The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-16-2016, 01:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
Beatrice looks very nice today, why can't she dress this way all the time?? Elegant but simple, fits her body type perfectly.
I must of googled the wrong day, the outfit for Bea that I really liked was the cream colored dress, maybe that was day 2?

Old 06-16-2016, 01:45 PM
Majesty

It was nice to see Prince and Princess Michael and Lord Frederic attending the race. Lord Frederick Windsor, Princess Michael of Kent and Prince Michael at Ascot 2016 | Getty Images

I hope Viscount and Viscountess Linley, Lady Helen Taylor, and Lady Sarah Chatto will make a public appearance at Ascot tomorrow.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:57 PM
Royal Highness

CP Frederik's top hat looks odd. Is that a common Danish hat design ?

Princess Mary looks nice, but a little bit "overenthusiastic" in the royal box. I believe she could have been a little bit more discreet when rooting for her horse. It is probably a new experience for her though, so her excitement is understandable.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
CP Frederik's top hat looks odd. Is that a common Danish hat design ?

Princess Mary looks nice, but a little bit "overenthusiastic" in the royal box. I believe she could have been a little bit more discreet when rooting for her horse. It is probably a new experience for her though, so her excitement is understandable.

What's wrong with his top hat?

Exactly why shouldn't she be excited? We've seen a lot of excitement in the Royal box over the years.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
What's wrong with his top hat?

Exactly why shouldn't she be excited? We've seen a lot of excitement in the Royal box over the years.

If you look at the picture, compared to Edward's hat (the tradittional top hat), Frederik's seems to be shorter and wider. On you second question, the other ladies, including Sophie and Catherine, were far more contained in their "excitement" compared to Mary.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
So if Charles was not present at a banquet with Camilla on her own attending, she would take precedence after Anne?! That´s hard to believe or imagine....
No - at official events they take their normal precedence.

The changes only apply in private. The Queen changed the private precedence so that in private situations Alexandra was ahead of Camilla and now Beatrice and Eugenie as well would be ahead of Camilla and Kate but only in private.

Many press have reported on this and seem to ignore the word 'private' and apply it as a blanket case and sadly so do many posters here and elsewhere.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Is The Queen wearing the diamond and sapphire brooch that Diana used to wear as a chocker?
No, she's wearing Prince Alberts brooch. It was given to Queen Victoria before her wedding by her future husband and worn for the wedding. It's similar but not the same one that Diana got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If you look at the picture, compared to Edward's hat (the tradittional top hat), Frederik's seems to be shorter and wider. On you second question, the other ladies, including Sophie and Catherine, were far mor contained in their "excitement" compared to Mary.
Have you seen the Queen watch the races? She's been seen bouncing and waving and running and lord knows what else. I doubt Mary was any different.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen's horse Guy Fawkes sadly had to be put down today after he broke his leg during a fall in the final race today.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh no, hate to hear that I had heard he fell in the race but no that he broke his leg. I am a huge horse lover and it breaks my heart to hear.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Oh okay. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew my eyes had to be playing tricks on me. Got too excited!

Sorry for the misinformation, Pranter.

Oh no worries, no harm intended. That's quite the brooch when you see a close up. Mercy!

LaRae
Old 06-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It was nice to see Lord Frederick Windsor at Ascot today as I don't recall him attending the previous days. The old photos of Zara at the family day at Ascot are sweet too, Zara reminds me a little of Louise there.

As for Mary's overexcitement yesterday, I don't see it much personally, because Sophie, Catherine and HM were also excited yesterday. It's a natural reaction at an event like Ascot, which I can imagine is an incredibly exciting day for the RF given their passion for horses. Mary most likely felt the same way, and it's also her first time attending, so she may not be fully aware of the "behaviour" at Ascot.

That was also saddening to read about poor Guy Fawkes. HM must be so upset...

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-16-2016, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

So, today, I was thinking about the passing of the glove at Ascot. It seems to be a generational thing.

Today, The Queen, The Princess Royal, The Duchess or Cornwall, Princess Alexandra, Princess Michael and the Duchess of Gloucester still wear gloves to Ascot.

Of course, it’s impossible to know if there are gloves in the odd handbag, and Getty searches can be incomplete, but here’s an unofficial list of the last time I could spot these ladies with gloves at Ascot. In no particular order.

Princess Haya – 2011 http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/158...cGgWOtBA%3d%3d
Sarah Ferguson- 2015 http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/477...IeBa360Q%3d%3d
Countess of Wessex – 2002 http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/521...2bEV0FK%2bA%3d
Serena Linley - 2013 http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/170...oT1ZUOiQ%3d%3d
Zara Tindall – 1989, (interestingly, Mom is gloves off in the photos I found, but Anne is carrying a large handbag that year. And I suspect, Moms find gloves a bit of a handful when with their bit of a handful). http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/521...hPl%2bXy6ZQ%3d
Diana, Princess of Wales, 1991 http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...ure-id79730131
BTW – if you ever have an odd hour, old Royal Ascot photos are a treat to look through.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No - at official events they take their normal precedence.
The changes only apply in private. The Queen changed the private precedence so that in private situations Alexandra was ahead of Camilla and now Beatrice and Eugenie as well would be ahead of Camilla and Kate but only in private.
Many press have reported on this and seem to ignore the word 'private' and apply it as a blanket case and sadly so do many posters here and elsewhere.

In private?! That doesn´t makes sense to me even less...
You mean, when they´re on their Scotland holidays, doing a picnic, Princess Alexandra, a, sorry for that, minor Royal, and daughters of a Queen´s younger son, are allowed to sit with HM on blanket 1, while the future Queens have to sit on blanket 2...?!
Old 06-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Technically - yes. It is more about who enters rooms before whom etc but yes if HM didn't suggest otherwise then Princess Alexandra - the Queen's first cousin and one to whom she is very close - would sit with her while her daughters-in-law would sit on the next blanket.

As the size of the family grew and there were issues about who would be entering rooms first and sitting closest to The Queen it was easier to come up with an private order of precedence - it stops fights etc. It meant that Camilla wouldn't sit ahead of Anne and Alexandra (as the wife of the heir to the throne that was her right - even in private) and it seems there was some upset about that idea back in 2005 so the private precedence order which placed 'born princesses' ahead of 'married-in princesses' was issued and somehow made public. It may have been around earlier than that but in the 'anti-Camilla' era of much of the press they grabbed that tit-bit and run with it.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
In private?! That doesn´t makes sense to me even less...
You mean, when they´re on their Scotland holidays, doing a picnic, Princess Alexandra, a, sorry for that, minor Royal, and daughters of a Queen´s younger son, are allowed to sit with HM on blanket 1, while the future Queens have to sit on blanket 2...?!
Yes, when it comes to women, order of precedence is based on physical relation to the queen. The more closely related, the closer you sit. When they are accompanied by their husband it changes, as they take their husband's place in the pecking order.

The change in private really only affects Camilla. Though not physically related to the queen, in public, she comes second to her. The queen's changes simply put Camilla in her proper placement when Charles isn't there. We go from closest to the queen and move out.

So if they had a pinic:

if the blankets seated 4:
Queen
Anne
Bea
Eugenie

blanket 2:
Louise
Zara
Alexandra
Camilla

blanket 3:
Kate
Sophie
D of G
D of K

In public, say carriages if only the women

carriage 1:
queen
Camilla
Anne
Beatrice

carriage 2:
Eugenie
Louise
Zara
Alexandra

carriage 3:
same as blanket 3
Old 06-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Majesty

Thanks, Wartenberg.

Fascinating!
There is nothing so complicated that you can't make it even more complicated.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The changes only apply in private.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The change in private really only affects Camilla. The queen's changes simply put Camilla in her proper placement when Charles isn't there. We go from closest to the queen and move out.
Quote:
It may have been around earlier than that but in the 'anti-Camilla' era of much of the press they grabbed that tit-bit and run with it.
The highlighted speaks volumes.

Again, if it was private and existed in the 1980s but it only affects Camilla because the Queen want to put her in her place.

Yet the Queen made Camilla a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order in 2012 but expects her fall behind a 12 year.

This is not logical.

This is just nonsense created by an unnamed source just to trash Camilla and it keeps getting repeated.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
More about Mary, and her dress, from Daily Mail: Crown Princess Mary stuns in a vibrant orange dress at Royal Box at Ascot | Daily Mail Online

DM know perfectly well that comparing the BRF with foreign royals results in loads of comments among the wack... among the readers.

Notice the caption on one of the pics. Clear click-bait! - To me it looks more like Frederik is leaning forward to hear what Sophie is saying.
Not to mention referring to Kate as Kate Middleton, but Mary as Princess! - DM know exactly what they are doing!

I understand it's protocol for the gentlemen only to lift their hats slightly at Ascot?
You are absolutely right, but they did not succeed because the article received only 29 comments.

And although the Daily Fail has begun to write small articles about foreign royals after the abdications in the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain, there are no ordinary Brits who neither cares or knows anything about foreign royalty.

As a poster said when King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima meet HM: What a great honor it must be to meet the Queen. Both US Presidents, Popes, other heads of state and royalty is in awe of her.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

As has been already stated, let's get back on topic. If you wish to discuss order of precedence, you can take it to the Precedence - Who Outranks Who? thread. Any further off-topic posts will be deleted.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:45 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I just love it when the unexpected happens. With mentioning Diarist's excellent and informative posts here, I guess I caught her attention and she sent me more information via private message. As she has been gracious enough to give me permission to share her insights with you all, I am including the bulk of her PM here.

From Diarist:

Just to clarify - Divorcees were [as I said] allowed into the Royal Enclosure in the early 1950's, after Queen Mary had handed in her veto.

I've read through what people have been saying and I think that posters are getting muddled between Royal Ascot and the Royal Enclosure and the Royal Box. Basically, anyone can buy a ticket for Royal Ascot, but this will only admit you to the 'public enclosures' - formerly known as the 'Grandstand' and the 'Silver ring'. You only get tickets for these enclosures. You don't get a badge - badges [and they bear your name and so are not transferable] are only available for members of the Royal Enclosure. I have to say that the R.E. is becoming less exclusive year by year - you used to be very positively vetted - not so much now. The badges that are bi-coloured - red and purple, to echo the Queen's horseracing colours. Incidentally, the talk today in the R.E. was how wittily the Queen's outfit colours [blue and orange was a very clever reference to the colours of the winner of the Gold Cup - check it out yourself! The Queen was clearly signalling 'racing tip' to those of us who could read the 'code'.

A word about age limits. You have to be at least 16 to attend the Royal Enclosure, apart from Fridays and Saturdays where, as a special treat, school children from the age of 10 years old are permitted to attend. [I used to be granted half a day's leave from school to do so!!] Elsewhere on the course, there is theoretically no age limit, but because this is still school term time, it is highly unlikely that people would get permission to remove their children from school to attend. There is an exception to every rule - Zara P. attended the Royal Enclosure when she was under 10 and not on a Friday. This caused great comment, which happily diverted the attention of the Press from Princess Anne, who was going through a just-announced divorce!

A bit more 'gossip'. We in the R.E. are noticing how, little by little, small adaptations are being made to cope with the Queen's advancing years. She does not leave the Royal Box to attend the parade ring as much as she used to. There was a lovely informal moment today when Sophie, in the Parade Ring [standing near me] looked up and saw the Queen standing on the balcony above in the Royal Box which overlooks the Parade Ring on one side. [it overlooks the course on the other side]. Sophie immediately waved to her mother-in-law and then executed a perfect curtsey to her.

Harry has attended Royal Ascot on several previous occasions, unlike his brother. I believe that this is because Harry is much more interested in racing - don't forget he was part-owner of a horse wittily called Usain Colt [after the sprinter!] Diana was banned from the Royal Enclosure, but could have bought a ticket for the other enclosures. It was stated by biographers that what had happened was that just after the bitterness of the separation, Diana said that 'she would attend Gold Cup day', meaning the RE. Apparently the Queen thought this was a bit 'rich', as it is at the discretion of the Queen who attends the RE and the Royal Box. Diana was therefore told she could not attend the R.E. If you want to put this into context, the Royal Family at that time were still reeling from the shock of Morton and Panorama etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/d...D1Lqf1U9fQ.jpg

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot