The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Nobility

I'm glad this is happening but, my word, £250k for a report?? Those accountants really know what they're doing.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:24 AM
Majesty

Royal Yacht Britannia - Get a Rare Glimpse Inside Prince Charles and Princess Diana's Honeymoon Yacht

Old 11-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
As the political landscape continues to shift, a campaign by the Telegraph to recommission the Royal Yacht Britannia has gathered momentum. In a move that could give some indication of what such a revised vessel might look like, London-based superyacht designers and architecture studio Winch Design has shared its plans for a modernised version of the long-serving royal yacht.
Read more: Exclusive: How the new Royal Yacht Britannia could look
Old 11-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Majesty

I like the British style of ship-building, with the curves and feminine sleek lines of ships and yachts.

That's the way a yacht should look like, rather than the floating, soul-less monstrosities that looks like bricks, which we see so often.
Perhaps a little lover superstructure would make her look more like a liner-of-the-seas if I am to point to something that should be changed
Old 11-28-2016, 02:24 AM
Majesty

Aston Martin Vantage V8: a Prince Charles favourite goes up for auction*
Old 01-03-2017, 01:29 AM
Majesty

Royal Yacht Britannia has most successful year in 2016 | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 01-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Read more of this very long article: A new Royal Yacht Britannia would help strengthen links with the Commonwealth after Brexit
Quote:
The modern Commonwealth consists of a breadth of smaller and larger countries that collectively represent the new growth demographics and economies.

It is in the United Kingdom's interests to build imaginative and stronger connections with this network of countries that share a common working language, adherence to the rule of law and sets of comparable values.

These abiding links - engrained, historical, sporting and cultural – create what is often described as 'the Commonwealth Advantage'. It is not only in the interests of the United Kingdom to make more of this advantage.

It is inevitable, in whatever shape the relationship with the European Union emerges, that adjacent European countries will be connected in some sort of symbiotic relationship and in this sense a stronger Commonwealth is of similar interest to our European friends.

It is a highly competitive world in which to develop this new persona and to demonstrate intent, the United Kingdom will need to be on top of its game to exploit all aspects of a well thought through soft-power agenda.

There are of course, important roles for government to play but, in the age of the connected citizen, a compelling and vivid representation of character and style will be vital to the success of UK plc.

In years gone by the United Kingdom employed a floating ambassador in the form of HMY Britannia. It its 44 years of service the yacht was a majestic symbol of national esteem and an iconic, photogenic focus for what would now be described as soft power.

The Britannia will always be connected with images of the Royal Family and of Her Majesty in particular, but to identify the yacht as some sort of floating palace of convenience completely misses the point.

The passages of the Britannia and the ports she visited resulted in goodwill, business opportunities, influence and a reminder of the United Kingdom as a partner of choice.
Read more: Build a new Royal Yacht Britannia and deliver a 20 year old Conservative manifesto pledge, party historian tells Theresa May
Quote:
Building a new Royal Yacht Britannia has “overwhelming support” and would allow the Conservatives finally to deliver on a 20 year old Conservative manifesto pledge, the party’s official historian Lord Lexden says.

In a letter to today's Daily Telegraph, Lord Lexden said a new yacht would fulfil a “deep longing” for Britain to show that it is “confident about our capacity to shape a new national destiny” outside the EU.

He says: “It is hard to think of anything that would hearten our country more than the revival of our neglected maritime traditions which a new royal yacht would symbolise.”

More than 70 Conservative MPs are backing plans for a new royal yacht to act as a catalyst for a newly independent Britain to win new trade deals.

The Daily Telegraph has started a campaign for a return of a modern-day version of Britannia. Theresa May, the Prime Minister, has set her face against the idea however.

“There is overwhelming support for the original plan of making a new yacht a gift from us all to a beloved sovereign.
Gift to a beloved sovereign? It will take time to build this gift, and HM is almost 91.

I was hoping the telegraph and other supporters of a new royal yacht had given up.

Do we need a new Royal Yacht? Yes we do.

Do I support this campaign? No I don't.

And there are three reasons for this:

1) Jeremy Corbyn and his people will never support it.

2) The republicans who always complains will complain even more and the Mirror will go through the roof.

3) We should concentrate on the renovation of Buckingham Palace.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Royal Train saved from the scrapheap after Queen makes it known it is still her favoured mode of transport

I wish we could go back to the days when the Royal family was pictured departing and arriving to and from Sandringham on the Royal Train. It seems like the family used it more often back in the day. Not everything is about cost.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I have read that the only royals allowed to use the Royal Train is the Queen, Philip, Charles and Camilla.

Most of the Queens engagements are at the Palaces. So she would not need it very much.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Courtier

Inspite of being an ardent royalist, I simply cannot support the idea of Britannia version 2.0 Those days are over.. That's it.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I agree with you vkrish. The glory days of Brittania that served the Empire so well has been washed into the shores of history as times changed, Transportation changed, the economy changed and the people changed. Ways and means of travel around the world has improved leaps and bounds and is more cost efficient and quicker now than its ever been.

Its also much more efficient for HM to travel to Sandringham, Balmoral or anywhere else in the country by how she's doing it now. A regularly scheduled train with her royal car added to it. It works for her.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think you guys are right. Those glory days are gone. The fact is that the Royal Yacht shouldn't have been decommissioned. Now that's happened, it's very hard to get it back. It would be lovely if it happen though. Especially for the new faces of the royal family.

The royal family like traveling by the royal train. If they had it their way, they would mainly use it. The cost of the use of the train has caused them to use scheduled trains more often. Don't be fooled though...the royals love their official transportations.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Majesty

I very much disagree.
I think there are both good reasons for building a new royal yacht and just as much for using it.
Not least in these years after Brexit.

I think I've listed these reasons several times before in this thread, so I won't repeat myself.

For an island-nation a royal yacht is anything but a has-been.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Royal Transportation (land, sea, air)

I think the cost of retrofitting the original yacht was $10 mil at the time. Bet many are now regretting letting it go.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I very much disagree.
I think there are both good reasons for building a new royal yacht and just as much for using it.

I think I've listed these reasons several times before in this thread, so I won't repeat myself.

It would be great for a new Yacht to be commissioned and it would serve the monarchy and government well. It's just hard to get everyone on board to commission one today. The focus is now on cost and the look of extravagance. I hope one is officially commissioned. Britannia shouldn't have been decommissioned, but improved with technology.

I'm still waiting to see what's going to become of the talks within the government.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Maybe, just maybe they will come to believe that the original Brittania with all the wonderful accoutrements that made this ship so special deserves to be retrofitted and updated for use once again and actually then be seen as a national treasure that is not only excellently preserved in its original form but also still serves the monarchy and its government still.

Maybe its a pipe dream but I think its a good pipe dream.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I very much disagree.

I wholeheartedly agree. The use of transport by boat/yacht/ship is not some outdated remnant of days gone by. The Danish and Norwegian Royal Families have a royal yacht and both these countries are very modern, forward thinking nations able to cope with the connection between tradition, history and progress.

I can't see extravagance in any forms of royal transport considering that Britain is a nation that is well off and that most people have all sorts of extravagances in their lives to one degree or another.

We are an island nation, we love the sea and we love going on ships!
Old 02-19-2017, 05:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

No way in hell will they build another royal yacht and millions would disagree that most people have all sorts of extravagances.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
A new £100million Royal Yacht Britannia would attract “overwhelming support” and will be considered by the Government, Boris Johnson has said.

The Foreign Secretary’s remarks are the first time that a Government minister has backed the campaign for a new ship at the despatch box in the House of Commons.
Read more: New Royal Yacht Britannia would attract 'overwhelming support' and will be considered by ministers, Boris Johnson announces in Parliament
Old 03-21-2017, 11:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Philip backed plans for a new Royal Yacht Britannia that could be used a training ship for apprentices

A.W. TOZER