The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Duke of Cambridge married Sarah Fairbrother without permission from Queen Victoria, making the union illegal under the Royal Marriages Act. While he could have declared his intention to marry under the Act and waited to see if Parliament would object, the fact Mrs. Fairbrother was an actress with children from numerous lovers made it highly unlikely he would have received consent.

Since the union was not recognized under the Act, she could not take the style of HRH or the title of Duchess of Cambridge. She and their two children were later known by the name "FitzGeorge".

Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Right. I was comparing Princess Marina, as the daughter-in-law of the king with the present Duchess of Gloucester. What can I say, wbenson? I was posting very late at night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Katharine doesn't get a "The." But if she was in an extremely uncharacteristic mood, she could style herself "Her Royal Highness Princess Edward, Duchess of Kent, Countess of Saint Andrews, Baroness Downpatrick, Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order."

Old 12-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I must say I admire the detailed knowledge that some of you have!
I've lived in England and Scotland almost all of my life, but I would find it hard to draw up a family tree of all the Windsors and their relatives - nor could most people I know.
Perhaps we take our monarchy for granted. Having said that, I got quite excited when the Queen came up to Scotland this summer to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Scottish Parliament at Holyrood !
Old 12-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Majesty

There is a difference between Edward VIII who did renounce his rights and people like Prince Michael who simply lost his place with NO renounciation involved.
His position didn't change when he married. The fact that she is a Roman Catholic would only become an issue if he was to become King, in which case he couldn't but otherwise nothing changed.
Edward, however, gave up all his rights and the rights of his descendents.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Aristocracy

Once again, a royal wife takes her husband's official title. If his title is Prince First Name, her official title becomes Princess First Name. If his title is The Duke of , she becomes The Duchess of, or in the case of The Earl of Wessex, Countess of. A royal prince who becomes a royal duke retains the rank of Prince of the United Kingdom and his wife retains the rank of Princess of the United Kingdom as long as they are married. However, their official titles cease to be Prince and Princess and become Duke and Duchess.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Aristocracy

I always assumed that Sophie is technically and quite properly HRH The Princess Edward, Countess of Wessex but is generally just known as HRH the Countess of Wessex. I suppose Camilla whom we all generally refer to as HRH the Duchess of Cornwall is also technically HRH The Princess Charles, as Diana was until 1996. I understand where you are coming from cmkrcwi.......Royal Dukes and Duchesses and now the Countess of Wessex do not use the Prince and Princess part of their titles......I just wanted to point out that technically the wife of an HRH Duke or Earl technically becomes Princess 'Husband's Christian name' upon marriage! Although it may rarely be used Sophie is - HRH The Princess Edward, Countess of Wessex known simply as HRH the Countess of Wessex.

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 12-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Thought they retained both the Style Prince and Duke.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Majesty

They do.
Charles has been Duke of Cornwall since the instant his mother became Queen and yet he is most often referred to as Prince Charles despite being a Duke since 1952. The same with Andrew and Edward - despite their respective titles they are still referred to as The Prince Andrew and The Prince Edward.

Based on that their wives are also The Princess Charles, The Princess Andrew and The Princess Edward but due to the husbands' other titles they tend to use those.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Sophie became a Princess of the UK wither her marriage. But the difference is that she is not styled as this Her style is HRH the Countess of Wessex the same as the official style of her husband is HRH the Earl of Wessex since his marriage. The same for Prince Andrew who is always styled as HRH the Duke of York officially. often they are reffered to as prince Edward, Earl of Wessex etc. but this is not the official style since the got their other titles.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
I Thought they retained both the Style Prince and Duke.
They do. However, HRH Prince/Princess of the UK is a style and rank signifying precedence and place to The Sovereign as their children or male-line grandchildren (or their wives or a consort like Philip). It is entirely a personal honour granted by The Sovereign.

Once elevated to the Peerage, that becomes their title since their descendants eventually no longer hold royal rank, but remain Peers of the Realm.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Can someone please give me a reasonable and good explanation of why in some reports such as from the DM, Camilla is still referred to as Camilla Parker-Bowles? I've yet to see a woman that has divorced and remarried that would still be referred to by her ex-husband's surname and I think its rather an insult to Camilla. Charles and Diana were referred to as the Waleses so wouldn't it be also Camilla's surname now too?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I guess it depends from where you are...I don't think in Britain they still call her Camilla Parker Bowles, but here in Italy they do...and more, each time they "create" new names and titles for her...
maybe in the USA they do the same...
Old 12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I still call her Camilla Parker Bowles. I don't know why, i've just never known her as anything different.
I don't see why she shouldn't be Camilla Windsor, then again she should be Princess of Wales, but has chosen not to out of respect for Diana.

Maybe she stays Camilla Parker Bowles, to keep a link to Sara and Tom.
She could become Camilla Shand, her maiden name.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Courtier

Same here. If I see her on TV, I instinctivley go "Oh, look at Camilla Parker Bowles with Prince Charles" without a second thought.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

So, it seems I'm the only one not to call her Camilla Parker Bowles, but "The Duchess of Cornwall" or just "Camilla"...
Old 12-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Well, several people around the world, including that stupid Larry King, still call Diana - "Lady Di"....
It's bad enough that most still call her 'Princess Diana' (which I can sort of understand) but Lady Di ??? Come On!!!

Larry
Old 12-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Majesty

I too call her The Duchess of Cornwall or Camilla but then again whenever I talk to any of my friends who have remarried I never call them by their first married name either. I think that to do so I would find myself with fewer friends through refusing to acknowledge their second or later marriages. I would regard it as simply bad manners to not acknowledge a second or later marriage but insisting on referring to someone by the new married name rather than their first married name.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Majesty

I have no problem with Lady Di as that was her maiden name and all woman reserve the right to keep their married names.

I have major problems when I here the name Princess Diana as I keep wanting to ask them who they are talking about because they can't be referring to the first wife of Prince Charles as that woman was never Princess Diana - The Princess Charles, The Princess of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall etc but never Princess Diana.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She was Lady Diana Spencer before she married. This is how she was refferred to by the press when she was courting the prince.
Why is it strange that people still call her Princess Diana?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Yes, I know that she was lady Diana Spencer before she was married; and therefore that was her maiden name.
But, it wasn't Lady Di as though she were a circus act....

And, the problem with 'Princess Diana' is that she was never that - it's the media & lazy people who called her that.

She was "Diana, Princess of Wales".....

Larry

Tags
dukedom, royal dukes, styles and titles