a popular tourist attraction in Edinburgh (I think?) and I would guess they would hate to lose it.

A brand new yacht is much more sensible and has this taxpayer's full support! According to the Telegraph, people have been writing to them actually sending cheques in and offering to donate their winter fuel payments that the government gives to people of retirement age towards a new yacht!

I was really hoping that if they're going to do this, they would get the Brittania back in seaworthy shape again and not commission a brand new yacht.

Well, I too hope these talks will materialize into an actual yacht. It's a long shot, but at least some official talks are actually happening with lots of backing. A lot of plans and cost have to be thought through.

I had no idea that other countries had State Yachts. I know of other royal yachts, but State Yachts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom