The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As safe as it is for them to travel in open topped vehicles in any major city. There are crackpots everywhere and their security is as good as it gets short of shutting them inside protective bunkers.
Yeah, I agree with you... There have been threats for royalty / heads of state in every major city I think...

Old 08-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Courtier

I cannot speak for what happens to the BRF abroad, but I do know from my own experience that as soon as a Royal Engagement to anywhere in Britain is confirmed, the Police are involved at a very high level - not just the PPOs.

Senior staff from BP always visit the location beforehand and there is much liaision with the Lord Lieutenant of the County concerned. A senior staff member will 'walk the route' to be undertaken by the Royal at the engagement, and the local police will be responsible for the security of the royal person. Vantage points are minutely inspected in case of snipers, local and national troublemakers / criminals / anarchists who might attend all have tabs 'kept' on them. On the actual day of the visit, uniformed police are out in force. You often see them with their backs to the visiting Royal so that they can watch the crowd for signs of trouble. On the day, 'Sniffer' police dogs turn up to check for bombs. Only people who are officially invited get close enough to the particular royal; their invitations etc are checked and re-checked, just like your papers are checked if you go to BP or Windsor Castle for a party. The only real 'diversion' takes place when the Royal decides to 'go on a walkabout'.

I always notice the Security at Royal Ascot: prior to 2005, the BRF used to mingle much more feely with racegoers; once or twice an afternoon, they used to leave the Royal box and walk up to the Paddock to inspect the runners. The royals were surrounded by household staff and you could also see that the morning-coated party also included plain-clothed policemen [clue: you could seem the transparent wires from their radios snaking into their ears etc]. Things have changed since the modernisation of the course, with (sadly) the BRF NOT walking to the Paddock in the same way - but nevertheless, when the carriage procession arives in the Paddock each year, uniformed police are carefully stationed round the Paddock with their backs to the Royals, carefully watching the crowd. And then there are senior police inspectors watching that the police officers are being diligent in their observations of the crowd.

Short note on Royal visits to British Forces overseas: announcements of visits to particulary sensitive regions are often kept secret until the actual day. The journey is almost always made by air, and planes containing members of the Royal Family fly in what is known as a 'purple corridor', an area of airspace that must be kept clear the whole time - far wider than the normal aircraft spacing...

Hope this helps

Alex

Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Majesty

Thank you so much . As always, very informative.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Nobility

Alex, does this level of security only apply to the very most senior royals? What about the Queen's cousins?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Courtier

What I know about Royal security I have gathered from attendance at royal events and engagments, including the planning stages of some of the latter. I have no 'inside' information, as of course, one of the main aspects of security is to keep the details as secret as possible, releasing them only on a need-to-know basis. However, as I understand it, all Royals who undertake formal royal engagements have personal protection officers and the above-mentioned security arrangements with regard to preparations will apply when any royal undertakes a formal royal engagement. I believe that the Queen and Prince Philip and The Prince of Wales have the tightest security and the greatest number of personal protection officers, and that the less-high profile royals have less. It will also presumably depend on the event; if Princess Alexandra is going to open an old folks' home in leafy hampshire, my common sense tells me that it will be less of a risk, and therefore require less policing than (say) a visit to a deprived area where a strong political protest is scheduled. From my own personal observations at Hampton Court Flower Show this year [a leafy corner of south west london], Camilla was accompanied by minimal security as she toured the show.

Nowadays, I do not think royal security extends down as far as those royals who do not perform official duties. As I understand it, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie have just lost their own personal protection officers. Royal children who are minors [the son and daughter of the Earl and Countess of Wessex] will of course receive police protection as their parents' offspring, if you see what I mean. I do not think that Prince and Princess Michael of Kent have the services of their own personal protection officers, but this is based on my own personal observations and I stand to be corrected: before Ascot racecourse was redeveloped, during Royal Ascot, the Royals used to stroll around in the Royal Enclosure: the Michaels, when going on a little jaunt of their own through the enclosure NEVER seemed to be accompanied; other members of the BRF were always accompanied. I did however once see the queen break away from the household party and her detectives to run up to a friend, who she tapped on the back. I was very impressed by the friend who turned round, saw that it was the Queen who had tapped her on the back and despite the fact that this was an unexpected informal moment, immediately executed a perfect curtsey despite being 'caught on the hop' as it were.

Although I have said that the Michaels don't apper to have their own PPOs, in practice, if they undertake visits etc [I hestitate to refer to them as 'Engagements', because, strictly speaking, the Michaels do not undertake official enagements, nevertheless there will almost always be some sort of police presence when they are out-and-about, even if it is only for crowd-control purposes.

From memory, during the days when the Duchess of Kent undertook Royal duties, when she was ot privately shopping, she did not tend to be accompanied by her PPO.

Royal residences are always well-guarded: police and soldiers at official royal residences such as BP and Windsor and St James' Palace, police at Kensington Palace. The latter is in a very secure part of London anyway, because of all the Embassies and Diplomatic residences in that area. On a personal level, Windsor Castle, which I have visited a number of times for parties, always seems very secure to me - it is all those huge THICK walls, I think!

Finally, I would add that protection is enhanced by the fact that any member of the public who is visiting a royal residence has his or her details checked out in advance and at the gate.

Hope this is of some help,

Alex
Hope this helps

Alex
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 AM
Heir Apparent

So, we want to complain that her (Neanderthal) minder, more used to dealing with "celebrities" rather than royalty, was incredibly rude and disrespectful to Thai Princess Sirivannavari ? Well, Protection Officers are pretty sharp at navigating diplomatic waters and if this is a problem guess whose fault it isn't . . . . . Beatrice's, who by all reports is a very polite young woman.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I think he's a bodyguard, not a protection officer. A protection officer would be more diplomatic IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Well, Protection Officers are pretty sharp at navigating diplomatic waters and if this is a problem guess whose fault it isn't . . . . . Beatrice's, who by all reports is a very polite young woman.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think he's a bodyguard, not a protection officer. A protection officer would be more diplomatic IMO.
That's why I called him a "Minder" with no nous, because he is not from the Protection Squad.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Serene Highness

IMO it doesn't sound real. It does not have an authentic ring to it. I don't think it happened. Somebody made this up to try to reflect badly on the BRF. My opinion.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
IMO it doesn't sound real. It does not have an authentic ring to it. I don't think it happened. Somebody made this up to try to reflect badly on the BRF. My opinion.
If it hadn't been for the fact that Eugenie was walking around London in the wee small hours wearing socks and looking for a taxi, I wouldn't have believed it either.

I don't think the new "Bodyguard" situation is working out for the York girls or for the BRF. In fact, it is a disaster.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

This is a niggling thought Russo has had: What if the BRF is neglecting bodyguards on the York Princesses on purpose to push the Sarah issue of cutting the imbilical cord there??

Or maybe Russo has ingested too much Ibuprofen for the pinched nerve????
Old 10-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

How would that work?
I had thought Beatrice and Eugenie lost their bodyguards months ago, so they shouldn't have any at all. Or perhaps bodyguards and protection officers aren't the same thing?
Old 10-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Complete speculation on Russo's part, wondering if this is how the Firm gets what it wants when it wants the Royals to tow the line.
If you will excuse me, Ibuprofen is calling and the arm must be rested. . .
Old 10-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I know it's speculation, but I don't get the speculation. How would not giving bodyguards to Beatrice and Eugenie allow Sarah to cut the umbilical cord? Surely, no protection would leave room for Sarah to swoop in and 'save her girls'.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Courtier

Ladies, I think that the York girls are now accompanied by private security guards rather than Official Royal Protection Officers.

This means that the bills are not picked up by the taxpayers.

I also have to say that on the evidence reported here, the private security guards seem to be singularly inept. There are various levels of security guard - some are very good indeed, being well-trained ex policemen, some even with experience of working as Royal Protection officers in the past. As soon as I saw the photos the other night of Eugenie waiting in the open whilst transport was found, with the security 'guard' in the background, I knew that the 'guard' was no good at his job.

Similarly, if the reports are true about Beatrice ''snubbing a Thai Princess' because her 'bodyguard' barred the Thai royal's way to Beatrice'', then I feel that the bodyguard has a lot to learn about his work, which includes discretion and also 'people-handling' as well as the more obvious security aspects of the job. If Princess Beatrice did NOT want to meet the Thai Royal, then fair enough, but the matter should have been handled more discreetly by the bodyguard to prevent the story even making the press. This would involve the bodyguard checking BEFOREHAND who was attending [in the way that a Royal Protection Officer would have done] and then either faciliating access if that was what Princess Beatrice wanted, or taking steps to ensure that the Thai Princess was not seen publically either trying to access Princess Beatrice or making the request to do so.......

IMHO, on the evidence of the last few days, I think that the Yorks would be well-advised to find a different supplier of bodyguards.........

Alex
Old 10-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I know it's speculation, but I don't get the speculation. How would not giving bodyguards to Beatrice and Eugenie allow Sarah to cut the umbilical cord? Surely, no protection would leave room for Sarah to swoop in and 'save her girls'.
"You want to work in THE FIRM, you abide by our rules. And get rid of your mother."
That's how I look at it. Again, this is purely speculation on Russo's part.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed. When there are Royal Protection Officers, you know they're there but they don't make the press unless they foil an attack. They are much more professional IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
IMHO, on the evidence of the last few days, I think that the Yorks would be well-advised to find a different supplier of bodyguards.........

Alex
Old 10-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
"You want to work in THE FIRM, you abide by our rules. And get rid of your mother."
That's how I look at it. Again, this is purely speculation on Russo's part.
I too, was baffled, but now this makes sense.

Ibuprofen? tsk tsk. Where is a Schedule III controlled narcotic when you need it?
Old 11-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Seems that Sophie has lost her personal bodyguard, much to her annoyance. I do see where her argument is coming from as she does perform duties on behalf of the Queen and it is annoying to see Beatrice and Eugenie still having one when they don't do anything on behalf of the Queen. I can, however, also see the argument in reducing the number of bodyguards to cut costs. Still, it must be very annoying for Sophie.

Sophie upset as bodyguard axed

"Explains one: “If you invite her to join you at a restaurant you’re also expected to pay for the bodyguard who sits at the next table. If you take her to the theatre you have to fork out for another ticket for him because he has to be next to her. And Sophie isn’t very good at offering to pay you back.”

That, however, I did not know. I did not think about having to pay extra for their bodyguards when they go out on "personal time".
Old 11-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Majesty

This was discussed when Eugenie was on her gap year and was being praised for staying in hostels etc but her bodyguards had to have first class accomodation, when not specifically guarding her (they have at least three doing 8 hour shifts).

Wherever the royal goes the security has to go with them and at have to eat, sleep etc so even though the royal might be roughing it the security still has to be taken care of - and comfortably so that they are able to do their job properly.

Tags
british royal family, gloucester, kent, kidnapping, minor hrh, royal security, security, terrorism