Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen and Beatrice both look lovely!

LaRae

Anne seems to adopting a very autumnal palette for this ascot ..brown, yellow gold ivory. ??

The York girls finally seem to be wearing grown-up clothes. Good to see them in real hats rather than those silly "fascinator" thingies. Beatrice looked very smart, though those shoes don't look very comfortable.

I don't care for Eugenie's look at all. Beatrice looks lovely.

The parents of Kate don't go to the ride yet or i miss them?

It's good to see Lord and Lady Spencer at Royal Ascot.

eya, no the Middleton's did not attend this year.

Horses can have catastrophic injuries during racing, they always have a horse ambulance on hand at the races.

LaRae

Lovely photos of all the ladies. Ladies' Day at Ascot is always so much fun for the creativity of hats and outfits. As for Charles and Camilla and Edward, they were at the service to mark the 200th anniversary of Waterloo.

Horses can have catastrophic injuries during racing, they always have a horse ambulance on hand at the races.

This makes perfect sense to me. Many of these race horses have been specifically trained for years to become the racers they are and on top of that are sometimes worth quite a bit of money. It just makes good sense to be able to have top notch medical assistance on hand should something befall one of the horses during a race. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure kind of thing.

Scroll down in the link until you get to the actress Kimberley Garner, who is wearing a long pink dress and hat. There are two pictures side-by-side. The clearest example of how key lighting (and aperture opening) is to the 'look' of a dress in a photograph. The picture on the right is far-and-away the better picture imo due to the lighting (and her posture and facial expression). The picture on the left could be of a whole different dress (and person). This is why I am very leery of giving a negative comment on a dress. Photographs are a tricky business. :flowers:

Last edited:
Scroll down in the link until you get to the actress Kimberley Garner, who is wearing a along pink dress and hat. There are two pictures side-by-side. The clearest example of how key lighting (and aperture opening) is to the 'look' of a dress in a photograph. The picture on the right is far-and-away the better picture imo due to the lighting (and her posture and facial expression). The picture on the left could be of a whole different dress (and person). This is why I am very leery of giving a negative comment on a dress. Photographs are a tricky business. :flowers:

Thanks! What an excellent example of what you said! In one of the pictures the actress looks like Paris Hilton at her best, and in the other she looks like the Dairy Princess of Limestone County. The camera doesn't lie- but it does shade the truth sometime.

Thanks! What an excellent example of what you said! In one of the pictures the actress looks like Paris Hilton at her best, and in the other she looks like the Dairy Princess of Limestone County.

I had the same thought! :flowers: Paris Hilton! I had to look twice and check the picture caption.

The camera doesn't lie - but it does shade the truth sometime.

Yes and no. :cool: IMO anyway. I see the camera 'lie' too often to take it seriously. Too many take the camera's
2-dimensionality as a reality they are slave to. Not good. :sad:

Holy Wow those are gorgeous earrings and brooch Sophie wore today. Will have to take a more in depth look at that one close up of her to see if it might be possible to give trying to make replicas of them a shot. :)

For some reason, I'm unable to look at the Daily Mail on the iPad these days, so could someone please tell me what happened?

Common here in the U.S.

LaRae

Canada too. When Danzig's Moon was pulled up by his jockey during last weekend's Queen's Plate Trial at Woodbine ( Toronto), the Equine Ambulance was right there w/in minutes to take him back to the Veterinary Barn. Sadly, the injury to one of his hind legs was too severe and...:(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The Queen's horse, Capel Path, suffered an injury during a race and had to be taken from the track by ambulance. He's been taken to a vet for examination/xrays and they will determine from there what to do next.

Several hundred horses are put down every year after track injuries. Jumping/Event horses are put down as well. It's a risk that goes with the sport. It happens in other disciplines too but most people just aren't that aware of it.

LaRae

The Queen's horse, Capel Path, suffered an injury during a race and had to be taken from the track by ambulance. He's been taken to a vet for examination/xrays and they will determine from there what to do next.

Several hundred horses are put down every year after track injuries. Jumping/Event horses are put down as well. It's a risk that goes with the sport. It happens in other disciplines too but most people just aren't that aware of it.
LaRae
Horses unfortunately have relatively fragile legs for animals of their size, and the physiology of those legs can result in catastrophe if a bone is broken or circulation compromised in any way. Horses need to evenly distribute their weight for their circulation to function properly, and when one leg is injured other legs often develop a condition called laminitis which can be fatal. Laminitis is what killed Secretariat and Barbaro just to name two. Horses are also really good at hurting themselves and many do so in their own stalls or paddocks.

Scroll down in the link until you get to the actress Kimberley Garner, who is wearing a long pink dress and hat. There are two pictures side-by-side. The clearest example of how key lighting (and aperture opening) is to the 'look' of a dress in a photograph. The picture on the right is far-and-away the better picture imo due to the lighting (and her posture and facial expression). The picture on the left could be of a whole different dress (and person). This is why I am very leery of giving a negative comment on a dress. Photographs are a tricky business. :flowers:
Thanks! What an excellent example of what you said! In one of the pictures the actress looks like Paris Hilton at her best, and in the other she looks like the Dairy Princess of Limestone County. The camera doesn't lie- but it does shade the truth sometime.
Oh dear, I was just riveted by the lack of bodice on her gown. Looking at someone's bony sternum is not very attractive. I'm surprised they let her in the gate. Tacky, very tacky . . . but at least her shoulder straps were more than and inch wide. :D

I thought the US brigade certainly made an elegant military splash on Ladies day. They'd have had to beat the ladies off with a stick! (even bigger) :D

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/06/18/15/29BE395200000578-3129551-image-m-45_1434637583217.jpg

Horses unfortunately have relatively fragile legs for animals of their size, and the physiology of those legs can result in catastrophe if a bone is broken or circulation compromised in any way. Horses need to evenly distribute their weight for their circulation to function properly, and when one leg is injured other legs often develop a condition called laminitis which can be fatal. Laminitis is what killed Secretariat and Barbaro just to name two. Horses are also really good at hurting themselves and many do so in their own stalls or paddocks.

Yes they get into silly accidents at home, we had it happen to one of ours when I was growing up. I forget how many stitches one had to have in his head.

LaRae

Martin ‏@CourtierUK 42m42 minutes ago
Mike and Zara Tindall join The Queen and DofE in the royal procession at Ascot today. Along with Captain and Mrs David Bowes-Lyon.

She's not. Zara and Mike are in carriage number two with Sir Nicholas Soames and Lady Soames

The Queen and the DoE are in carriage number one with John Warren and Roger Charlton

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom