The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Why did Diarist leave? I just read one of her posts about Royal Ascot from several years ago and it was so informative. Is there a way to search for posts that she wrote?
In theory, this is a link to some

Old 06-17-2016, 12:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII View Post
It is not the first time that Mary has met the Queen. I believe they did meet in private for The Prince of Wales's 60th birthday dinner/concert hosted by the Queen in 2008.

The Cambridges have only met them for once on public engagement plus it was their first time being at Ascot, so they were arranged to sit with their friends whom they can closely refer to rather than those they do not know very well.
I don't know about the Cambridges, but William would have met them at the same 60th birthday (I assume he attended) and I have seen a photo of a young William with CP Frederik and then CP Willem Alexander at some event in London. Not sure it was London, but anyway. I think they wore a tux.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Great to see Sarah out with the family at Royal Ascot, and in the Royal Box.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I don't know about the Cambridges, but William would have met them at the same 60th birthday (I assume he attended) and I have seen a photo of a young William with CP Frederik and then CP Willem Alexander at some event in London. Not sure it was London, but anyway. I think they wore a tux.
That would be the christening of Prince Constantine Alexios in London, William and Frederik are 2 of his eight godparents.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6ae48bb1e3.jpg
Old 06-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
That would be the christening of Prince Constantine Alexios in London, William and Frederik are 2 of his eight godparents.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6ae48bb1e3.jpg
And how does Willem Alexander fit into it?
Not sure if it was this the christening. William had hair and was wearing glasses in the photo I mean. Perhaps a birthday or some other celebration?
Old 06-17-2016, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Great to see Sarah out with the family at Royal Ascot, and in the Royal Box.

Her hair looks so straggly.
It would be more flattering if she had it cut into layers.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
And how does Willem Alexander fit into it?
Not sure if it was this the christening. William had hair and was wearing glasses in the photo I mean. Perhaps a birthday or some other celebration?
Young Prince William never wore glasses, or not in public.

Google turns up no pictures of Prince William and King Wilhelm together unfortunately. That's the only picture with Frederik I can find other than the more recent visit with Catherine.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Speaking of dress codes, I am surprised that Princess Sarvath is not wearing a hat. I thought the dress code was strict. I am not criticizing, just wondering?
from Ascot's Dress Code & Style Guide:

OVERSEAS VISITORS
Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal National Dress of their country or Service Dress.

There is no requirement to wear a hat
Old 06-17-2016, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I´m more than surprised to see the RF taking part in this day´s races, obviously with no cares in the world, after yesterday´s tragic event in Bristall!
Who cares about royal ladies wearing gloves or not on a day like this?!
The tragic murder of Jo Cox is absolutely horrific and an attack on democracy, but I'm not surprised that the Queen and the royal family attended the Royal Ascot. There is killing every day, and they couldn't have done anything special, and I'm sure the Queen has sent a letter to Jo Cox's devastated family.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:09 PM
Royal Highness

Perhaps surprised is the wrong word. But I have very mixed feelings seeing the RF attending the races in perfect spirits while an elected state servent has been killed so brutally the day before.
Jo Cox was not just anyone, but a MP of the country.

The much I enjoyed seeing the RF the days before, especially when the Cambridges and Frederik and Mary attended, the much I regret their appearance today!
Old 06-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Perhaps surprised is the wrong word. But I have very mixed feelings seeing the RF attending the races in perfect spirits while an elected state servent has been killed so brutally the day before.

The much I enjoyed seeing the RF the days before, especially when the Cambridges and Frederik and Mary attended, the much I regret their appearance today!
I get the feeling that the Queen is very much a 'get on with things', not in a nasty way but with the attitude of these idiots in the world are not going to stop life going on
Old 06-17-2016, 03:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

The appropriate marks of respect have been made for Jo Cox. To postpone such a huge event such as Royal Ascot because of this event makes little sense as it harms no one. The world should not stop because one dies.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaChips View Post
I get the feeling that the Queen is very much a 'get on with things', not in a nasty way but with the attitude of these idiots in the world are not going to stop life going on
Yes, and knowing who kind and caring HM is, I'm sure (as I've said above) that she sent the family a letter.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
from Ascot's Dress Code & Style Guide:

OVERSEAS VISITORS
Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal National Dress of their country or Service Dress.

There is no requirement to wear a hat
Thanks, that makes sense.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

And another thanks from me Osipi, for sharing that little tidbit from Diarist. I don't remember her posts here, but it sounds like they were rather valuable and insightful, I'll be sure to read up on some of her old ones when I find the time. Her PM to you about Ascot was fascinating to read, and how fortunate that her family is connected with the races. I'd love to go to Ascot sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaChips View Post
In theory, this is a link to some
The link isn't working for me, it comes up with a message saying that there were no matches for this search term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
Pictures Crown Princess Mary chatting with Queen Elizabeth II:
Those were nice photos, it appears that Mary and HM get on rather well with each other, which is great to see. Thank you Roskilde for sharing those.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The tragic murder of Jo Cox is absolutely horrific and an attack on democracy, but I'm not surprised that the Queen and the royal family attended the Royal Ascot. There is killing every day, and they couldn't have done anything special, and I'm sure the Queen has sent a letter to Jo Cox's devastated family.
It's only proper that the Ascot continues, because life must go on.
But was there any reference? Like a minute of silence? A common prayer? A mentioning in a speech?
Old 06-17-2016, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It's only proper that the Ascot continues, because life must go on.
But was there any reference? Like a minute of silence? A common prayer? A mentioning in a speech?
I'm not very interested in horse racing or fashion and therefore I haven't read any articles about it, so I don't know.

But the flag above Buckingham Palace flew at half mast today, and according to the Daily Fail and other papers, the Queen (as I guessed above) is said to have written privately to Mrs Cox's husband.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Why did Diarist leave? I just read one of her posts about Royal Ascot from several years ago and it was so informative. Is there a way to search for posts that she wrote?
Go to Search (top right of the page), then click Advanced Search, then Search by User Name (Diarist), and you'll get hundreds of posts, all of them worth reading.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-17-2016, 07:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although, at this time, Diarist is not actively posting in the threads, she very much is among us at least as the "ghostess with the mostess" for the time being. She's, once again, asked me to relay some information to clarify some things.

From Diarist:

‘’Please could I help with a little more information, as I have noted some errors of fact that have crept into people’s posts here.

It’s probably convenient to mention here that the tragic passing of Jo Cox MP was very much on people’s minds. Because of the commercial nature of horseracing in the UK, it was therefore not feasible to think of cancellation. All our prayers are with Jo’s family. I personally know that many of us will be contributing to the charitable memorial fund that no doubt will be set up to try to ensure that her family suffer no financial hardship.FYI, Racegoers are some of the most generous people I know. On a more spiritual side, Royal Ascot has a full chaplaincy service, and Ministers were today [and are always] available for those at the racecourse [racegoers, staff, ‘connections’ – which is the word to describe owners, trainers and anyone associated with a particular horse] who require spiritual assistance – available to those of all beliefs and none.Chaplains are chosen for being first class non-judgemental listeners.This is a side of Royal Ascot that bloggers and journalists do
n’t usually know about, as most have never been anywhere near Royal Ascot.

Anyway, could I please stress that Sarah, Duchess of York was certainly not in the Royal Box, so I am sorry to disappoint Dman in this respect.

I can advise that the links that have been posted showing Sarah, Andrew and B and E greeting the Queen show that the Yorks are in the ‘inside’ of the parade ring, near one of the entrances.This is most certainly NOT the Royal Box, or even the Royal Enclosure.To gain admittance to the ‘inside’ you don’t need a Royal Enclosure badge, just a Parade Ring badge. [that’s the very small round badge you can see Sarah wearing]. I’ve got one for the entire Ascot Week.Sarah’s parade ring badge is valid for one day only – Friday 17 June.You can tell because of its colour.The Weekly parade ring badge is the same colour as the weekly Royal Enclosure badge – which for 2016 is purple and red. I’ve got a parade ring badge because my husband and I are ‘connections’ of several horses running this week.

If you are only attending Royal Ascot in the Royal Enclosure for one day, you get a different coloured badge for the day you are attending. Royal Ascot also offer a ‘three day’ badge for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. If you are a ‘Connection’, you would be entitled to the appropriately- coloured parade ring badge as well.

continued....

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-17-2016, 07:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To clarify, you only need the parade ring badge to enter the INSIDE of the parade ring. Everyone else just stands outside the railings of the parade ring – you still get a very good view of the inside of the Parade Ring.

If you are in the Royal Box, you also get a Royal Box badge. This is a perfect oval shape – if you look at some of the photos of the Royals, you can spot the purple oval badge with ‘Royal Box’ printed on it, and your name written in ink on it.

For the sake of clarity, I should make it clear that members of the Royal Household have their own section of the grandstand – known as the ‘Royal Household Stand’. This is NOT the Royal Box.Royal Household members have the appropriate words ‘Royal Household’ printed on their Royal Enclosure badge.NB. Members of the Royal Household may well be invited into the Royal Box on occasions, but they would need the above-mentioned Royal Box badge as well.

Sarah has NOT got either a ‘Royal Household’ over-printed Royal Enclosure Badge and she certainly has not got a Royal Box badge! She has an ordinary Royal Enclosure Day Badge, exactly the same that she had last year, so there has been no ‘upgrade’ to ‘Royal’ status for her!

For the record, I did not see Sarah in any part of the Royal Enclosure – just the [inside] Parade Ring.

What Sarah DOES have is the triangular [cardboard] badge of the Ascot Authority. Again, if you are interested, go and examine the photos, and you will be able to make out the wording.

The links to photos that claim Sarah is inside the Royal Box are incorrect. Sarah was instead in the Ascot Authority Box.The A.A. is the ‘commercial’ side of Ascot in that it is the Corporation that runs Ascot Racecourse.It’s important to stress that although Royal Ascot comes across as sociable, fun and in a sense almost frivolous, the fact is that British Horseracing is a hugely important industry for the UK, not just rich people ‘having fun’. Ditto the allied bloodstock industry.The Ascot Authority is a very important corporate body. Its corporate members – or more, properly, ‘Trustees’ can be distinguished by the small metal triangular badges that they have.The have their own box: the Ascot Authority Box.

continued.....

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot