Royal Security

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can see Meghan's security being removed at some point. From what I understand, Sophie only has it when she is in her official capacity. She wouldn't have protection if she was out shopping or out for lunch.

I can see Meghan's security being removed at some point. From what I understand, Sophie only has it when she is in her official capacity. She wouldn't have protection if she was out shopping or out for lunch.

Agreed. I'd be surprised if she's allowed to keep her security on a full-time permanent basis. I think that, at least for a while, they'll be allowed to keep full-time security, especially because of all of the drama surrounding them right now. There's a lot of people out there who aren't taking kindly to the disrespect to the Queen, the family, and the institution. At least a few of those people might try to take it upon themselves to do something about the situation. As things settle and time goes on, though, I certainly think that at least Meghan will lose her publicly funded security and I honestly think Harry might, too. At a certain point it'll no longer be tenable for them to retain publicly funded security no matter how much they might not want to be stuck footing their own bill.

Security is based on threat assessment and frankly the way some act about Harry and Meghan.... they probably will have it for while.

In my country (Netherlands) anyone with a risk profile, be a prince or a pauper, be a celebrity or a nobody, be a politician or a witness of the prosecution, gets personal security.

And there is no bill for it as the State has the monopoly on law enforcement and armed protection.

In my personal view, no matter HRH The Duke of Sussex or a "Harry", if he has a risk profile he should have protection. Period. And no, he does not need to pay for it. He has not asked to be a potential target. No one asks the Mayor of London, under threat, to pay for his protection. Why should "Harry", equally under threat, have to pay? That is class justice.

Last edited:

This sounds eminently reasonable. It makes sense to provide security at future events which are public knowledge.

In my country (Netherlands) anyone with a risk profile, be a prince or a pauper, be a celebrity or a nobody, be a politician or a witness of the prosecution, gets personal security.

And there is no bill for it as the State has the monopoly on law enforcement and armed protection.

In my personal view, no matter HRH The Duke of Sussex or a "Harry", if he has a risk profile he should have protection. Period. And no, he does not need to pay for it. He has not asked to be a potential target. No one asks the Mayor of London, under threat, to pay for his protection. Why should "Harry", equally under threat, have to pay? That is class justice.

I agree that it's not Harry's fault that he is who he is. On the other hand he has chosen to lead a life that will potentially cost staggering amounts of taxpayers money to provide security. It is very unclear at the moment who is going to pay for what. The logistics of royal protection officers being so far from home must also have affects on their personal lives. Are they supposed to relocate? How long do they have to live in BC for before returning to the UK?

If they expect the Canadian Government to provide officers then there will be knock on effects on policing in whatever part of Canada they end up living in. I would imagine most vip protection officers in Canada live/work around Ottawa. That's a long was from Vancouver Island. Maybe I'm totally wrong on this & one of our Canadian cousins can help me out here.:flowers:

Last edited:

This sounds eminently reasonable. It makes sense to provide security at future events which are public knowledge.

It really depends on the risk factor whether BRFs have security or not & we don't know that side of things. If Meghan continues to have 24/7 security, it will be for a reason.

It really depends on the risk factor whether BRFs have security or not & we don't know that side of things. If Meghan continues to have 24/7 security, it will be for a reason.

Indeed it will. Security is provided on a case by case basis. My comment was referring to Sophie rather then Meghan btw. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I agree that it's not Harry's fault that he is who he is. On the other hand he has chosen to lead a life that will potentially cost staggering amounts of taxpayers money to provide security. It is very unclear at the moment who is going to pay for what. The logistics of royal protection officers being so far from home must also have affects on their personal lives. Are they supposed to relocate? How long do they have to live in BC for before returning to the UK?

If they expect the Canadian Government to provide officers then there will be knock on effects on policing in whatever part of Canada they end up living in. I would imagine most vip protection officers in Canada live/work around Ottawa. That's a long was from Vancouver Island. Maybe I'm totally wrong on this & one of our Canadian cousins can help me out here.:flowers:

When Eugenie was on her gap year and she stayed at a hostel in India it came out the the RPOs (and she had a full detail in those days - 6 with her) weren't staying there. Their award requires that when not on duty that have to be accommodated at a 5 star hotel, with a meal allowance. They also have to fly first class, except for those 'on duty' who will travel in the same class as the principle. It also came out that they had to be replaced every two weeks - so every two weeks 12 first class airfares from the UK to wherever the principle is has to be paid for by the British taxpayers. It was this information that lead to the reassessment of who should get security in an attempt to reign in the budget.

If the reports are true that Harry and Meghan will cost around 20 million pounds a year that is unsustainable to the British taxpayers. They would prefer that money to be spent on solving and preventing crime in the UK rather than guarding two people who have largely turned their backs on the UK and the institution that made them public. I can see this even being debated in parliament with a lot of opposition to them having this security.

If the reports are true that Harry and Meghan will cost around 20 million pounds a year that is unsustainable to the British taxpayers. They would prefer that money to be spent on solving and preventing crime in the UK rather than guarding two people who have largely turned their backs on the UK and the institution that made them public. I can see this even being debated in parliament with a lot of opposition to them having this security.
If that number is true it will become a nightmare for both the Royal family and the British government. As pointed out in the latest episode of Pod save the Queen there is no way that the British public will accept that cost for three people that are set to make millions on the same travels that will only increase the security costs. It will cost the Royal family popularity and it will cost any government defending the costs votes. Lots of votes.
My bet is that eventually the Sussexes will have to pay for their own security.

When Eugenie was on her gap year and she stayed at a hostel in India it came out the the RPOs (and she had a full detail in those days - 6 with her) weren't staying there. Their award requires that when not on duty that have to be accommodated at a 5 star hotel, with a meal allowance. They also have to fly first class, except for those 'on duty' who will travel in the same class as the principle. It also came out that they had to be replaced every two weeks - so every two weeks 12 first class airfares from the UK to wherever the principle is has to be paid for by the British taxpayers. It was this information that lead to the reassessment of who should get security in an attempt to reign in the budget.

Why on earth does the security need to stay in a 5-star-hotel?!?!?!?
Talking about a waste if money.

That is part of the pay award for the police. It isn't about 'waste of money' but the agreement the police unions have negotiated with their employers across the UK.

I was in London for the Queen's 90th birthday lunch and was myself staying in a five star hotel (a present from my brother for my 60th birthday to have a week in such luxury) ... and a number of the police drafted in from outside of London also stayed there from the Friday (the church service) through to the Monday and they all had single rooms.

This security issue is a very delicate one.
If the government does not want to pay for the security of the Dukes of Sussex, I am sure the Prince of Wales or the Royal House will pay.
Harry and Meghan cannot, under any circumstances, be left without security, as they would be at risk.
It is true that they turned their backs on their parents, but it is not fair that they take unnecessary risks. There are a lot of crazy people out there and it would be very irresponsible to leave them unsafe.

I certainly believe they need some security to start with and can't see anyone but the Government having to pay. But I do wonder if over time the threat will become less in terms of needing full on state paid armed protection and more like Hollywood celebrities with bodyguards to keep paparazzi and fans away and at such a stage the couple could meet the costs out of private sources.

I would still expect they would get police protection during their time/visits to the UK.

Sussex security

If the government does not want to pay for the security of the Dukes of Sussex, I am sure the Prince of Wales or the Royal House will pay.
Harry and Meghan cannot, under any circumstances, be left without security, as they would be at risk.
It is true that they turned their backs on their parents, but it is not fair that they take unnecessary risks. There are a lot of crazy people out there and it would be very irresponsible to leave them unsafe.
Security is something the Sussexes didn't feel they needed to think about. Who will be responsible if an attack or kidnapping happens, who will pay then?

If the security costs are $20 million, the Royal House cannot afford to pay long term.

The main problem is that their security is on full time travel mode right now. The security personnel are likely staying in hotels, they are using rented vehicles, eating all of their meals out. They are probably getting a tonne of OT. I'm sure they swapping crews every few weeks, so that means lots of flight back and forth. It adds up fast.

re: Canadian support

Any Canadian protection would be proved by the RCMP, which are across the country. Our provincial government is located on Vancouver Island, so there would already be officers trained in protection close by. Th

When it comes to the security for the Sussexes, I'm just going to accept whatever is decided by those that are in the position to make that decision. They're the ones that know the risk assessments and how much or how little protection is needed and when.

Even with the latest Sussex statement, details on their security did not go into detail because it risked their security. What we see that seems to be may be a far cry from how things actually are. We're only perhaps concentrating on the cost and thinking in terms of money which actually means zilch when it comes to protecting human lives when it is needed.

Just my thoughts.

If the security costs are $20 million, the Royal House cannot afford to pay long term.

The reported figure is 20 million POUNDS per annum. This would have to be paid for from the budget for the Metropolitan Police in the UK and is unsustainable in the long run. They also have to supply protection for many events and people, as well as day to day policing. This would mean more cuts to a service that has been consistently cut in recent years.

The Royals don't pay for this security but the taxpayers. Security isn't from the Sovereign Grant or the Duchies.

That security figure is higher than Charles' entire income from the Duchy of Cornwall or the Queen's from the Duchy of Lancaster and about half the Sovereign Grant (excluding the costs for the refurbishment of BP).

The taxpayers pay to the government of the UK roughly around 711 *billion* pounds a year. The highest amount paid to a specific channel would be the welfare system.

The Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard gets a certain amount each year and its up to them to allot how it is spent. Just like here in the US, the government (taxpayer) pays for the Secret Service but they cannot dictate how the Secret Service dole out the detail work and to whom and when, where and for how long. .

Disgruntled taxpayers whining about funding the Sussexes will mostly fall on deaf ears and bring about little change in their decisions. However, I'm sure that the Met will keep running tabs on things and should it be deemed that Harry and Meghan no longer need full time RPOs, they'll act accordingly. What happens in Canada may be an entirely different story as its within their jurisdiction.

We'll just have to wait and watch and see what happens.

The reported figure is 20 million POUNDS per annum. This would have to be paid for from the budget for the Metropolitan Police in the UK and is unsustainable in the long run. They also have to supply protection for many events and people, as well as day to day policing. This would mean more cuts to a service that has been consistently cut in recent years.

The Royals don't pay for this security but the taxpayers. Security isn't from the Sovereign Grant or the Duchies.

That security figure is higher than Charles' entire income from the Duchy of Cornwall or the Queen's from the Duchy of Lancaster and about half the Sovereign Grant (excluding the costs for the refurbishment of BP).
I was replying to Blog Real that suggested the Royal House would pay if the Met Police decided to stop paying. I agree that the Windsors wouldn't be able to do this long term..even more since the figure was in pounds and not dollars.

Disgruntled taxpayers whining about funding the Sussexes will mostly fall on deaf ears and bring about little change in their decisions.
"Disgruntled taxpayers whining" managed to get the publicly funded security removed from the York girls. The Royal family and the politicians are very sensitive to public opinion. I predict several "Meghan's publicly funded multi million holiday while Eileen dies alone in a NHS corridor"... Fair? No, not really but since when is the press and public opinion fair. This will become an unwanted hot potato in the lap of everyone involved.

Last edited:

It was their choice to leave Royal life. They cant' expect the tax payer to pay for their security indefinitely, especialy at such a heavy cost.

The taxpayers pay to the government of the UK roughly around 711 *billion* pounds a year. The highest amount paid to a specific channel would be the welfare system.

The Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard gets a certain amount each year and its up to them to allot how it is spent. Just like here in the US, the government (taxpayer) pays for the Secret Service but they cannot dictate how the Secret Service dole out the detail work and to whom and when, where and for how long. .

Disgruntled taxpayers whining about funding the Sussexes will mostly fall on deaf ears and bring about little change in their decisions. However, I'm sure that the Met will keep running tabs on things and should it be deemed that Harry and Meghan no longer need full time RPOs, they'll act accordingly. What happens in Canada may be an entirely different story as its within their jurisdiction.

We'll just have to wait and watch and see what happens.

Disgruntled tax payers? So we have no say at all in how taxes are spent? And we are "whining" because we don't want to pay ?

Disgruntled tax payers? So we have no say at all in how taxes are spent? And we are "whining" because we don't want to pay ?

Just saying that with the big picture, the public, the royal family, the guy that comes to clean out your gutters doesn't have a say. Its totally up to the Met to decide as they're the ones that know the risks and provide security to cover them.

I can't tell my kids that the taxes they pay each year should go directly to fund Social Security and Medicare although I think that's a grand idea. :D

People fund the government through taxes. The government subsidizes public service as they see fit. Public services such as welfare, NHS, Met Police spend it as they see fit.

Just saying that with the big picture, the public, the royal family, the guy that comes to clean out your gutters doesn't have a say. Its totally up to the Met to decide as they're the ones that know the risks and provide security to cover them.

I can't tell my kids that the taxes they pay each year should go directly to fund Social Security and Medicare although I think that's a grand idea. :D

People fund the government through taxes. The government subsidizes public service as they see fit. Public services such as welfare, NHS, Met Police spend it as they see fit.

The Government has a role in what public services will be funded... and as others have pointed out, the reason that security was withdrawn from the York girls was due to a general public and political annoyance that a lot of money was going on tehir security. The public are not going to be wiling to pay massive amounts of money for Harry and Meg to live abroad and not even do any public service.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they be left without security. However, this couple are multi-millionaires and can certainly afford to pay for their own protection. A recent poll here in Canada stated that although we Canadians welcome the Sussexes to live here, 67% did NOT want to pay for their security costs in any way. I think that is why a story in today's news has said that the Canadian part of the bill will be lessened with time. Not sure if this is just 'government speak' to keep the taxpayers protests at bay or not. We shall see.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they be left without security. However, this couple are multi-millionaires and can certainly afford to pay for their own protection. A recent poll here in Canada stated that although we Canadians welcome the Sussexes to live here, 67% did NOT want to pay for their security costs in any way. I think that is why a story in today's news has said that the Canadian part of the bill will be lessened with time. Not sure if this is just 'government speak' to keep the taxpayers protests at bay or not. We shall see.

if they want/need security, they should pay for it. I suspect that it will end with the Canadian govt ending hteir offer..Then ti is back to the UK govt. But it would be as other's have said exceptionally expensve to pay for them to have security living thousands of miles away.. and esp if they travel a lot. So some day I think that they are going to have to bite the bullet and pay for it themselves..

They should have thought about this before they decided to give up their royal duties. There are arguments for and against state-funded security, but the cost was one of the first issues raised by the media and the public when they moved, so why does it not seem to have occurred to Harry and Meghan, or whoever's supposedly advising them. This should all have been sorted out in advance.

In a statement to CBC, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police confirmed that with their change in status in the coming weeks, they would not continue to provide security for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harry-meghan-security-costs-rcmp-canada-1.5478022

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex choosing to relocate to Canada on a part-time basis presented our government with a unique and unprecedented set of circumstances. The RCMP has been engaged with officials in the U.K. from the very beginning regarding security considerations.

"As the Duke and Duchess are currently recognized as Internationally Protected Persons, Canada has an obligation to provide security assistance on an as-needed basis. At the request of the Metropolitan Police, the RCMP has been providing assistance to the Met since the arrival of the Duke and Duchess to Canada intermittently since November 2019. The assistance will cease in the coming weeks, in keeping with their change in status."

Back
Top Bottom