The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

A couple of years ago might be an exaggeration, but Sophie shared a story in the spring that Louise didn't realize that her grandmother was the Queen (and that that was something special) until after she had started school. Sophie and Edward deliberately made the choice to keep their children out of the royal spotlight.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'd be really hard pressed to believe that George at three would understand and recognize his grandmother's role as Queen. He's basically seen her as Gan-Gan. With getting a little bit older and branching out into the world with school and school mates, it will become more self evident to him just what his Gan-Gan's role really is. A child is more apt to see a parent as "Daddy" rather than see that parent as a physicist or a accountant until he's older.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This, to me, is part of something every father is proud to see. Descendants carrying on his name which, IIRC, was a sore point for the DoE there for a while. Once Edward is created the Duke of Edinburgh, that title will also be passed down from Philip to his male descendants through Edward and James. So, to me, it makes sense that for now Edward is Earl of Wessex. These plans were drawn up at the time of the wedding I believe. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it will be Edward that carries on the work with the Duke of Edinburgh Award too.
Philip's title will go to Charles, when he dies. ANd I think ti would be better to let that happen and then let the title be free perhaps for Harry when he marries or reaches a maturity stage... However they seem to have settled it as it is.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Philip's title will go to Charles, when he dies. ANd I think ti would be better to let that happen and then let the title be free perhaps for Harry when he marries or reaches a maturity stage... However they seem to have settled it as it is.

The decision of the Queen and the DoE is that when they are both gone and the title has been merged with the crown it will be recreated for Edward. This has been discussed at great length in the thread regarding the future of the title and was announced on Edward's marriage 17 years ago.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:22 PM
Serene Highness

Yes I know. Edward will be D of Edinburgh some day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
A couple of years ago might be an exaggeration, but Sophie shared a story in the spring that Louise didn't realize that her grandmother was the Queen (and that that was something special) until after she had started school. Sophie and Edward deliberately made the choice to keep their children out of the royal spotlight.
I find that hard to believe. Perhaps George at 2 or 3 doesn't know his great Grandmother is the queen but Louise?
Old 09-24-2016, 01:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I find that hard to believe. Perhaps George at 2 or 3 doesn't know his great Grandmother is the queen but Louise?
No one is saying that Louise doesn't know now. What is being said by her mother - a woman who, unlike any of us, actually knows Louse - is that Louise didn't always know, and it wasn't until she was in school that she found out.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Found out or realised??

I suspect that Louise didn't put two and two together. To her The Queen is 'granny' and not the same person on the coins, stamps etc. When she went to school that started to become more obvious until such time as she fully comprehended that her beloved 'granny' was The Queen to everyone else and when they all sang the National Anthem they were singing to save her granny.

I remember reading that Edward VII didn't realise until he was about 11 or 12 that he was his mother's heir. He knew his mother was The Queen by then of course but that he was the heir took longer. Charles seems to have understood earlier.

Kids come to a realisation of the world about them at different ages.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
No one is saying that Louise doesn't know now. What is being said by her mother - a woman who, unlike any of us, actually knows Louse - is that Louise didn't always know, and it wasn't until she was in school that she found out.
I didn't say that Louise didn't know now.. but I find it hard to believe that she didn't know before she went to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Found out or realised??

I
I remember reading that Edward VII didn't realise until he was about 11 or 12 that he was his mother's heir. He knew his mother was The Queen by then of course but that he was the heir took longer. Charles seems to have understood earlier.

Kids come to a realisation of the world about them at different ages.
The story was about Edward VII as I recall that he thought that Victoria, his elder sister was the heir... which wasn't entirely unfeasible, since his mother was queen regnant and Ed himself wasn't overly clever.
Anyway, these stories are usually spun, in terms of "showing us how innocent or unworldly the royal child is."
Old 09-24-2016, 03:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
And I'm pretty sure of the exact opposite. Edward does fantastic work with his father and he almost deserves that title when his father passes. [...].
Prince Edward will never receive his father's title, as the 2nd Duke of Edinburgh. He is just the number six in the line for his father's peerages. The only possibility for him to become Duke of Edinburgh is by new creation. He will then become the first Duke of the new creation instead of being his father's heir.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Remotely slim chance of Edward inheriting his father's title does exist. IF Charles, William, George, Harry and Andrew were all to predecease Philip then Edward would inherit it. There is more chance of Harry admittedly but never isn't true as there is a very, very slim possibility.

Quote:
The story was about Edward VII as I recall that he thought that Victoria, his elder sister was the heir... which wasn't entirely unfeasible, since his mother was queen regnant and Ed himself wasn't overly clever.
Anyway, these stories are usually spun, in terms of "showing us how innocent or unworldly the royal child is."
Why he believed that Vicky would inherit over him isn't the point. The point was that he didn't realise it until he was nearly a teenager and actually had to be told it by his tutor (who records the facts in his diaries and in a letter to a family member at the time - so not a piece of spin but a fact).

Edward was way more clever than he was given credit for by his father and teachers. Had he been in a modern school he would have been encouraged to study subjects, such as Modern History, in which he was interested rather than Ancient History for which he had no interest at all. Napoleon III was very impressed by his knowledge of the Napoleonic Wars whereas his father and tutor despaired of him because he couldn't understand the Persian Wars but didn't value his knowledge of more recent conflicts. This is just an example.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've deleted some back and forth bickering about whether Edward VII knew he was the heir. That conversation is just going around in circles, so let's move on. And just a reminder, please remember to treat your fellow posters with respect.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Remotely slim chance of Edward inheriting his father's title does exist. IF Charles, William, George, Harry and Andrew were all to predecease Philip then Edward would inherit it. There is more chance of Harry admittedly but never isn't true as there is a very, very slim possibility.

Why he believed that Vicky would inherit over him isn't the point. The point was that he didn't realise it until he was nearly a teenager and actually had to be told it by his tutor (who records the facts in his diaries and in a letter to a family member at the time - so not a piece of spin but a fact).

Edward was way more clever than he was given credit for by his father and teachers. Had he been in a modern school he would have been encouraged to study subjects, such as Modern History, in which he was interested rather than Ancient History for which he had no interest at all. Napoleon III was very impressed by his knowledge of the Napoleonic Wars whereas his father and tutor despaired of him because he couldn't understand the Persian Wars but didn't value his knowledge of more recent conflicts. This is just an example.

Modern historians seem to highlight Edward's personal influence on the creation of the entente cordiale with France, the rapprochement with Russia, and the consequent distancing between the UK and Germany. At the time, the King was hailed as a peacemaker, but, in retrospect, his foreign policy probably accelerated the path towards World War I, rather than preventing it. I am not sure how to judge his legacy then.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

I have a horrible feeling that that war was inevitable..
Edward's intention was certainly to make peace.. NOt sure how much he really did other than oil the wheels of diplomacy and follow the Brit govt's policy..
But I dotn believe he was any Einstein.. So I'm surprised that historians are saying he had a real role in the various things like the Entente cordiale.

Tags
dukedom, royal dukes, styles and titles