The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-05-2010, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Prince Harry security doubled amid fears he is terror target - mirror.co.uk

Security around Prince Harry has been doubled amid fears he is a terror target.

Six SAS-trained gun guards have reportedly been shadowing him after Britain's security services raised the threat of attack against the Royal Family to Level 2, one below "imminent". A similar ring of steel was thrown around Prince Charles and Camilla as they arrived in India to open the Commonwealth Games.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Commoner

Today I was watching All the Queen's Horses and it sad that while Elizabeth II was out on her horse (trooping of the colors) she was shot at but the man missed. I know that there was another attempt in Australia. Are there any other attempted assassinations on Elizabeth II or on any other royals?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QEII View Post
Today I was watching All the Queen's Horses and it sad that while Elizabeth II was out on her horse she was shot at but the man missed. I know that there was another attempt in Australia. Are there any other attempted assassinations on Elizabeth II or on any other royals?
From memory, the young man fired blanks at the Queen from a replica gun. There was no chance of his killing or wounding her. He was a teenager who wanted to 'be famous'.

Prince Charles was presumably 'attacked' in Australia by a Cambodian refugee suffering from severe depression. He used a starting pistol, which was harmless, and was sentenced to community service, only, for the fright he gave everyone, and because his psychological illness was accepted as an excuse.

There has never been an attempted assassination of Queen Elizabeth in Australia. However, in 1868, Prince Alfred Ernest Albert, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Kent and Earl of Ulster and second son of Queen Victoria was shot at in Sydney but only slightly wounded. This was the result of sectarian tensions between Irish immigrants.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Commoner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...yal-train.html

This is where I heard about the one in Australia
Old 12-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by QEII View Post
I'm very glad the train was not derailed because many could have been injured or even killed, but on the basis of that article I'm not persuaded it was an assassination attempt.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Gentry

Your dirty hands off of the glorious Queen...i would die,if anything bad happened to her Majesty...aw Gawd, long live the Queen!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I'm very glad the train was not derailed because many could have been injured or even killed, but on the basis of that article I'm not persuaded it was an assassination attempt.
Nor was anyone else, at the time. All trains on that well-known stretch of track have to travel very slowly to cope with its twisting and turning, ergo, it is unlikely that anyone deliberately attempting to derail the trail wouldn't know this.

Further, it is inconceivable that had an attempt been made on the Queen, the investigation would have been left to a local country police sergeant.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 AM
Majesty

If I remember rightly this wasn't reported at the time and has only recently surfaced.
I think there is more to this than we have been told.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Courtier

Had an attempt been made on the Queen (and the then sergeant said that he suspected the IRA) the police would have been obliged to inform Scotland Yard and the Australian Federal Police as a serious security matter. There is nothing in any records to show that this occurred, nor is there any indication that a D notice was issued to silence the press in either government or newspaper records. I can't imagine the press keeping quiet about it today if it were a true story,other than reporting this retiree's opinion and suspicions.

I think it humbug, myself.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Royal security beefed up after mob attack on Prince Charles and Countess Camilla's car | Mail Online

Typical DM, getting the title completely wrong.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - Royal car attack: Lessons learned, says Theresa May

Royal car attack: Lessons learned, says Theresa May

Camilla and Charles found themselves in the middle of the protest

"Important lessons have been learned" after the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall were caught up in the fees protests, the home secretary has said.
Police should look beyond the available intelligence and take a broader view of potential threats, Theresa May said.
Their car was attacked by protesters and "contact" was made with the duchess in London's West End on 9 December.
Protection had to continue to take into account the Royal Family's desire to be seen by the public, the report said.
"The most significant area of learning from the incident is the need to look beyond the available intelligence to take a broader view of threats that can reasonably be anticipated in the circumstances, and to adapt plans accordingly," Mrs May said.
While "important lessons have been learned from this shocking incident" she said the findings must be seen in the context of the provision of protection for the Royal Family that has an "enviable record over many years".
She added: "Such protection always has to take into account the Royal Family's desire to be seen by and to be close to the public."
Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Hmm, that statement sounds like a lot of blah, blah to me.
The protection failed. That's the bottom line.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Royals to be shrouded in further secrecy under controversial law change | Mail Online
Old 01-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Tuition fees: 2 suspected protesters arrested trying to enter Buckingham Palace | Mail Online
Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Police bodyguards to be issued with stun guns to protect the Royals from protesters - Telegraph

Police officers protecting the Royal Family are being issued with controversial taser stun guns following the attack on Prince Charles and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, by student protesters last year.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Charlie Gilmour appears in court accused of attacking royal convoy | Education | The Guardian

Charlie Gilmour, son of the Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour, has appeared in court accused of attacking a convoy that included a car carrying the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.

He is also accused of throwing a rubbish bin at a car containing the prince's security officers and of sitting on the bonnet of the same vehicle.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Beatrice and Eugenie are on the step to lose the 24-hour protection officers,as the costs are too high,Prince Andrew is against this decision and wants to keep the current ststem
Beatrice and Eugenie stripped of 24-hour protection after row over £50,000 cost | Mail Online
Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Courtier

Beatrice and Eugenie - Stripped of 24-Hour Protection Row

Beatrice and Eugenie stripped of 24-hour protection after row over £50,000 cost | Mail Online
Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Aristocracy

If this is true, it seems to me to be a reaction to the media, which is sad. Personally, considering everything else the British state spends money on, I don't see how we can begrudge a mere £500,000 to keep the Princesses safe. The rubbish about nightclubs is a typical DM low blow, as well.

And if it's true about their future careers, it seems wrong somehow the girls and their father have simply been over-ruled. Surely Beatrice and Eugenie themselves should have some say in their future roles - the RF could be squandering a couple of potential assets, as I think they could have a lot to offer, given the opportunity.
http://duchessofyork.webeden.co.uk/
Old 05-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Nobility

There's never been a credible threat on the girls. I'm not saying they can't be targets but sometimes having security makes you more likely to catch heat than if you don't.

Tags
british royal family, gloucester, kent, kidnapping, minor hrh, royal security, security, terrorism