The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2016

Dartmouth has hopefully just won the Hardwicke Stakes but we have gone to a stewards inquiry.

Princess Beatrice has just presented her grandmother with her trophy!

Old 06-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Loved seeing Beatrice present the trophy to her grandmother. Very sweet.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Nobility

Royal Ascot 2016: Day Five - Pictures - Zimbio
Old 06-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Eugenie is there today as well.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Royal Highness

The final furlong! Race fans take one more chance to show off their style on last day of Royal Ascot 2016* | Daily Mail Online

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6258121099.jpg
Old 06-18-2016, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Carriages today really showcased the 'guests'. Really only the first 2 had anyone well known.

FIRST CARRIAGE
The Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh
Major General Sir Edward Smyth-Osbourne
Mr Anthony Oppenheimer

SECOND CARRIAGE
The Prince Of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall
Mr Roger Weatherby
Mrs Roger Weatherby

THIRD CARRIAGE
Mr John Warren
Lady Smyth-Osbourne
Mr Andrew Merriam
Mrs Andrew Merriam

FOURTH CARRIAGE
Vice Admiral Tony Johnstone-Burt
Mrs Anthony Oppenheimer
Mr Ben Pauling
Mrs Ben Pauling

With the queen we have Sir Smyth-Osborne who is the former commander of the household division and was commanding officer of both William and Harry during their time in the household calvary. I notice his wife is in carriage 3. And race horse owner Anthony Openheimer.

Carriage two has the POW and DOC. They are accompanied by Rodger Weatherby and his wife. Rodger is chairman of Weatherbys, which runs the thoroughbred breed book in the UK. Rodger is chairman of the racing foundation and is senior equiry of the jockey club since 2014.

Carriage 3: Andrew Merriam is chairman of the jockey club estates and is an equiry for the club as well, and his wife. Sir Osborne's wife of course. And John Warren is of course the queen's racing advisor.

Carriage 4: Major Anthony is a former naval officer who now serves as master of the household to the sovereign. Ben Paul is a horse trainer, accompanied by his wife. And then we have Mrs Openheimer.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Majesty

Royal Ascot 2016 was so so. It was nice to see Prince and Princess Michael attending the races. It is unfortunate Viscountess Linley and Lady Helen Taylor did not make a public appearance.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Royal Highness

Look of delight signals Queen's Royal Ascot win
Quote:
er eyes filled with delight, this is the moment the Queen discovered her horse Dartmouth had won the Hardwick Stakes at Royal Ascot, by a whisker.

So close was the finish that it took a stewards inquiry to declare Dartmouth the winner over Highland Reel.

It was Her Majesty’s first winner at the meeting for three years, and it showed on her face when the result was announced.

She was presented with the trophy by her granddaughter, Princess Beatrice.
Pictures:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/d...NmRImUfMkk.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/d...jTnIyXLrZk.jpg

Video:
https://t.co/JiafQIhaqX
Old 06-18-2016, 05:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Congrats to Her Majesty!

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Congrats to the queen on her first in three years. Sad week for her with the loss of her horse, but Dartmouth brought a good end to the week for her

It was great to see Beatrice get to present the award to Grandma. I am sure they both enjoyed the moment. You could see Bea was definitely excited when her grandmother's horse won.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Congratulations to HM! That must be a nice belated birthday treat for her. I can imagine that she was very happy about Dartmouth winning.
It was nice to see Beatrice with her grandmother at Ascot today, too.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-19-2016, 10:39 PM
Courtier

I know they both have had their issues, but Andrew and Sarah seem to have genuinely nice, well brought up daughters. Beatrice and Eugenie sometimes surprise me with their interesting fashion choices but they always look pleasant and poised. And Beatrice seemed thrilled to present the trophy to her grandmother!
Old 06-19-2016, 10:54 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I agree with you. Despite all the problems and uphills and downhills the Yorks have encountered, they've always remained a happy, united family and that counts for quite a bit.

As Dman has said, the most important thing is that they were able to share Ascot this year as a family.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I thought that Prince Philip looked far more relaxed than last year upon spotting Sarah. IIRC, last year it wa said he was upset about Sarah's presence...
Old 06-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think he looked just fine upon seeing Sarah. The media has given him this reputation of seething with rage anytime Sarah is mentioned or seen with the family. I don't think that's the case at all. I also don't think Philip would disrespect Sarah in front of his granddaughters.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
From what I was reading, Philip and Sarah didn't come anywhere close to being near each other at Ascot. Other than being in the Parade Ring (which Philip wasn't), Sarah was seated in a totally different area for the races.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-20-2016, 09:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
From what I was reading, Philip and Sarah didn't come anywhere close to being near each other at Ascot. Other than being in the Parade Ring (which Philip wasn't), Sarah was seated in a totally different area for the races.
Right, but the media make it seem like his body would explode just talking about her or being near her. I honestly don't think Philip harbors any rage against Sarah nor would be disrespectful towards her if he ran into her at Royal Ascot.

I don't think this 95 year old man is holding on to the past as some would like to believe.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Yeah it's just like people carrying on about how the Queen 'rebuked' William on the balcony....same with making this adversity between Phillip and Sarah (or Diana which they do at times)...life is too short and it seems to me he has gotten on with life.

LaRae
Old 06-20-2016, 08:16 PM
Courtier

The DoE may have had some choice words to say about Sarah, (and Diana), in the past. For that matter, I doubt he let Andrew or Charles off the hook, either. But I would bet a lot of money that they were said in private, to his wife or very close friends, and that he's never acted in a way that's been disrespectful to his ex daughters in law. The Duke may be many things but I don't think he's mean spirited or petty.

And, as recent interviews have shown, his York grandchildren think the world of him - I doubt that would be the case if he'd treated their mother poorly.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Aristocracy

This may have already been discussed, but were the Middleton family at Royal Ascot? I have not seen any press coverage indicating that they were.

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot