The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Nobility

Has Kate or William ever attended Ascot when they were not married?

Old 06-14-2016, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Not everything has to be about charity. Attending Ascot is like the Monaco royals attending the Grand Prix. A 305 year tradition is something that has obviously been held important by the royal family through many changes. I they are both busy with other engagements during the period that is one thing. But not finding time to spare when you don't have engagements, to make an appearance, shows a lack of interest. And in a future king, that is sad.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I don't think so, as I just searched on Google for them but no results as far as I could see of them at Ascot came up. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-14-2016, 04:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
No, if they attend this week, it will be their first time at Royal Ascot.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Majesty

Birgitte's, The Duchess of Gloucester, ensemble and pearls were lovely. Princess Haya's dress was all right, but the hat was a bit odd. Sophie's, The Countess of Wessex, dress was overwhelming. The wafer hat and hairstyle were nice.

Prince Andrew and Prince Henry are quite handsome.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Majesty

Prince Harry and Zara Tindall cheer and fist pump as their horses race to victory at the Royal Ascot | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think horse racing is William's (or Kate's) thing ...he's a polo guy. He and Kate have been to several polo events since marrying. Has Kate ever even ridden? Don't recall any pics of it.

I would imagine they will eventually attend Ascot. There are plenty of royals there and it's not some sort of charity event or thank you event.

I think it was nice they went to Ireland instead.

LaRae
Old 06-14-2016, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

The Ireland excuse only flies for one day, it is a five day event.

Royals aren't simply patrons, no everything is about charity. The pomp and circumstance, and appearances are just as important, especially in the day and time when republicanism is growing. If supporting a 300 year old tradition isn't important, then what is?? This isn't the firs year it has been missed by the couple. It's their job. People don't always like all aspects of their job but still do it. I highly doubt attending a race could be too bad.

I just find it humorous when we look at things like Trooping, and people are happy the Cambridges and Harry are moved forward more, emphasis on slimming down. Isnt it all the more reason for them to attend Ascot? They are the future of the monarchy, it should be more important for them to attend than the Gloucesters and others.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Emily Andrews from The Sun just tweeted that William and Kate will be attending Ascot tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

.@byEmilyAndrews @TheSun reporting The Cambridges will make their 1st Royal Ascot Appearance tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
The Daily Fail are known for their obvious errors, spelling mistakes and mix up of royals. Honestly, it makes me wonder if their articles ever get read and checked for mistakes before they are submitted to the site - and also how their journalists/publishers passed their English exams!

Back on topic, thank you to those who shared the photos of Royal Ascot today. I wonder if HM's horse, Dartmouth, will win this year as he will be competing. I hope that the Cambridges can attend one time, I'm looking forward into seeing what Catherine will wear. I'm probably incorrect but I don't recall Harry attending before, is this is first time or not?
Harry has been attending for quite a few years now.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This is Harry's 3rd year attending Ascot. His first appearance was in 2014.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

They will attend tomorrow;
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to make first Royal Ascot appearance – Royal Central
Old 06-14-2016, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't think horse racing is William's (or Kate's) thing ...he's a polo guy. He and Kate have been to several polo events since marrying. Has Kate ever even ridden? Don't recall any pics of it.

I would imagine they will eventually attend Ascot. There are plenty of royals there and it's not some sort of charity event or thank you event.

I think it was nice they went to Ireland instead.

LaRae
I agree that it was nice that they visited Northern Ireland today. It's a part of the kingdom that has infrequent royal visits.

Looking forward to seeing the Cambridges at Ascot tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:04 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Charles and The Duchess of Cornwall have horses running at Ascot this week.

Prince Charles prepares to make horse racing the sport of kings again with first runners at Royal Ascot

Quote:
Three-year-old Carntop, lines up in the Group 2 King Edward VII Stakes on Friday, for which he is currently second-favourite, while four-year-old Pacify contests the listed Wolferton Handicap on Saturday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree that it was nice that they visited Northern Ireland today. It's a part of the kingdom that has infrequent royal visits.
Charles and Camilla visited Northern Ireland just 3 weeks age.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
300+ years is a very long standing tradition and Royal Ascot has played a big part in what has been called "The Season". It was the time for "le bon ton" to get out there and socialize. It was the time when the young debutantes to be presented at court then a flurry of house parties, balls, afternoon teas in what became known as the "marriage market". Its not only a time for horse racing but also a time to be seen and to see who's who in the social hierarchy. Kind of puts me into the mood of watching My Fair Lady once again. Always kicked off by the monarch's official birthday and then the Order of the Garter ceremony, Ascot was the third in the Royal Trifecta of "the Season".

The Royal Family has always played a very important part in Ascot week. They were the cream of the crop, the upper echelons of society and how close you were seated to them was considered a measure of one's importance. To actually be invited to sit in the Royal Ascot box guaranteed you an invitation to the best occasions and parties. Kind of like a modern day A list meter.

I think we've seen a lot of indication so far in 2016 that the Cambridges are preparing to step up more and more into their royal destinies. Going to NI for a garden party, appearing at Ascot with the Royal Family, William being admitted to the Privy Counsel and as we saw at the Patron's Lunch, riding behind the Queenmobile in the "heir and spare" mobile" is letting the world know these 3 younger royals are ready and prepared to take their place. It must ease HM's mind that her family is 100% behind her and ready and willing to follow in her footsteps.

Tradition and pomp and circumstance and pageantry is what the British do best and when a lot of things are being tossed out the window as the globe modernizes, it is refreshing to know that some things stay the way they were.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm glad to see that Ascot will remain an important part of the Royal year. The Queen has always enjoyed it of course, but Charles and Camilla really seem to get into the spirit of things and there are always other members of the family there as well, including Harry, who's becoming a regular.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Royal Highness

W&K are rumored to make their first appearance at Ascot.
The rumor is also that George will join them.

Maybe W&K will attend or maybe not.

Maybe they will attend in order to present trophies.

Maybe each day a different member of the British Royal Family will present trophies to the winners.

Does the Queen have a horse running tomorrow?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Majesty

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are likely to make an appearance at Ascot. I do not see any reason for Prince George to attend such event as he is too small.

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot