The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although, at this time, Diarist is not actively posting in the threads, she very much is among us at least as the "ghostess with the mostess" for the time being. She's, once again, asked me to relay some information to clarify some things.

From Diarist:

‘’Please could I help with a little more information, as I have noted some errors of fact that have crept into people’s posts here.

It’s probably convenient to mention here that the tragic passing of Jo Cox MP was very much on people’s minds. Because of the commercial nature of horseracing in the UK, it was therefore not feasible to think of cancellation. All our prayers are with Jo’s family. I personally know that many of us will be contributing to the charitable memorial fund that no doubt will be set up to try to ensure that her family suffer no financial hardship.FYI, Racegoers are some of the most generous people I know. On a more spiritual side, Royal Ascot has a full chaplaincy service, and Ministers were today [and are always] available for those at the racecourse [racegoers, staff, ‘connections’ – which is the word to describe owners, trainers and anyone associated with a particular horse] who require spiritual assistance – available to those of all beliefs and none.Chaplains are chosen for being first class non-judgemental listeners.This is a side of Royal Ascot that bloggers and journalists do
n’t usually know about, as most have never been anywhere near Royal Ascot.

Anyway, could I please stress that Sarah, Duchess of York was certainly not in the Royal Box, so I am sorry to disappoint Dman in this respect.

I can advise that the links that have been posted showing Sarah, Andrew and B and E greeting the Queen show that the Yorks are in the ‘inside’ of the parade ring, near one of the entrances.This is most certainly NOT the Royal Box, or even the Royal Enclosure.To gain admittance to the ‘inside’ you don’t need a Royal Enclosure badge, just a Parade Ring badge. [that’s the very small round badge you can see Sarah wearing]. I’ve got one for the entire Ascot Week.Sarah’s parade ring badge is valid for one day only – Friday 17 June.You can tell because of its colour.The Weekly parade ring badge is the same colour as the weekly Royal Enclosure badge – which for 2016 is purple and red. I’ve got a parade ring badge because my husband and I are ‘connections’ of several horses running this week.

If you are only attending Royal Ascot in the Royal Enclosure for one day, you get a different coloured badge for the day you are attending. Royal Ascot also offer a ‘three day’ badge for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. If you are a ‘Connection’, you would be entitled to the appropriately- coloured parade ring badge as well.

continued....

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Majesty

To clarify, you only need the parade ring badge to enter the INSIDE of the parade ring. Everyone else just stands outside the railings of the parade ring – you still get a very good view of the inside of the Parade Ring.

If you are in the Royal Box, you also get a Royal Box badge. This is a perfect oval shape – if you look at some of the photos of the Royals, you can spot the purple oval badge with ‘Royal Box’ printed on it, and your name written in ink on it.

For the sake of clarity, I should make it clear that members of the Royal Household have their own section of the grandstand – known as the ‘Royal Household Stand’. This is NOT the Royal Box.Royal Household members have the appropriate words ‘Royal Household’ printed on their Royal Enclosure badge.NB. Members of the Royal Household may well be invited into the Royal Box on occasions, but they would need the above-mentioned Royal Box badge as well.

Sarah has NOT got either a ‘Royal Household’ over-printed Royal Enclosure Badge and she certainly has not got a Royal Box badge! She has an ordinary Royal Enclosure Day Badge, exactly the same that she had last year, so there has been no ‘upgrade’ to ‘Royal’ status for her!

For the record, I did not see Sarah in any part of the Royal Enclosure – just the [inside] Parade Ring.

What Sarah DOES have is the triangular [cardboard] badge of the Ascot Authority. Again, if you are interested, go and examine the photos, and you will be able to make out the wording.

The links to photos that claim Sarah is inside the Royal Box are incorrect. Sarah was instead in the Ascot Authority Box.The A.A. is the ‘commercial’ side of Ascot in that it is the Corporation that runs Ascot Racecourse.It’s important to stress that although Royal Ascot comes across as sociable, fun and in a sense almost frivolous, the fact is that British Horseracing is a hugely important industry for the UK, not just rich people ‘having fun’. Ditto the allied bloodstock industry.The Ascot Authority is a very important corporate body. Its corporate members – or more, properly, ‘Trustees’ can be distinguished by the small metal triangular badges that they have.The have their own box: the Ascot Authority Box.

continued.....

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-17-2016, 08:52 PM
Majesty

One of the functions of The Ascot Authority is to hire out private boxes to any Race-goers who wish to entertain friends and business contacts. These boxes are situated in the Grandstand, but are NOT part of the Royal Enclosure. It’s all part of the ‘commercial side’ of Royal Ascot, which, as I have said above, is far removed from the popular ‘frivolous’ or ‘My Fair Lady’ side of Royal Ascot. Sarah and the Yorks were in just such a box last year.

As a ‘marketing venture’ in order to enhance further the ‘commercial side’ of Royal Ascot [i.e. to make more money!!] since the re-development of Ascot Racecourse in 2005, the Ascot Authority has really started to capitalise on the ‘celebrity side’ of things, which I have to say some of us are not yet totally comfortable with. One of these ‘enhancements’ is the development of trophy presentations.

Before the redevelopment, trophy presentations were VERY low-key affairs in the [old] unsaddling enclosure. Now there is a very prominent ‘awards stage’! Moreover, the Ascot Authority invites celebrity presenters to come along and present the trophies after each race.These include actors, sportsmen and entertainers. If you are a celebrity presenter, the Ascot Authority members [i.e. Trustees] invite you to lunch in the AA box. They also give you a Royal Enclosure badge, but that is not strictly necessary, and a round parade ring badge which IS essential, as the ‘awards stage’ is accessed from the Parade Ring.

Some of the Important trophies are of course presented by members of the Royal Family e.g The Countess of Wessex, the Duke of Kent etc. You won’t see these BRF members with all the celebs in the AA box – they will be in the Royal Box and I daresay that they prefer to keep away from the ‘celebrity’ razamatazz!!

Prince Andrew of course presented the Coronation Stakes trophy today [Friday]. Theoretically he would have been expected to have been in the Royal Box, but he obviously opted for the Ascot Authority box because he could take Sarah as his guest – neatly ‘sidestepping’ the ‘Fergie Problem’, as apparently Prince Philip won’t let Fergie be seen in his presence. So in other words, Sarah was in the Ascot Authority box because Prince Andrew presented the trophy for the Coronation Stakes.

If you go to the photos in the Daily Mail link and find the photo of the goggled-eyed Fergie with her ‘friend in the Royal Box’(sic)it’s actually Fergie in the Ascot Authority Box greeting Barry Humphries [we can only see his back view].BH presented the Commonwealth Cup today….

Don’t blame the Daily Mail and the other papers too much – their journalists are not experts at everything and don’t necessarily have the same experience that some of us have.

Could I say that the photos of Royal Ascot that appear in the Press always seem to be unrepresentative in my humble opinion. The cameras appear to focus on the prominent, the stupid, the freaks. Most people in the RE are correctly and quietly dressed, and often very beautifully. But that’s not ‘news’ is it?

Finally, one more thing which I would like to add. I know what I have said above because I am very privileged, very fortunate, to be moving in this sort of world because of my background. But it doesn’t in any way make me a ‘better’ or ‘superior’ type of person. We now live in the 21st century and to my mind there are only two ‘classes’ of people: the decent and the nasty. And that is what is REALLY important...
― John Lennon
Old 06-17-2016, 09:00 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks to Diarist and Osipi from me!
Old 06-17-2016, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, thanks Osipi and Diarist. It's always great to get insider information and that was most interesting! Poor Fergie, all those strategies to avoid humiliation...
Old 06-17-2016, 10:12 PM
Majesty

To be honest, I don't see it as strategies to avoid humiliation but taking caution as to not create any awkward moments for anyone as every one there was attending to enjoy the races. It just worked out rather well that Andrew, Sarah and the girls could attend as a family which is the whole point.
― John Lennon
Old 06-17-2016, 10:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

As a ‘marketing venture’ in order to enhance further the ‘commercial side’ of Royal Ascot [i.e. to make more money!!] since the re-development of Ascot Racecourse in 2005, the Ascot Authority has really started to capitalise on the ‘celebrity side’ of things, which I have to say some of us are not yet totally comfortable with. One of these ‘enhancements’ is the development of trophy presentations.

Before the redevelopment, trophy presentations were VERY low-key affairs in the [old] unsaddling enclosure. Now there is a very prominent ‘awards stage’! Moreover, the Ascot Authority invites celebrity presenters to come along and present the trophies after each race.These include actors, sportsmen and entertainers. If you are a celebrity presenter, the Ascot Authority members [i.e. Trustees] invite you to lunch in the AA box. They also give you a Royal Enclosure badge, but that is not strictly necessary, and a round parade ring badge which IS essential, as the ‘awards stage’ is accessed from the Parade Ring.
Osipi, thank you for sharing Diarists comments. I have gone back and started reading her posts from the past and they are so informative. I have placed in bold from the quote something I don't understand. Diarist said that AA members give these celebrities a Royal Enclosure badge. I thought it was strictly up to the Queen who received Royal Enclosure badges.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Looks like Sarah have a Royal Enclosure Badge and is in the Royal Box. She's pictured in the same spot Catherine, Sophie and Mary was in in these pictures. Even in the previous times she attended, she was pictured in the Royal Box with Andrew and her daughters.

Fergie is excited to greet the Queen at Royal Ascot | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Majesty

Don't quote me on this but from what Diarist has stated, I am thinking that the Royal Enclosure encompasses quite a bit more than the Royal Box. Its the Royal Box which HM, The Queen has total dominance over who is in and who is out.

As there has been mentioned of a Royal Household area and the Ascot Authority area and perhaps some of the private boxes under the AA's domain. The Royal Box is the premium royal seating for HM and her guests and family.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. Corrected myself here too as the Ascot Authority area is not within the Royal Enclosure.
― John Lennon
Old 06-17-2016, 10:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Perhaps she used the other suite that's connected to The Queen's balcony, but she's in the Royal enclosure-
Duchess of York completes reconciliation with Royal family as she curtseys to the Queen at Ascot - Telegraph

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-17-2016, 10:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Looks like Sarah have a Royal Enclosure Badge and is in the Royal Box. She's pictured in the same spot Catherine, Sophie and Mary was in in these pictures. Even in the previous times she attended, she was pictured in the Royal Box with Andrew and her daughters.

Fergie is excited to greet the Queen at Royal Ascot | Daily Mail Online
She was photographed in the Parade Ring but was seated in the Ascot Authority box for the races. Trust what Diarist has explained. She was there and saw it firsthand and is very much involved in Royal Ascot week and everything it entails.

If you scroll through the pictures in the link you've posted, you'll notice the difference between the badges worn by Sarah and Charles. Sarah's isn't purple and red (the Queen's racing colors) which gains access to the Royal Box.

The area where Sarah, the girls and even Andrew were seated is the Ascot Authority box. The Royal Enclosure and the Royal Box are two horses of different colors (pun intended for all you racing fans).

Wow! I have really exceeded my goal of learn something new everyday this past week with Ascot.
― John Lennon
Old 06-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is this year the first year that Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark have attended Royal Ascot?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
She was photographed in the Parade Ring but was seated in the Ascot Authority box for the races. Trust what Diarist has explained. She was there and saw it firsthand and is very much involved in Royal Ascot week and everything it entails.

If you scroll through the pictures in the link you've posted, you'll notice the difference between the badges worn by Sarah and Charles. Sarah's isn't purple and red (the Queen's racing colors) which gains access to the Royal Box.

The area where Sarah, the girls and even Andrew were seated is the Ascot Authority box which is (from what I understand) within the Royal Enclosure. The Royal Enclosure and the Royal Box are two horses of different colors (pun intended for all you racing fans).

Wow! I have really exceeded my goal of learn something new everyday this past week with Ascot.
The important part is that she's in the Royal Enclosure. I'm glad shes back attending Ascot with her family.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The important part is that she's in the Royal Enclosure. I'm glad shes back attending Ascot with her family.
Actually, I've amended my post after rereading and finding the fact that the Ascot Authority box is not part and parcel of the Royal Enclosure. I'm learning a lot about Ascot this week as is just about everyone else thanks to Diarist.

You're right on the money that the only thing that really matters is that Andrew, Sarah and their daughters were able to spend the day at Ascot as a family.
― John Lennon
Old 06-17-2016, 11:44 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder if The Queen upset the bookies by wearing blue with a yellow hat. How do they pay out on that one. Unless of course you just bet on the hat colour alone.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I wonder if The Queen upset the bookies by wearing blue with a yellow hat. How do they pay out on that one. Unless of course you just bet on the hat colour alone.
Shhhhhhh.... I don't think its general knowledge about the "code" and the "racing tips" that the Queen can possibly give out. HM knows her horses and their statistics and everything else leading up to a race so if anyone knows the potential of a horse in a race, it'd be her. Usually too, racing colors are two toned such as blue and orange or the Queen's own racing colors of red and purple. You'll notice in the photographs of the Queen's horse Guy Fawkes going down, his rider was wearing the Queen's colors.

We have to remember too that HM put the clothes on that she wore a long time before the race started and nothing is ever a "for sure" thing. Perhaps she just has good hunches.
― John Lennon
Old 06-18-2016, 12:15 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen and Beatrice wore blue and orange. The Queen almost matching the winner's colors exactly. Her dress was orange and blue.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6097042132.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6085993355.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6162362296.jpg
Old 06-18-2016, 12:30 AM
Majesty

There are two occasions where I think HM is at her happiest. Horse racing and the Braemer games in Scotland.

I can imagine that right now, during this week, HM is seriously missing and thinking of her best racing buddy Lord Porchy. They were so close when it came to all things horses and probably from that friendship, the Queen developed her keen sense of a horse's attributes and abilities. You always remember a friend like that.
― John Lennon
Old 06-18-2016, 09:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Carriage procession for today;
https://twitter.com/majestymagazine/...34534711611392
Old 06-18-2016, 10:41 AM
Majesty

A BT article with four good quality pics of especially M&F at Ascot.

The pic of Frederik and Edward is particularly good.

Mary og Frederik jublede med de britiske kongelige

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot