The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-16-2016, 10:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer:
The Queen's Arrival at Ascot-
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalRepo...31588344639488

It appears to be the oval diamond and sapphire brooch.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the link!

She reminds me of her mother in that pic. I can't get a close enough look at the brooch...but didn't all of Diana's personal jewelry go to the boys? I can't remember the status of that particular piece..?

LaRae

Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Thanks for the link!

She reminds me of her mother in that pic. I can't get a close enough look at the brooch...but didn't all of Diana's personal jewelry go to the boys? I can't remember the status of that particular piece..?

LaRae
The brooch was a wedding present to Diana from The Queen Mother. I don't think it was meant to be Diana's personal property.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-16-2016, 10:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The brooch was a wedding present to Diana from The Queen Mother. I don't think it was meant to be Diana's personal property.

A wedding present wouldn't be a personal item...that would belong (as property) to the receiver?

LaRae
Old 06-16-2016, 10:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
A wedding present wouldn't be a personal item...that would belong (as property) to the receiver?

LaRae
I could've been a loan, just like the other jewels she let her wear. I could be wrong about this, but that brooch The Queen is wearing looks just like that brooch Diana wore with pearls.

Could be the Albert brooch he made for Victoria though. Anyway The Queen looks beautiful at Ascot today.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes. There is an order of precedence. Women's place of precedence changes a bit though if their husband is not present.
Husband being present makes a huge difference in the case of Camilla and Kate. Camilla, when her husband is there, is only second to the queen and DOE.
Elizabeth changed it up though. Prior to 2005, Camilla would have taken precedence over all ladies, save for the queen, and Sophie after her. Princesses of the blood do rank in precedence above those married in, when their husbands are not there.
So if Charles was not present at a banquet with Camilla on her own attending, she would take precedence after Anne?! That´s hard to believe or imagine....
Old 06-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Thanks for the link!

LaRae
Looks like the Albert Sapphire & Diamond brooch to me and not the one Diana used.

The Queen has one other large diamond and sapphire brooch from the Queen Mother that she has, AFAIK, only worn once on a trip to Rome a few years ago.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

No, its the Prince Albert brooch.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...1RuqJ97eXl.jpg
Old 06-16-2016, 11:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It does matter, actually. Kate is not on the same level as Mary. Mary is Crown Princess of Denmark and her husband, the Crown Prince, will be the next King when Queen Margrethe dies (which I hope will not be for a long time.)
Kate is married to the heir to the heir to the British throne. When, in the next reign, William and Kate are Prince and Princess of Wales, then they will be on the same level that Frederik and Mary are now. Until then they aren't.
As many posters explained before, Royal Highnesses do not curtsey to each other, no matter if one is an heir and another is not. The title "Majesty" makes the difference in that respect.
So, Mary and Catherine are both royal Highnesses and none of them has to curtsey to one another. But Mary, as a high profiled foreign royal guest and future Queen of Denmark, takes precedence over the Duchess when it comes to protocol (who sits where, who sits in what coach etc.) in that particular stage of both ladie´s life.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Oh okay. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew my eyes had to be playing tricks on me. Got too excited!

Quote:
Thanks for the link!

LaRae
Sorry for the misinformation, Pranter.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Here is a basic over view. I found the same information on the Ascot website, it is just compiled here
Royal Ascot dress code for the 2016 races and Ladies Day - Get Reading ....
  • Fascinators are not permitted; neither are headpieces which do not have a solid base covering a sufficient area of the head (four inches/10cm). [/QUOTE]
Thank you Countessmeout:
Can someone please explain what Princess Sarvath El Hassan is wearing, because it does not look 4 inches to me.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Nobility

The Queen joins Ladies Day at Royal Ascot | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-16-2016, 12:23 PM
Serene Highness

an embarrassment of riches today - I think all of the royal ladies have put their best foot forward. Anne is my personal favorite today - love the hat! Eugenie is on a winning streak and looks fresh and lovely (though I'm not sure if the sleeveless dress is skirting the rules a bit for a royal lady and Beatrice love her dress; hat is ok (too bad a little too much like granny) - but her dress is a flattering win. And HM always looks lovely and while I may not be a huge fan of the orange/ blue look - the albert sapphire brooch compensates immensely!

Bravo ladies day!
Old 06-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Nobility

Beelden En Foto's | Getty Images
Old 06-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Serene Highness

Beatrice looks very nice today, why can't she dress this way all the time?? Elegant but simple, fits her body type perfectly.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Thank you Countessmeout:
Can someone please explain what Princess Sarvath El Hassan is wearing, because it does not look 4 inches to me.
Princess Sarvath as a foreign guest is held to a different dress code in the royal enclosure. They are permitted to wear the national dress or service dress of their own country. It seems under that rule, she isn't held to the hat restriction that other ladies are. I know someone like Haya would most certainly have worn a hat, but Sarvath seems a bit more traditional.

Royal Family Pictures | Royalty Photo Gallery | Getty Images Canada

As for the earlier children's question about George, and Zara attending as a teen: Children are permitted in the royal enclosure but on 2 conditions:
1. they must be 10 years of age or older
2. are permitted on Friday and Saturday only

I wonder if we will start seeing Louise. She often attends horse events with her parents and she would probably enjoy Ascot. They are held to a similar dress code, but girls are allowed to wear fascinators and head pieces until they are 18, not proper hats.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Princess Sarvath as a foreign guest is held to a different dress code in the royal enclosure. They are permitted to wear the national dress or service dress of their own country. It seems under that rule, she isn't held to the hat restriction that other ladies are. I know someone like Haya would most certainly have worn a hat, but Sarvath seems a bit more traditional.

Royal Family Pictures | Royalty Photo Gallery | Getty Images Canada

As for the earlier children's question about George, and Zara attending as a teen: Children are permitted in the royal enclosure but on 2 conditions:
1. they must be 10 years of age or older
2. are permitted on Friday and Saturday only

I wonder if we will start seeing Louise. She often attends horse events with her parents and she would probably enjoy Ascot. They are held to a similar dress code, but girls are allowed to wear fascinators and head pieces until they are 18, not proper hats.
I imagine we'll see Louise attending soon but I do think they will wait until James is 10 and then both children can go. They go to the Christmas meeting at Ascot every year so Royal Ascot on a Saturday is definitely in their future. I can't wait to see Louise in some amazing hats in the future from the great Jane Taylor no doubt.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone know when Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie first started attending Royal Ascot?
Old 06-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Does anyone know when Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie first started attending Royal Ascot?
I searched Getty today - earliest I saw for Zara was '89 - so she would have been eight.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I assume you are referring to this:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/449656344022232554/

That was a 'family fun day' at Ascot. They seem to have them several times during the year.

She also attended one in 1987 which seems to have been a more casual jumping event at Ascot.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/158540849355909673/

Here is the schedule for events at Ascot this year. You can see the family days

https://www.ascot.co.uk/2016-fixtures

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot