Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused, is the Royal Enclosure and the Royal Box the same thing? I thought not. I thought the Royal Box was in the Royal Enclosure area. People in the "area" are not necessarily in the "box". For instance, Earl Spencer was in the enclosure yesterday, but I don't believe he was in the box. Sorry, if I am misunderstanding.

The Royal Box is in the Royal Enclosure but only the royal family and invited guests are allowed into the Royal Box. For example on Tuesday Lady Sarah Chatto "only" had a Royal Enclosure badge on, therefore was not allowed into the Royal Box. The same with Zara and Mike on Tuesday, whereas today they had different nametags on stating Royal Box.

The Royal Enclosure is the area surrounding the royal box, the winners enclosure and parade ring where people with Royal Enclosure admittance can go. You need to be invited into the Royal Enclosure by someone who has been a member for 4 years or more.

They have different name tags as well - the Royal Box clearly states "Royal Box" above the person's name, whereas the Royal Enclosure has just that above their name. The namebadges have to be purchased as well and they don't come cheap. I believe a Royal Enclosure badge for 3 days is nearly £300, although I am unsure if the royal family are required to pay for theirs.

Sarah's name tag today said "Royal Household" but I have no idea what that means...

Last edited:
:previous:Thank you, that is what I thought but reports kept referring to the fact that she was in the Royal Box.:flowers:

Sarah's name tag today said "Royal Household" but I have no idea what that means...

I have been unable to find a definitive list, but, from what I have read about RF members wearing such a badge in previous years, I am guessing it means that though the wearer of the badge is not special enough to be allowed into the Royal Box - on that day, at least - they are more special than the other special people in the Royal Enclosure, and, it being England, it has been decided that these people need to wear something that signifies this elevated level of specialness lest they be mistaken for the other Royal Enclosure members who are ordinary race club members that have "risen through the ranks".

I'm guessing Royal Household signifies a personal connection to the Royal Family by birth or marriage.

The Queen's horse, Capel Path, suffered an injury during a race and had to be taken from the track by ambulance. He's been taken to a vet for examination/xrays and they will determine from there what to do next.

Several hundred horses are put down every year after track injuries. Jumping/Event horses are put down as well. It's a risk that goes with the sport. It happens in other disciplines too but most people just aren't that aware of it.

LaRae

Thanks!! I hope Capel Path is okay.

Oh dear, I was just riveted by the lack of bodice on her gown. Looking at someone's bony sternum is not very attractive. I'm surprised they let her in the gate. Tacky, very tacky . . . but at least her shoulder straps were more than and inch wide. :D

I thought the US brigade certainly made an elegant military splash on Ladies day. They'd have had to beat the ladies off with a stick! (even bigger) :D

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/06/18/15/29BE395200000578-3129551-image-m-45_1434637583217.jpg

For once I'm going to say this and mean it when it comes to Ascot fashions....

Who cares about that!! There's Men in Uniform!! US Navy Men in Uniform!! In their Class A Dress Whites too!!

:D :D :D

Myself I think Zara looks nice, and it's not about her weight...the only thing I questioned is that she is rather out of shape for a professional athlete. I am surprised to find her muscle tone so loose, considering her job...I would think she would have been training to get things tightened up.

LaRae

Yes, today is a big improvement on Day One, but like you I also don't get it. For someone who keeps saying she's going to be in Rio and such a big year regarding Qualifying for those Games coming up....I don't get it either.

The Duke of Edinburgh's attitude to her is still 'glacial', by all accounts...

Try Ice Age Chill and I think you'll be closer.

Mmmm i don't think all the members of the family get along with her. The Duke of Edimburg reportedly can's stand her, as the Wales clan (don't forget that she was snubbed big time in 2011 for the Royal wedding).
Sarah is a difficult case, at least she and Andrew were able to maintain a family for the sake of their two daughters...

She was not snubbed for the Wedding. William hasn't had anything to do w/Sarah for close to 20yrs now. Why would you invite anyone you've had next to no contact w/for that long a time, combined w/the continuing stunts Sarah manages to pull that usually has some effect on the Royal Family, to your Wedding? The only one who feels that way is Sarah and that she does feel that way is just sad.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Tiggersk8 I've looked for an update on Capel Path but so far can't find anything since yesterday when they said he was resting comfortably at the vet

I hope Zara gets in gear. I'd hate to see her miss out.

LaRae

She was not snubbed for the Wedding. William hasn't had anything to do w/Sarah for close to 20yrs now. Why would you invite anyone you've had next to no contact w/for that long a time, combined w/the continuing stunts Sarah manages to pull that usually has some effect on the Royal Family, to your Wedding? The only one who feels that way is Sarah and that she does feel that way is just sad.
Now if it were Harry's wedding, it would have been altogether different.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree that it wasn't a snub. William hasn't spoken to her since before Diana's death, and she's never met Catherine. I don't think Mark Phillips was invited either.

I do think it's funny Sarah gives frequent interviews about the Cambridges to the American media. She'll only admit to not knowing Catherine when she gets boxed into a corner by the interviewer. Like when she was interviewed on Access Hollywood, Billy Bush kept asking her about her past experience with Catherine and she kept giving him coy, flowery answers. Finally, he asked about the last conversation between the two women, and she came clean about them never meeting. Billy gave her such a WTF? face. haha

As privacy obsessed as the Cambridges are, I doubt they enjoy that Fergie runs to television twice a year to dish on them. I can't see her being invited to any event they are attending - excluding Harry's wedding. Lucky for her they don't attend Ascot.

I do agree that she'll be invited Harry's wedding. Unlike William, Harry is extremely close to the Yorks. Now that would be a snub.

The Royal Box is in the Royal Enclosure but only the royal family and invited guests are allowed into the Royal Box. For example on Tuesday Lady Sarah Chatto "only" had a Royal Enclosure badge on, therefore was not allowed into the Royal Box. The same with Zara and Mike on Tuesday, whereas today they had different nametags on stating Royal Box.

The Royal Enclosure is the area surrounding the royal box, the winners enclosure and parade ring where people with Royal Enclosure admittance can go. You need to be invited into the Royal Enclosure by someone who has been a member for 4 years or more.

They have different name tags as well - the Royal Box clearly states "Royal Box" above the person's name, whereas the Royal Enclosure has just that above their name. The namebadges have to be purchased as well and they don't come cheap. I believe a Royal Enclosure badge for 3 days is nearly £300, although I am unsure if the royal family are required to pay for theirs.

Interesting point according to The Telegraph, the York contingent was not in the royal box, but a separate suite with a balcony adjacent to the royal box. Explains why she was in the enclosure and curtseyed,but she was not with the royal family.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ly-as-she-curtseys-to-the-Queen-at-Ascot.html

If this were Mike or Carole Middleton attending Ascot they'd be on the receiving end of several social-climbing sneers. I'm glad Chris Rhys-Jones doesn't get the same bigoted treatment, but it makes me sad for the Middletons.

I don't think you can really compare the situation the Middletons are in to that of the Rhys-Jones'.

I think they're very comparable. It just puts their critics in an awful light.

Here is Christopher Rhys-Jones next to his lovely daughter.

Thank you!

If this were Mike or Carole Middleton attending Ascot they'd be on the receiving end of several social-climbing sneers. I'm glad Chris Rhys-Jones doesn't get the same bigoted treatment, but it makes me sad for the Middletons.

I agree. Sophie, like Kate, seems to come from a close family, and her family members seem to be included in a lot of events (her dad is at Ascot most years, and I've also seen pictures of her with her nephews and brother at other events). Of course, the media don't pay as much attention to Sophie, but she doesn't get branded as being too clingy to her family, nor do people seem to complain that her middle-class family is social climbing. It shows how silly the media is about things, as it just goes to show that one can marry into the royal family and still keep their own family around, even if they are middle class (and it doesn't seem to be an issue with the royals themselves!).

Lady Helen Taylor's hat for Day 5 is gorgeous. As always, Lady Helen is elegant and unique with the same sense of style as her mother.

Sarah, Duchess of York, looked great on Day 4. What a moment of triumph for her.

I agree 100%. Very sad. :sad: But I suspect the Middletons don't allow themselves to be bothered by it all. (That's an opinion, not a fact). In the end, they are so far 'inside the royal circle' that the vast majority attending Ascot will never have a whisper of a chance of having their status. (Looking at it from the 'class status' perspective).

When William is King for sure (and possibly even when Charles is King), the Middletons may be more in evidence on a regular basis. Hope so. :flowers:

I think they're very comparable. It just puts their critics in an awful light.

Yes. The sniping at the Middletons is a nasty business. Says nothing about the Middeltons, says everything about the critics. :ermm:

Last edited:
I would say though (and this is simply my opinion) that the Middleton's ARE social climbers, whereas the Rhys-Jones' are not social climbers and keep themselves to themselves. They always have done since Sophie met Edward. Christopher said that the Rhys-Jones and the Windsors were miles apart and he nor his wife overly approved of Sophie's decision to start a relationship with Edward. The Middleton's, however, basically urged their daughter to be with William. Obviously the Middleton's were always going to be more well known than the Rhys-Jones', but Sophie's family have made an effort to shy away from the press and have NEVER given interviews to magazines and lived off their daughter's relative fame. Christopher is always invited to royal things (Order of the Garter, Ascot carriages, Diamond Jubilee celebrations and he was even at the Queen's 80th birthday) but the press of course don't care about Sophie's family as they aren't money spinners. The Middleton's, I believe, thrive off being money spinners.

Anyway, back on topic. Sad to see Ascot over for another year. Roll on next years hats and dresses! :D

Last edited:
Chris Rhys-Jones is a retired tyre salesman whose daughter married into the BRF and he now attends Ascot. Don't see how that's any different from Kate's family except the Middletons are multi-millionaires.

I would say though (and this is simply my opinion) that the Middleton's ARE social climbers, whereas the Rhys-Jones' are not social climbers and keep themselves to themselves. They always have done since Sophie met Edward. Christopher said that the Rhys-Jones and the Windsors were miles apart and he nor his wife overly approved of Sophie's decision to start a relationship with Edward. The Middleton's, however, basically urged their daughter to be with William. Obviously the Middleton's were always going to be more well known than the Rhys-Jones', but Sophie's family have made an effort to shy away from the press and have NEVER given interviews to magazines and lived off their daughter's relative fame. Christopher is always invited to royal things (Order of the Garter, Ascot carriages, Diamond Jubilee celebrations and he was even at the Queen's 80th birthday) but the press of course don't care about Sophie's family as they aren't money spinners. The Middleton's, I believe, thrive off being money spinners.

Anyway, back on topic. Sad to see Ascot over for another year. Roll on next years hats and dresses! :D

Granted you DID say that this was your opinion. I am, however, curious how you base your opinions. What causes you to think that the Middleton's are social climbers OR that they urged their daughter on to be with William? Also I don't recall seeing the Middletons giving press interviews to magazines and just how have they lived off their daughter's relative fame? They had their business long before Catherine knew William. Being an American I am not familiar with the term "money spinner". I guess it speaks for itself .... kind of. Actually, it seems to me that your opinion is more aligned with the responses on the Daily Fail than anything else.

The Rhys-Joneses haven't necessarily always kept to themselves - I seem to recall that, in the year after Sophie married Edward, Sophie's nephew's christening was on the cover of Hello! (I don't have the magazine, but I know it has Sophie with her nephew on the cover, and evidently more pictures and a short interview with her brother inside). I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but I don't recall the Middletons going much beyond anything like that. I think the Rhys-Joneses have been quiet since then - maybe it didn't go over well with the Royal family.

Anyway, per your own post, the Rhys-Joneses haven't been completely quiet. Mostly, though, I think think the press don't care, and the Rhys-Joneses aren't really out for attention anyway. However, they are a very middle class family (and not nearly as well-off financially as the Middletons), and obviously Mr. Rhys-Jones is able to attend things like Royal Ascot, etc., solely because of who his daughter married.

Some of the comments about the Middletons seem unnecessary. They "basically urged their daughter to be with William"? Unsubstantiated gossip. Money spinners? Well, they still have a business to run (I believe Mr. Rhys-Jones is retired, no?).

Personally, I always like seeing that Sophie's father is included in certain royal events. Kate, of course, hasn't been at Royal Ascot, but if she were to go, I'd be happy to see her with her family, too. (Carole, apparently, did attend in 2011.)

The fifth day is disappointing. Lady Helen Taylor in an odd ensemble was in attendance.
I wonder why no one from the Windsor family is left to attend the 5th day.

Last edited:
Granted you DID say that this was your opinion. I am, however, curious how you base your opinions. What causes you to think that the Middleton's are social climbers OR that they urged their daughter on to be with William? Also I don't recall seeing the Middletons giving press interviews to magazines and just how have they lived off their daughter's relative fame? They had their business long before Catherine knew William. Being an American I am not familiar with the term "money spinner". I guess it speaks for itself .... kind of. Actually, it seems to me that your opinion is more aligned with the responses on the Daily Fail than anything else.

My opinion is my opinion - I don't necessarily have to justify it. You only have to read several articles, albeit from tabloid newspapers, to gain an opinion on the Middleton's and that is what I have - an opinion. I am not a fan of the Middleton's sadly so of course my opinion is going to be slightly more negative and is going to be coloured by what I read. It's just one of those things! We can't like everybody.

The Rhys-Joneses haven't necessarily always kept to themselves - I seem to recall that, in the year after Sophie married Edward, Sophie's nephew's christening was on the cover of Hello! (I don't have the magazine, but I know it has Sophie with her nephew on the cover, and evidently more pictures and a short interview with her brother inside). I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but I don't recall the Middletons going much beyond anything like that. I think the Rhys-Joneses have been quiet since then - maybe it didn't go over well with the Royal family.
Granted, Sophie's brother DID do this for Hello! magazine. Pippa and James, however, have both done interviews and discussed their sister's status. They certainly didn't have to do the interviews but I imagine they wanted to and from what we read of Pippa, she enjoys the small amount of attention she receives

Some of the comments about the Middletons seem unnecessary. They "basically urged their daughter to be with William"? Unsubstantiated gossip. Money spinners? Well, they still have a business to run (I believe Mr. Rhys-Jones is retired, no?).
Unsubstantiated gossip it may be but gossip has to arise from something...

As I said in my initial post, these are just MY opinions.

Anyway, back on topic.

I agree Al_bina - Lady Helen's ensemble was strange and her hat was an odd choice. Normally Helen is quite fashionable I believe, but everyone is allowed an off day!

The Windsor's I don't think normally attend the 5th day although I don't see why. I can see why the Wessex's don't as their children are off at the weekend and they are too young to attend, so they spend the day with them. The others though perhaps simply just don't want to go.

My opinion is my opinion - I don't necessarily have to justify it. You only have to read several articles, albeit from tabloid newspapers, to gain an opinion on the Middleton's and that is what I have - an opinion. I am not a fan of the Middleton's sadly so of course my opinion is going to be slightly more negative and is going to be coloured by what I read. It's just one of those things! We can't like everybody.

Granted, Sophie's brother DID do this for Hello! magazine. Pippa and James, however, have both done interviews and discussed their sister's status. They certainly didn't have to do the interviews but I imagine they wanted to and from what we read of Pippa, she enjoys the small amount of attention she receives

Says it all really. At least you admit to it.

Last edited:

As I said in my initial post, these are just MY opinions.

Anyway, back on topic.

I agree Al_bina - Lady Helen's ensemble was strange and her hat was an odd choice. Normally Helen is quite fashionable I believe, but everyone is allowed an off day!

The Windsor's I don't think normally attend the 5th day although I don't see why. I can see why the Wessex's don't as their children are off at the weekend and they are too young to attend, so they spend the day with them. The others though perhaps simply just don't want to go.

Yes, gossip does have to arise from something - but sometimes those are things like meanspiritedness and/or jealousy. The Wessexes have had to put up with some unpleasant gossip themselves over the years (as have most royals), and once some kind of gossip starts making the rounds, it can really stick.

I, too, wonder why the Royal family aren't there on the 5th day, and I also wonder. Interesting to see who's there on which days, but then I don't know much of what goes on at Royal Ascot other than hats and horses (and I can't say I pay much attention to the horses). :D

Sophie was caught by a fake Sheikh trying to sell access to her royal family for her company.

Sophie was caught by a fake Sheikh trying to sell access to her royal family for her company.

That was a money-spinner maneuver. :D

The Earl and Countess Spencer attended Ascot too. More family members on show. Blue-blooded Charles Spencer was able to attend without rising any haunches. I hope this can be a template for all future and current in-laws. The more the merrier, regardless of birth station.

I seem to recall Sophie getting caught on tape saying some not so nice things about her inlaws.

LaRae

I seem to recall Sophie getting caught on tape saying some not so nice things about her inlaws.

LaRae

That was the fake Sheik thing. She really didn't say anything too unpleasant, but it certainly would've been best if she hadn't said anything at all. It was certainly a lack of discretion as part of a potential business deal. This is why Edward and Sophie ended up doing the full-time royal thing - they had too many conflicts before. Now, people seem to like them better, though at the same time they also get less coverage. It's a life that seems to suit them, though.

The tabloid created lies which play to class snobbery about the Middletons 'urging their daughter to be with William' are nonsense IMO. I doubt that they somehow bribed St. Sal to assign their daughter to the same hall. More telling Catherine had a boyfriend at St. Andrews - hardly convenient if your plan is to ensnare the future king. There were hundreds of pretty girls at St. Andrews, many also in St. Sal and/or majoring in Art History. There was a friendship that became more, the Middleton's welcomed William just as they appear to have welcomed Pippa's bfs and James' gf. Of course I judge inappropriate social climbing/clinging by Sarah and IMO the Middletons are a class act by comparison.
I was pleased to see the Middletons at Ascot a few years ago, I do hope that some day we will see the Cambridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom