Royal Security

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:Exactly! It is the POLITICIANS who will need security! They are the ones who have made an unholy mess of everything!

Since they are using Cold War plans, I assume there must be undisclosed safe houses, maybe even bunkers that would be used in the event of a nuclear war as there are in the US. I don't think they are talking about Sandringham or Balmoral here.

Yes during WW2 and the Cold War there were plans to take the royals to designated country houses deep in the countryside and in the Cold War the Queen was to go onboard Britannia and moved covertly around the Scottish isles.

As for in the case of a no-deal Brexit, those plans seem extreme. At most during some initial protests or unrest it would be prudent to take the royals out of London where their palaces are possible prime protest points to more discreet country residences. Yes the planners are apparently working off those old cold war plans but I think people here are saying that those plans seems extreme for these circumstances.

In the initial aftermath of a no-deal Brexit peoples anger would be at the politicians. Only in the event of very deep, long running civil unrest would the RF become vulnerable and then, I suspect the WW2 attitude of the RF would come in to play - keep calm and carry on and be with the people.

Last edited:
In order for the British public to riot against the Royal family, they'd have to do something to really enrage us eg banning caravans or digestive biscuits.

This is probably a measure of prevention if something unexpected happens. Certainly the Royal Family has the necessary means so that if at some point they have to leave London they can do it safely and even discreetly.

nice to know they are being looked after... while the rest of us have to endure riots......

:previous:Demonstrations can devolve into riots that spread violence and destruction quite rapidly. Better to be overly cautious than not enough. I can see some caught up in the heat of a riot deciding that storming Kensington or Buckingham was a great idea. At that point the rioters are not thinking “The Queen wasn’t involved in Brexit so we should respect the Palace.”

Last edited:
Sounds to me like they're making plans for the worse case scenario. Doesn't mean that is what is going to happen. I also think that making this public isn't the wisest of moves. It only serves to put ideas into the wind that maybe, just maybe rioting would prove a point and get attention and results.

The only thing I can think of is if London becomes chaotic with protests and riots, members of the royal family would essentially be trapped in BP, KP, and CH. And if it drags on, it would become difficult for their security even if no one storms the palaces. Another thing is, you can’t predict who out there is up to what. Crowds of protesters are easy to be used as cover for something else.

Stay safe, those of you in the UK, and please let us know if you need any food, clothing, or medicine sent your way! ?

Can you send me some pop tarts please, brown cinnamon ;);)??

I picture you huddled in a closet, anxiously nibbling on your brown cinnamon pop tarts, while the rioters ransack your house! ?

Whatever you do, do not suggest that the public simply EAT CAKE!!!!!

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is if London becomes chaotic with protests and riots, members of the royal family would essentially be trapped in BP, KP, and CH.

They'd never be trapped because they have access to armed military, armed police & a fleet of helicopters to whisk them away.

They'd never be trapped because they have access to armed military, armed police & a fleet of helicopters to whisk them away.
Not always. Helicopters can only land in certain places. That’s why we often see Camilla and Charles taking off or landing in KP. And if there are mass rioting on the street, armored vehicles aren’t going to be enough. But again, that would under extenuating circumstances.

Not always. Helicopters can only land in certain places. That’s why we often see Camilla and Charles taking off or landing in KP. And if there are mass rioting on the street, armored vehicles aren’t going to be enough. But again, that would under extenuating circumstances.

I read somewhere that there's a tunnel between CH & BP so they could use that & get a chopper there. It's not going to be needed though because any mass rioting (if it happens at all) wouldn't be around any of the royal homes.

if there is mass rioting on the street, armored vehicles aren’t going to be enough.

The Royal family has the entire Guards Division stationed 'over the road' from Buckingham Palace in Birdcage Walk, in the staggeringly unlikely eventuality these mass riots occur...

A very 'British' solution, plan for the worst and hope door the best. Except some childish social internet fan 'shared'. Makes no difference though.

The Royal family has the entire Guards Division stationed 'over the road' from Buckingham Palace in Birdcage Walk, in the staggeringly unlikely eventuality these mass riots occur...

I was going to say the likelihood of riots happening are slim but the Guards Division is there to protect the royal family. We’re talking hundreds of troops sworn to protect the Queen.

I don't see any reason why the BRF should relocate just because of Brexit. As others have pointed out, this is the same family that stayed in the centre of London during the Blitz even after Buckingham Palace had been hit by bombs, so I highly doubt they'd "evacuate" because of this which is a minor thing in comparison to WWII, as big as it is at the moment.

I read somewhere that there's a tunnel between CH & BP so they could use that & get a chopper there. It's not going to be needed though because any mass rioting (if it happens at all) wouldn't be around any of the royal homes.

Although unlikely don't forget that the Royals can sometimes get dragged into things that don't start with them...remember Charles and Camilla's car being attacked by "student tuition fee" protestors. An issue that had nothing to do with them but once people get angry on the streets anything can become a target.

That said, there are plenty of pictures of BP being centre of protests while the royal standard is flying. I suspect if the RF were moved out of London, especially for more than just a night or two in the initial aftermath, it would be because of more than just a few protestors. Some have suggested the "leaking" of these plans are part of scare tactics to suggest than in the even of no-deal Brexit we would see the breakdown of law and order, looting, food shortages etc.
In reality there will be at most a few protests which may go via BP and a few people may throw things, cause trouble for a few nights. If they are worried about that then don't forget that the Mall is regularly closed to traffic and wouldn't be impossible to close to the public.

The Queen saw first hand that the motto "Keep Calm and Carry On" got her parents through the War and suspect she feels the same motto will get her through this blip.

I know Diana after the divorce was offered Police protection but decided against it. However if she had accepted it would this have been permanent even if she had re-married? This is because if Diana was alive today you would be in the position of both Diana and Camilla having police protection.

I know this is just speculation and we'll never know but if Diana was still alive today and Charles had married Camilla or someone completely new (which would have been very unlikely). Interest in Diana in a royal sense could have been gradually reduced as there was a new Princess of Wales and a royal replacement for Diana who would be the former Princess of Wales?

Some sort of police protection would have been offered for as long as there was perceived to be a threat to Diana's security. I am sure that, for example, the Middleton's have more security than you or I, even if its just specific phone number to call the police if there is a problem.

She may not have had "Royal protection" officers if she re-married but would have had some level of protection while in the UK, all of which would be based on the threat assessment to her. NO police protection is permanent as it all based on the threat assessment of that person - for example some royals considered senior now and getting 24/7 protection will probably not get such protection in a decade or two if their public profile is considerably lower. I suspect, for example, by then Anne Andrew and the Wessex's will get similar protection to that the Queen's cousins get now. `likewise as you say, Diana's profile could well have reduced over time to a point where 24/7 protection was considered unnecessary. That said it all depends on the threat to that individual.

After her divorce, Diana even if she did not use it was still entitled to police protection. I was wondering if Diana had re-married would the offer of police protection have been withdrawn?

“Every time there is a major Royal event the whingers are unbelievably vocal over policing cost to taxpayers. Today hundreds of police were deployed in effort to prevent 'climate protestors' from bringing London to a standstill. So why no howls of protest over policing cost?”

Via Dickie Arbiter Twitter

Security is such a tough subject. Families of the Head of State are vulnerable because of who they are. All of Donald Trumps children receive protection, not just the ones who work for the government. I understand why people want the freedom to live their own lives, but all tax payer money needs to be spent responsibly.

What is the status of Bea and Eugenie's police protection? Does Andrew pay for it or do they just not have any?

What is the status of Bea and Eugenie's police protection? Does Andrew pay for it or do they just not have any?

They have private security when needed. Andrew pays for it. They do live in buildings/areas for which the government provides security, but not because of them.

Last edited:
I know Diana after the divorce was offered Police protection but decided against it. However if she had accepted it would this have been permanent even if she had re-married? This is because if Diana was alive today you would be in the position of both Diana and Camilla having police protection.

I know this is just speculation and we'll never know but if Diana was still alive today and Charles had married Camilla or someone completely new (which would have been very unlikely). Interest in Diana in a royal sense could have been gradually reduced as there was a new Princess of Wales and a royal replacement for Diana who would be the former Princess of Wales?

Well - he didn't remarry so it isn't quite the same but does Fergie have police protection? It's a shame Andrew messed up his life so badly - if he had just waited he could have gotten his daughters that working royals role he wanted for them.

As far as security goes, we have to remember too that its not the "Firm" or any royal's decision on who gets security and who doesn't. That is totally decided by the Metropolitan Police. They're the ones that do the threat assessments and deem the security level and how much protection someone gets. ?

Andrew has been paying for it since they left university. He even offered the job to some of the RPOs who had been on their detail as members of the Metropolitan Police and as he offered higher pay and better conditions a number of them chose to leave the Police to become private security for the girls.

It can become quite expensive with Beatrice's home in the US also needing to be secured.

Well - he didn't remarry so it isn't quite the same but does Fergie have police protection? It's a shame Andrew messed up his life so badly - if he had just waited he could have gotten his daughters that working royals role he wanted for them.

Sarah lost royal protection years ago. She would have it when she was with the girls but she also, like Diana, gave it after her divorce.

Andrew's mess has nothing to do with the York girls not being wanted as working royals. That decision was made while they were both still in full-time education when he was still seen as acceptable to the public.

Now there is no way back for him and his daughters aren't wanted by the senior royals nor would they be accepted by the public at large.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom