The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Actually, the Duke of Gloucester's country house is in Northamptonshire, which means he's one of the only royals who doesn't have a home in Gloucestershire!

Old 11-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Elspeth..is that where Barnwell Manor is located? I thought that was sold.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Nobility

I've remembered that the royal Dukedom of Sussex is not held by anyone at present, too.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
No
No. There are no lands or investments connected to the titles.
Not sure, but I don't think so. If they do, it would be entirely coincidental.
thank you so much for answering my questions!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Royal Highness

I think the chances of Andrew having another child, let alone a son, is pretty much zero, so the York dukedom would revert back to the crown.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
I think the chances of Andrew having another child, let alone a son, is pretty much zero, so the York dukedom would revert back to the crown.
well I would agree that in all likelihood Andew won't have another son. but if say, Beatrice had been a boy, she/he would have been the next duke of York.

I'm asking because the Dukedom of York is traditionally associated with the Monarch's second son. is this just the result of luck that a lot of second son's didn't pass their title on to male offspring and the dukedom kept reverting back to the crown?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
well I would agree that in all likelihood Andew won't have another son. but if say, Beatrice had been a boy, she/he would have been the next duke of York.

I'm asking because the Dukedom of York is traditionally associated with the Monarch's second son. is this just the result of luck that a lot of second son's didn't pass their title on to male offspring and the dukedom kept reverting back to the crown?
I don't think that it can be called 'luck'... Aside from the first creation, every time the Dukedom of York has been created it has had only one occupant. The Dukes of York either ascend the throne or leave no male heirs.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Aristocracy

Wow, this topic was more popular than I expected!

Speaking of the Duke of Cambridge, I remember it was widely expected that that would be the title bestowed on Prince Edward upon his marriage.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma

Actually, no, if Beatrice had a son he would not have any title save she married a man with a title or a prince.

Dukedoms do not skip father - daughter - grandson, unless the sovereign makes a special case as in the case of the Duke of Fife. Maud was Duchess of Fife in her own right and the title passed to her son.

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

Letters Patent of 24 April 1900 granted a second Dukedom of Fife with a special remainder that allowed the title to pass to the daughters of the first Duke, in default of a son, and then to the male heirs of those daughters. The title passed to the first Duke's elder daughter, Her Highness Princess Alexandra of Fife (nee Lady Maud Duff). Since Princess Alexandra's only son, Alastair Arthur Windsor, 2nd Duke of Connaught, had predeceased her, the dukedom passed to her nephew, Lord Carnegie, the son of Charles Carnegie, 11th Earl of Southesk, and his wife, Princess Maud, Countess of Southesk. The present Duke of Fife is a female-line great grandson of Edward VII and a member of the extended British Royal Family. His heir apparent is David Charles Carnegie, Earl of Southesk.
The Dukedom of Fife was the last dukedom created in the Peerage of the United Kingdom, except for those created for sons of the Sovereign.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Elspeth..is that where Barnwell Manor is located? I thought that was sold.
I gather it's rented, not sold. It's being occupied by an antique dealer at the moment, but as far as I know he's renting it from the Duke.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Id like to see Prince William become Duke of Clarence (aside from Crownwall) and Prince Henry Duke of Sussex
Old 11-16-2005, 03:27 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Is Clarence automatically linked to Avondale or can Avondale be a seperate dukedom. The same question for Strathearn, which has only been used as secundairy tdukedom of the dukes of Cumberland (Henry Frederic), Kent (Victoria's father) and Connaught. The wife of the Duke of Susses was created Duchess of Iverness, is this a royal dukedom as well? I always found it perfect for Camilla.

What happens to Ducal titles of nobles. Do they go to the crown as well when a family gets extinct? For example the Duchy of Buckingham?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
Probably I have made some mistake but, as far as I can see, there is an unbroken line of male descent in the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family.
You didn't make any mistake, the heirs of the Duke of Albany are still very much alive and descent from him in the male line. So the present duke Andreas is entitled would be the 'claimant' to this title (or Hubertus of Sexe-Coburg, who doesnt have german titles as his grandfathers marriage was morganatic. As the british RF does not know morganatic marriages he could be a 'claimant' as well).
Old 11-16-2005, 05:36 AM
Royal Highness

If a duke dies without leaving male issue, does the dukedom go to any other son who is the closest male from descended from the male line? how does it work?! how far back do you go?! if such a situation is possible so a pauper could become a duke.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
If a duke dies without leaving male issue, and his grandfatrher lets say had a brother who has a son/grandson, does the dukedom go to him or to any other son descended from the male line? how does it work?! how far back do you go?! if such a situation is possible so a pauper could become a duke.
It works just as you have posted. For some peerages, it has taken years of research and checking before the rightful successor is determined. I believe the current Duke of Manchester is a gardener.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
It works just as you have posted. For some peerages, it has taken years of research and checking before the rightful successor is determined. I believe the current Duke of Manchester is a gardener.
Do they inherit anything besides being called "your Grace" Do no assets come with the dukedom?!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
Do they inherit anything besides being called "your Grace" Do no assets come with the dukedom?!
It depends on how rich or poor the previous Duke was, and what his will says. Just like everybody else!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Is Clarence automatically linked to Avondale or can Avondale be a seperate dukedom. The same question for Strathearn, which has only been used as secundairy tdukedom of the dukes of Cumberland (Henry Frederic), Kent (Victoria's father) and Connaught. The wife of the Duke of Susses was created Duchess of Iverness, is this a royal dukedom as well? I always found it perfect for Camilla.

What happens to Ducal titles of nobles. Do they go to the crown as well when a family gets extinct? For example the Duchy of Buckingham?
Erm... the first question is simultaneously simple and difficult. Avondale is not linked with Clarence in any way except historical, however the 'pure' Clarence title, Earl of Clarence, is suspended along with the Dukedom of Albany, so I presume that the new creation of the dukedom will be in the form of 'Clarence and Such-and-Such'. Strathearn has never been a separate dukedom, that's true. The Inverness title at present belongs to the Duke of York, who is also the Earl of Inverness.

The extinct titles of nobility go to the Crown and are available for a new grant.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Thanks Mapple. So the last thing you say means that the queen could use old, extinct dukedoms as Newcastle, Buckingham and Portland (now only an earldom) to her own family?
There is still a Marquess of Cambridge, isn't there? Would it still be possible to make another relative Duke of Cambridge?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Thanks Mapple. So the last thing you say means that the queen could use old, extinct dukedoms as Newcastle, Buckingham and Portland (now only an earldom) to her own family?
There is still a Marquess of Cambridge, isn't there? Would it still be possible to make another relative Duke of Cambridge?
Yes, the Queen can use extinct peerage titles for the members of the royal family.

The Marquessate of Cambridge went extinct in 1981.

Tags
dukedom, royal dukes, styles and titles