The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Royal Highness

Somehow I find it unjust that Edward should become Duke of Edinburgh after his parents' demise. He has so far shown not much interest in Scotland. I personally would prefer it if Charles created a new dukedom for his little brother and granted Edinburgh to his sister in her own right. The Princess Royal would make a wonderful Duchess of Edinburgh! It seems unfair that Louis Mountbatten's daughter could inherit her father's title but Philip Mountbatten's daughter can't.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn
Somehow I find it unjust that Edward should become Duke of Edinburgh after his parents' demise. He has so far shown not much interest in Scotland. I personally would prefer it if Charles created a new dukedom for his little brother and granted Edinburgh to his sister in her own right. The Princess Royal would make a wonderful Duchess of Edinburgh! It seems unfair that Louis Mountbatten's daughter could inherit her father's title but Philip Mountbatten's daughter can't.
Different circumstances. Edward deserves that title, and exactly what has the current Duke done for Edinburgh?

Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Different circumstances. Edward deserves that title, and exactly what has the current Duke done for Edinburgh?
Why do you think Edward deserves the title and not Anne? Charles as the eldest cannot hold the title once he is king, but why should it not go to the next sibling, when she is so much more attached to Scotland than her youngest brother?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn

Why do you think Edward deserves the title and not Anne? Charles as the eldest cannot hold the title once he is king, but why should it not go to the next sibling, when she is so much more attached to Scotland than her youngest brother?
Never said Anne didn't deserve it, but for all the work that Edward has done in connection with that title he deserves it. Like I asked, why does it have to go with who has a greater connection? Philip had and still hasn't got a connection to Edinburgh it was just the title he was given.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

I think a key matter in the decision regarding Edward becoming Duke of Edinburgh is continuity. h. A previous contributor mentioned legacy and I think this is important to a man who gave up so much, including not passing his name on to his children. Anne has refused titles for her family through her decision at the time of her wedding so I don't believe it would be of interest. Her hard work has been rewarded through being given the title of Princess Royal, Order of the Garter, Thistle etc.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Maybe its my imagination but I did do a little digging on this one (I don't trust Wiki solely because we all know that sometimes its as trustworthy as the Daily Mail)

I was under the belief that when Edward married it was announced that in the future, the plan was to create him the Duke of Edinburgh for his support he has done over the years with the Duke of Edinburgh Award. IIRC, this is one of the DoE's main patronages and if he is going to be slowing down more and more, I expect Edward will come more to the forefront with activities surrounding this award.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Maybe its my imagination but I did do a little digging on this one (I don't trust Wiki solely because we all know that sometimes its as trustworthy as the Daily Mail)

I was under the belief that when Edward married it was announced that in the future, the plan was to create him the Duke of Edinburgh for his support he has done over the years with the Duke of Edinburgh Award. IIRC, this is one of the DoE's main patronages and if he is going to be slowing down more and more, I expect Edward will come more to the forefront with activities surrounding this award.
The announcement the Duke of Edinburgh title will eventually go to Prince Edward was indeed made at the time of his wedding.
How that will happen is an entirely different question; I suggest you to have a look at this thread.

Like you, I also always thought Prince Edward and Sophie's strong involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme had to with the fact that particular title will eventually be his.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
The announcement the Duke of Edinburgh title will eventually go to Prince Edward was indeed made at the time of his wedding.
How that will happen is an entirely different question; I suggest you to have a look at this thread.

Like you, I also always thought Prince Edward and Sophie's strong involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme had to with the fact that particular title will eventually be his.
I was merely stating why I believed he would be created the Duke of Edinburgh when the time comes. I gives credence to why it would go to Edward rather than someone else in the family.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I was merely stating why I believed he would be created the Duke of Edinburgh when the time comes. I gives credence to why it would go to Edward rather than someone else in the family.
I should have read more carefully.
As I already said in the second part of my post, I agree with your reasoning.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Courtier

IIRC Prince Edward has done lots of work on behalf of the DoE Awards Scheme for years prior to his wedding - my first recollection is from the much maligned "It's a Royal Knockout" that he, Anne, Andrew and Sarah were apart of that Edward had a hand in bringing about.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope View Post
IIRC Prince Edward has done lots of work on behalf of the DoE Awards Scheme for years prior to his wedding - my first recollection is from the much maligned "It's a Royal Knockout" that he, Anne, Andrew and Sarah were apart of that Edward had a hand in bringing about.
Edward also participated in the Gold Award too.

From the British Monarchy website:

Prince Edward started his Gold Award while at Gordonstoun School and completed it at Cambridge University. His expedition component involved planning and executing, with a group, a 60-mile, four-day trek from Blair Atholl to Tomintoul through the Cairngorms. Like all Award expeditions, it was supervised but unaccompanied.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Royal Highness

I know about the DoE-Awards scheme and what Edward does for it. Still I don't see the need for Edward to become the next DoE - as eg The Duke of Suffolk he could as well chair the DoE-Awards in honour of his father.

But I don't know how much times have changed within Royal circles. Yes, Anne did not want a noble title for her husband but then I wasn't thinking about that but about a title for herself. A real one, not just a flimsy girlish thing like Princess Royal. When it is decided that William and Catherine's firstborn will be king or queen, no matter what the gender - isn't that the right time to give a Royal peerage to a princess who has done so much for her country? A peerage her older brother can't hold himself, but she can? Why bypass her for her younger brother? Because she is "only" a woman?
I would like Charles to decide against his parents wish and go for Anne!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

He can't go for Anne without issuing entirely new LPs. And exactly why should Edward be deprived of a title he's been promised for years? On another note, the guy isn't going to be given a title in replace of Edinburgh eg, Suffolk. The Princess Royal title is not girly, it's well deserved and a true honour for Anne to hold.
If people had their way Anne would be Queen, when Charles deserves it much more.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
He can't go for Anne without issuing entirely new LPs. And exactly why should Edward be deprived of a title he's been promised for years? On another note, the guy isn't going to be given a title in replace of Edinburgh eg, Suffolk. The Princess Royal title is not girly, it's well deserved and a true honour for Anne to hold.
If people had their way Anne would be Queen, when Charles deserves it much more.
He need to issue new LP for a new creation of the Edinburgh-title anyway. And why should not Prince Philip's first grandson inherit his title after his mother?
I don't think people would want Anne to become the next souverain, she is after all younger than Charles. Even if they are for gender equality, Charles still is the firstborn. Bit if Charles recreates the Edinburgh-title after his ascension and his father's death (whatever comes last), why not for the next sibling in the order of age?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
He need to issue new LP for a new creation of the Edinburgh-title anyway. And why should not Prince Philip's first grandson inherit his title after his mother?
I don't think people would want Anne to become the next souverain, she is after all younger than Charles. Even if they are for gender equality, Charles still is the firstborn. Bit if Charles recreates the Edinburgh-title after his ascension and his father's death (whatever comes last), why not for the next sibling in the order of age?
Why go back on what had already been announced? Why put the new King Charles III in the position of denying what had already been promised and being seen to publically ignore his parents wishes? That would not be the best way to start off the new reign. Why grant a hereditary peerage to The Princess Royal when she had already stated her wish for her own children to be titleless private citizens?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Bit if Charles recreates the Edinburgh-title after his ascension and his father's death (whatever comes last), why not for the next sibling in the order of age?
After watching Charles' tribute to his mother, it is very plain to see that he loves and honors both of his parents. I have no doubt in my mind that he will create the title Duke of Edinburgh for Edward solely for the reason that it is his parent's wish that it happen this way.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I know about the DoE-Awards scheme and what Edward does for it. Still I don't see the need for Edward to become the next DoE - as eg The Duke of Suffolk he could as well chair the DoE-Awards in honour of his father.

But I don't know how much times have changed within Royal circles. Yes, Anne did not want a noble title for her husband but then I wasn't thinking about that but about a title for herself. A real one, not just a flimsy girlish thing like Princess Royal. When it is decided that William and Catherine's firstborn will be king or queen, no matter what the gender - isn't that the right time to give a Royal peerage to a princess who has done so much for her country? A peerage her older brother can't hold himself, but she can? Why bypass her for her younger brother? Because she is "only" a woman?
I would like Charles to decide against his parents wish and go for Anne!
It is not a flimsy girlish thing - it is not automatic and only the Sovereign can award it. Princess Anne is very proud of receiving this title which has high status in the Royal Family.

And there is certainly nothing flimsy or girlish about the Princess and if she wanted a title, she would ask and, I think, get it. But she wouldn't want either her parents or Prince Charles to break a promise

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Royal Highness

The title of Princess Royal is one of the least flimsy titles I know, in fact I'd rather be made the Princess Royal than given any kind of dukedom. It's a very big honour.

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Gentry

Did I read somewhere recently that Princess Anne turned down her own duchy?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenafran View Post
Did I read somewhere recently that Princess Anne turned down her own duchy?
Unless it was some very far out magazine, I haven't heard the story. Anne has never been offered one, and Mark was offered an Earldom which he turned down.

Tags
dukedom, royal dukes, styles and titles