The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The Duke of Edinburgh's attitude to her is still 'glacial', by all accounts...

Well as a parent...I can't hardly blame him. The fact that the Queen tolerates her at all is interesting to me but then again she's putting the children before her own feelings.

I like Sarah...but she has behaved rather badly at times, even if we understand why she does or has done the things she's done...still makes me want to shake her sometimes.

LaRae

Old 06-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I've always gotten the impression that it's really only the Queen who likes her (outside the girls and Andrew)...she's not been chummy with any of them in years.

LaRae
Well, it's certainly been reported for a long time that the family, aside from those you mentioned, want as little to do with her as possible. And while I don't usually give much credence to what's reported in the British media, the family's actions speak for themselves (in terms of not being seen with her or not having her around). I did wonder if Sarah's presence might be the reason for Edward and Sophie's absence today, as they usually seem to attend most of the Ascot events, and particularly on this date (which is both their wedding anniversary as well as Sophie's father's birthday, and he usually comes along, too). But maybe I'm reading too much into things.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

From what I understand, the family do get along with Sarah and are very nice when they're in the presence of each other. She's divorced from the family, so she don't attend many events with the family, but none of them disrespect her in anyway and she don't disrespect them either.

As Sarah has said, The Queen isn't a judgmental person and is always kind to her. I think those two women have made their peace long ago.

It's always good to see the York's out and about as a family, especially at Royal Ascot.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-19-2015, 05:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
From what I understand, the family do get along with Sarah and are very nice when they're in the presence of each other. She's divorced from the family, so she don't attend many events with the family, but none of them disrespect her in anyway and she don't disrespect them either.

As Sarah has said, The Queen isn't a judgmental person and is always kind to her. I think those two women have made their peace long ago.

It's always good to see the York's out and about as a family, especially at Royal Ascot.

Mmmm i don't think all the members of the family get along with her. The Duke of Edimburg reportedly can's stand her, as the Wales clan (don't forget that she was snubbed big time in 2011 for the Royal wedding).
Sarah is a difficult case, at least she and Andrew were able to maintain a family for the sake of their two daughters...
Old 06-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

I'm under the impression that, yes, they're probably polite to Sarah when they're face to face with her, but that they try to avoid such situations. Yes, Sarah is divorced from Andrew, but I don't think that's the main issue - that has an impact on official events, of course, but not necessarily social ones. And Andrew and Sarah do still live together, so it's not a conventional divorce situation in which they've completely gone their separate ways and Sarah is out of the picture. I just suspect that other members of the family disapprove of some of her behavior and probably, above all, don't trust her.

However, that's just my impression. I agree that it's nice to see the York family together, and so publicly. They do seem to be a tight-knit group.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Well, it's certainly been reported for a long time that the family, aside from those you mentioned, want as little to do with her as possible. And while I don't usually give much credence to what's reported in the British media, the family's actions speak for themselves (in terms of not being seen with her or not having her around). I did wonder if Sarah's presence might be the reason for Edward and Sophie's absence today, as they usually seem to attend most of the Ascot events, and particularly on this date (which is both their wedding anniversary as well as Sophie's father's birthday, and he usually comes along, too). But maybe I'm reading too much into things.
Edward and Sophie normally only attend the first 3 days of Ascot anyway so their absence today was expected, although I did sort of hope they would go as it's their anniversary. No such luck! Private day instead.

I am glad Sarah attended today and it was lovely to see her in the Royal Box with the family. Any time she is with them she is always courteous and gracious to the Queen. I do, though, still find it odd that she is still living with Prince Andrew. I would rather they just remarried or she moved out and on with her life.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Edward and Sophie normally only attend the first 3 days of Ascot anyway so their absence today was expected, although I did sort of hope they would go as it's their anniversary. No such luck! Private day instead.
Ah, that makes sense. I'm just so used to them being there most of the time that I don't pay attention to which specific events/days they typically attend (but I figured someone might - thank you!).
Old 06-19-2015, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Ah, that makes sense. I'm just so used to them being there most of the time that I don't pay attention to which specific events/days they typically attend (but I figured someone might - thank you!).
No worries! Sophie's dad attended with her yesterday but it would have been nicer to see him on his birthday. They also never attend on the Saturday but I imagine when James turns 10 they will as children over 10 can attend the Royal Enclosure on Saturday.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
No worries! Sophie's dad attended with her yesterday but it would have been nicer to see him on his birthday. They also never attend on the Saturday but I imagine when James turns 10 they will as children over 10 can attend the Royal Enclosure on Saturday.
Ah. I didn't see him in any of the pictures, but it's possible I was distracted by hats.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Serene Highness

I'm confused, is the Royal Enclosure and the Royal Box the same thing? I thought not. I thought the Royal Box was in the Royal Enclosure area. People in the "area" are not necessarily in the "box". For instance, Earl Spencer was in the enclosure yesterday, but I don't believe he was in the box. Sorry, if I am misunderstanding.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Who is Mr Edward Young?
I think he is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward...%28courtier%29
Old 06-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I'm confused, is the Royal Enclosure and the Royal Box the same thing? I thought not. I thought the Royal Box was in the Royal Enclosure area. People in the "area" are not necessarily in the "box". For instance, Earl Spencer was in the enclosure yesterday, but I don't believe he was in the box. Sorry, if I am misunderstanding.
The Royal Box is in the Royal Enclosure but only the royal family and invited guests are allowed into the Royal Box. For example on Tuesday Lady Sarah Chatto "only" had a Royal Enclosure badge on, therefore was not allowed into the Royal Box. The same with Zara and Mike on Tuesday, whereas today they had different nametags on stating Royal Box.

The Royal Enclosure is the area surrounding the royal box, the winners enclosure and parade ring where people with Royal Enclosure admittance can go. You need to be invited into the Royal Enclosure by someone who has been a member for 4 years or more.

They have different name tags as well - the Royal Box clearly states "Royal Box" above the person's name, whereas the Royal Enclosure has just that above their name. The namebadges have to be purchased as well and they don't come cheap. I believe a Royal Enclosure badge for 3 days is nearly 300, although I am unsure if the royal family are required to pay for theirs.

Sarah's name tag today said "Royal Household" but I have no idea what that means...
Old 06-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you, that is what I thought but reports kept referring to the fact that she was in the Royal Box.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Sarah's name tag today said "Royal Household" but I have no idea what that means...
I have been unable to find a definitive list, but, from what I have read about RF members wearing such a badge in previous years, I am guessing it means that though the wearer of the badge is not special enough to be allowed into the Royal Box - on that day, at least - they are more special than the other special people in the Royal Enclosure, and, it being England, it has been decided that these people need to wear something that signifies this elevated level of specialness lest they be mistaken for the other Royal Enclosure members who are ordinary race club members that have "risen through the ranks".

I'm guessing Royal Household signifies a personal connection to the Royal Family by birth or marriage.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The Queen's horse, Capel Path, suffered an injury during a race and had to be taken from the track by ambulance. He's been taken to a vet for examination/xrays and they will determine from there what to do next.

Several hundred horses are put down every year after track injuries. Jumping/Event horses are put down as well. It's a risk that goes with the sport. It happens in other disciplines too but most people just aren't that aware of it.

LaRae

Thanks!! I hope Capel Path is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Oh dear, I was just riveted by the lack of bodice on her gown. Looking at someone's bony sternum is not very attractive. I'm surprised they let her in the gate. Tacky, very tacky . . . but at least her shoulder straps were more than and inch wide.

I thought the US brigade certainly made an elegant military splash on Ladies day. They'd have had to beat the ladies off with a stick! (even bigger)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...4637583217.jpg

For once I'm going to say this and mean it when it comes to Ascot fashions....

Who cares about that!! There's Men in Uniform!! US Navy Men in Uniform!! In their Class A Dress Whites too!!

Quote:
Myself I think Zara looks nice, and it's not about her weight...the only thing I questioned is that she is rather out of shape for a professional athlete. I am surprised to find her muscle tone so loose, considering her job...I would think she would have been training to get things tightened up.

LaRae

Yes, today is a big improvement on Day One, but like you I also don't get it. For someone who keeps saying she's going to be in Rio and such a big year regarding Qualifying for those Games coming up....I don't get it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The Duke of Edinburgh's attitude to her is still 'glacial', by all accounts...

Try Ice Age Chill and I think you'll be closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Mmmm i don't think all the members of the family get along with her. The Duke of Edimburg reportedly can's stand her, as the Wales clan (don't forget that she was snubbed big time in 2011 for the Royal wedding).
Sarah is a difficult case, at least she and Andrew were able to maintain a family for the sake of their two daughters...

She was not snubbed for the Wedding. William hasn't had anything to do w/Sarah for close to 20yrs now. Why would you invite anyone you've had next to no contact w/for that long a time, combined w/the continuing stunts Sarah manages to pull that usually has some effect on the Royal Family, to your Wedding? The only one who feels that way is Sarah and that she does feel that way is just sad.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Tiggersk8 I've looked for an update on Capel Path but so far can't find anything since yesterday when they said he was resting comfortably at the vet

I hope Zara gets in gear. I'd hate to see her miss out.

LaRae
Old 06-20-2015, 01:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
She was not snubbed for the Wedding. William hasn't had anything to do w/Sarah for close to 20yrs now. Why would you invite anyone you've had next to no contact w/for that long a time, combined w/the continuing stunts Sarah manages to pull that usually has some effect on the Royal Family, to your Wedding? The only one who feels that way is Sarah and that she does feel that way is just sad.
Now if it were Harry's wedding, it would have been altogether different.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree that it wasn't a snub. William hasn't spoken to her since before Diana's death, and she's never met Catherine. I don't think Mark Phillips was invited either.

I do think it's funny Sarah gives frequent interviews about the Cambridges to the American media. She'll only admit to not knowing Catherine when she gets boxed into a corner by the interviewer. Like when she was interviewed on Access Hollywood, Billy Bush kept asking her about her past experience with Catherine and she kept giving him coy, flowery answers. Finally, he asked about the last conversation between the two women, and she came clean about them never meeting. Billy gave her such a WTF? face. haha

As privacy obsessed as the Cambridges are, I doubt they enjoy that Fergie runs to television twice a year to dish on them. I can't see her being invited to any event they are attending - excluding Harry's wedding. Lucky for her they don't attend Ascot.

I do agree that she'll be invited Harry's wedding. Unlike William, Harry is extremely close to the Yorks. Now that would be a snub.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The Royal Box is in the Royal Enclosure but only the royal family and invited guests are allowed into the Royal Box. For example on Tuesday Lady Sarah Chatto "only" had a Royal Enclosure badge on, therefore was not allowed into the Royal Box. The same with Zara and Mike on Tuesday, whereas today they had different nametags on stating Royal Box.

The Royal Enclosure is the area surrounding the royal box, the winners enclosure and parade ring where people with Royal Enclosure admittance can go. You need to be invited into the Royal Enclosure by someone who has been a member for 4 years or more.

They have different name tags as well - the Royal Box clearly states "Royal Box" above the person's name, whereas the Royal Enclosure has just that above their name. The namebadges have to be purchased as well and they don't come cheap. I believe a Royal Enclosure badge for 3 days is nearly 300, although I am unsure if the royal family are required to pay for theirs.

Interesting point according to The Telegraph, the York contingent was not in the royal box, but a separate suite with a balcony adjacent to the royal box. Explains why she was in the enclosure and curtseyed,but she was not with the royal family.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-at-Ascot.html
Old 06-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Nobility

Day 5:
Bilder Und News Fotos | Getty Images

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot