The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-21-2018, 02:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I see Harry's driving an Audi. I know he's not the first member of the RF to go for an Audi but there's really no excuse for driving a German car, particularly now with Brexit about to happen. We need to be supporting our British brands who employ thousands of British workers. It's not as if there aren't any British luxury car brands to choose from, Jaguar/Land Rover as the prime example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
One can hardly make an issue about the Royals driving non-Brit cars when they themselves don't drive Brit cars.

I mean come on...this ethnocentric stuff is going to far.
LaRae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Why should I do that? I'm not the one complaining everytime a royal doesn't go all out British.
LaRae
Nor have I once complained about what cars H&M use.

My only point has been that it a matter of perspective, and if a certain poster (in this case, PetticoatLane) feels that they would like to see a member of their royal family drive around in British cars, I really do not believe it is for people from overseas to pontificate if this "is going to far".

It is entirely possible that there will be things that H&M do that will come up for criticism, and fortunately, not everybody has to subscribe to the view of some posters that only paeans to Meghan can be put here. Jobs in the auto industry is a big domestic issue, especially with JLR, just this week, announcing 5,000 job cuts.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is really desilusional. Look at the Germans. Their economy booms through the rooftops. Year after year they close the books with billions of Budget Surplusses. No Presidential Yacht Germania in sight...

No, really not. We would be happy though if the ministry of defense managed to get their official planes in working order, so when our chancelloress wants to fly to a summit in Argentina, she need not leave her official plane after an emergency landing en route and use a commercial flight from the airport she was stranded on...

As for Harry and his Audi - most Audis are just normal cars made for families. I don't want to read about Meghan starting to drive a Jaguar in a tabloid... As for official appointments, they do use British Range Rovers, don't they?

Old 12-21-2018, 03:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Well.... I don't see any complaints about bananas yet. Bananas aren't grown in the UK yet its an import that a lot of people in the UK like. I'm a sucker for a good banana and they don't grow here in the US either.

Its all about imports and exports which really does have a huge effect on a country's economy. Regardless of what happens in the UK politically, exports (trade) to other parts of the world remain as important as their imports. I think that a personal choice of a foreign made item whether it be a car or a article of clothing or even a banana is a nod to excellence to the manufacturer or banana plantation grower.

How many of us actually connect tea time to the UK? The very first "homegrown" tea actually is now being grown in Cornwall since 2006.

Britain now grows tea! An Atricle about tea production in England

If we all had to buy and use things that are "homegrown", there's a lot of things we'd never have the pleasure of having. Like bananas and a cup of tea.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-21-2018, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Let’s get back to the topic, which is royal transportation.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:48 AM
Royal Highness

Well obviously I would never be cut out to be Queen. As a Queen of any realm I would want a Plush train carriage and I would definately demand a hot spa!!
Maybe I would be better off as a dictator.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

A sedan-chair for me. Carried by eight panting bankers.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I did find out an interesting fact about the royal train in the book I'm reading. Its a slow moving train usually that takes back routes to an engagement rather than traveling at high speeds on a more direct route. It just leisurely chugs along but it always gets to where it needs to be on time.

Source is "Our Queen" by Robert Hardman. A very good read.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~