The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Commoner

The Queen's official car

Hi, seeing the Queen in the rear of a Bentley in racing green visiting Kensington Palace this past week has made me wonder if this car is now the Queen's official car?

I know the claret coloured Rolls-Royce that was presented to her at the Golden jubilee, but (and I'm only assuming) that this Bentley is now the 'official' car of her majesty, but I find it rather odd it's painted in racing green, surely not an appropriate colour for a reigning monarch?

Can anyone throw any light on this please.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

You can read what the palace says about the cars at: http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHous...port/Cars.aspx
Claret is the color of the fleet.

I have no idea what's up with the green car - but remember last Dec/Jan/Feb ish when the Queen's car would not start after church? It may well be that the fleet is undergoing repairs, but that's just a guess. Undoubtedly there are other (non royal) state cars that could be used - especially as much of London is on Holiday.

“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 07-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Courtier

As far as we know the Queen still has her two custom made Bentley limousines in the royal claret colour.
I think the Bentley we have seen the Queen in (visiting Downing Street for the Jubilee, visiting Philip in hospital and visiting the new Prince George of Cambridge) is a replacement for the Jaguar car the Queen used to use. As far as I know the old style jaguar was not replaced with the more modern one like those we see the Prince of Wales and the Cambridge's using.
The Queen has always had a more low-key, normal looking car she can use for private trips when the State cars would not be appropriate.
We have also seen the Prince of Wales in a similar Bentley on several occasions so maybe when the old jagaur cars needed replacing a few new Bentley's were ordered.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Commoner

Thank you for the replies.

Yes, a less formal car would be more appropriate for a private visit now it's been mentioned, I didn't realise there were two claret coloured Bentley's though, I thought there was just the one!

I recall seeing Queen Mary's Daimler at Sandringham, that was also in a similar shade of green, though of course this was used in her dowager years.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Courtier

In the past I've read (can't remember where) that the green colour is a special edinburgh green used for the Queen's private cars
Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
As far as we know the Queen still has her two custom made Bentley limousines in the royal claret colour.
I think the Bentley we have seen the Queen in (visiting Downing Street for the Jubilee, visiting Philip in hospital and visiting the new Prince George of Cambridge) is a replaceyement for the Jaguar car the Queen used to use. As far as I know the old style jaguar was not replaced with the more modern one like those we see the Prince of Wales and the Cambridge's using.
The Queen has always had a more low-key, normal looking car she can use for private trips when the State cars would not be appropriate.
We have also seen the Prince of Wales in a similar Bentley on several occasions so maybe when the old jagaur cars needed replacing a few new Bentley's were ordered.
That right, the Bentley limousines are used for state occasions, while for private visits and less formal engagements, HM used the Bentley. She has had the Bentley for some time now, as has the PoW his.

The PoW's household has his Bentley, some Jaguar XJs (used by Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine and Harry), Audi A8s, some Audi A6 estates, and Range Rovers. This is in addition to the vehicles used privately, eg Catherine's A3, William's A5 and Charles' old Aston.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Majesty

Royal train maintenance supplier sought after Railcare collapses-
BBC News - Royal train maintenance supplier sought after Railcare collapses

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-16-2013, 04:34 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Kate and Prince William's £250k bulletproof Bentley (top speed 200mph!) | Mail Online
Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

I had seen them use the Bentley a few times recently. As expected, the article is factually wrong in some places. HM and Prince Charles have been using Bentley Mulsanne's for some time now as well.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Aristocracy

I have been reading up on the Royal Train and the high costs involved.

If the Royal Train were to be discontinued, would it be seen as a big loss to the BRF? Of couse it wouldn't be as bad as losing their beloved Royal Yacht but how sentimental is the train the the family?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Isn't the train pretty practical?

Instead of driving for hours in a minor cortege, or flying, they can spend a few hours on the tracks. Including security and staff.
They can move around, have meetings, work, read on their homework, eat and even getting some sleep. - With no inconvenience to other passengers.
In my eyes, it would be a bad idea to scrap the train. In fact they ought perhaps use it even more.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Majesty

The Queen’s new State Coach Britannia set to enter royal service-
The Queen

Thank goodness the State Coach Britannia has made it's way to Buckingham Palace and will be put to use. I was wondering what will happen to the beautifully made carriage.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Queen’s new State Coach Britannia set to enter royal service-
The Queen

Thank goodness the State Coach Britannia has made it's way to Buckingham Palace and will be put to use. I was wondering what will happen to the beautifully made carriage.
I am hoping to see it in action for the state opening of parliament in June ( I think )
Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Majesty

The making of a ship fit for a Queen: Incredible archive photos show how the Royal yacht Britannia took shape - from keel to grand dining room - more than six decades ago-
Archive photos show how the Royal yacht Britannia took shape more than six decades ago | Mail Online

Such shame that this Yacht was never replaced.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Courtier

How useful would it of been for the Cambridges tour of Australia and New Zealand. Could of had a longer tour and see more of Australia and New Zealand.

Shame they never built another one despite all the jobs it would of created.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post

How useful would it of been for the Cambridges tour of Australia and New Zealand. Could of had a longer tour and see more of Australia and New Zealand.

Shame they never built another one despite all the jobs it would of created.
Makes me feel sad that some of the things that were so wonderful about royalty and royal tours are now relegated to the past and the history books.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Aristocracy

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...00_634x408.jpg I have a question about Prince Michael's car. Is it his private care or a Royal Household one? What about it's registration plate? IMO it's unusual, but maybe it's not - I'm not from the UK . Is it some kind of a special plate reserved for Royals or cars used by the Royal Household? For example, in Denmark there are special plates for royals, even for their private cars. Even former members of the Royal House, like Hereditary Prince Knud's sons are/were "entitled to" them.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Courtier

Do you not have Euro plates in Poland?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post

Do you not have Euro plates in Poland?
We do but I'm not asking about the blue Euro strip! ;p
Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk View Post
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...00_634x408.jpg I have a question about Prince Michael's car. Is it his private care or a Royal Household one? What about it's registration plate? IMO it's unusual, but maybe it's not - I'm not from the UK . Is it some kind of a special plate reserved for Royals or cars used by the Royal Household? For example, in Denmark there are special plates for royals, even for their private cars. Even former members of the Royal House, like Hereditary Prince Knud's sons are/were "entitled to" them.
I think this may be Prince Michael's own car because the numberplate is an old, dateless one and I believe he collects number plates. Dateless number plates started off in 1904 and by the 1960s they had run out of numbers and the new system of numbering came into effect. According to my research, the lower the number on the plate, the more expensive it is.