Royal Education

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocketmom

Aristocracy
City
Springfield
Country
United States
Prince William will be the first monarch to attend University, followed by Beatrice and Eugenie. I'm curious as to how degrees are conferred in U.K. In the United States, we have elementary school through approximately age 10. Junior High is age 11-13. High School for age 14-18. After high school one can get a 2 year associates degree, a 4 year Bachelor's degree, then add another 2 years for a Master's degree and finally a PhD which is called a Doctorate. Of course the ages I cited are approximate. How do degrees work in U.K? For instance a recent item said Eugenie has a 2:1 in English literature. Exactly what does that signify? How does it compare to the U.S. version?

Have any other royals attended university?

Hope it wasn't improper for me to start a new thread.

Actually Prince Charles attended University, as did Edward VII.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most royals have attended university Charles, Edward and Andrew, William, Zara, Peter, Beatrice and Eugenie plus a wide range of cousins and second cousins.

Usually we have 7 years of primary education, 5 years in secondary, 2 years of college or sixth form then either 3 or 4 years of a university degree depending on your chosen subject. The you can choose to do a masters or a pHD afterwards and that can take a number of years.

Our degree systems are quite similar except yours are categorised into subjects eg Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science etc whereas ours are split into how high our degree is and a specific subject.

The honours are usually categorised into four classes:

First class honours (1st)
Second class honours, divided into:
Upper division, or upper second (2:1)
Lower division, or lower second (2:2)
Third class honours (3rd)

William and Henry have their own education thread.

Actually Prince Charles attended University, as did Edward VII.
I see that they attended but did they earn a degree? (I'm not sure if I'm stating this correctly for the UK university system.)

I see that they attended but did they earn a degree? (I'm not sure if I'm stating this correctly for the UK university system.)

He graduated from Cambridge with a 2:2 Bachelor of Arts degree after reading anthropology, archaeology and history. He went to the University College of Wales for a term to study Welsh History and Language. Edward VIII left Oxford after 8 terms with no qualifications.

Most royals have attended university Charles, Edward and Andrew...
Prince Andrew did not attend University, only Charles and Edward did.

Our degrees are categorised as Ba and BSc as well are they not, as my degree is a BSc (with Hons).

Prince Andrew did not attend University, only Charles and Edward did.

Our degrees are categorised as Ba and BSc as well are they not, as my degree is a BSc (with Hons).

Indeed, I was reading Edwards wiki page and it said "university like his older brothers". Mine is a BA History, what I meant was that it's followed by a subject and number and USA Degres are grouped into Bachelor of Arts, Science etc with no specific subject or number. :flowers:

Indeed, I was reading Edwards wiki page and it said "university like his older brothers". Mine is a BA History, what I meant was that it's followed by a subject and number and USA Degres are grouped into Bachelor of Arts, Science etc with no specific subject or number. :flowers:

Ahhhhhh, I understand now. :)

Edward VII attending Oxford, Cambridge and one Scottish university for a couple of terms at each leaving with no degrees or other qualifications.

Edward VIII and George VI - also attended university for a term or two after WWI and again received no qualifications from that experience.

Charles was the first in line to the throne to attend university when he went to Cambridge. Edward also earned a degree from Cambridge. Neither Anne nor Andrew went to university as both had other interests - Anne her equestrian career and Andrew knew he wanted to go into the navy and did so straight from school.

Of The Queen's adult grandchildren, all of them, except Harry who didn't get the grades necessary, attended and graduated from university.

Peter's degree is in Sports Science from Exeter university,
Zara's is in Equine Physiotherapy also from Exeter,
William in Geography from St Andrews,
Beatrice in History and History of Ideas from Goldsmiths and
Eugenie in English Literature and History of Art.

Quite a number of the extended royal family have also attended university and earned degrees:

Lord Linley didn't attend university but did attend College to study craftsmanship in wood
Sarah Chatto attended Middlesex Polytechnic which is now Middlesex University
The Duke of Gloucester is a qualified architect having studied at Cambridge University - Magdelene College.
His older brother, Prince William of Gloucester also graduated from Magdelene College, Cambridge in History.

In the next generation it is normal for the extended family members to attend university unless they don't get the grades to get in.

Sarah Chatto also graduated from Camberwell School of Art - she is a professional painter.

Thank you to everyone who has helped to answer my question.:)

Of The Queen's adult grandchildren, all of them, except Harry who didn't get the grades necessary, attended and graduated from university.

I didn't realise that Harry did not achieve the grades. I am glad he has done well for himself though.

Although it may be true that IF Harry had wanted to go to university, his grades would not have been sufficient, there was never the intention. He was always going straight into the army. He is obviously smart enough to pass the exams at Sandhurst and the necessary written and aptitude tests to fly Apache.

He had to repeat a grade to get into Eton to begin with and was never going to get the grades for university. He took 18 months off after school before going to Sandhurst and although never stated I suspect that part of that was to coach him for the entrance to Sandhurst. He also needed additional help to pass the Maths component of the exams for flying as he didn't pass at least one of the tests the first time.

What we don't know is whether he actually did want to go to uni but realised quite early on that he didn't have the ability to do so and so decided on the army as the first option or whether that was always going to be the case. We do know that Sandhurst prefers university educated graduates.

How do you know all that stuff about his education? I'm not doubting you, but I've never come across any of that - so what is the source?

Various press reports dating back throughout his life.

The repeating came in 1998 - he was due to go to Eton the year after Diana died but had to repeat to pass the entrance test as they knew he wouldn't pass it the first time. When Diana died he was about to enter what was to be his last year before going to Eton but he did two more years there to increase his chances of passing those exams.

There were reports while he was at Sandhurst that he needed additional coaching for some of the Maths (not him alone mind you) and then further reports that he needed more help while doing the helicopter training.

Even Diana said that Harry had her brains - i.e. he didn't have many book brains although he did do a lot better at school than she did (not hard mind you).

WEll there are "bright" people out there that are completely rubbish academically - and he cant be completely dumb to do what he does in the military. Although it does limit his options in the future.

Intellectual differences between couples can increase pressure on relationships.

Hasn't he recently (like in the last year) said that he's dyslexic? That would account for a lot of Harry's problems in school.

^^^
Never heard anything about that .

I have never heard that Harry is dyslexic. It was announced when Beatrice was about 8 that she was. If Harry was dyslexic it would have been announced - unless Diana and Charles were ashamed of being the parents of a child with that problem while Andrew and Sarah weren't. I have no doubts that if Harry had that problem then he it would have been announced.

Googled it too and its everywhere. It may have taken time to discover it and then his Mother died.

To be fair Iluvbertie I never read about all that stuff you wrote about Harrys exam results so maybe you didnt get a chance to read about this.

I have never heard that Harry is dyslexic. It was announced when Beatrice was about 8 that she was. If Harry was dyslexic it would have been announced - unless Diana and Charles were ashamed of being the parents of a child with that problem while Andrew and Sarah weren't. I have no doubts that if Harry had that problem then he it would have been announced.

I remember when he made the statement about the dyslexia. It meant a lot to my daughter who was 10 at the time and had just been diagnosed with dyslexia. She had to change schools and had been feeling ' dumb'. Since then she's a Harry fan-- someone else has this. She's doing great now at a college prep. High school.

There are several royals who are dyslexic.
Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, Princess Beatrice of the United Kingdom, Princess Victoria of Sweden, Prince Louis of Luxembourg, King Juan Carlos of Spain and there is more, now I am not remembering.
That's a problem that people can deal with, often people have this problem and don't even know it.
I don't remember reading about Prince Harry being dyslexic...

There are several royals who are dyslexic.
Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, Princess Beatrice of the United Kingdom, Princess Victoria of Sweden, Prince Louis of Luxembourg, King Juan Carlos of Spain and there is more, now I am not remembering.
That's a problem that people can deal with, often people have this problem and don't even know it.
I don't remember reading about Prince Harry being dyslexic...

Apprarently he is....

Unlike the late Olav V of Norway, King Carl Gustav's of Sweden's dyslexia has come in for a degree of mockery because he's not overly popular. His daughter Victoria has talked about her difficulties with school (and she has face-blindness, an additional struggle). Apparently all three of CG's kids (Victoria, Carl Philip, and Madeleine) have dyslexia.

Prince Emmanuel of Belgium also has unspecified learning issues for which he has attended a different school.

If Harry has dyslexia, it certainly hasn't been discussed to the degree you would think. Least of all by Harry.

If Harry has dyslexia, it certainly hasn't been discussed to the degree you would think. Least of all by Harry.

Just googled it and apparently he is quoted as saying he was dyslexic when he was 22. I don't remember anything about it and it hasn't been brought up very much over the years, especially in comparison to him opening up about his mental health struggles and things like the importance of getting an AIDS test. There's more on Beatrice talking about it.

It would not have been an obstacle to joining the Army if he passed the applicable tests.

Perhaps the family kept it quieter not out of shame but for privacy when their lives were already being examined from every single angle as children.

Interesting article from May 1997:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Dyslexia+fears+over+Prince+Harry.-a061133935

Allegedly Radley in Abingdon, Oxfordshire was being considered as an alternative to Eton, but it's still got an academic reputation.

Last edited:
He's certianly mentioned it.. but why should it be discussed? Unless it gives inspiration to people with dyslexia. And Harry has done a lot of things in the past years that will be talked about...

So why not mention it? Why not give Bea a hand with her patronages in the past? Why not talk about how it's been a struggle for him? He's been willing to share his awful traumas and the mental health problems that came from that. He could have been hugely inspiring to kids who have trouble at school. But for some reason it's just been left ambiguous. Even now, when he seeks activism and sympathy, it's never brought up. It's puzzling.

Back
Top Bottom