The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

My own view is that the title of HRH is not what should determine the level of security provided, but the view of actual or perceived threat by the Home Office or a competent authority. The competent authority may well determine that for example, the Gloucesters and the York girls do not need security but say, Princess Michael does. I do think this sort of review is necessary and will help manage costs better.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Is there any particular reason for you to think that Prince and Princess Michael need to have a security?
Even if the above couple is threated, providing a taxpayer funded protection will definitely cause an uproar among the British people, who will demand the above couple to hire their own security personnel as other individuals of means do.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Firstly, I had used the names (of the Kents, Yorks and Gloucesters) purely as examples, as I stated in the post. Secondly, if I am not mistaken, all HRHs have some level of security protection that is tax payer funded. This includes Prince & Princess Michael.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I have not been aware of the fact that HRHs from the Kents and Gloucesters families have got tax-payer funded security. I was under the impression that their security was cut as a measure to reduce costs.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

I coujld be wrong, but I think they still do have some level of security, though it may have been scaled down.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Majesty

When they are one official duties e.g. the Duke of Kent at Wimbledon they will have tax-payer funded security.

They no longer have around the clock security.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Administrator

And I think that is the right thing to do....I might even argue that they deserve greater security.

When you have crazy people who stalk and kill regular people (i.e Jill Dando and Rebecca Scaeffer - an relatively unknown American actress) what is being done to stop people from targeting the Duke of Kent. Due to the increased importance and usage of the internet and the dumbing down of society, the world is a scary place. Plus for any terrorist organization, being able to kidnap and potentially harm a member of the BRF could be a bonus and bring a lot of attention to their cause.

Let me explain my comment. In today's society, we have extreme and dangerous type of journalism. The facts don't matter. When you have newspapers coming up with inflammatory headlines and reporting everything but the facts, you have a society who are making opinions based on outdated and erroneous facts. Some of the British newspapers, seem to enjoy reporting on negative facts about the British Royal family. Take for example, Prince Andrew and hitting the man with the car...if you based your opinion on that particular incident in a particular newspaper...Andrew was driving 60 miles an hour and drove over the man, backed up, and drove over him again. Now Andrew is not perfect, and certainly he could have been instructed by Scotland Yard to continue driving and don't stop (cause I am pretty sure he had a bodyguard in the car) but you have potential of DM readers out for blood. What's to stop someone from acting on that particular hate?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Additional information about Prince and Princess Michael's security

Quote:
Scoltand Yard and Buckingham Palace are facing serious questions over Prince and Princess Michael of Kent being given armed police protection costing taxpayers more than £250,000 a year.
The couple carry out no official duties but are given their own Metropolitan Police bodyguards when attending social events both in this country and abroad.
They also receive round-the-clock protection at their five-bedroom, five-reception apartment at Kensington Palace.
At the same time it is pointed out that
Quote:
"Unlike other members of the Royal Family they [Prince and Princess Michael] are not given a personal protection officer round the clock,' the source said. 'It is allocated on a project-by-project basis in the UK and overseas based on guidelines that stipulate there should be a "work" aspect to the visit.
Read more: No official role, so why is Pushy's security bill £14m? | Mail Online
Given the article, does it mean that only Prince and Princess Michael receive tax-payer funded police protection? Do Prince and Princess Michael receive the round-the-clock protection because of the place (i.e. the Kensington Palace) they reside in? I am confused at this point. What about the rest of the Kent clan and the Gloucesters?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I am glad to hear they have security on a part-time basis only. I suspect the arrangements from the rest of the Kent clan and the Gloucesters is the same.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

250,000 for the Kents? Can anyone, please, total the annual security expenses for the whole BRF? I mean, the real numbers.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Nobility

Scotland Yard alarm at cost of guards for Eugenie - Times Online

SCOTLAND YARD officers have expressed disquiet about the huge cost to the taxpayer of protecting Princess Eugenie and other “party-loving” minor royals
Old 03-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Tommy! It doesn't open for me, but I'll google the Times later. It is outrageous! Let's see if they also have some 'real numbers'.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I really do not think the York girls need any state funded security. It seems like a complete waste. That said, if the intelligence services felt they needed protection, then it would be justified.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Scotland Yard chief's fury over royal security bill for Princess Eugenie and 'B-list' royals | Mail Online

Old 03-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Nobility

Scotland Yard's spending on 'minor royals worth 130 police on streets' - Telegraph

Scotland Yard has been forced to spend £4million - which could fund 130 extra frontline officers - on protecting VIPs including minor members of the Royal family, it emerged.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Heir Apparent

In other words, 130 young men could have had a decent job and/or even start a family...
Old 03-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well if Zara and Peter never had bodyguards then I don't see why Beatrice and Eugenie need to have them. They are all the Queen's grandchildren.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Serene Highness

It's been consistently reported that Prince Andrew has been vociferous in defending his daughters right to have this protection and I can believe that. I think he still thinks that he is the senior Royal he was considered to be in the 1980's when in the publics eyes he just isn't anymore. He is a second son and Beatrice and Eugenie are simply the children of a second son just like Prince Joachim of Denmark's children are and they are not seen as major Royals either. Fergie also seems oblivious to the passage of time where her daughters are concerned saying on T.V. shows that she tells the girls to smile as "the public" don''t want to see unhappy looking pricesses, how patronising is that? Dosn't she realise that most taxpayers don't want to pay for them either?
Old 03-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
Well if Zara and Peter never had bodyguards then I don't see why Beatrice and Eugenie need to have them. They are all the Queen's grandchildren.

The difference is closeness to the throne and the HRH.

Beatrice could easily be acting as Cousellor of State, effectively doing the job of the monarch at times in the future (the Counsellors are the next five adults over 21 in line to the throne and the spouse of the monarch).

She will continue to hold this senior position until such time as either William or Harry have a child reach 21 years of age (and once the Queen dies there will need to be two such children).

That is hardly a minor royal in my mind.

Both William and Harry are doing training to serve in dangerous situations and it is perfectly possible to envision one or both of them dying in the service of their country - leaving Beatrice as the eventual Queen.

Until William or Harry have children Beatrice is certainly not a minor royal. Given the animosity on here to her father and to her I think her security needs to be strong as there are too many idiots out there who would think nothing of taking her out (not saying anyone on here would but if the level of animosity here is an indication of the attitude amongst the general public, many of whom are anti-monarchy, it is possible).

We don't know what threats there have been against these two girls but I wouldn't be surprised if there had been.

Imagine the reaction of the Queen if one of her grandchildren was killed due to the reduction of security.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Heir Apparent

You make very good points, Iluvbertie. I hadn't thought about Beatrice being Counsellor of State, but the idea of her perhaps being Queen Regnant one day has occurred to me.

I've also noticed the negativity toward the Yorks on the comments sections of online newspapers. Sometimes it seems to be close to hatred.

Given the number of would-be terrorists there are in the world (including home-grown terrorists), I think that the York princesses need the best protection available--and that means official protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The difference is closeness to the throne and the HRH.

Beatrice could easily be acting as Cousellor of State, effectively doing the job of the monarch at times in the future (the Counsellors are the next five adults over 21 in line to the throne and the spouse of the monarch).

She will continue to hold this senior position until such time as either William or Harry have a child reach 21 years of age (and once the Queen dies there will need to be two such children).

That is hardly a minor royal in my mind.

Both William and Harry are doing training to serve in dangerous situations and it is perfectly possible to envision one or both of them dying in the service of their country - leaving Beatrice as the eventual Queen.

Until William or Harry have children Beatrice is certainly not a minor royal. Given the animosity on her to her father and to her I think her security needs to be strong as there are too many idiots out there who would think nothing of taking her out (not saying anyone on here would but if the level of animosity here is an indication of the attitude amongst the general public, many of whom are anti-monarchy, it is possible).

We don't know what threats there have been against these two girls but I wouldn't be surprised if there had been.

Imagine the reaction of the Queen if one of her grandchildren was killed due to the reduction of security.

Tags
british royal family, gloucester, kent, kidnapping, minor hrh, royal security, security, terrorism