The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
And that m'friend is a good indication of what the debates and powers that be that consult and connive together over the pros and the cons to get this project off the drawing board is going to be like and I don't believe either of us is actually British but we're doing a danged good job of discussing it all aren't we?

I really enjoy these conversations with you Dman. Make my drink a Chiroc mango OK?

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-10-2016, 03:17 PM
Majesty

I think a royal yacht may not be that unpalatable to the general public, once it is sailing.

In the wake of Brexit, which in itself was partly a nationalist statement,there has been a rise of nationalism in Britain and among many if not most Britons. Even among those who voted against Brexit. If for no other reason than defiance. - Perhaps romantic-nationalism is a better phrase.

A Brittania sailing again is also a nod back the proud days when Britain genuinely was a sea-faring nation. A floating symbol of national pride if you will.
Especially if they build a new one that does look like a ship - rather than the ugly, functional and soul-less modern cruise-ships and super-yachts.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
A Brittania sailing again is also a nod back the proud days when Britain genuinely was a sea-faring nation. A floating symbol of national pride if you will. Especially if they build a new one that does look like a ship - rather than the ugly, functional and soul-less modern cruise-ships and super-yachts.
I like your thinking. You've put some better perspective of all of this into my head and as always, I like your clear thinking.

This is all the more reason that if there should be a Brittania at sea again, its the original and historic one and not something fashioned as "new and improved" that has no character to it at all. The Brittania as herself has meaning. A new and improved ship would be a cheap copy with no substance to it.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I found this very interesting;
https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/...56628197294080
Old 10-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Indeed interesting.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-11-2016, 01:48 PM
Majesty

If I hadn't of seen it, I wouldn't have believed it. Totally weird for sure!
― John Lennon
Old 10-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Calls for foreign aid budget to be spent on new royal yacht to boost post-Brexit trade-
Tory MPs call for foreign aid budget to be spent on new royal yacht Britannia | Politics | News | Daily Express

Gert's Royals ‏@Gertsroyals 34m34 minutes ago
"The new yacht could be used to host trade meetings, transport Prime Minister & provide accommodation for Royal Family on state visits,"

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Majesty

I was really hoping that if they're going to do this, they would get the Brittania back in seaworthy shape again and not commission a brand new yacht.
― John Lennon
Old 10-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Nobility

I think it would cost nearly as much to make the necessary changes to the Britannia as it would to build a new one.

In addition, HMY is a popular tourist attraction in Edinburgh (I think?) and I would guess they would hate to lose it.

A brand new yacht is much more sensible and has this taxpayer's full support! According to the Telegraph, people have been writing to them actually sending cheques in and offering to donate their winter fuel payments that the government gives to people of retirement age towards a new yacht!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I was really hoping that if they're going to do this, they would get the Brittania back in seaworthy shape again and not commission a brand new yacht.
Well, I too hope these talks will materialize into an actual yacht. It's a long shot, but at least some official talks are actually happening with lots of backing. A lot of plans and cost have to be thought through.

I had no idea that other countries had State Yachts. I know of other royal yachts, but State Yachts.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I think it would cost nearly as much to make the necessary changes to the Britannia as it would to build a new one.

In addition, HMY is a popular tourist attraction in Edinburgh (I think?) and I would guess they would hate to lose it.

A brand new yacht is much more sensible and has this taxpayer's full support! According to the Telegraph, people have been writing to them actually sending cheques in and offering to donate their winter fuel payments that the government gives to people of retirement age towards a new yacht!
Not a British taxpayer myself, - but I agree for several reasons.

A new Britannia needs extensive upgrading in security, communications, accommodation, fuel economy and no doubt various work-safety-measures as well.
It would IMO be much more sensible to commission a whole new ship. With British design, British build, British furnishing and the best (again mainly) British technology.
- That at least is how I would sell the idea.
As a floating representative for not only Britain, but the best Britain can offer.

Not only will it save money when going visiting abroad, at least for the visited country, but it will also be easier to protect and be a more permanent home away from home for the BRF - rather than hotels and guest-rooms.
Not to mention that a well-designed and good looking Britannia will be an attraction in itself.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, I too hope these talks will materialize into an actual yacht. It's a long shot, but at least some official talks are actually happening with lots of backing. A lot of plans and cost have to be thought through.

I had no idea that other countries had State Yachts. I know of other royal yachts, but State Yachts.
USA had an official presidential yacht IIRC.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post

The Brittania is indeed moored outside of Edinburgh I believe and is quite a popular tourist attraction.

I find it quite touching that the public has been taking these measures in support of a seafaring vessel once again roaming the high seas for Great Britain. From what I've read, the funds for this will be by private donations and not out of the taxpayer's pockets and it does seem that some of the public are showing their support for this project. That is so cool!
― John Lennon
Old 10-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Government has 'no plans' for royal yacht for Brexit trade talks - BBC News

I agree that good proposals have to be put forward and private financing should be used.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it would be great if they did
Old 10-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent

After the referendum people might have expected the UK politicians to be engaged by now in a serious and wide-ranging debate on how to mend fences with the so-much-bigger brother across the Channel. Instead, Britain is losing itself in delusional grandstanding, talking about itself to itself, using the Britannia as a loincloth to disguise that Westminster has no idea what to do now: drag that boat in the harbour of Kiel! Angela Merkel surely will shiver by the sight of it and give in! Come on....
Old 10-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
After the referendum people might have expected the UK politicians to be engaged by now in a serious and wide-ranging debate on how to mend fences with the so-much-bigger brother across the Channel. Instead, Britain is losing itself in delusional grandstanding, talking about itself to itself, using the Britannia as a loincloth to disguise they have no idea what to do now.
The U.K. have relaunch themselves on the world stage of trade and diplomatic relations. Lots of brainstorming going on, but putting plans to a new State Yacht for official reasons is a good start, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
they have no idea what to do now.
Actually we know PERFECTLY well what to do.. which is to negotiate our departure from the EU, as per the democratic decision of the people on June 23rd inst.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

We DO need a new Royal Yacht say the last three men who captained Britannia | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The construction of a successor to royal yacht Britannia has moved a signifcant step closer after a group of entrepreneurs pledged £250,000 to pay a City firm to carry out an analysis of her costs and benefits to the British economy.

Deloitte, one of the world’s biggest consultancy firms, has been formally approached by the group of businessmen to develop plans for a successor to the royal yacht.

Representatives from the group met with Deloitte this week and have offered to pay £250,000 for a "scoping document" which will the cost of a new ship and her benefit to the economy.
Read more: Successor to new Britannia moves closer as Deloitte approached to carry out cost benefit analysis