The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Take a investiture for example, whether it's the Queen, Charles, Anne or William, the Royal reads the citation for each person they are giving a gong to beforehand. So when John Smith from Newcastle gets his MBE, the Royal will know it's for beekeeping and can make some small talk. That prep work will take a couple of hours.

Imagine the prep work for a foreign tour where you have to learn about the cultural dos and don'ts, the areas you are visiting, leaders being met, the events that you are doing, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 01-28-2016, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
sadly it won't do anything, if you believe the people commenting on that article. They think Kate is just empty and I don't think anything she does will change that. So sad.

I do think the BRF could step up and change in a lot of ways. Only time will tell, however.
If you remember though, GomdNatt, Kate came into the BRF in 2011 on a wave of public goodwill. It has largely evaporated, IMHO since then.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If you remember though, GomdNatt, Kate came into the BRF in 2011 on a wave of public goodwill. It has largely evaporated, IMHO since then.
That's expected, because opinions for the royal family have it's ups and downs. It's always been that way.

Meanwhile, the royals simply carry on with their duties.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, but surely it's the way Kate tackles those Royal duties, and the number of them, that the commentators on the piece in the KateMiddletonReview were posting on!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:31 PM
Heir Apparent

In the almost 5 yrs of Kate being a Royal, she has had two kids and spent almost a entire year being sick from HG, waiting for baby to be born in late term of pregnancy or recovering from pregnancy. Also because of being pregnant with George and Charlotte, there were 2 years without a foreign tour for Kate. Tours are where the Royal engagement count really can build numbers up.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Skippyboo, I think that's discussed in the article.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Yes, but surely it's the way Kate tackles those Royal duties, and the number of them, that the commentators on the piece in the KateMiddletonReview were posting on!
I think she's tackled her duties very well since becoming a senior royal. One must remember that you can't compare Catherine's official engagements with Sophie and other royals. They have far more responsibility than she do at the moment. Sophie has gained a great deal of patronages, royal duties and now work with the Duke of Edinburgh Awards in the UK and abroad. Those responsibilities alone make her far more busy.

The Duchess of Cambridge's official role as a senior royal are now starting to grow. She's done a great deal though...with royal tours across the UK and Commonwealth, Diamond Jubilee duties and now with a new royal tour around the corner and The Queen's 90th coming up, her official diary is about to become even more busy. Her roles are on it's way to increasing.

Let's not forget that she's a full-time wife and mom. Her life is busy, Curryong. Somehow I think you and others forget that.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-29-2016, 01:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh, I realise that. I had three children (by cesarean section, very ill after my first baby) and held down a responsible full time job in the social services sector as well during that time, a job that I gained straight after university. By the way, I and other married colleagues had to prepare speeches and deliver them at various conferences.

Worked until the last month with each and had three months off on leave afterwards, which I was grateful for. I was also grateful that I had a relative as a caregiver afterwards, though no nanny.

Many of those observing Kate over these last years and commenting on her performance are mums with full time jobs themselves, and packing everything they have to do into a working week. They do know what goes on when you have a family and a job. It's the life experience that many of these women have that informs their view of Kate.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

The interesting comparison to me with Sophie and Kate is the number of official duties done in the year after the birth of their respective first child - Kate did 44, Sophie well over double that.

That has set a large part of the tone I think - Sophie who almost died having Louise managed 173 (she did 185 for the calendar year by my count but 12 were in December so I took those off) while Kate who left hospital the next day after an easy birth with a healthy son from the very beginning managed only 44.

That is a huge difference and says a lot, to many people, about William and Kate's approach to their royal duties and responsibilities.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

William & Catherine worked around his military career too. Edward & Sophie became full-time royals early on. You can't compare their roles to the Cambridge's.

I think people are just being down right unfair to William and Catherine. The problem I had with the royal couple was about them taking on more official roles within the firm, but you can't think they would be doing around the same amount of engagements as Sophie, Anne, Edward, Charles or even Andrew when those royals gained a great deal of responsibility from The Queen, Prince Philip, The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret. If William & Catherine were passed down other roles, they would be doing even more today. The Cambridge's are now attending State events, William is now conducting Investitures, and Prince Philip just handed down a military appointment over to Catherine. Their roles are growing and with The Queen turning 90 and Philip in his mid 90's, the Cambridge's duties are about to increase even more.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-29-2016, 02:48 AM
Heir Apparent

William wasn't serving overseas at any time during his service career. Nor did he need her when he was working. What was stopping Kate from filling up her diary with a few dozens more charitable engagements between 2011 and her early pregnancy period in late 2012? Everyone has to start somewhere and Sophie was also a new Royal once.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
William wasn't serving overseas at any time during his service career. Nor did he need her when he was working. What was stopping Kate from filling up her diary with a few dozens more charitable engagements between 2011 and her early pregnancy period in late 2012? Everyone has to start somewhere and Sophie was also a new Royal once.
They worked around his military career. Catherine was new in her royal role, and she wasnt going to be pushed on the Royal stage without William to help guide her. She has been gradually introduced to her official duties. Catherine was sick during her pregnancies. With doctors advice, she did what she could do while pregnant.

There's more to royal duties than just showing up to engagements and adding tons of patronages to ones list. The Cambridge's have decided to support a list of charities that they can be more engaged with, rather than just racking up patronages to look impressive.

There are more things that go on behind the scenes than one thinks. Just because you don't see them working, does not mean they're not working. That article that was written didn't take a lot of things into consideration. Also, unfair comparisons were made.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-29-2016, 03:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, well we know Sophie works behind the scenes a lot because it's documented. And apparently she was fine about being pushed onto the Royal stage without Edward at times? People look at Kate, at her work ethic, at her awkwardness still in making speeches, in the shortness of her engagements when she does have them etc, and they have reservations, for which they can hardly be blamed.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Is the amount of time Kate spends at her engagements really that different? I've never heard that she spends less time at her engagments than other royals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The interesting comparison to me with Sophie and Kate is the number of official duties done in the year after the birth of their respective first child - Kate did 44, Sophie well over double that.

That has set a large part of the tone I think - Sophie who almost died having Louise managed 173 (she did 185 for the calendar year by my count but 12 were in December so I took those off) while Kate who left hospital the next day after an easy birth with a healthy son from the very beginning managed only 44.

That is a huge difference and says a lot, to many people, about William and Kate's approach to their royal duties and responsibilities.
When comparing those numbers, we should also take into account that Sophie gave birth in November, while Kate gave birth in July. So Kate's maternity leave would have had an impact on her numbers for that year.

William and Harry didn't start doing 90+ engagements until a few years ago, so it's surprising that so many expected Kate to come in and start doing more than them. Plus, it seems kinda pointless to compare numbers between part-time and full-time royals.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Something else I noticed with Sophie that did not occur with any of the other royals I looked at is that Sophie had about 33 engagements that were “held a meeting with X charity”. Other royals had non-public meetings with their patronages as well but not as much as Sophie did. Just based on the numbers, it seems like Sophie works the most with her charities out of the royals I looked into
Does Kate Middleton really visit her patronages less than other royals? | Kate Middleton Review

About a year ago I questioned the large number of meetings Sophie attended. Now I think that maybe some of the other members of the BRF hold meetings with their charities but they are not listed in the CC for some reason.

It would not be the first time a similar event is listed for one member of the BRF and not another.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:36 AM
Heir Apparent

That is why I think the CC really needs a complete overhaul! Also, like some foreign royals, work behind the scenes should be documented for each in the CC, including what was discussed, and with a photograph sometimes. It all leads to greater transparency, and surely that's welcome?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
That is why I think the CC really needs a complete overhaul! Also, like some foreign royals, work behind the scenes should be documented for each in the CC, including what was discussed, and with a photograph sometimes. It all leads to greater transparency, and surely that's welcome?
It would've great if the royals behind the scenes work was documented or at least highlited. They did this for Prince Charles a while back. The videos of him working is up on YouTube. He works until late hours at his desk.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-29-2016, 07:29 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Throughout this entire discussion on the BRF's work numbers and what is seen and unseen and calculated and analyzed and whatever, one thing keeps popping into my mind and that is the fact that none of the BRF are required to do any of the things they do nor do they get paid compensation for doing it. Either the Queen or Charles covers the expenses incurred but in reality, the BRF's "Firm" is a giant non-profit organization for the good of the people and the country and the Crown. They don't punch time cards and they don't collect paychecks and they have no contractual obligations that must be met.

Perhaps instead of focusing on what they don't do, we should be appreciative of what they have done. When we look at the numbers and the events and the tours, what we're seeing is service that is freely given without any expectation of return. To me, that means a lot. It is a fun and interesting past time though to see it all add up in a list though. These are not idle, rich people. They actually care.

Just a different perspective.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Royal Engagements 2015

Quote:

William did serve overseas. He was in the Falklands for several weeks in early 2012. During that time Kate did several solo engagements for her new picked patronages and also kicked off the Diamond jubilee with the Queen and Philip in Leicester. She also did a day of engagements with Charles and Camilla. 2012 had Kate's highest engagement numbers even with George wiping out several engagements in December. Let's see how 2016 plays out especially if Kate doesn't become pregnant again -a full year with no HG or newborns.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

William was in the Falklands for six weeks as part of his training deployment in air sea rescue. What he was doing there didn't interfere at all with what Kate could have done. She wasn't pregnant at that time either and didn't have to work 'around William's military career' while he was away.

I do hope that Kate steps up to the plate more in the next couple of years. I hope so because I'm a monarchist and I want the British monarchy to last beyond Charles. The trouble is, with any career/occupation, and being a Royal is at least partly that, perceptions matter. If you start very slowly with disparate charities and don't move much in the years afterwards, then people get the impression, for better or for worse, that you are unenthusiastic and work shy. Once that perception gets out into the public arena it becomes very hard to shift, IMHO. And it's been nearly five years...