The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Thread now re-opened.

A few points in passing...

The role and policies of the National Rifle Association have no relevance to a discussion about Royal security and those posts have been removed;

Disparaging references to Prince George as "Georgie Porgie" and "an ugly 8-month old" are likely to be counterproductive as they come across as mean-spirited and juvenile;

If the best sources one can produce to back up an argument relating to the British Royal Family are 'MSN PH Entertainment' and 'The Times of India', I'd suggest the argument is already lost.

A big thanks to those members who do put forward their positions in a constructive and rational manner.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Old 04-06-2014, 07:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Security fears at Buckingham Palace after Queen's Guard pulls rifle on would-be intruder who ranted at police before marching towards the gates | Mail Online

This is the picture in question: https://twitter.com/WindsorEditor/st...259585/photo/1

Old 06-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Courtier

SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Queen must pay her own security bill | Mail Online
Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Aristocracy

This is not what I would call a credible article.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Majesty

The following quote from the article suggests that this is based on fact:

Buried away in the Monarch’s annual report is the disclosure that the Queen has agreed to pay for some of her own protection costs.

As this report is in the public domain others would be able to find that same section if they bothered to read the entire report.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I'll have a look at the docs. Dont look at DM so wont have seen it.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Majesty

The report is on the British Monarch Website but I haven't go the time to read it today from beginning to end as it is something like 79 pages.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Aristocracy

As I said earlier, this is not what I would call a credible article, the headline is misleading. I read some of the annual report last night, see page 21.

https://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/Annual%...w%20201314.pdf

[QUOTE]In April 2013 the Royal Household assumed responsibility for the cost of four Access
Control Officers at St James’s Palace and Kensington Palace, who were previously funded by
the Home Office. A further review of access control arrangements at Buckingham Palace in
2013 is expected to result in the Royal Household also taking responsibility for the access
control arrangements at the Royal Mews, Buckingham Palace from the Home Office with
effect from 1 April 2015[QUOTE]
Old 06-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States

What its looking like to me is that even if the Sovereign Grant did get a bit of an increase, so did the payload of what the Queen is responsible for also.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Majesty

True - the Queen has to pay for the security from her budget rather than it being paid for from the budget of the Metropolitan police so she will have to economise elsewhere.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:59 AM
Courtier

I vaguely remember reading the job description of an Access control Officer on the royal household website when one was advertised, as far as I can remember (i've checked and its not there now) the duties were very office based, such as issuing passes, dealing with contractors who need access etc but it emphasized that any issues would be communicated to the police. This is not a person who is protecting the building in the way the Police do but helping to manage the process for people who should be in the Palace (staff, contractors etc). Whilst I can see why the Police have provided people for this in the past I can equally see why the Household would now pay for this. Its not as if they are loosing active police (the police we see patrolling the Palaces now) they are loosing an office based police post and replacing it with a Household post.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Aristocracy

SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Is the Queen paying for her cousin's protection? | Mail Online
Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

They will keep cutting back until there is a burglary, an injury or worse. Then the pointy finger of blame will waggle back and forth between gov. departments.

What is appalling to me is that this information is in the press. Criminals delight!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Royal Highness

If the royal family end up having to pay for their own security, I do hope they don't get dodgy, private security firms looking after them like something out of an old Ealing Comedy. I can see it now - the Queen alighting from the royal car, being helped by a scar-faced ex con come part-time nightclub bouncer with a dodgy eye who insists on referring to Her Majesty as "my old ma" and shoving wads of fivers towards the media to keep them at bay!?

Tags
british royal family, gloucester, kent, kidnapping, minor hrh, royal security, security, terrorism