Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link!

She reminds me of her mother in that pic. I can't get a close enough look at the brooch...but didn't all of Diana's personal jewelry go to the boys? I can't remember the status of that particular piece..?

LaRae

The brooch was a wedding present to Diana from The Queen Mother. I don't think it was meant to be Diana's personal property.

The brooch was a wedding present to Diana from The Queen Mother. I don't think it was meant to be Diana's personal property.

A wedding present wouldn't be a personal item...that would belong (as property) to the receiver?

LaRae

A wedding present wouldn't be a personal item...that would belong (as property) to the receiver?

LaRae

I could've been a loan, just like the other jewels she let her wear. I could be wrong about this, but that brooch The Queen is wearing looks just like that brooch Diana wore with pearls.

Could be the Albert brooch he made for Victoria though. Anyway The Queen looks beautiful at Ascot today.

Last edited:
Yes. There is an order of precedence. Women's place of precedence changes a bit though if their husband is not present.
Husband being present makes a huge difference in the case of Camilla and Kate. Camilla, when her husband is there, is only second to the queen and DOE.
Elizabeth changed it up though. Prior to 2005, Camilla would have taken precedence over all ladies, save for the queen, and Sophie after her. Princesses of the blood do rank in precedence above those married in, when their husbands are not there.

So if Charles was not present at a banquet with Camilla on her own attending, she would take precedence after Anne?! That´s hard to believe or imagine....:ermm:

Thanks for the link!

She reminds me of her mother in that pic. I can't get a close enough look at the brooch...but didn't all of Diana's personal jewelry go to the boys? I can't remember the status of that particular piece..?

LaRae

Looks like the Albert Sapphire & Diamond brooch to me and not the one Diana used.

The Queen has one other large diamond and sapphire brooch from the Queen Mother that she has, AFAIK, only worn once on a trip to Rome a few years ago.

It does matter, actually. Kate is not on the same level as Mary. Mary is Crown Princess of Denmark and her husband, the Crown Prince, will be the next King when Queen Margrethe dies (which I hope will not be for a long time.)
Kate is married to the heir to the heir to the British throne. When, in the next reign, William and Kate are Prince and Princess of Wales, then they will be on the same level that Frederik and Mary are now. Until then they aren't.

As many posters explained before, Royal Highnesses do not curtsey to each other, no matter if one is an heir and another is not. The title "Majesty" makes the difference in that respect.
So, Mary and Catherine are both royal Highnesses and none of them has to curtsey to one another. But Mary, as a high profiled foreign royal guest and future Queen of Denmark, takes precedence over the Duchess when it comes to protocol (who sits where, who sits in what coach etc.) in that particular stage of both ladie´s life.

Oh okay. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew my eyes had to be playing tricks on me. Got too excited!

Thanks for the link!

LaRae

Sorry for the misinformation, Pranter.

Last edited:
Here is a basic over view. I found the same information on the Ascot website, it is just compiled here
Royal Ascot dress code for the 2016 races and Ladies Day - Get Reading ....
  • Fascinators are not permitted; neither are headpieces which do not have a solid base covering a sufficient area of the head (four inches/10cm). [/QUOTE]
Thank you Countessmeout:
Can someone please explain what Princess Sarvath El Hassan is wearing, because it does not look 4 inches to me.

an embarrassment of riches today - I think all of the royal ladies have put their best foot forward. Anne is my personal favorite today - love the hat! Eugenie is on a winning streak and looks fresh and lovely (though I'm not sure if the sleeveless dress is skirting the rules a bit for a royal lady and Beatrice love her dress; hat is ok (too bad a little too much like granny) - but her dress is a flattering win. And HM always looks lovely and while I may not be a huge fan of the orange/ blue look - the albert sapphire brooch compensates immensely!

Bravo ladies day!

Beatrice looks very nice today, why can't she dress this way all the time?? Elegant but simple, fits her body type perfectly.

Thank you Countessmeout:
Can someone please explain what Princess Sarvath El Hassan is wearing, because it does not look 4 inches to me.

Princess Sarvath as a foreign guest is held to a different dress code in the royal enclosure. They are permitted to wear the national dress or service dress of their own country. It seems under that rule, she isn't held to the hat restriction that other ladies are. I know someone like Haya would most certainly have worn a hat, but Sarvath seems a bit more traditional.

Royal Family Pictures | Royalty Photo Gallery | Getty Images Canada

As for the earlier children's question about George, and Zara attending as a teen: Children are permitted in the royal enclosure but on 2 conditions:
1. they must be 10 years of age or older
2. are permitted on Friday and Saturday only

I wonder if we will start seeing Louise. She often attends horse events with her parents and she would probably enjoy Ascot. They are held to a similar dress code, but girls are allowed to wear fascinators and head pieces until they are 18, not proper hats.

Princess Sarvath as a foreign guest is held to a different dress code in the royal enclosure. They are permitted to wear the national dress or service dress of their own country. It seems under that rule, she isn't held to the hat restriction that other ladies are. I know someone like Haya would most certainly have worn a hat, but Sarvath seems a bit more traditional.

Royal Family Pictures | Royalty Photo Gallery | Getty Images Canada

As for the earlier children's question about George, and Zara attending as a teen: Children are permitted in the royal enclosure but on 2 conditions:
1. they must be 10 years of age or older
2. are permitted on Friday and Saturday only

I wonder if we will start seeing Louise. She often attends horse events with her parents and she would probably enjoy Ascot. They are held to a similar dress code, but girls are allowed to wear fascinators and head pieces until they are 18, not proper hats.

I imagine we'll see Louise attending soon but I do think they will wait until James is 10 and then both children can go. They go to the Christmas meeting at Ascot every year so Royal Ascot on a Saturday is definitely in their future. I can't wait to see Louise in some amazing hats in the future from the great Jane Taylor no doubt.

Does anyone know when Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie first started attending Royal Ascot?

Does anyone know when Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie first started attending Royal Ascot?

I searched Getty today - earliest I saw for Zara was '89 - so she would have been eight.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Beatrice looks very nice today, why can't she dress this way all the time?? Elegant but simple, fits her body type perfectly.
I must of googled the wrong day, the outfit for Bea that I really liked was the cream colored dress, maybe that was day 2?

CP Frederik's top hat looks odd. Is that a common Danish hat design ?

Princess Mary looks nice, but a little bit "overenthusiastic" in the royal box. I believe she could have been a little bit more discreet when rooting for her horse. It is probably a new experience for her though, so her excitement is understandable.

CP Frederik's top hat looks odd. Is that a common Danish hat design ?

Princess Mary looks nice, but a little bit "overenthusiastic" in the royal box. I believe she could have been a little bit more discreet when rooting for her horse. It is probably a new experience for her though, so her excitement is understandable.

What's wrong with his top hat?

Exactly why shouldn't she be excited? We've seen a lot of excitement in the Royal box over the years.

What's wrong with his top hat?

Exactly why shouldn't she be excited? We've seen a lot of excitement in the Royal box over the years.

If you look at the picture, compared to Edward's hat (the tradittional top hat), Frederik's seems to be shorter and wider. On you second question, the other ladies, including Sophie and Catherine, were far more contained in their "excitement" compared to Mary.

Last edited:
So if Charles was not present at a banquet with Camilla on her own attending, she would take precedence after Anne?! That´s hard to believe or imagine....:ermm:

No - at official events they take their normal precedence.

The changes only apply in private. The Queen changed the private precedence so that in private situations Alexandra was ahead of Camilla and now Beatrice and Eugenie as well would be ahead of Camilla and Kate but only in private.

Many press have reported on this and seem to ignore the word 'private' and apply it as a blanket case and sadly so do many posters here and elsewhere.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Is The Queen wearing the diamond and sapphire brooch that Diana used to wear as a chocker?
No, she's wearing Prince Alberts brooch. It was given to Queen Victoria before her wedding by her future husband and worn for the wedding. It's similar but not the same one that Diana got.

If you look at the picture, compared to Edward's hat (the tradittional top hat), Frederik's seems to be shorter and wider. On you second question, the other ladies, including Sophie and Catherine, were far mor contained in their "excitement" compared to Mary.
Have you seen the Queen watch the races? She's been seen bouncing and waving and running and lord knows what else. I doubt Mary was any different.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen's horse Guy Fawkes sadly had to be put down today after he broke his leg during a fall in the final race today.

Oh no, hate to hear that :sad: I had heard he fell in the race but no that he broke his leg. I am a huge horse lover and it breaks my heart to hear.

Oh okay. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew my eyes had to be playing tricks on me. Got too excited!

Sorry for the misinformation, Pranter.

Oh no worries, no harm intended. That's quite the brooch when you see a close up. Mercy!

LaRae

It was nice to see Lord Frederick Windsor at Ascot today as I don't recall him attending the previous days. The old photos of Zara at the family day at Ascot are sweet too, Zara reminds me a little of Louise there.

As for Mary's overexcitement yesterday, I don't see it much personally, because Sophie, Catherine and HM were also excited yesterday. It's a natural reaction at an event like Ascot, which I can imagine is an incredibly exciting day for the RF given their passion for horses. Mary most likely felt the same way, and it's also her first time attending, so she may not be fully aware of the "behaviour" at Ascot.

That was also saddening to read about poor Guy Fawkes. HM must be so upset...

Last edited:
So, today, I was thinking about the passing of the glove at Ascot. It seems to be a generational thing.

Today, The Queen, The Princess Royal, The Duchess or Cornwall, Princess Alexandra, Princess Michael and the Duchess of Gloucester still wear gloves to Ascot.

Of course, it’s impossible to know if there are gloves in the odd handbag, and Getty searches can be incomplete, but here’s an unofficial list of the last time I could spot these ladies with gloves at Ascot. In no particular order.

Princess Haya – 2011 http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/15...WUn9g+2gAT96aSNvhVXc8uIAZGaT/bdPMdVcGgWOtBA==
Sarah Ferguson- 2015 http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/47...5RhzQ1Mt9sIwvhkgVtBvMb/3tXjJ+Jv4S3aIeBa360Q==
Countess of Wessex – 2002 http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/52...l6twm95XPxoBPWU/bZcSDq0Vu8qo3n5KGnsp+EV0FK+A=
Serena Linley - 2013 http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/17...eP9GMx96wyiB1fETsm3a+yxYtjlWEOnI3NsoT1ZUOiQ==
Zara Tindall – 1989, (interestingly, Mom is gloves off in the photos I found, but Anne is carrying a large handbag that year. And I suspect, Moms find gloves a bit of a handful when with their bit of a handful). http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/52...kI6L4Sb7+flME7YC1kKwOOI2C2qNc4IQBFThPl+Xy6ZQ=
Diana, Princess of Wales, 1991 http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...diana-at-royal-ascot-races-picture-id79730131
BTW – if you ever have an odd hour, old Royal Ascot photos are a treat to look through.

No - at official events they take their normal precedence.
The changes only apply in private. The Queen changed the private precedence so that in private situations Alexandra was ahead of Camilla and now Beatrice and Eugenie as well would be ahead of Camilla and Kate but only in private.
Many press have reported on this and seem to ignore the word 'private' and apply it as a blanket case and sadly so do many posters here and elsewhere.

In private?! That doesn´t makes sense to me even less...
You mean, when they´re on their Scotland holidays, doing a picnic, Princess Alexandra, a, sorry for that, minor Royal, and daughters of a Queen´s younger son, are allowed to sit with HM on blanket 1, while the future Queens have to sit on blanket 2...?!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom