The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2016, 12:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you ILuvBertie. I can imagine it would be interesting if you and Mr. O'Donovan could have the opportunity to discuss how you tally your figures. Do you think Mr. O'Donovan counts "arrivals/departures" that are mentioned in the CC?

Old 01-02-2016, 01:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think so. My figures are higher than his and I don't but then again he might count them and not other things. I do count the 'arrival' IF there is some formal 'welcome' attached to the arrival e.g. 'received by the PM of Australia' but not if it is simply arrived and nothing official happened until later in the tour. The only departures I count are The Queen and Philip when there is a formal send off - as there was when they went to Malta with the High Commissioner from Malta and someone from the UK government officially farewelling them. That was for a State Visit of course but when say Charles and Camilla left for Australia there was no send-off so no count from me.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

One addition to the 'types of engagements' I will be making next year is 'Walking with the Wounded' as Harry does so much for them, or so it appears, so an actual count might show how much is official and how much unofficial (one thing that might have been missed by people this year is that the Duke of Kent also had an engagement with Walking with the Wounded). I have done 'Pitch at the Palace' for Andrew this year so I think it is only fair to add Walking with the Wounded for Harry. It would become totally unwieldy to do this for every single royal and charity but those two simply stand out for me.

If anyone has a 'would really like you to do' for a particular royal - a charity that you really see associated with one particular royal I will think about adding it to the list. I know Anne does a lot for Save the Children for instance along with the Olympics and Charles has The Princes Trust but it would be impossible to really do every charity for every royal but maybe I could focus on one charity for most royals just as a sign of how much they do for one particular charity.

At the moment I have:

Charles - The Princes Trust
Camilla -
William - Tusk
Kate - The Art Room
Harry - Walking with Wounded
Andrew - Pitch@Palace
Edward - Duke of Edinburgh Awards
Sophie -
Anne - Save the Children
Richard -
Birgitte -
Edward - Masonic Associations
Alexandra

If anyone has something for those missing or other suggestions for those where I have an idea please let me know.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Just a few ideas:

For Edward, Duke of Kent, could you choose either The Commonwealth War Graves Commission (this is international and v special) or RNLI (this is a charity which covers all Life Boat stations in UK). Just a thought

Birgitte - Royal Academy of Music

Alexandra - British Red Cross

Duke of Glos - Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem (He's Grand Prior). This is the "ST Johns AMbulance as well as other charitable work

Sophie - International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (she's Global Ambassador)

Camilla - Arthritis Research UK.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

2016 is a Olympic year so Anne is going to more involved with the Olympics this year then a non Olympics year like 2015. Also Charity anniversary also should be considered such as its the 75th anniversary for the RAF air cadets so Kate will probably do more engagements for them in 2016 instead of the Art Room. Kate only had 1 Art Room event last year that I can recall.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't think so. My figures are higher than his and I don't but then again he might count them and not other things. I do count the 'arrival' IF there is some formal 'welcome' attached to the arrival e.g. 'received by the PM of Australia' but not if it is simply arrived and nothing official happened until later in the tour. The only departures I count are The Queen and Philip when there is a formal send off - as there was when they went to Malta with the High Commissioner from Malta and someone from the UK government officially farewelling them. That was for a State Visit of course but when say Charles and Camilla left for Australia there was no send-off so no count from me.
Thank you
Old 01-06-2016, 12:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have chosen the Masonic Associations for the Duke of Kent due to coming from a Masonic Family myself and belonging to an associated order.

I can also do the War Graves Commission as my great-grandfather's grave has been cared for my them for nearly 100 years.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

The Olympics will be covered under Other Sports so no need to put in a special category for a two week event which will see her undertake about 10 - 16 engagements (in 2012 'attended Olympic Games' was how the entry was worded with nothing about how many events and that was for each day).

I am not keen on doing military organisations as such as they military is covered with a number of entries already.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:51 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think you have things pretty well covered. Not sure if this is included already but maybe an area for visits to areas affected by disasters such as Charles has done recently with the flooding of Birkhall? Perhaps Emergency Support?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-06-2016, 02:08 AM
Gentry

Tusk is a good choice for William, but I think that he is focusing more on United4Wildlife. The two are sometimes hard to separate.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

A comparison of the three younger royals' (and specifically Kate) attention to their charities in comparison to older royals like Sophie. Richard Palmer gave
the link on his Twitter page too, stating the stats were 'interesting'. The comments following this are as well. (It's the top article.)

katemiddletonreview
Old 01-28-2016, 08:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
A comparison of the three younger royals' (and specifically Kate) attention to their charities in comparison to older royals like Sophie. Richard Palmer gave
the link on his Twitter page too, stating the stats were 'interesting'. The comments following this are as well. (It's the top article.)

katemiddletonreview
I read it, interesting that there were no mentioning on the amount of work Catherine do behind the scenes, and the meetings and correspondents with her charities. There's more to the royals jobs than just visiting charities.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-28-2016, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

There seems to be a false premis that patronages/charities should take up most of the work. Not true of any of the BRF, not even PoW or Princess Royal

State events and overseas tours (always lots of events crammed in) just don't allow for that.

And (sorry if I'm in repeat mode) if the charity/patronage don't fund many events then there is nothing to attend. Behind scene stuff, as DMAN stated, doesn't get reported.

Its interesting but is only part of the story as it doesn't put into entire context of BRF work or her "part time" status

Old 01-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^Thank you for sharing this information cepe as I know you have been following the engagements and activities of the BRF for decades now.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

It doesn't get reported because how would you? Is Kate going to clock into a time clock and they publish the hours she puts in behind the scenes?

Royal tours and state visits take the majority of time? The royals are gone on state tours maybe 4-8 weeks out of 52 of the year, more if like the jubilee year. There doesn't need to be an 'event'. A tour of the site, meeting with people, attending their meetings. Senior royals average over 300 engagements a year, so there is obviously enough events to fill the time. They get credit for any events when they are over seas. If they are in the UK 46 weeks of the year, minus say 6 weeks for holidays, 40 weeks, they could do at least 2 events a week and get up to 80, plus their tours. Considering these engagements are 2-3 hours most, that leaves plenty of planning and organizing time the rest of the week.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Didn't an EACH worker post though, that Kate had accepted just two of the ten invitations to EACH events the charity had asked her to, in one year?

Also it mentions there that Sophie does sometimes report on her behind the scenes meetings and what's been discussed, though it doesn't usually appear in the CC.

Queen Letizia does this quite a bit and is photographed going to and from meetings. I know the SRF is a very different kettle of fish to the BRF, but IMHO it should be something for BRF royals to consider. Documentation of some meetings/private visits to charities would give a clearer picture, I think, and stop criticism. If there's obviously a lot of work going on behind the scenes then the public should know about it.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Didn't an EACH worker post though, that Kate had accepted just two of the ten invitations to EACH events the charity had asked her too, in one year?

Also it mentions there that Sophie does sometimes report on her behind the scenes meetings and what's been discussed, though it doesn't usually appear in the CC.

Queen Letizia does this quite a bit and is photographed going to and from meetings. I know the SRF is a very different kettle of fish to the BRF, but IMHO it should be something for BRF royals to consider. Documentation of some meetings/private visits to charities would give a clearer picture, I think, and stop criticism. If there's obviously a lot of work going on behind the scenes then the public should know about it.
sadly it won't do anything, if you believe the people commenting on that article. They think Kate is just empty and I don't think anything she does will change that. So sad.

I do think the BRF could step up and change in a lot of ways. Only time will tell, however.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Sophie and Edward report meetings all the time.

Princess Royal never seems to have any but does go to conferences.

The difference is that Anne is "old school" - over 700 charities and she goes to their events. Edward has a lot fewer but meets up with them regularly particularly DoE Awards.

Charles balance is shifting in line with his responsibilities.

The Cambridges don't report any meetings except the Charity Forums and the Foundation. And Charity Forums and foundations like the Princes Trust seems to be the way forward

I'm not rambling, just giving a range of examples to show that even within the BRF its like comparing apples and oranges.

By the way, HMQ doesn't report any mtgs and rarely sees her 600+ charities unless there is a specific anniversary or major event

Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Hate to keep banging the drum about foreign monarchies but don't the Spanish Royal family have mostly large Foundation umbrella organisations rather than a plethora of small charities/organisations?

That approach makes everything very much more specific, cutting edge, modern and focused, but, if you only concentrate on a comparatively few charities then it's quite easy to fall into lazy habits I would think, which is why I think reports of background work a la the Wessexes, is a good idea.

If that is the way the BRF is to go then the hard yards have to really be put in behind the scenes. That is, if you are not 'old school'. I don't think Charles or Anne have ever been accused of being idle!
Old 01-28-2016, 10:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
sadly it won't do anything, if you believe the people commenting on that article. They think Kate is just empty and I don't think anything she does will change that. So sad.

I do think the BRF could step up and change in a lot of ways. Only time will tell, however.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you GomdNatt. There are too many who are unwilling to consider any other opinion.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Catherine and other royals are always busy with meetings with their staff, officials from their charities and other organizations. They're never really "idle" but unfortunately a lot isn't reported on and photographed. Also, let's not forget Catherine is a busy wife and mother. Catherine isn't just sitting around painting her nails and playing with her hair.

It would be wonderful if the royals official royal duties behind the scenes were at least pictured and reported on. It would give people a great deal of insight on the hard work the royals put in. The royal officials need to make some adjustments on how the royals work is documented and reported on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS