The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol18 View Post
Normally like what Kate wears but she would not have looked out of place going to her own wedding in this outfit and do all of her clothes now have to cost a fortune.

Kate Middleton arrives to the Royal Ascot in a lace D&G dress
Why point out the cost of Kate's outfit when it is no more than the cost of what the other women ( and men) are wearing. The Ascot is a fancy event and the attendees dress to the nines. Unfair to just comment on Kate when she is no different than the rest. Or is this just a comment to pick apart Kate for the sake of unfairly criticizing her.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol18 View Post
Normally like what Kate wears but she would not have looked out of place going to her own wedding in this outfit and do all of her clothes now have to cost a fortune.

Kate Middleton arrives to the Royal Ascot in a lace D&G dress

What are you talking about? She's known for buying sale and discount clothing....of course she has some more expensive items too but she also re-wears many of them.

LaRae

Old 06-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Since (I think) CP Mary outranks Kate (right?)...were there any curtseys?

LaRae
Its my understanding that HRHs don't have to curtsey to one another
Old 06-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
is this just a comment to pick apart Kate for the sake of unfairly criticizing her.
That was exactly my reaction to this post !
Old 06-15-2016, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyT View Post
Its my understanding that HRHs don't have to curtsey to one another

Hmmm it's never clear to me how it all works....Mary is a CP while Kate is only a Duchess...although since William is there she would default to his rank, IIRC....but even so...while he's a prince he's not the heir yet so wouldn't Mary and her husband outrank them since Crown Prince seems to indicate a higher rank than prince?

LaRae
Old 06-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Majesty

A couple of observations.

I actually enjoy the hats. If you are to do something, why not go all the way!

Florence Brudelnell-Bruce is described as an old flame of Harry. She's very attractive! Why on earth did he let her go?

I notice the natives, perhaps very prudently, mostly carry umbrellas.

And I like the concept of placing a bet on the color of QMII's hat.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Majesty

interesting to see the visitors from outside the UK this year! how come frederik and mary attended specifically this year? since they have never attended previously, either ascot or other british races, i wonder what prompted them coming this year. personal interest? an invitation extended by the brits?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
interesting to see the visitors from outside the UK this year! how come frederik and mary attended specifically this year? since they have never attended previously, either ascot or other british races, i wonder what prompted them coming this year. personal interest? an invitation extended by the brits?
My guess would be an invitation from the Wessex'es. Since they accompanied M&F. And they know each other well.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Hmmm it's never clear to me how it all works....Mary is a CP while Kate is only a Duchess...although since William is there she would default to his rank, IIRC....but even so...while he's a prince he's not the heir yet so wouldn't Mary and her husband outrank them since Crown Prince seems to indicate a higher rank than prince?

LaRae

They are all Royal Highnesses so nobody needs to bow/curtsey to anyone else, just to the Queen (should they choose to do so).

Nice to see Frederick & Mary with Edward & Sophie.

Love the colour of the Queen's outfit and the baby blue on Sophie, not sure about Sophie's dress though. It looks a little long & doesn't flatter her figure (to me).

Love Camilla's hat but haven't seen a good photo of the rest of her outfit.

Hated Anne's outfit the first time I saw it and, sorry Anne, it hasn't improved.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post

They were invited guests of HM, DOE but more than likely they were asked by Sophie and Edward.

Quote:

LaRae

Ascot isn't such a formal event in that regard. Bows/Curtsies are given to The Queen out of respect in this environment.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What a lovely surprise to see the Danish Crown Prince and Princess present today.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Since (I think) CP Mary outranks Kate (right?)...were there any curtseys?

LaRae
No, there were no curtsies. The Cambridge's would bow and curtsey to The Queen of Denmank, but not the Crown Prince and Princess.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-15-2016, 03:16 PM
Royal Highness

In 2013, the Windsor Forest Stakes were renamed the Duke of Cambridge Stakes.

In 2016, William, the Duke of Cambridge, makes his first appearance.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:

LaRae
Probably two hundred years ago they would have followed the rule of precedence as you described it. As far as I know, the pre-revolutionary French court also distinguished between royal princes, princes of the blood and so on. Nowadays, when it comes to greetings and addressing the style (HM,HRH...) is what matters. This way, Frederik, Mary, William and Catherine are all equal.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Love the colour of the Queen's outfit and the baby blue on Sophie, not sure about Sophie's dress though. It looks a little long & doesn't flatter her figure (to me).

Love Camilla's hat but haven't seen a good photo of the rest of her outfit.

Hated Anne's outfit the first time I saw it and, sorry Anne, it hasn't improved.
Camilla is in a repeat of the outfit she wore on June 6, 2014 for the 70th anniversary of D Day. The coat, dress, hat, shoes and clutch are all the same only the jewelry is different.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
In 2013, the Windsor Forest Stakes were renamed the Duke of Cambridge Stakes.

In 2016, William, the Duke of Cambridge, makes his first appearance.
Yeah, it has taken him and his wife a while to get to Ascot. Although, it think it's due he and Catherine now stepping up.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-15-2016, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Indeed, a lovely surprise to see the Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary present today

They look to have had a blast.

It's nice to see Frederik and Mary with William and Kate again. I hope William and Kate will be seen mingle more and more with F&M and the other young Crown Prince couple. It could be nice for them.

But lovely to see Frederik and Mary arriving with Edward and Sophie. I have always had the feeling that Mary and Sophie are the type of women who would get along very well. And the two couples have been seen together quite some times. Great.

Pictures:
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bil...?itok=0MrvrWWg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6003410653.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...5999085631.jpg
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id540328084
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/540...ZQM5nYEg%3d%3d
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...94&oe=57F893AC
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bil...?itok=95apL5dF
http://herognu.dk/Upload/her-og-nu/2...kmedEdward.jpg
Old 06-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

LaRae
Kate is not 'only a duchess'. She is a HRH Princess...., Duchess is simply her husband's peerage. As Sophie is not simply a Countess. HRH's don't bow to one another. HRH bow to a HM, but not one another. Kate isn't referred to as Princess as she isn't in her own right, and they would have to call her Princess William. Unlike Princess Michael, Kate has her husband's peerage to go by instead.

Nice to see Fred and Mary there. They seemed to be having a good visit with the Wessexes. Though Sophie and Edward know all the continental royals, they seem to have good bond with both Fred and Joachim and their families.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

LaRae
Both Kate and Mary are princesses. Sure Mary is the Crown Princess - the same rank as Camilla but that doesn't mean that Mary isn't also a Princess and I don't think anyone has ever seen Kate curtsey to Camilla so she wouldn't be expected to curtsey to someone else of the same rank.

In the UK the designation Prince/Princess is an indication of someone of lower rank than someone who is a HRH Duchess/Countess as it means they are married to a man who has no title of his own.

When Birgitte married Richard in 1972 she was given the styling of HRH Princess Richard of Gloucester. When he inherited his father's titles she also stopped using the lower styling of Princess and started to use the higher title of Duchess.

Only one married in wife in the UK uses the style of Princess - Princess Michael of Kent. The others, Camilla, Kate, Sophie, Birgitte and Katherine all use Duchess or Countess as their titles because their husbands are peers of the realm while Prince Michael is still a commoner with no additional title to give his wife.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Both Kate and Mary are princesses. Sure Mary is the Crown Princess - the same rank as Camilla but that doesn't mean that Mary isn't also a Princess and I don't think anyone has ever seen Kate curtsey to Camilla so she wouldn't be expected to curtsey to someone else of the same rank.
Curtseying or not curtseying,
Does Prince Charles and Camilla, the equivalent of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary in Denmark, outrank his son and the wife of his son, or not?

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot